First Prev
of 2
Next Last
velvet

Hopkinsville, KY

#1 Nov 7, 2012
I heard a joke last week, "We change our clocks on Sunday and our President on Tuesday!"

This morning I made up a new joke. "We changed our clocks on Sunday and cleaned their clocks on Tuesday!"

Think I could get a job writing for Leno?
Keep the Faith

Somerset, KY

#2 Nov 7, 2012
We turned our clocks back one hour on Sunday ... but thanks to the sane states, we averted turning our country's policies back to the 1950s.

Gay marriage also was approved in two states, we elected our first openly gay U.S. senator, and "Professor" Elizabeth Warren is now senator-elect from Massachusetts.

Days like this make those little tea-baggy brains go all fuzzy.

“Irish Eyes, T'salagi Temper”

Level 2

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#5 Nov 7, 2012
Wake up America! This election was not about political party affiliation!
It was about common sense and the future of our country. It is a sad day for every citizen. Big brother government will control our every action.
America

Morehead, KY

#6 Nov 7, 2012
Phoenix Rising_76 wrote:
Wake up America! This election was not about political party affiliation!
It was about common sense and the future of our country. It is a sad day for every citizen. Big brother government will control our every action.
You might want to take the next 4 years to truely understand POLITICS. Government owns you whether you admit it or not, and that dear has been that way since before you were born. How is the food stamps helping out, the medical heping out, and the tax exemptions for filing W2 at the end of the year. Sorry you don't understand, but hey it is never too late to learn.

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Level 10

Since: May 11

"True Love Never Ends "

#7 Nov 7, 2012
B.O. did not win the Popular vote. The system as it is designed has failed again. It is now a strategists game for elections, to concentrate on the states to pick up the electoral vote only.

Is this not a democracy where majority rules? Only in the Presidential race does it now work that way.
America

Morehead, KY

#8 Nov 7, 2012
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
B.O. did not win the Popular vote. The system as it is designed has failed again. It is now a strategists game for elections, to concentrate on the states to pick up the electoral vote only.
Is this not a democracy where majority rules? Only in the Presidential race does it now work that way.
It has been that way for over 100yrs, no sense complaining now, if The Republican Party won, would you say then it was all good how the system works? Blame the ancestors if you will.

Level 2

Location hidden

#9 Nov 7, 2012
America wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to take the next 4 years to truely understand POLITICS. Government owns you whether you admit it or not, and that dear has been that way since before you were born. How is the food stamps helping out, the medical heping out, and the tax exemptions for filing W2 at the end of the year. Sorry you don't understand, but hey it is never too late to learn.
I wouldn't know about foodstamps or medical...I don't receive them.

Level 2

Location hidden

#10 Nov 7, 2012
America wrote:
<quoted text>You might want to take the next 4 years to truely understand POLITICS. Government owns you whether you admit it or not, and that dear has been that way since before you were born. How is the food stamps helping out, the medical heping out, and the tax exemptions for filing W2 at the end of the year. Sorry you don't understand, but hey it is never too late to learn.
And our government doesn't own me...China does!
zipyourlip

London, KY

#11 Nov 7, 2012
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
You are incorrect. Our President won the popular vote 50% to 48%. The electoral college was a blowout win, and rightfully so!

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Level 10

"True Love Never Ends "

#12 Nov 7, 2012
America wrote:
<quoted text> It has been that way for over 100yrs, no sense complaining now, if The Republican Party won, would you say then it was all good how the system works? Blame the ancestors if you will.
If I voted and I did ... then I get to complain :)

We now will just have to suffer the consquences of the actions set before us and .... suffer we will.
Wow

Somerset, KY

#13 Nov 7, 2012
Hatti_Hollerand wrote:
From under what rock are you getting your "facks," there, Hatti?

Current "Popular Vote" Results:

Obama - 59.9 million (50%)
Romney - 57.2 million (48%)

To help ya with the math, I put the higher number on top.

So no, Romney's loss is not like Al Gore's loss in 2000 (when he won the popular vote; lost the electoral college).

But yes, the electoral college results are even more impressive for President Obama:

Obama - 332 electoral votes
Romney - 206 electoral votes

Boom goes the dynamite!

“& My Favorite Dog Muttley ”

Level 10

Since: Nov 07

Myrtle Beach, SC

#14 Nov 7, 2012
You wanted Obama for 4 more years? You got him - good luck with that.

Now everything that happens is totally on Obama's shoulders - no more blaming Bush for ANYTHING.

Have you all read the Obama Healthcare Bill in it's entirety or do you just think it's free healthcare? Good luck with that.

Don't blame Republicans when things start to go really bad for you - you re elected the goon, not me, and I wish you all well with that decision!

Pray for Our Country.

“Colorful Beyond Words”

Level 10

"True Love Never Ends "

#15 Nov 7, 2012
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
From under what rock are you getting your "facks," there, Hatti?
Current "Popular Vote" Results:
Obama - 59.9 million (50%)
Romney - 57.2 million (48%)
To help ya with the math, I put the higher number on top.
So no, Romney's loss is not like Al Gore's loss in 2000 (when he won the popular vote; lost the electoral college).
But yes, the electoral college results are even more impressive for President Obama:
Obama - 332 electoral votes
Romney - 206 electoral votes
Boom goes the dynamite!
Your "man" won and you still want to argue .... LOL !! You better hang on to that dynamite for when the Chinese invade and completely take over the US. haha!!
Baron Von Redneck

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Nov 7, 2012
All the election comes down to is that the people who re-elected Obama want big government and redistribution of wealth. There are a lot of people in this country who want whatever they can get from the government, and Obama is by far the best candidate to provide it for them. The worst issue I see now is the fiscal cliff. If Obama doesn't or isn't able to work with congress, this country WILL take a nose dive, again. Look at the market today, down 300 because no one really believes Obama will make the best decision for the country.
It will be interesting to see how many democrats start complaining when their beloved obamacare begins to take a much bigger % of their paychecks, or just 'the check'. One thing is a certainty, we will pay a lot more in taxes, beginning in 2013.

“We Are Family”

Level 8

Since: Aug 12

Here, There and Everywhere!

#17 Nov 7, 2012
Let's get one dam thing straight, NOT ALL Registered Demorcrats voted to re-elect Obama.
zipyourlip

London, KY

#18 Nov 7, 2012
BigDaddyandGang wrote:
Let's get one dam thing straight, NOT ALL Registered Demorcrats voted to re-elect Obama.
True, but there were over 60 million voters, who disagree with that voter. Isn't democracy great?

Level 2

Location hidden

#19 Nov 7, 2012
BigDaddyandGang wrote:
AMEN!
zipyourlip

London, KY

#20 Nov 8, 2012
After the 2010 midterm elections, the push for filibuster reform was there as well. Rather than do a whole-scale change, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made a gentleman’s agreement with the Republican leadership in the house. In exchange for some minor rule changes, the GOP leadership agreed to limit the use of the filibuster during the new session. This agreement was then rapidly forgotten, as the GOP minority then began to abuse the filibuster to an extent unprecedented in US history. They did this on the gamble that they would take control of both houses and the presidency in the 2012 election. This is a gamble that they have now lost, and there will be consequences.

This morning in a press conference Q&A session, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid came out and said directly that filibuster reform is happening in the new congress:

When the new congress first meets, their first order of business is to adopt rules. Traditionally, the Vice President, in his role as President of the Senate, makes a simple statement,“This is a continuing body.” and the Senate then votes to keep the existing rules. However, on a few occasions, the President of the Senate has said something else,“This is not a continuing body.” and a new set of rules are put forth, and are voted on with a simple majority. Until these rules are voted on, there is no filibuster in the Senate.

There are several options that have been put forth:

Make the filibuster a sliding scale, the older the bill, the fewer the number of people needed to overcome the filibuster. This option was originally introduced by Senator Tom Harkin of Iowa several years ago.
To require debate in order to filibuster. This is the traditional “Mr Smith Goes to Washington” approach, and is favored by several members of congress. To keep a filibuster going, one must debate. This can be abused according to several political theories, however.
To change the wording of the procedural filibuster from a 3/5 members of the Senate to 3/5 of those present to vote. This would eliminate the popular tactic of hiding members who would otherwise vote for a bill, but have party pressure not to let it hit the floor, by making them hide in the cloak room. Other takes on the tactic include having the minority party declare its members on vacation, preventing a vote from reaching the 60 needed by not having enough people in the chamber to even vote.
Eliminating the filibuster entirely. This would eliminate much of the power of the minority power, and could cause issues down the line when the current majority becomes a minority, and is not considered likely.

By the time the 113th congress begins this January, the final decision on how the rules are to be changed should be known. Regardless of which option is taken, filibuster reform has been many years in the making. The Republican abuse of the rules in this manner is about to harm not only their own party strength in the Senate, but have harmed the very institution of Government. They claim government is the problem, when they have set out to make government the problem. The rejection of the Republican party in the past election should tell them that their ideas no longer work. That they’ve only barely held the House due to gerrymandering in multiple states should be a dire warning of their impending elimination as a national force. The shift in demographics, the greying of the baby boomers, and the ascent of the millenials means they have two options, evolve or perish. The change to the filibuster caused by their obstruction is but a sign of the changes they must face in the future.

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#21 Nov 8, 2012
If you want TOTALLY free healthcare,food,telephone,hous ing,education and opportunities move to the ghetto or the projects cause thats where they are going!
zipyourlip

London, KY

#24 Nov 8, 2012
I’ve noticed over the years, there are some fundamental differences in the way Republican and Democratic politicians think. Here are just 15 examples.

Republicans fear that the government has too much control over corporations. Democrats fear that corporations have too much control over our government.

Democrats believe it benefits all of us to help the weakest and the poorest among us. Republicans believe it benefits all of us to help the wealthiest and most powerful among us.

Republicans believe large corporations will always do what is best for the American people if the government stays out of the way. Democrats believe large corporations would disembowel you and sell your organs to the highest bidder if the government didn’t stop them.

Democrats believe everyone is entitled to health care regardless of their ability to pay. Republicans believe everyone is entitled to jack squat if they can’t pay for health care.

Democrats believe too much of our money goes to crooked corporate executives who take government subsidies and pay themselves $80 million salaries. Republicans believe too much of our money goes to teachers who make $30,000 a year.

Democrats believe anything that helps the American people during a recession or a time of crisis is the true essence of patriotism. Republicans believe anything that helps the American people during a recession or a time of crisis is the true essence of communism.

Democrats believe that we need to set high standards for clean air and drinking water. Republicans believe that standards for clean air and water are burdensome over-regulation.

Democrats believe the President and Congress need to work together to create jobs during a weak economy. Republicans believe that Congress should do nothing to create jobs and then blame the President.

Democrats believe that corporate polluters should be made to pay for the cleanup of their pollution. Republicans believe that making corporations clean up their pollution is burdensome over-regulation.

Democrats believe our health care system exists solely for the purpose of making people healthy. Republicans believe our health care system exists solely for the purpose of making a healthy profit.

Democrats believe Congress should be of the people, by the people and for the people. Republicans believe corporations are the people.

Democrats believe that corporations have too much influence over Congress due to their lobbyists and huge campaign contributions. Republicans believe the middle class has too much influence over Congress due to their voting and paying taxes.

Democrats believe we need to protect victims of corporate negligence by allowing Americans to file lawsuits against corporations. Republicans believe we need to protect large corporations from lawsuits by Americans who’ve been victimized by them.

Democrats believe that the rich should be taxed more than the poor and middle class. Republicans believe that the rich should be allowed to keep all their wealth, except for the millions in campaign contributions they give to politicians.

Democrats believe that too much money in politics produces corruption and destroys the American way of life. Republicans believe that money and corruption in politics are the American way of life.

These are just my observations from a lifetime of watching Democratic and Republican politicians. I’m sure some Republican will come up with their own clever list.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HELP Wanted: Masonry Labor Start immediately 2 min Masonry help 4
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 min Hatti_Hollerand 21,546
Somerset mayor, Keck or Girdler? 18 min Jarvis 162
Somerset mayor race 1 hr City slicker 2
Bruce W. Singleton Family Court Judge 1 hr Rachel 27
County Judge-Exec 1 hr you know 176
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr SNYB 131,466
Somerset Dating
Find my Match

Somerset Jobs