magic jack...do they work well?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
john

London, KY

#1 Jan 29, 2009
i've seen magic jack advertised on tv and talked to the sales person at radio shack about one. it almost sounds too good to be true. does anyone have one and if so are you happy with it? can you keep your current number? do you listen to advertisements and when would you if u do? can others listen in on your calls? anyother info would be appreciated.
BlahBlahBlah

Manchester, KY

#2 May 15, 2009
I would like info about the magic jack too. Anyone have any. I'm reading good and bad reviews everywhere I look and I wonder if it's worth it.

“Whats the good word???”

Since: Mar 09

Quahog

#3 May 15, 2009
It is basically just a voice over Internet device. In my opinion not worth buying. Your computer must be on and not in standby or hibernate mode. Go with either vonage or with a phone/cable/internet bundle from cable company.
crazy

Leavenworth, IN

#4 May 15, 2009
vonage sucks if you dont have a steady high speed internet you cant hear the other person if your speed drops they can hear ever other word and the customer service is very bad i have a vonage box if anyone wants to buy it 25.00 i have sat,broadband and it dont work good with it plus the phone number you get is not a local one mine was out of pikeville ky so if your friends call you its long distance for them
SkankHater

Tazewell, TN

#5 May 16, 2009
john wrote:
i've seen magic jack advertised on tv and talked to the sales person at radio shack about one. it almost sounds too good to be true. does anyone have one and if so are you happy with it? can you keep your current number? do you listen to advertisements and when would you if u do? can others listen in on your calls? anyother info would be appreciated.
I have it... is new experience.. Sounds muffled.. and you get a weird number.. mine is a number from a town about 40 miles away.. number will depend on the nearest hub to you.. It's worth it.. and just as advertized.. Not as good sounding as house phone.. but waaaaaaaaaay cheaper.. Up to you though.. and it's across internet, so no, no one can listen in on it.. I dont get advertisments on phone.. dont even think there are any on little that pops up on puter.. Hope that helps ya!
SCCEO

Somerset, KY

#6 May 16, 2009
Its dogshit, avoid it. You think you can get wine from water? Go read a golden book.
SkankHater

Pikeville, KY

#7 May 16, 2009
SCCEO wrote:
Its dogshit, avoid it. You think you can get wine from water? Go read a golden book.
Oh yeah.. made a lot of sense there pal...

Level 2

Since: Dec 08

London, KY

#8 May 16, 2009
I have had it almost a year now. The only problem with the magic jack is that we had to get a 502 number because there is no 606 numbers available thru magic jack. So if you get calls, your friends will have to dial long distance. To remedy that we have kept our regular phone thru windstream. However, we have dsl internet, and we set up our phone so we could accept all incoming calls for free, so our local friends and family could call us without it being long distance. If we use the windstream phone to dial out, it is then 10 cents a minute, and that way if the internet were to be down, and we were to need to call someone or even 911, we can. We pay $35.00 for windstream, which includes dsl, and the phone service described, and I am pretty sure it is like $20.00 a year for the magic jack. That is a heck of a lot cheaper than the 60 or 70 dollar a month bill we were getting from windstream. We have had like I said, 0 problems with our magic jack. We have always had service. We have had maybe 5 or 6 calls where we got disconnected*not bad for almost a years time*. Never any feedback or static. Maybe we have just been lucky with that, I don't know, but anywho, there is my tajke on magic jack. Big thumbs up.

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

Brownsville, TN

#9 May 16, 2009
my friend has the magic jack bought it at radio shack,he loves it.
Whatchamacallit

Oakland, CA

#10 May 16, 2009
Ok, with this magic jack, you only pay 19.99/year right? Can you call nationwide or is only for local calls?

I don't think I would like the idea of having a long distance number right here in the middle of the county. If I could get a local number, I would be all for it.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 May 16, 2009
Whatchamacallit wrote:
Ok, with this magic jack, you only pay 19.99/year right? Can you call nationwide or is only for local calls?
I don't think I would like the idea of having a long distance number right here in the middle of the county. If I could get a local number, I would be all for it.
Yup.. 19.95 yr nationwide.. And your number would greatly depend on how close you are to one of thier hubs.. Call em and see what they say.. Couldn't hurt..
ahah

France

#12 May 17, 2009
Whatchamacallit wrote:
Also they are suppose to be getting local numbers, and they can change them, when that time comes.
ispyu

Louisville, KY

#13 May 17, 2009
i love it, dont have it, so thats why i love it.
Doesnt work someplaces

United States

#14 May 17, 2009
The magic jack will not work with satellite based internet service like Hughes Net. You do get a Pikeville phone number but they say "sometime" in 2009 they will be able to port the local numbers over. You just have to have a GOOD high speed internet service for it to work right and you don't get that with satellite internet.
they suck

Richmond, KY

#15 May 19, 2009
Bought mine and it bit the dust in 2 months!!!
sound is amazing

Richmond, KY

#17 Jun 6, 2009
I have had my magic jack for about 3 months and I think it has paid for itself all ready. You can call all over US and Canada. I also found my phone quality as clear,amazingly clear as if it was on a landline. I highly reccomend this product.
Magicjacklover

Brownsville, TN

#18 Nov 21, 2009
I've had magicjack for almost a year and I love it. The only time I have problems with it is when something is downloading. Pause downloads when the phone rings and it's all good!
WOW

Somerset, KY

#19 Nov 21, 2009
Can you call outside of the US and Canada with the magicJack? I mean like using a calling card.
Like it

London, KY

#20 Nov 21, 2009
I bought it and went out of the country for 10 days. It worked good as I forwarded my cell phone and home phone to my Magic Jack number. It is a Pikeville number but hopefully that will change soon. If you do get one I suggest getting a decent cordless phone and plugging the base in at your PC and then you have a cordless handset.

For those that may have someone living or stationed overseas if you both have Magic Jack you can talk unlimited for free. The bottom line is you can call anywhere in the US or Canada for free and if you are anywhere in the world you can still call the US or Canada for free.
jojo

Harrison, AR

#21 Nov 22, 2009
maxwell62 wrote:
It is basically just a voice over Internet device. In my opinion not worth buying. Your computer must be on and not in standby or hibernate mode. Go with either vonage or with a phone/cable/internet bundle from cable company.
Hey Maxwell! Great to see your handsome face again!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 37 min North Mountain 156,562
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 hr gladthelakeisback 34,080
joesph hibbert 4 hr no bashing 1
Bo cook child molesration 4 hr bo sux nuts 7
any vegans in somerset? (Apr '10) 16 hr Gomer-ez 44
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 22 hr Princess Hey 15,461
Best place for Gymnastics in Somerset? (Nov '08) 23 hr Mee 41

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages