Legalizing of HEMP for Jumper Juice!

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
observer1

Somerset, KY

#1 Aug 19, 2010
I am dedicating this thread to Jumper Juice.

The discussion is ways to boost economy in Pulaski County.
Please feel free to discuss all aspects of products, ideas and JOBS for Pulaski County.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2 Aug 20, 2010
observer1 wrote:
I am dedicating this thread to Jumper Juice.
The discussion is ways to boost economy in Pulaski County.
Please feel free to discuss all aspects of products, ideas and JOBS for Pulaski County.
Hey!!!!! There it is!!!!(sorry I missed this yesterday) Let's start w/ hemp....not pot, HEMP. What can it be used for? Lubricants for machines, ultra strong fibers: clothing and other textiles, and the processing of it doesn't require harsh chimicals. Also, it can be used to manufacture paper, A LOT more efficiently than wood pulp. Did you know that 1 acre of hemp can produce the same amount of paper that requires FIVE acres of pine? Did you know that it doesn't the require the harsh bleaching and acids it requires to make wood pulp paper? How about the fact that it can be refined and used to run in cars? How about the fact that hemp oil can be used to make plastic, along w/ its fibers? There are also a littany of lists of the medical advantages of hemp's cousin, marijuana. Speaking of marijuana, did you know that by dsipersing hemp seeds via air, you can eradicate outdoor hemp fields in as little as four generations?(for all of you anti-pot people) Or how about using hemp composites for everything from shingles (w/ a 50 year warranty, I might add!!!), to insulation, to composite boards, to even concrete reinforcement! Did you know that w/ hemp's ultra-fast growing taproot, it can even be used for soil ersosion control? What about the fact that it filters more greenhouse gasses, i.e. carbon, than ANY plant on the face of this planet??? Or, that hemp can be used in crop rotations to actually REPLENISH the fields and make yields on other crops higher?

I'm willing to wager there aren't a lot of you out there who know this. Not your fault, you've been lied to. Hemp IS NOT POT!!!!! Do not beleive those BS 1930's smear campaigns! Hemp was made illegal and included in the marijuana act of 1937 because the DuPonts wanted it that way, and their money controlled a substantial part of the federal government at that time. Think about it folks, how synthetic fibers do they make? Do you have ANY inkling as to how many of their chemicals are involved in paper making? What about their petro-chemicals they used in plastic manufacture? Read between the lines people, and wake up. We can be our OWN people again! How many of you have or know someone who has a farm? Know where an empty factory is? How about Somerset Refinery making bio-fuel? We could world leaders right here in Kentucky and keep the d*mn money where it SHOULD stay.......K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y!!!! !!

Sound good? Only ONE choice in November 2011......Gatewood/Riley for gov!

www.gatewood.com and click "on the issues"....it will tell you a good little snippet about Kentucky bio-fuel. As well as lead you to other avenues to alternative fuels and benefits of hemp.
Check it out folks, it doesn't hurt to read up on this stuff and get educated so you can form an INFORMED opinion on the subject.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#3 Aug 20, 2010
^^^^^^^...eradicate outdoor POT fields.....sorry was typing WAY too fast! I get excited about this topic. My family has 93 acres setting empty since tobacco became under such heavy fire. We could make a good living and employ some people in the county.

Remember what they said during WWII, "Hemp for Victory!"

“Stupid Is As Stupid Does”

Level 1

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4 Aug 20, 2010
LEGALIZE WEED GOOOOOOO NRML

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#5 Aug 20, 2010
Where are all of the "liberal" hacks? Still defending Barry Sortero? LMAO!

“Irish Eyes, T'salagi Temper”

Level 2

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#6 Aug 20, 2010
JJ, you know I agree with your stance of the legalization of HEMP and yes, it would boost the economy. The ones who disagree still think of HEMP as marijuana and will never research it to see the difference.
We could also start planting rice again in the state of Kentucky, along with flax, sugar cane and coffee. There are old rice beds in McCreary county and plenty of fertile land all over the state.
As far as other textiles, why not cotton as well?
Chickory grows in the wild here. Why not cultivate it? Ginseng is also easy to raise and a dry pound of it is expensive. America needs to get back to using our NATURAL resources! We depend on foreign trade way too freaking much. If ties were severed, we'd be in a world of hurt.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#7 Aug 23, 2010
Phoenix Rising_76 wrote:
JJ, you know I agree with your stance of the legalization of HEMP and yes, it would boost the economy. The ones who disagree still think of HEMP as marijuana and will never research it to see the difference.
We could also start planting rice again in the state of Kentucky, along with flax, sugar cane and coffee. There are old rice beds in McCreary county and plenty of fertile land all over the state.
As far as other textiles, why not cotton as well?
Chickory grows in the wild here. Why not cultivate it? Ginseng is also easy to raise and a dry pound of it is expensive. America needs to get back to using our NATURAL resources! We depend on foreign trade way too freaking much. If ties were severed, we'd be in a world of hurt.
You're exactly right.

“Ride the wind”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#8 Aug 23, 2010
I can honestly say I have received some education on the subject of hemp that I really didn't know about. Thank you JumperJuice

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#9 Aug 23, 2010
Blues_Gal wrote:
I can honestly say I have received some education on the subject of hemp that I really didn't know about. Thank you JumperJuice
No problem....pass it on. Knowledge is king.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#10 Aug 23, 2010
Blues_Gal wrote:
BTW, did you know that our Declaration of Independence AND the U.S. Constitution were written on hemp paper? And it's illegal????? WTH?????

“Ride the wind”

Location hidden

#11 Aug 23, 2010
JumperJuice wrote:
<quoted text>BTW, did you know that our Declaration of Independence AND the U.S. Constitution were written on hemp paper? And it's illegal????? WTH?????
No I didn't, I was taught that it was written on parchment and that it was an urban legend that it was written on hemp.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#12 Aug 23, 2010
It's a shame so many out there are worried more about hurling insults over partisan politics than worrying about our own state's welfare. This is EXACTLY what's wrong w/ partisan politics. Nobody gives a flip about discussing REAL issues and ways to solve them, but as soon as someone bashes ol' Barry O, or Georgey Porgey......the flood gates open. This is why we need non-partisan folks mixed in the power structure. Someone to keep them honest and to mediate all of the d*mn quarrelling so MAYBE we could get something done......some REAL change.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#13 Aug 23, 2010
Blues_Gal wrote:
<quoted text>No I didn't, I was taught that it was written on parchment and that it was an urban legend that it was written on hemp.
That is true, but there is such a thing as vegetable parchment, so there may be more to that legend! Also, the FIRST draft of the US Constitution was written on hemp paper, and the final draft was on parchment. That's where the "legend" comes from. That, and the fact that almost ALL paper of the era was made from hemp. So, speculation is that the Declaration was originally drafted on hemp paper. However, the last statement is just speculation and cannot be proved.
observer1

Somerset, KY

#14 Aug 23, 2010
JJ your knowledge is very useful, more people need to evaluate the reasoning of government control over what can and can't be produced on private land. The farmers has all but closed their gates of production because of the lack of funding/profitablity due to government control.
The governor of Kentucky needs to take a long look into Products made in Kentucky. Farmers need the assurance of using the land as an opportunity, not as fields of an empty dream.
Why are we not looking into bio-fuels, solar panels???
One product I have seen is fiberglass products.We had 2 of the biggest factories for houseboats, while that production is down, it would be nice to see a factory making fiberglass tub surrounds ( tubs fitted over existing tubs/showers in homes) cost efficient in replacement of tubs and showers), these products are being made in Tennessee presently.
With lumber a key product in the state, why is there not a (wood) Door /Window factory in this area? Cabinet factory? wood molding? Prefab home factory? Fiberglass/metal products for use as windmills.
Building products of the future.
The United States must start be Productive and stop all the dependency of foriegn entities.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#15 Aug 23, 2010
observer1 wrote:
JJ your knowledge is very useful, more people need to evaluate the reasoning of government control over what can and can't be produced on private land. The farmers has all but closed their gates of production because of the lack of funding/profitablity due to government control.
The governor of Kentucky needs to take a long look into Products made in Kentucky. Farmers need the assurance of using the land as an opportunity, not as fields of an empty dream.
Why are we not looking into bio-fuels, solar panels???
One product I have seen is fiberglass products.We had 2 of the biggest factories for houseboats, while that production is down, it would be nice to see a factory making fiberglass tub surrounds ( tubs fitted over existing tubs/showers in homes) cost efficient in replacement of tubs and showers), these products are being made in Tennessee presently.
With lumber a key product in the state, why is there not a (wood) Door /Window factory in this area? Cabinet factory? wood molding? Prefab home factory? Fiberglass/metal products for use as windmills.
Building products of the future.
The United States must start be Productive and stop all the dependency of foriegn entities.
Yes, it can be productive, but Free Trade has pushed our workforce out of contention. These "leaders" are getting too fat off of oil,coal,corporate lobbies to make any changes, IMO. We need coal in this state, and I am for it, as long as it doesn't absolutely destroy the surrounding environment. There are ways to use coal and be eco-friendly about it. I know watching the environment cuts the profit margin a bit, but there is still money to be made in a responsible manner. The CEO's need to take a million or two paycut.

Fiberglass.......hemp fibers could be used for this. Imagaine, farms in Pulaski Co. growing hemp--JOBS. Then, the farmer drives his harvest into town to be sold--JOBS. From here we go to a processing plant--JOBS. Then, we could make fiberglass from it in one of the empty factories--JOBS. From there the old boat facotries could make other products from the fiberglass that was grown right down the road--JOBS. All of this can be done in one county and shipped out to the world. Imagine if the entire state did it.

www.gatewood.com

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Location hidden

#16 Aug 23, 2010
From the Galbraith/Riley '11 website:

"Our plan is to introduce to Kentucky Bio-Industrial Development. Particularly the Western portion of our state is ripe for this new industry. This is an industry that Kentucky can lead the world. I support Kentucky farmers in their effort to grow Hemp as an industrial/textile/fuel crop. That started out as a lonely position many years ago but now 5 Governors have agreed with me on returning it as a cash crop. Both Canada and China enjoy a multi billion-dollar Hemp industry each year, while Kentucky remains in the dark ages of agricultural development."

“Ride the wind”

Location hidden

#17 Aug 23, 2010
JumperJuice wrote:
<quoted text>That is true, but there is such a thing as vegetable parchment, so there may be more to that legend! Also, the FIRST draft of the US Constitution was written on hemp paper, and the final draft was on parchment. That's where the "legend" comes from. That, and the fact that almost ALL paper of the era was made from hemp. So, speculation is that the Declaration was originally drafted on hemp paper. However, the last statement is just speculation and cannot be proved.
Thanks for the info, now you have me curious. Think I will go look this up and do some reading lol.
observer1

Versailles, KY

#18 Aug 23, 2010
JumperJuice wrote:
From the Galbraith/Riley '11 website:
"Our plan is to introduce to Kentucky Bio-Industrial Development. Particularly the Western portion of our state is ripe for this new industry. This is an industry that Kentucky can lead the world. I support Kentucky farmers in their effort to grow Hemp as an industrial/textile/fuel crop. That started out as a lonely position many years ago but now 5 Governors have agreed with me on returning it as a cash crop. Both Canada and China enjoy a multi billion-dollar Hemp industry each year, while Kentucky remains in the dark ages of agricultural development."
Kentucky has the abilities to be on top with agricultural development if the state would change the petty laws that has down sized the "Future Farmers of America".(that is a slogan that has lost insight).

Tourism venue has played out its role for resturants and growing communities. It doesn't fair as a first priority now that an economic issue has risen while families are with a loss of revenue to enjoy the entertainment of saturday nights out for dinner.
Pulaski County has lost many jobs and it may depend on the backbone of this county (the farmer) to turn it around. The production of tomarrow may well be within the soils of this county.

“Irish Eyes, T'salagi Temper”

Level 2

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#19 Aug 23, 2010
If or when, Kentucky does make growing HEMP legal, I can almost guarantee our family farm will rise up to become a grower. We have the resources(350 acres) and will hire the man power.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#20 Aug 23, 2010
Great idea...I am for hemp products (it is said to be a great moisterizer) but I am also for legalizing marijuana. Bottle it, wrap it, smoke it, cookit, medicate with it. Apply same standards as alcohol for the marijuana.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This or That? (May '11) 48 min Red_Forman 1,592
What's average pay for housecleaning? (Aug '11) 1 hr B Man 41
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 hr Namu Myoho Renge Kyo 143,217
Justice system corruption 6 hr maxpain78 2
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 11 hr Princess Hey 11,625
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 13 hr Trouser Cough 28,034
News City moves forward with lawsuit against state a... 14 hr Martin 29
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages