Is teen pregnancy out of control at P...

Is teen pregnancy out of control at Pulaski County High School?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
tutor

London, KY

#1 Mar 20, 2009
To be honest, there is not a single day that I don't see female students walk down the hall either flashing her most recent ultrasound or shwoing obvious signs that they are pregnant. This seems like a major disgrace to both our town and our state. I can now understand why it was that someone could walk into this town and be inspired to make a bored game that shows that we have no class. We are truly reverting into the barefoot, pregnant hicks that we are stereotyped as being and it is
sickening. So what can we do to fix this problem

JustaAngel1488

“Sweet as a Lollipop”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Licking, MO

#2 Mar 20, 2009
It is sad. I saw a resport yesterday that said 40% of the babies born in 2008 where born out of wedlock.
Parents could start being parents again and quit trying to be their kids best friend, be a good role model and teach their children morals and pesonal responsibility instead of letting them run wild and helping them to avoid the consequences of their actions.
Stupid is supposed to hurt.

Bonus

Manchester, KY

#3 Mar 20, 2009
tutor wrote:
To be honest, there is not a single day that I don't see female students walk down the hall either flashing her most recent ultrasound or shwoing obvious signs that they are pregnant. This seems like a major disgrace to both our town and our state. I can now understand why it was that someone could walk into this town and be inspired to make a bored game that shows that we have no class. We are truly reverting into the barefoot, pregnant hicks that we are stereotyped as being and it is
sickening. So what can we do to fix this problem
Good POST---Here's the problem:

We have a generation of young folks who are of "breeding age" whose parents "screwed up" raising them!!!

Many of these pregnant teens grew up in "DAY CARE", and either had parents (and grand parents) who SPOILED them...or who did NOT give a shit about them!

The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT is to blame too...It now takes 2 parents working to make a living---or there's a mom out there who would rather DROP her kids off at DAYCARE!!!

DAYCARE is NOT the way to bring up a child---but the Government promotes this shit w/ FREE daycare for some---or by having a lousy economy where BOTH parents have to work!

Also, yesterday's "Latch-Key" child is NOW breeding like rabbits---Teenagers who come home to NO parent and basically RAISE THEMSELVES!!!

Parents who were raised in the GREEDY 1980's, are now "grandparents" of babies born today to young single teenage mom's...The 80's was a selfish era, where kids came from hippies and dope heads of the 60's...Or who had dads deployed in Vietnam.

In the 1960's women started burning their bras, smoking dope, and NOT staying home w/ their babies...AND THINGS HAVE NOT REALLY IMPROVED SINCE THEN!!!!

Any other questions?
Just let me know!
teacher

Corbin, KY

#4 Mar 20, 2009
nothing.

Since: Feb 09

Wherever I feel like being.

#6 Mar 20, 2009
Trust me, it's not just PC.
Maybe the numbers aren't as high as 28, but they're way up there.
I don't think they're bad people or kids or whatever, at all, for being pregnant.
It's just sad to know that kids who are younger than or the same age as me have (I don't want to say messed up their life), but... they have definitely prevented themselves from being all that they could be.
I'm not the person to judge them though, it could happen to me, and I wouldn't want anyone to look at me and just see my unborn baby.

#7 Mar 20, 2009
And I would also like to say that it isn't always due to being poorly raised... to the person who said that. I know someone who is pregnant at my school, and I know her family VERY well. They are great people and she's been raised well.

You don't always know as much as you think you do about situations... different situations for different people...

#8 Mar 20, 2009
Oh and for my first post, I go to SWHS, I meant to say "maybe the numbers aren't as high as 28 as SWHS".
Sorry for the posting so many times by the way...

“live it, like it, or kiss it!”

Since: Nov 08

Oneida

#9 Mar 21, 2009
It is not a life to life. If only these younger girls would take the time and listen and take the advise from someone thats been on there own since she was 15 years old and let em tell them that life isnt what it looks like it would seem to be. I know, Ive been there age once, even though I didnt have my first till I was 18 and married. Its rough and even having a child at 18 was rough. You more less dont have time to "enjoy or explore" life. It is all taken away. Take my advice if there is any girls on here that is young and having intercourse reading this. ENJOY life why you can because having a baby and growing up to soon will be the biggest regret that you will ever look back on in your life!
Just thinking

Somerset, KY

#10 Mar 21, 2009
It doesn't start with intercourse. It all begins when the girls are 12-14 (in middle school) and begin the oral sex thing because it's the "cool" thing to do. Of course, that does not classify as sex (so they are easily convinced). And we know what happens from there. It's about like taking your first drink, the second one is easier. We should not condemn the kids (who are having kids). These matters are ones that should be embraced at home by strong parenting and reinforced at church. And this does not only include the girls.
what

London, KY

#11 Mar 21, 2009
Bonus wrote:
<quoted text>
Good POST---Here's the problem:
We have a generation of young folks who are of "breeding age" whose parents "screwed up" raising them!!!
Many of these pregnant teens grew up in "DAY CARE", and either had parents (and grand parents) who SPOILED them...or who did NOT give a shit about them!
The FEDERAL GOVERNMENT is to blame too...It now takes 2 parents working to make a living---or there's a mom out there who would rather DROP her kids off at DAYCARE!!!
DAYCARE is NOT the way to bring up a child---but the Government promotes this shit w/ FREE daycare for some---or by having a lousy economy where BOTH parents have to work!
Also, yesterday's "Latch-Key" child is NOW breeding like rabbits---Teenagers who come home to NO parent and basically RAISE THEMSELVES!!!
Parents who were raised in the GREEDY 1980's, are now "grandparents" of babies born today to young single teenage mom's...The 80's was a selfish era, where kids came from hippies and dope heads of the 60's...Or who had dads deployed in Vietnam.
In the 1960's women started burning their bras, smoking dope, and NOT staying home w/ their babies...AND THINGS HAVE NOT REALLY IMPROVED SINCE THEN!!!!
Any other questions?
Just let me know!
Some of what you say actually makes sense. Then there are the parts about daycare that absolutely is ridiculous.
Because a child has to use daycare when they are small holds no logic to becoming a teen mother! A lack of attention at home, feeling alone, yes that I would give you.
Many parents do have to work in which their child has to go to daycare during the day, if the parent stays actively involved in what is going on with their child during daycare hours there is nothing wrong with that at all. It would be ideal for the mother to be able to stay home and be a home-maker. When that can't happen it is very ignorant to make a broad assumption and generalize an entire world of daycare that pregnant teens reflects daycare attendance! Are you serious?
Maybe you should work on statistics for this narrow minded thinking, walk down the halls of these highschools, ask them, "did you attend daycare?" See what you get. Not all children that attend daycare is due to the parent's just wanting to toss their children off and not take care of them!
A better perspective, a more logical one would possibly be the fact that there is a A LOT of peer pressure from Middle School up through High School. If for whatever reason a young guy and girl submits to the pressure and this happens that does not make them nasty people raised from trash and a poor family. While I don't know anyone pregnant in High School, didn't when I was in High School, I still find it highly offensive at your narrow minded, judgmental attitude about this. A possible good reason as well, so many people in this community are so quick to judge another and be so critical, very reactive to situations such as this but how proactive have your efforts been in stopping these situations from arising? You are someone, you can make a difference too.
Teens are teens, it is that simple. It reflects the years of being a teen not a family raising technique that went wrong.
I agree that something needs to be done, no it is not a proud statistic but it isn't anyone's place to be so judgemental either. Worry about your own stuff unless you are willing to step up and try to be a help instead of be a bother.
For me, yes, I have taken that step to help these teens out.
Thank you.
And your writing reflects no reason to ask you any other questions.
Pretty Simple

Somerset, KY

#12 Mar 21, 2009
Teens are gonna have sex ... always have, always will.

Birth control controls birth. More should have easy access to it, and more should use it.

Too many adults decide, instead, to stick their heads in the sand (or the good book) and preach "abstinence only." It doesn't work.

Ask Sarah Palin's daughter.
somerset man

London, KY

#13 Mar 21, 2009
i would much rather see my little girl on the pill then see her preganant. i try to teach good values and tell her how hard it is to raise a little one but some times no matter how good you raise them they still think they know more than you. they need to look at the future, it's hard enough out there with out a baby. i love kids but i don't want to be a grandpa now i want her to go to college and get a good education first. GOD BLESS
Just thinking

Somerset, KY

#14 Mar 21, 2009
Pretty Simple wrote:
Teens are gonna have sex ... always have, always will.
Birth control controls birth. More should have easy access to it, and more should use it.
Too many adults decide, instead, to stick their heads in the sand (or the good book) and preach "abstinence only." It doesn't work.
Ask Sarah Palin's daughter.
I agree with you. If you stick your head in the sand an say "kids are gonna have sex....", then your kids will have sex. Don't cop out and be satisfied with that, raise your kids right. Teach them right and reinforce that with involvement in youth activities at church. Or, be their best friend instead of a parent.
someone

Brownsville, TN

#16 Mar 21, 2009
umm well i think it is ok as long as the teen mom takes care of there child and most do i am a teen mom and i love my kid with all my heart and take care of him better then most adults do being under age doesnt make you a bad mom i love being a mother my child is what i smile for when i wake up in the morning he lights my world up i would be the same mom now as to if i was older age doesnt make a difference

#17 Mar 21, 2009
Grandpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Where the hell is your statistical study "defending" the BENEFITS of DAY CARE, or "Latch-Key" children?
You are a moron!
(and you are obviously sending your poor kid to Day-Care--poor thing!)
Any idiot knows that DAY CARE is a cop-out, and name 1 kid who looks FORWARD to going to DAY-CARE ALL day---5+ days per week ?
Day-Care Centers are profit motive businesses, and the owners/managers are just in it for the money.
The children who grow up in DAY-CARE centers come out as "cookie-cutter", "assembly-line", "manufactured" products. It's sad---real sad! Kids are HUMAN BEINGS and should NOT be treted like products---They need LOVE!
Kids of ALL ages need LOVING parents, or grandparents to be around, 40-50+ hours of the work week...so that they are NOT a product of "assembly line", "mass production", "one-size fits all" DAY-CARE non-sense...
Show me a DAY-CARE raised kid, and I will show you a kid who is "thirsting" for LOVE, time w/ parents, and understanding!
I have NEVER spent 1 day in a DAY-CARE center as a kid, but have several friends/contacts in this sad businses---
They tell me real life stories about parents who do NOT give a shit about their kids!
They just dump them off at the DAY-CARE in the morning, w/ NO breakfast---and call at 6:00p.m. begging the DAY-CARE Centers to keep them LONGER, so they can have dinner w/ their boyfriends, or cock-tails w/ the boss, etc...!
Our modern society/culture is screwed up in America!
I can name two children in fact- my 3 and 2 year old cousins.
They love going to Sunshine, and they ARE treated with care, the people that work there love children.
AND SO DO THEIR PARENTS.
Their mother and father are both VERY involved, but they both work, as well as the childrens' grandparents, so send them to daycare where they will be cared and loved for, or pay STRANGERS to babysit them?
I suppose babysitters could do no wrong. There is more abuse done by babysitters than by daycares. The children are at least watched by multiple people each day.
There is nothing wrong with my cousins, they are both the happiest kids I've ever met or seen.

I'm not going to try to change your viewpoint, I've seen by your posts that you wish to continue to be a moron.

I have more sense than you do and I'm an 18 year old girl, for Christ's sake.
what

London, KY

#18 Mar 21, 2009
First, I do have facts as I have worked with children for many years! And have worked in daycare centers! There are parents that drop their kids off for non-productive reasoning, there are also parents that send their child to daycare and are burdened by the issue and remain actively involved in every aspect of the child's experience. A lot of communication with the teacher and child.
Not everyone is from this town of Mayberry where grandparents are next door and aunts and uncles are within yelling distance. Some families reside in this town with no other family members for support. Think about it you ignornant 'person'. Not everyone in Somerset was raised here. Because a family may not have close support of other relatives does not mean that they can sit at home and not help support the family that they do love.
Don't you for a second feel sorry for my children. I have highly intillegent, well behaved, very respectful children that will go very far in life. I am certain as I have these facts for support as well, they pass children their own age by at least a year. They do not need your pathetic sympathetic remarks as they live in a very loving home and have enough attention that they are very spoiled and I have no shame in that fact either.
Apparently you no nothing in reality about daycare centers. If time is spent to seek out a proper center they are ran like preschool not a playland or facility to merely create terror children. You need to educate yourself. If you feel you have your facts straight share where your statistics came from other than hear say. Can you try personal experience or fact based results?
I assure you one other thing, some children are dropped off at the final minute and picked up at the very first chance they can get there. It is a day that is no different than preschool hours. Your remarks are almost so senseless they deserve no attention, however, it is sad that you live this life so narrow minded!
I am sorry that you were not raised well enough to understand how to keep your family strong when separation does occur at times. There are families that know how to keep a strong home and family life, a very meaningful family life when they are separate from their children 7 hours a day. That 7 hours does not damage their home. A weak home does not crumble so easily. It does not damage the children or the parent/child relationships.
I would ask your argument of difference for when a child spends 7 hours a day in school and sees the parents after school but I have a feeling the response would be as stupid as what you just wrote. Do you think children in school are given 100% devoted individual attention? Exactly! It is impossible, teachers have 25+ students a classroom, they are only human too. I say again, I have more experience with this than you would ever dream of having.
Don't be so critical, it is bad for your health. You are a hardened person for whatever reason but if you say it isn't due to personal experience with daycare centers then leave them alone. Don't be so judgmental of families that must use the centers either. The issue is broader than your narrow mind can grasp.
what

London, KY

#19 Mar 21, 2009
Again I say, if you think pregnant teens in school are "daycare" children do a study, make sure you have correct information to support your lack of logic to this statement. Seeing that daycare centers stop taking children at 13 yrs. old (Middle School!) and chilren are allowed to stay home by themselves at 12 yrs old, if what you are saying about parents not wanting their children to be a bother to them is valid don't you think they would have no trouble leaving to do as they want while the children stayed home to fend for themselves!
Yes, our modern culture and society in America is "screwed up" in regards to the hypercritical, judgmental, narrow minded, hear-say believing, faulty Christian behaviored, senseless gossipy people! Broaden your knowledge then speak.
P.S.
I would also lay anything on the table that I am a better parent than you could ever hope to be, don't be jealous, that is sinful too!
what

London, KY

#20 Mar 21, 2009
First, I do have facts as I have worked with children for many years! And have worked in daycare centers! There are parents that drop their kids off for non-productive reasoning, there are also parents that send their child to daycare and are burdened by the issue and remain actively involved in every aspect of the child's experience. A lot of communication with the teacher and child.
Not everyone is from this town of Mayberry where grandparents are next door and aunts and uncles are within yelling distance. Some families reside in this town with no other family members for support. Think about it you ignornant 'person'. Not everyone in Somerset was raised here. Because a family may not have close support of other relatives does not mean that they can sit at home and not help support the family that they do love.
Don't you for a second feel sorry for my children. I have highly intillegent, well behaved, very respectful children that will go very far in life. I am certain as I have these facts for support as well, they pass children their own age by at least a year. They do not need your pathetic sympathetic remarks as they live in a very loving home and have enough attention that they are very spoiled and I have no shame in that fact either.
Apparently you no nothing in reality about daycare centers. If time is spent to seek out a proper center they are ran like preschool not a playland or facility to merely create terror children. You need to educate yourself. If you feel you have your facts straight share where your statistics came from other than hear say. Can you try personal experience or fact based results?
I assure you one other thing, some children are dropped off at the final minute and picked up at the very first chance they can get there. It is a day that is no different than preschool hours. Your remarks are almost so senseless they deserve no attention, however, it is sad that you live this life so narrow minded!
I am sorry that you were not raised well enough to understand how to keep your family strong when separation does occur at times. There are families that know how to keep a strong home and family life, a very meaningful family life when they are separate from their children 7 hours a day. That 7 hours does not damage their home. A weak home does not crumble so easily. It does not damage the children or the parent/child relationships.
I would ask your argument of difference for when a child spends 7 hours a day in school and sees the parents after school but I have a feeling the response would be as stupid as what you just wrote. Do you think children in school are given 100% devoted individual attention? Exactly! It is impossible, teachers have 25+ students a classroom, they are only human too. I say again, I have more experience with this than you would ever dream of having.
Don't be so critical, it is bad for your health. You are a hardened person for whatever reason but if you say it isn't due to personal experience with daycare centers then leave them alone. Don't be so judgmental of families that must use the centers either. The issue is broader than your narrow mind can grasp.
what

London, KY

#21 Mar 21, 2009
Sorry that posted twice but that was for you "Grandpa". And that was meant to say "A STRONG HOME DOES NOT CRUMBLE EASILY!" Apologies for proper lack of revision before posting. Very minimal compared to this ridiculous post anyway.
baby makers

Perryville, AR

#22 Mar 21, 2009
IMO, the administration at PCHS only has added to the problem by allowing students who are becoming parents to continue the privileges of the extracurricular activites at the high school. Just last year a cheerleader and basketball player graduated with not only one but two children and these parents continued to play ball and cheer throughout the whole time. What did that teach the other kids? Our children look up to those kids that are representing their school; what does this say? What are the consequences? It almost glorifies the ones that are having the babies, "look at me and the attention I'm getting." Just my opinion,but now this same high school has way many more pregnant teens than any other school close by.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min Pikeville Parent 161,188
Word Association (Feb '09) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 12,374
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 2 hr -Papa-Smurf- 13,396
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 35,528
This or That? (May '11) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,213
Amy Hamilton 2 hr TQB 16
Where is Eric Jenkins? (Aug '08) 3 hr American girl 18

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages