KCTCS is the worse thing that happene...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Full time faculty

Barbourville, KY

#21 Apr 22, 2009
Biology student wrote:
Is this why the faculty is voting this Friday on a resolution to pull out of KCTCS? Maybe they'll go back to UK?
It isn't a vote to pull out of KCTCS. The college faculty could not do that. It is a vote on a resolution of No Confidence in the KCTCS Board of Regents and KCTCS President McCall. Five KCTCS colleges already have passed resolutions of No Confidence in the past two weeks.
ScrewTheBOR

Somerset, KY

#22 Apr 22, 2009
Full time faculty wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't a vote to pull out of KCTCS. The college faculty could not do that. It is a vote on a resolution of No Confidence in the KCTCS Board of Regents and KCTCS President McCall. Five KCTCS colleges already have passed resolutions of No Confidence in the past two weeks.
Yep, I cannot wait to send the Board of Regents, and ARROGANT MIke McCall packing...KCTCS cannot afford to keep paying ARROGANT McCall $635,000++ per year in salary, home, and benefits!!!

KCTCS is run by ARROGANT SELF-SERVING ASSHOLES WHO DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT STUDENTS OR FACULTY!!!

IT'S THE BIGGEST SUCK-UP, BROWN-NOSING, BACK-DOOR HANDSHAKING DAMN MESS EVER CREATED!

P.S.
WHEN IS THE SCC PRESIDENT EVER COMING TO WORK AGAIN---SHE'S OVERPAID TOO!
ScrewTheBOR

Somerset, KY

#23 Apr 22, 2009
Pax Kennediana wrote:
<quoted text>
Academic freedom is a myth. Professors are required to publish a certain amount of material every year in order to keep their jobs (a phenomenon called "publish or perish"). Time better spent on their students or on potentially more valuable research ends up being wasted on these side projects. Professors everywhere have been protesting it for years to no avail.
And let's not forget the professor in Colorado who was subjected to a media lynching and then FIRED for "research misconduct" because he made some public comments, in keeping with his academic views, which the university deemed "inappropriate."
Instructors/professors have little control over their classes. By TAKING control, even to the betterment of their curricula and in the best interests of their students, they risk their careers.
NOBODY HAS TO PUBLISH SHIT AT SCC--YOU ARE SO CLUELESS---YES, THE SCC PRESIDENT SPENT TENS OF THOUSANDS RENOVATING HER OFFICE W/ FANCY FURNITURE, WINDOWS, GLASSWARE, ETC. ETC.
THEN SHE CREATED A NEW POSITION CALLED PROVOST, AND PAYS HIM $115,000 PER YEAR TO SIT IN HIS FANCY OFFICE AND READ MAGAZINES ALL DAY !
THEN SHE HARDLY SHOWS UP FOR WORK, AND TRAVELS AROUND THE GLOBE, AND SAYS SHE'S TAKING CARE OF HER SICK HUSBAND!
I WISH I HAD A SICK HUSBAND---SO I COULD TRAVEL AROUND THE GLOBE ON TAXPAYER NICKEL, AND STILL DRAW MY $145,000+ PER YEAR SALARY---WHAT A WASTE OF TAXPAYER MONEY SHE IS---OH YEA, KCTCS IS RAISING TUITION AGAIN!!!
KCTCS AND SCC IS A TAXPAYER RIP-OFF---THE ADMIN. COME TO THIS AREA TO MAKE 6 FIGURE SALARIES, AND THEY TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN---THEY DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT STUDENTS, OR EMPLOYEES---KCTCS EMPLOYEES HAVE NOT HAD A COST OF LIVING RAISE IN OVER 3 YEARS!
SCREW MCCALL, EMMA JO, THE BOARD OF REGENTS, AND THE ENTIRE KCTCS SCAM!!!
ScrewTheBOR

Somerset, KY

#24 Apr 22, 2009
Richard K wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been told that Somerset CC has an extra pot of money hidden in the budget called a "President's Scholarship" and the college president can give financial assistance to people not eligible for federal or state financial aid. She can also waive tuition, as she reportedly did for some Afghanistani refugees because some Muslim doctors asked her to. She sits on the Hospital Board and wants to keep the doctors happy. She could have used some of that $12,000 that went into computers for her home, or some of the money she used to put new windows in her office at $20,000 each a few years ago.
YOU ARE SO RIGHT RICHARD!
HOW MUCH DOES EMMA JO GET PAID TO SIT ON THE HOSPITAL BOARD?
...THAT PROFIT MOTIVE RIP-OFF HOSPITAL THAT CHARGES $25 FOR AN ASPIRIN!
humanities

Somerset, KY

#25 Apr 22, 2009
Richard K wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been told that Somerset CC has an extra pot of money hidden in the budget called a "President's Scholarship" and the college president can give financial assistance to people not eligible for federal or state financial aid. She can also waive tuition, as she reportedly did for some Afghanistani refugees because some Muslim doctors asked her to. She sits on the Hospital Board and wants to keep the doctors happy. She could have used some of that $12,000 that went into computers for her home, or some of the money she used to put new windows in her office at $20,000 each a few years ago.
they will spend tax-payer money to recruit muslims, or anything darker than a red-neck---it's called the KY PLAN, and Emma Jo, and McCall are evaluated on how many black students they recruit, and how many black employees they hire---red-necks do NOT count for the KY PLAN unfiortuantely!

Taxpayers throughout KY better wake-up to the unethical shit happening inside KCTCS !
shyla

Somerset, KY

#26 Apr 22, 2009
They Suck wrote:
The pitiful, darn place is a joke, and a worthless diploma mill, and college faculty across KY are voting NO CONFIDENCE in Mike McCall, and the Board of Regents.
who is the best teacher at scc?

i am registering for fall semester.

Since: Mar 09

Mount Vernon, KY

#27 Apr 22, 2009
ScrewTheBOR wrote:
<quoted text>
NOBODY HAS TO PUBLISH SHIT AT SCC--YOU ARE SO CLUELESS---
If I were talking about SCC faculty, I'd have used the term "instructors." Instead, I used the term "professors." Most two-year institutions do not hire people with earned doctorates as faculty; they can't afford those kinds of credentials. As should have been quite obvious even to you, I was talking about the issue of "academic freedom," not your unsupported complaints about SCC administrators.
ScrewTheBOR wrote:
YES, THE SCC PRESIDENT SPENT TENS OF THOUSANDS RENOVATING HER OFFICE W/ FANCY FURNITURE, WINDOWS, GLASSWARE, ETC. ETC.
I don't care, because you are completely unconvincing.
ScrewTheBOR wrote:
THEN SHE CREATED A NEW POSITION CALLED PROVOST, AND PAYS HIM $115,000 PER YEAR TO SIT IN HIS FANCY OFFICE AND READ MAGAZINES ALL DAY !
Pretty much every college and university has a provost. Exactly how new is the provost position, and how exactly did you come to know that he spends his days reading magazines? Put up or shut up.
ScrewTheBOR wrote:
THEN SHE HARDLY SHOWS UP FOR WORK, AND TRAVELS AROUND THE GLOBE, AND SAYS SHE'S TAKING CARE OF HER SICK HUSBAND!
How did you come by this information?
ScrewTheBOR wrote:
I WISH I HAD A SICK HUSBAND---SO I COULD TRAVEL AROUND THE GLOBE ON TAXPAYER NICKEL, AND STILL DRAW MY $145,000+ PER YEAR SALARY---WHAT A WASTE OF TAXPAYER MONEY SHE IS---OH YEA, KCTCS IS RAISING TUITION AGAIN!!!
1. Personally, I'm hoping for a federal freeze/cap on some college and university salaries over $100,000 similar to the freezes/caps placed on some federal employee salaries. But in the meantime, forgive me for being more concerned about the BILLIONS wasted by spoiled, useless corporate CEOs.

2. Everyone raises tuition frequently. That sort of thing tends to happen when the president diverts educational funding toward war spending. So what?
ScrewTheBOR wrote:
KCTCS AND SCC IS A TAXPAYER RIP-OFF---THE ADMIN. COME TO THIS AREA TO MAKE 6 FIGURE SALARIES, AND THEY TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN---THEY DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT STUDENTS, OR EMPLOYEES---KCTCS EMPLOYEES HAVE NOT HAD A COST OF LIVING RAISE IN OVER 3 YEARS!
SCREW MCCALL, EMMA JO, THE BOARD OF REGENTS, AND THE ENTIRE KCTCS SCAM!!!
I could say the same for most hospital employees I know, particularly those in the ARH system. If you think KCTCS has some kind of monopoly on irresponsible spending and mistreating employees, think again.

Since: Mar 09

Mount Vernon, KY

#28 Apr 22, 2009
humanities wrote:
<quoted text>
they will spend tax-payer money to recruit muslims, or anything darker than a red-neck---it's called the KY PLAN, and Emma Jo, and McCall are evaluated on how many black students they recruit, and how many black employees they hire---red-necks do NOT count for the KY PLAN unfiortuantely!
Taxpayers throughout KY better wake-up to the unethical shit happening inside KCTCS !
Do you have some kind of documentation to support your claim that KCTCS intends to specifically recruit black people and Muslims? I doubt it.

My guess is that you're an ignorant racist 'tard confusing EEOC compliance with a sign of the "endtimes." Or maybe just trying to have a little fun at the expense of Topix visitors...?
Hey

Corbin, KY

#30 Apr 22, 2009
hello
Xaltotum

Holton, IN

#31 Apr 23, 2009
Most of what is described here is typical. Most of the complaints described are easily surmountable. So it took you six years to graduate from a two year institution? This was not the fault of your advisers, it is your own. Take some initiative.

This attitude is typical everywhere: everywhere else is so much better, people thing. False, it is often worse.

By the way, Ward Churchill was rightly fired. His "research" was both flawed and not his own. But that is not uncommon, either. Churchill, like the man from Emory a few years back, just overplayed his hand in a game where there were too many paying attention. You can falsify most of history, biological science, "Social Science" and anthropology, and not many will notice or care, but don't draw attention to yourself by writing about guns or war.

SCC is actually a very good college. I went to Indiana University, and later I decided to take a few classes here. In my opinion, SCC was head and shoulders above IU in what I actually learned, and IU listed as a Top Tier school at that. If you think SCC is politicized and Liberal, you haven't seen anything! The very first word I learned at IU was ideology. Come to think of it, that is about all I learned there.

Just take good classes and study, SCC will do you fine.
Take_a_wild_gues s

Versailles, KY

#32 Apr 23, 2009
Pax Kennediana wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have some kind of documentation to support your claim that KCTCS intends to specifically recruit black people and Muslims? I doubt it.
My guess is that you're an ignorant racist 'tard confusing EEOC compliance with a sign of the "endtimes." Or maybe just trying to have a little fun at the expense of Topix visitors...?
http://cpe.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/77251932-DC61-...

http://cpe.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/5B4F178C-3AAD-...

Actually, Pax, the _Kentucky Plan for Equal Opportunities in Higher Education_ defines "minority" soleley as African American, and state funding for colleges is tied directly to it. You can't apply to the Council on Postsecondary Education to add new programs of study if you can't prove that you've met the state-assigned benchmarks for African American employees/students in the preceding triennium.

So yes, there is pressure to recruit African Americans, and the state blissfully ignores any *other* diversity present or rising at an institution.
okayyy

Frankfort, KY

#33 Apr 23, 2009
somerset girl wrote:
you know whats pathetic is that i had to move out of my parents home for several personal reasons and i been living outside the home for a year now, i tried to get financial aid and they denied me because my worthless step dad (who refused to help me with college) made to much money. now its unlikley i will be able to attend. i think the whole system is a crock.
Check into applying as an independent student. Traditional student's financial aid is determined by their parent's income until they are 24. If you can prove that you have lived on your own for at least a year with out the support of your parents then you can apply to have your parents income excluded from your aid package. Look at your FAFSA information and find the 800 number call them and ask about filing for aid as an independent student. Also apply for every scholarship you might even remotely qualify for. Every year there are scholarships that do not get awarded because people did not apply for them. Talk to a financial aid adviser at SCC they might be able to help you navigate through the system. I received my Associates for SCC then went on to a major university for my Bachelor and now off to another major university for my Masters. SCC prepared me well for these other universities....don't give up and good luck

Since: Mar 09

Mount Vernon, KY

#34 Apr 23, 2009
Take_a_wild_guess wrote:
<quoted text>
http://cpe.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/77251932-DC61-...
http://cpe.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/5B4F178C-3AAD-...
Actually, Pax, the _Kentucky Plan for Equal Opportunities in Higher Education_ defines "minority" soleley as African American, and state funding for colleges is tied directly to it. You can't apply to the Council on Postsecondary Education to add new programs of study if you can't prove that you've met the state-assigned benchmarks for African American employees/students in the preceding triennium.
So yes, there is pressure to recruit African Americans, and the state blissfully ignores any *other* diversity present or rising at an institution.
The first document you cited is over 16 years old, and its "changes" are not cited or dated. Furthermore, it specifically speaks to a plan to DESEGREGATE Kentucky's postsecondary institutions, which of course means that blacks are the only relevant minority. Forgive me if I remain skeptical of your claims, especially considering that current EEOC disclaimers on KCTCS institution websites encourage inquiries from "women and minorities" (as opposed to, say, "one minority").

The second document mentions former efforts to increase African American (black) enrollment and employment, which is an understandable concern considering -- as both documents repeatedly assert -- there is a black college in Kentucky.

There is, however, no mention of Muslims in either document, nor anything to suggest that their definition of minority is limited to blacks. I can say with some authority that women are also viewed as a minority, and treated accordingly...for better or worse. That much, at least, is true.
Take_a_wild_gues s

Versailles, KY

#35 Apr 23, 2009
Pax Kennediana wrote:
<quoted text>
The first document you cited is over 16 years old, and its "changes" are not cited or dated. Furthermore, it specifically speaks to a plan to DESEGREGATE Kentucky's postsecondary institutions, which of course means that blacks are the only relevant minority. Forgive me if I remain skeptical of your claims, especially considering that current EEOC disclaimers on KCTCS institution websites encourage inquiries from "women and minorities" (as opposed to, say, "one minority").
The second document mentions former efforts to increase African American (black) enrollment and employment, which is an understandable concern considering -- as both documents repeatedly assert -- there is a black college in Kentucky.
There is, however, no mention of Muslims in either document, nor anything to suggest that their definition of minority is limited to blacks. I can say with some authority that women are also viewed as a minority, and treated accordingly...for better or worse. That much, at least, is true.
I am not the poster you challenged to provide documentation, and I assure you, the Kentucky Plan is still very much in force regardless of its age, as is the Constitution of the United States. While you have the luxury of being literal in your interpretation of the Plan, I have met the body charged with its enforcement. Their interpretation is at great variance with yours.

Furthermore, I neither agree with nor support the assertion that there is any effort by SCC to specifically recruit people of the Islamic faith, nor that this is in any way a component of the Kentucky Plan.

Per the EEOC disclaimer on the KCTCS homepage, it used to include "sexual orientation" among its protected classes. Those protected classes are subject to change dependent upon the current political climate, so it's best not to lean on the EEOC disclaimer as the crux of an argument. It is not static.

Since: Apr 09

Hurricane, WV

#36 Apr 23, 2009
I have a problem with people who get on here and bash SCC. If you attempted SCC and things didn't work out for you, it's your OWN fault, not anyone else's. It's not Mike McCall's fault, nor is it Jo Marshall's, nor is it the fault of any other faculty member or instructor. It's because YOU couldn't cut it, YOU wouldn't put forth the effort needed to get a degree, and YOU wasted time (and money) goofing off and playing ping-pong in the lounge.

It doesn't matter what your major is, nobody is going to GIVE you a degree. SCC is NOT an easy school, especially if you are gutsy enough to sign up for the hard classes! I can tell you that in terms of difficulty, my two years at SCC were EVERY BIT as bad as my two years at the 4-year institution I transferred to.

The claims about professors being unavailable during their office hours are unfounded. I actually thought the one-on-one attention at SCC was GREAT. They actually KNOW your name, you're not just a number!

There are other advantages to SCC besides the small class size. It costs less. You never have to fight for a parking space (or at least I never did, but that was in 2002). If you're REALLY serious about obtaining a degree, there's WAY less distractions in Somerset than in bigger cities. You might actually stay out of trouble and, God forbid, LEARN something!

Personally, I think the people on here who like to bash SCC do so because they hate Somerset in general. I agree, it is an extremely backward town, but if you hate it that much, do what I did and MOVE AWAY!!
Long Ago and Far Away

Morehead, KY

#37 Apr 23, 2009
Richard K, you must be a six figured salary earner at the system office they way you degrade faculty and the colleges.
Long Ago and Far Away

Morehead, KY

#38 Apr 23, 2009
Pax Kennediana wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have some kind of documentation to support your claim that KCTCS intends to specifically recruit black people and Muslims? I doubt it.
My guess is that you're an ignorant racist 'tard confusing EEOC compliance with a sign of the "endtimes." Or maybe just trying to have a little fun at the expense of Topix visitors...?
What an idiot. KCTCS isn't doing that. The Kentucky Plan effects all Public universities and colleges in the state. Once again and wanna-a-be intellect that is just being racist.
Long Ago and Far Away

Morehead, KY

#39 Apr 23, 2009
humanities wrote:
<quoted text>
they will spend tax-payer money to recruit muslims, or anything darker than a red-neck---it's called the KY PLAN, and Emma Jo, and McCall are evaluated on how many black students they recruit, and how many black employees they hire---red-necks do NOT count for the KY PLAN unfiortuantely!
Taxpayers throughout KY better wake-up to the unethical shit happening inside KCTCS !
Man, report the correct facts. You obviously don't understand the KY plan. SO shut the hell up.
Long Ago and Far Away

Morehead, KY

#40 Apr 23, 2009
And why is Morehead, showing under my name. I am in Stanton.
Richard K

Barbourville, KY

#41 Apr 24, 2009
Long Ago and Far Away wrote:
And why is Morehead, showing under my name. I am in Stanton.
Stanton has electricity now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 54 min Ricky F 35,509
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr Chill 161,070
dose anyone kno eric cowan? (Jan '09) 6 hr Mhm 2
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 7 hr winner 13,391
jason calhoun 7 hr Haha 29
Ugn lesbians 7 hr FiddleDeeDee 10
Tracy Flynn 7 hr FiddleDeeDee 3

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages