First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Brownsville, TN

#1 Aug 15, 2008
Is Oakwood a good place to work? How is the pay?
pitiful place

Brownsville, TN

#5 Aug 17, 2008
nothing but a bunch of cheaters there. when you mention oakwood, the first thing everyone thinks of is cheaters.
WTF

Big Creek, KY

#6 Aug 17, 2008
I don't think of cheaters when you mention it.

I work there and happen to appreciate my job. It is what you put into it. If you go there with the intent of focusing on your job and attempting to help others, it can be a rewarding feeling. If you go there with the intent of "hooking up", you're there for the wrong reason. Oakwood is not the only place that this holds true. Since Bluegrass has taken over the place, there's a major difference. They seem to be much more appreciative of the employees than when the state ran it.

Hollyghost, if you're interested in working there, just apply and give it a shot for yourself. You can't listen to everyone on Topix, including me. For the area, the pay and the benefits are good.
jtrain

Somerset, KY

#8 Aug 17, 2008
WTF wrote:
I don't think of cheaters when you mention it.
I work there and happen to appreciate my job. It is what you put into it. If you go there with the intent of focusing on your job and attempting to help others, it can be a rewarding feeling. If you go there with the intent of "hooking up", you're there for the wrong reason. Oakwood is not the only place that this holds true. Since Bluegrass has taken over the place, there's a major difference. They seem to be much more appreciative of the employees than when the state ran it.
Hollyghost, if you're interested in working there, just apply and give it a shot for yourself. You can't listen to everyone on Topix, including me. For the area, the pay and the benefits are good.
i work there and have for a while. i agree with this person pretty much but one piece of advice. i dont know how old you are but im in it for the retirement more than anything (started there when i was young) so if your a little older and not really focusing on that i would def check my other options in town. it mite not be as good pay but the stress is prob less.
Truth Hurt

Huntsville, TN

#9 Aug 17, 2008
I went for an interview and a drug test about a month ago and i still haven't heard from them and i don't do drugs so i know my drug test was clean and i have never been in trouble so the background check should be no problem. I dont know why they haven't called

Somerset, KY

#10 Aug 18, 2008
Truth Hurt wrote:
I went for an interview and a drug test about a month ago and i still haven't heard from them and i don't do drugs so i know my drug test was clean and i have never been in trouble so the background check should be no problem. I dont know why they haven't called
it takes about a month for them to get the background check, i went for an interview on like the 12th of june and was hired july 7th, so about a month..
WTF

Big Creek, KY

#11 Aug 18, 2008
"Truth Hurt", call the HR department and just follow up on your status. Sometimes that helps, as it puts your name fresh in their memory and shows that you're definitely interested. Good luck.
Give me a break

United States

#12 Aug 18, 2008
If your Trash. You'll be Trash. For the most part everyone there are good. Once a cheater always a cheater. So it's really what are you looking for a career or trash. Most all places have both. So you just have to have morals and decide what you wanna be. Never to late to do the right thing. But once you cross that line of infidelity it'll always be there like dope in your head. My grandfather once told me if you gotta think twice about doing something then it's probably wrong and you shouldn't do it.
defender

Somerset, KY

#13 Aug 18, 2008
I have worked at Oakwood for many years. Yea, there is some messing around going on, but it IS NOT a whore house. For the work we do, you can't beat the pay. It is stressful at times, especially in the lower area. But go put in an application and try it for yourself. Don't listen to people who probably don't even work there.

For some- it's just not gonna be your cup of tea. You have to have the desire to make a difference in someones life. You have to genuinely care about other human beings less fortunate than yourself.

Any place that has as many employees as Oakwood is gonna get a bad wrap for people messing around. People do it- just when you have so many working there, it seems to happen more frequent. If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen no matter where your husband or wife works. I've never messed around there. It's a self-control. I could just as easily find a date at the local Wal-Mart.
Chefmanrd

Rocky Mount, NC

#14 Aug 18, 2008
Wow, I would have thought that having the ability to help people with special needs enjoy a higher quality of life would get a better level of respect from the community who benefits from their employment and benefits.

I know several people who work at Oakwood, and they are genuinely good people. I have been there for family day and can see the good it does for people less fortunate than most of us.

Oakwood is a special place and it employs over 1000 people in an area of the country that has high unemployment and rampant drug abuse. You all should be thankful for what you have.
curious

United States

#15 Aug 18, 2008
pitiful place wrote:
nothing but a bunch of cheaters there. when you mention oakwood, the first thing everyone thinks of is cheaters.
There are cheaters everywhere you go, give everyone at Oakwood a break
defender

Somerset, KY

#16 Aug 18, 2008
Chefmanrd wrote:
Wow, I would have thought that having the ability to help people with special needs enjoy a higher quality of life would get a better level of respect from the community who benefits from their employment and benefits.
I know several people who work at Oakwood, and they are genuinely good people. I have been there for family day and can see the good it does for people less fortunate than most of us.
Oakwood is a special place and it employs over 1000 people in an area of the country that has high unemployment and rampant drug abuse. You all should be thankful for what you have.
Thank you chefmanrd.
It would be nice if everyone had respect for us and what we do there.

People have cheating spouses, and instead of blaming them- they blame their place of employment. Everyone who works there is usually stresses enough, without having to put up with people (a lot of times strangers) getting on here and talking trash about them. What gets me- is sometimes even the staff that work there are talking about each other. Now, that's taking your work home with you.

If your spouse cannot keep it in their pants, make them quit and get a job somewhere else. THEN see if they continue with their cheating ways. I'll bet they do.

It is a good job, with good benefits. It would be a better world all the way around if only single people hooked up at work. But sorry folks, it aint gonna happen. Like I said- blame it on the person. Not the place.
Somerset2008

Huntsville, TN

#17 Aug 18, 2008
curious wrote:
<quoted text>There are cheaters everywhere you go, give everyone at Oakwood a break
AMEN, it is not where you work. If you are that type of person you will do it no matter where you work! YOU CAN SAY NO!
big j

Somerset, KY

#18 Aug 19, 2008
WTF wrote:
"Truth Hurt", call the HR department and just follow up on your status. Sometimes that helps, as it puts your name fresh in their memory and shows that you're definitely interested. Good luck.
once again i agree with this
deranged

Corbin, KY

#19 Aug 19, 2008
Oakwood is an antiquated holding pen that deals with people with mental retardation like the rest of the country did in the 1950's. Feds have intervened there many times. What to be part of an abusive environment that treats the retarded people in their care like cattle? If so it would be the place for you.

London, KY

#21 Aug 19, 2008
deranged wrote:
Oakwood is an antiquated holding pen that deals with people with mental retardation like the rest of the country did in the 1950's. Feds have intervened there many times. What to be part of an abusive environment that treats the retarded people in their care like cattle? If so it would be the place for you.
PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK. YOU ARE PROBABLY ONE OF THOSE THAT COULDN'T GET A JOB AT OAKWOOD AND WANT TO MAKE THEM LOOK BAD. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GOES ON AT OAKWOOD SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
deranged

Corbin, KY

#22 Aug 19, 2008
alljackedup wrote:
<quoted text>
PEOPLE LIKE YOU MAKE ME SICK. YOU ARE PROBABLY ONE OF THOSE THAT COULDN'T GET A JOB AT OAKWOOD AND WANT TO MAKE THEM LOOK BAD. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT GOES ON AT OAKWOOD SO SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
I was there in 2004 as a consultant to the feds when they intervened. I have a masters in Early Childhood Developement, 15 years of experience, a twisted sense of humor, and lousy spelling skills. I may come on to stir things up to cure my boredom from time to time but there is absolutely nothing funny about what goes on at Oakwood. The fact that the feds are still overseeing the program tells me not much has improved. I assume you must be one of the glorified babysitters that works there strictly for the paycheck and not out of any sense of caring for the people whose care is entrusted to you.
WTF

Big Creek, KY

#23 Aug 19, 2008
Things have changed alot since 2004 and continue to change, for the better, thankfully.
WTF

Big Creek, KY

#24 Aug 19, 2008
Specifically since Nov. 2006 when Bluegrass took over.
WTF

Big Creek, KY

#25 Aug 19, 2008
Also, you can like/dislike whatever you choose, however I don't think it's quite fair of you to make assumptions on how much someone cares for an individual they work with there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 4 min ChromiuMan 133,264
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 hr Naturally Wired 23,525
New Office holders. Same stupid costly mistakes 2 hr open minded 61
Attorney Neal tucker 10 hr buddy 1
Grand Central Car Wash 10 hr wondering 2
Mayor Eddie Girdler wants payroll tax for city 11 hr City insurance 22
Boycott the book "Mist in the Mountains" 13 hr Christian 6
Somerset Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance