First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dead Heat

Somerset, KY

#1 Jun 5, 2012
I will be voting wet for various reasons. My concern is that the Dry voters can tell us what we can't do, but the wet voters are not telling the dry voters they have to indulge! I am not interested in beating a dead horse to death....
give me a chance

Liberty, KY

#2 Jun 5, 2012
rockcastle lost there vote and we need to also!
why

Harrison, AR

#3 Jun 5, 2012
All the posts here already and you bring this lame post?? I am voting wet too but please quit stirring up the stupidity with threads like this...geesh!
pore ole rodney king

Somerset, KY

#4 Jun 5, 2012
There has been a push for years to turn Somerset Community College into as 4 year school, perhaps a University. One person worked for a longtime until failing health brought a halt tho the efforts. All 4 year state colleges in KY are in a "Wet" town. It is my opinion that the time has passed to get a 4 year school here, due to budget constraints, but it seems to have never seriously been considered, given the non alcohol status of the area.
jack black

Brownsville, TN

#5 Jun 5, 2012
give me a chance wrote:
Could you please tell me why we need to stay dry?

“smiling on a cloudy day”

Level 7

Since: Jan 09

Shakedown Street

#6 Jun 5, 2012
why wrote:
All the posts here already and you bring this lame post?? I am voting wet too but please quit stirring up the stupidity with threads like this...geesh!
People are excited about the possibility of real positive change and expanded freedom in our community. They have just as much right to post their opinion here as anyone else.

It's a message board; people leave messages, oftentimes short and repetitive. So what, why does it bother you so?
Link

Lexington, KY

#7 Jun 5, 2012
give me a chance wrote:
If somerset votes wet you can move to Mt. Vernon so you can fit in.

http://www.jimadler.com/dry-counties-have-a-h...

http://thetimestribune.com/local/x1511619555/...

http://dwi-austin-tx.com/DryCounties.aspx

http://growmurray.com/facts.htm

http://www.kcbd.com/story/3337859/wet-vs-dry-...
pore ole rodney king

Somerset, KY

#8 Jun 5, 2012
Link wrote:
Those who advocate staying dry are a bit like those who think all guns should be confiscated. Prohibition was made a national issue because of some who were irresponsible drunks and wouldn't properly provide for their families. The temperance movement didn't solve that problem, though, and made it an annoying problem for responsible people who just enjoyed one of God's blessings.

Despite the enforcement of non drinking among their own lay people, Baptist still have as high a divorce rate as the national average. I don't think it is fair to lay that statistic at the feet of alcohol, since they claim to not imbibe, do you?
michelle

Whitley City, KY

#9 Jun 5, 2012
Corbin will have beer at Rite-Aid in the morning. Liquor was soon follow. Don't forget Corbin has a lake too along with I-75. Somerset better get their head out of the sand & vote wet or Corbin will be the place to be. Vote wet & progress in so many ways. Look at Danville & it doesn't have a lake or an interstate running through it. Look at the increase of their tax base. People are going to drink - legal or not. Why not reap the benefits?
metoo

Pineville, KY

#10 Jun 6, 2012
vote wet just because, it is time. I spent years in Chicago Ohio drunks aint no problem.. The oxys pushers meth heads and welfare ssi given to all these guys and girls that could lift a vw, have destroyed our beautiful place to live. Ps i am from Harlan Co it is worse over there.
michelle

Whitley City, KY

#11 Jun 6, 2012
metoo wrote:
vote wet just because, it is time. I spent years in Chicago Ohio drunks aint no problem.. The oxys pushers meth heads and welfare ssi given to all these guys and girls that could lift a vw, have destroyed our beautiful place to live. Ps i am from Harlan Co it is worse over there.
You have my sympathy being from Harlan Co. I agree with you about the pillheads.
tarheel mike

United States

#12 Jun 12, 2012
michelle wrote:
Corbin will have beer at Rite-Aid in the morning. Liquor was soon follow. Don't forget Corbin has a lake too along with I-75. Somerset better get their head out of the sand & vote wet or Corbin will be the place to be. Vote wet & progress in so many ways. Look at Danville & it doesn't have a lake or an interstate running through it. Look at the increase of their tax base. People are going to drink - legal or not. Why not reap the benefits?
Thanks from someone who has struggled to live Here the last 8 years in a mayberry time warp
Paul Revere

London, KY

#13 Jun 12, 2012
pore ole rodney king wrote:
There has been a push for years to turn Somerset Community College into as 4 year school, perhaps a University. One person worked for a longtime until failing health brought a halt tho the efforts. All 4 year state colleges in KY are in a "Wet" town. It is my opinion that the time has passed to get a 4 year school here, due to budget constraints, but it seems to have never seriously been considered, given the non alcohol status of the area.
I think the main problem with making SCC a four year institution is/was the lack of funding for infrastructure, student housing, administrative facilities, etc. This has always been the primary limiting factor. As you say, budget constraints due to the economy and other factors (Pikeville Univ.), are now at a point where it probably isn't doable.
pore ole rodney king

Somerset, KY

#14 Jun 13, 2012
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the main problem with making SCC a four year institution is/was the lack of funding for infrastructure, student housing, administrative facilities, etc. This has always been the primary limiting factor. As you say, budget constraints due to the economy and other factors (Pikeville Univ.), are now at a point where it probably isn't doable.
I disagree with you, on this issue, Paul. The money has been there, previously, but the "quasi-holy control faction" prevented it, instead throwing their money and influence to the religious schools outside the area.
Level 1

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#15 Jun 13, 2012
A four year curriculum college would be a major plus for your town. In many ways, not just college students.
Paul Revere

Manchester, KY

#16 Jun 13, 2012
<quoted text>
I disagree with you, on this issue, Paul. The money has been there, previously, but the "quasi-holy control faction" prevented it, instead throwing their money and influence to the religious schools outside the area.
That certainly is/was their right but, I don't ever recall hearing that any serious effort was underway to move toward making SCC a 4 year school. The infrastructure additions I mentioned above would take a pretty hefty sum of money. Don't think the money would be availble from private sources locally. Perhaps corporate donations but, I've never heard of local companies forking over that kind of money for anything. If Congressman Rogers couldn't get that kind of funding allocated for SCC then, I don't see where it is going to come from. We are talking many millions of dollars here.
pore ole rodney king

London, KY

#17 Jun 13, 2012
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
That certainly is/was their right but, I don't ever recall hearing that any serious effort was underway to move toward making SCC a 4 year school. The infrastructure additions I mentioned above would take a pretty hefty sum of money. Don't think the money would be availble from private sources locally. Perhaps corporate donations but, I've never heard of local companies forking over that kind of money for anything. If Congressman Rogers couldn't get that kind of funding allocated for SCC then, I don't see where it is going to come from. We are talking many millions of dollars here.
It would be unconscionable to spend the money now. That doesn't stop the reckless spending, but we the people cannot afford such an outlay now, given the national debt which has escalated in just over 30 years from about sixteen hundred dollars per man, woman, and child, to about fifty thousand per man, woman, and child.

Level 6

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#18 Jun 13, 2012
Have someone contact your Congressman and ask to to have one of his Staffers research if the Grant Provisions of the Higher Education Facilities Act of 1965 (20 USC Para 1132) are still in effect.
If so Facility Construction Grants may be available.
Paul Revere

Eubank, KY

#19 Jun 13, 2012
<quoted text>
It would be unconscionable to spend the money now. That doesn't stop the reckless spending, but we the people cannot afford such an outlay now, given the national debt which has escalated in just over 30 years from about sixteen hundred dollars per man, woman, and child, to about fifty thousand per man, woman, and child.
I agree and an atmosphere of austerity needs to sweep across America now so that future expendatures along these lines can take place.
Education

Versailles, KY

#20 Jun 14, 2012
Raptor F22 wrote:
A four year curriculum college would be a major plus for your town. In many ways, not just college students.
Four year curriculum is available now. EKU has a small campus in Somerset. With funding and students it could become a large campus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 min Don Barros Serrano 148,907
Tiffany Wheeler (Oct '09) 13 hr Jack 8
We Need Stronger Medical Patient Modesty (Nov '10) 13 hr BBclue 17
This or That? (May '11) 18 hr Princess Hey 2,177
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 20 hr Red_Forman 12,547
What happened to WKEQ 97.1? Sat Zeus 9
Sam aaron berry Sat Curious 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages