Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#1 Dec 16, 2012
Have they handed out the Liquor licenses yet? If so who got them? I swear to god this should have already been done and taken care of so the businesses could already be building or have their places built.

Anyone know anything?
Wet Voter

United States

#2 Dec 16, 2012
No word yet. The state is dragging its feet. Tumbleweed, Tradewinds Shell and CVS dont even have thier licenses yet.

Level 4

Brownsville, TN

#3 Dec 16, 2012
This is BS. We are probably the largest area that went wet so we should have priority of the others.
Wet Voter

United States

#5 Dec 16, 2012
I agree. They did great at first but the last couple of monthd they slowed down.

“smiling on a cloudy day”

Level 7

Since: Jan 09

Shakedown Street

#6 Dec 16, 2012
DaGasssMan wrote:
This is BS. We are probably the largest area that went wet so we should have priority of the others.
You would think. Little ol' Manchester got their two licenses awarded in 60 days.

E-town, Radcliff, Vine Grove, all had theirs in 3-4 months.

Level 7

Shakedown Street

#7 Dec 16, 2012
Of course, lot of local palms looking to get greased.
tubby

Manchester, KY

#8 Dec 18, 2012
Bronston Man wrote:
Of course! Same as always......

Level 7

Shakedown Street

#9 Dec 18, 2012
tubby wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course! Same as always......
It was said the licenses would not get handed out until after the holidays. For whatever reason I don't know.

Just look at the big debacle down in Corbin. Liquor World, Liquor Barn, one of those big outfits was planning to build a multi-million dollar store in Corbin. What happened instead? The licenses were handed out to people not investing near that amount of money in the community. I don't think any actually planned a new construction.

It was all local politics. Same will happen here.
billy

London, KY

#10 Dec 18, 2012
In Corbin, there was one awarded to a planned new construction, behind the Applebees, but despite the other 2 being up and running, I'm not sure ground has been broken. Local BS at it's best.
idiots

Brodhead, KY

#11 Dec 18, 2012
now maybe you can realize the reason behind the wet movement it wasnt to help you get drunk it was to get rich from the sale of it
so this is what you all wanted now live with it, i mean every thing i read about going wet said it bring money and jobs into town and help us how exactly other than three min. wage jobs would having a chain like that come here help? the money would go to out of town owners, we would be better off giving that money to a local business man or woman keep it local
i dont care how much they charge you for it i mean im sure it will be competitive like gas prices

Level 7

Shakedown Street

#12 Dec 18, 2012
idiots wrote:
now maybe you can realize the reason behind the wet movement it wasnt to help you get drunk it was to get rich from the sale of it
Duh.

I recall the wet/dry arguments very well. It was the dry side saying that the vote was "so people could get drunk".

It was the wet side saying "increased economic activity". Guess what genius? That means people making money!
idiots

Brodhead, KY

#13 Dec 18, 2012
you completly misread my comment
you all were complaining about the lic being given to certain ones i simply stated that is why they supported the wet vote was to get rich from the sale of it so
if they give the lic to out of towners they will not get the money do you understand now
Captains Lounge

Richmond, KY

#14 Dec 18, 2012
We are the first bar in somerset since prohibition to open up down town Somerset. Saturday the 22 Nashville recording artist Anthony K with the Dance Hall Doctors who have toured with Tim MCgraw for the last 20 years will take the stage @ 9:30 Come on in for drink specials and a hella good time. http://www.captainsloungeky.com

Level 4

Brownsville, TN

#15 Dec 18, 2012
idiots wrote:
you completly misread my comment
you all were complaining about the lic being given to certain ones i simply stated that is why they supported the wet vote was to get rich from the sale of it so
if they give the lic to out of towners they will not get the money do you understand now
Their is stupid and then there is you.

It doesn't matter where the money comes from as long as it comes to town. Meaning if they pay millions to build and upgrade their store they will have to have jobs to go with it. A Liquor Barn or World (whatever its called) hires quite a few people to work for them and they all aren't minimum wage jobs. Have you ever been to the one in Richmond? Those guys said they would basically make the one in Somerset the main office, so it doesn't matter if they are out of towners. And from what I hear someone from Somerset is co-owner behind the scene of that franchise anyway. It is sort of like saying we don't need Wal-mart, Kmart, or Kroger since someone else owns them out of town/state. See how silly that is?

I think they aired some dirty laundry in the paper about being basically ripped off in Corbin so I honestly doubt that happens again here. If so they will probably be someone getting looked into. I think they also said they would put in a nice Steak House as well as the Liqour store. So thats even more jobs.

The people of Corbin should have someone looking into that mess they have over there. From my understanding one of their liquor license still hasn't been used and the person who owns it is just sitting on it waiting to sell it to someone else for a huge profit. I think they should take their license away and give it to someone else.

Somerset is already profiting off of just beer alone. They made 18 or 19 thousand in their first week or 2 of sales in tax. I wonder what their first full month of tax will be? Don't forget they only had a few stores selling at the time as well. Now they have Wal-Mart and Kroger going so it should be twice that or more.
idiots

Brodhead, KY

#16 Dec 18, 2012
look you are on here complaining about the state holding the lic. not me they are over loaded and short staffed and its the holidays wait a while they will be given out,, and for the record im all for out of towners coming in here taking the money and leaving i simply stated thats why they wanted it wet in the first place
and i doubt they will pay above minimum wage or maybe a quarter over lol
i mean if they do im all for it but i think its a dream just like all the other promises from the wet side
Link

Lexington, KY

#17 Dec 19, 2012
Bronston Man wrote:
Nothing has been said about the taxes taken in on beer that I have heard of. I have been out of town alot recently though!

Level 7

Shakedown Street

#18 Dec 19, 2012
Link wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing has been said about the taxes taken in on beer that I have heard of. I have been out of town alot recently though!
It is right on the Somerset KY website.

http://www.cityofsomerset.com/services/ytd_al...

One month. Almost half million in sales(that's $500K that would had went to Lancaster or Tennessee), almost $20K collected in taxes.

That's just one month, and just beer. Wait till liquor stores get here.
Link

Lexington, KY

#19 Dec 19, 2012
Bronston Man wrote:
<quoted text>
It is right on the Somerset KY website.
http://www.cityofsomerset.com/services/ytd_al...
One month. Almost half million in sales(that's $500K that would had went to Lancaster or Tennessee), almost $20K collected in taxes.
That's just one month, and just beer. Wait till liquor stores get here.
Thanks BM.
Interested person

Richmond, KY

#23 Dec 22, 2012
Bronston Man wrote:
<quoted text>
It was said the licenses would not get handed out until after the holidays. For whatever reason I don't know.
Just look at the big debacle down in Corbin. Liquor World, Liquor Barn, one of those big outfits was planning to build a multi-million dollar store in Corbin. What happened instead? The licenses were handed out to people not investing near that amount of money in the community. I don't think any actually planned a new construction.
It was all local politics. Same will happen here.
Liquor King on the Cumberland Falls highway looks like a very nice liquor store to me. It is a new building and Liquor Mart is in the old DQ building. From what I could pick up some liquor store owner in Richmond was ticked off because he never got a liquor license in Corbin and tried to have them all invalidated. That didn't happen but look for Liquor King I believe take exit 29 to the Cumberland Falls highway and you will see how a liquor store is supposed to look.

“Sixteen Tons”

Level 6

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#24 Dec 22, 2012
Alcohol will always be there whether you like it or not. Might as well try to benefit in whatever way you can (tax revenue) and quit trying to control everyone else. People will find a way to do what they want. Sometimes this is very bad (federal control over states) and sometimes it is not a big deal (alcohol or firearms). People need to realize that the world will never answer to their whims.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 12 min Trouser Cough 35,532
Can a woman be born with a male penis (Mar '10) 22 min abc 30
Word Association (Feb '09) 48 min winner 12,377
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 51 min winner 13,401
Brandon watkins 4 hr John whang 4
John Adams , Somerset City Council Ward 10 4 hr John whang 2
Tired of FiddleDeeDee 4 hr John whang 3

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance