First Prev
of 187
Next Last
Level 1

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3727 Jan 26, 2011
Knowitall9 wrote:
<quoted text>Dynamite was Basil Webb - Polly Redmon was the barber on White St.- Bro. Mills had a barber shop on S. Maple St.- And there was a lot of competition between the Upper & Lower pool rooms - I've seen a lot of heads banged on the wall of Salutskis building - And , if you didn't qualify , you'd better stay off the south side of the square on Sat. night -
If I remember correctly, the lower pool room had delicious coneys. We loved them, but women weren't allowed in the pool rooms. So when we would go to town,(Saturdays), we would park in front of Salutskis and Dad would get us all a coney and seven up in a green bottle. It seems they had a walk-up place to order, or maybe I'm getting that confused with Holsomback's. Anyway, thanks for the memory,such as mine is.
In The Know

Somerset, KY

#3728 Jan 26, 2011
I worked at Harry's Market for 2 years. Long time ago and far, far away.
listening

London, KY

#3729 Jan 26, 2011
There is one past Mill Springs park in Monticello, I am not talking about the gift shop. But if you pass the gift shop and go where the road makes a y and take a left it is on the left as you enter that road. It has been there forever, has the old store smell and sells antiques.

There is another one in Pall Mall, Tennessee. It's a great store with an ole time feel to it.
In The Know

Somerset, KY

#3730 Jan 29, 2011
The streaker referred to above was named Tim. (Won't putin his last name as he is married now and not to the girl who streaked with him.) I was there that night. We knew he was going to do it. He planned to streak in, go through the dining room and out the other en. He streaked in on door and we had the other door blocked. Customers made him and his girl friend remove their tobbagon masks before they would let the two out. Totally 'starkers'.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3731 Jan 29, 2011
In The Know wrote:
The streaker referred to above was named Tim.(Won't putin his last name as he is married now and not to the girl who streaked with him.) I was there that night. We knew he was going to do it. He planned to streak in, go through the dining room and out the other en. He streaked in on door and we had the other door blocked. Customers made him and his girl friend remove their tobbagon masks before they would let the two out. Totally 'starkers'.
I know several Tim's and either one would be liable to do that - I got thrown out of that place one time , and I was probably the only sober person there -
Red Fox

Greenbrier, AR

#3732 Mar 2, 2011
Anyone remember the lowered black 50 ford that use to circle Finley's that had the hot engine that cornet machine shop built in it.Use to run the 27 strip a lot.It was a hot mama back in its time.
Honeychile

Middlesboro, KY

#3733 Mar 2, 2011
Knowitall9 wrote:
<quoted text>The Western Auto store was on E. Mt . Vernon - one door east of the Va. Cenema - owned by Mr. Carter Ross - Pierces Mkt . was on the west side of the Va. Cenema - E. Mt. Vernon St.
I only know 2 people in this world that knows all the ^*#! you know. I think I know who you are.

Level 8

Location hidden

#3734 Mar 2, 2011
Honeychile wrote:
<quoted text>
I only know 2 people in this world that knows all the ^*#! you know. I think I know who you are.
Everybody knows me - If I owe you anything , the check's in the mail - And , I'm not near as smart as I act - It's all in fun -

Level 8

Location hidden

#3735 Mar 2, 2011
Red Fox wrote:
Anyone remember the lowered black 50 ford that use to circle Finley's that had the hot engine that cornet machine shop built in it.Use to run the 27 strip a lot.It was a hot mama back in its time.
I'm agonna check with some older fellers and I bet we figure it out -
chopper T

Roscommon, MI

#3736 Mar 2, 2011
Im a older feller from Somerset and i know everything ,but they keep asking the wrong questions or else i got part timers & cant remember lol

Level 8

Location hidden

#3737 Mar 4, 2011
chopper T wrote:
Im a older feller from Somerset and i know everything ,but they keep asking the wrong questions or else i got part timers & cant remember lol
Can recall a lot of '49 -'51's around - Jimmy Young may have had one , Ervil Bray had one , Baker had one ,, hmmmm , still thunkin'-
Who

Burkesville, KY

#3738 Mar 3, 2013
Knowitall9 wrote:
<quoted text>I totally agree that the Judicial Center will be a step toward the future , but , I can still remember 99% of the old business's from the mid '50's 'til today - Wilsons Shoe store & repair ( basement - Masonic Bldg )- Lay - Simpson Furniture ?-Just off the square on S. Main -( not the e. mt . Vernon store ) The LeGrande Bus Garage - Norman Parkers Sunoco - Uptown Standard / Shell - A&P store - Carl's Gulf -etc..
Where was the A&P store?
Westwood

Brodhead, KY

#3739 Mar 4, 2013
The first A&P store that I remember was in the old Meeces hardware store building. I think it's torn down now for some new city building. I think the A&P moved a little east to the south east corner of College and E. Mt. Vernon. I believe that's where Food Fair is now.
MMXIII

Somerset, KY

#3740 Mar 4, 2013
Kroger was originally where Food Fair is now. A & P did not move, they just closed the doors and left.
Westwood

Brodhead, KY

#3741 Mar 4, 2013
MMXIII wrote:
Kroger was originally where Food Fair is now. A & P did not move, they just closed the doors and left.
Was that the first Kroger store in Somerset?
Walt

London, KY

#3742 Mar 4, 2013
Does anyone know if Red Fox is still with us?
MMXIII

Somerset, KY

#3743 Mar 4, 2013
Westwood wrote:
<quoted text>
Was that the first Kroger store in Somerset?
Yes.

Level 8

Location hidden

#3744 Mar 5, 2013
Walt wrote:
Does anyone know if Red Fox is still with us?
I think he went on to his reward - Not sure -
Level 6

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#3745 Mar 6, 2013
The black 50 or 49 ford that could drag the rear bumper on take off, belonged to either D. Trimble, Tooter Ramsey or D. Whitaker (State Police).
"PeeWee" E.Alexander had the old Red Primer, No hood, 40 FORD Business Coupe tanker, with a T-9 flat head Caddilac Engine with 3 Chrome Stromberg 97 Carbs, that R. Hall and J. Price used to drag on Densil Trimble Drag strip(Parkers Mill Road) before the west Somerset Drag strip was built.
jackie mcgowan

Somerset, KY

#3746 Oct 14, 2015
Weddles Restaurant wrote:
It was my dad's place (Clarence Weddle)
He also owned the (Arcade Pool Hall) they were
back to back with a court yard to seperate them.
The pool hall was on Zachery Way.
<quoted text>
do you have any photos of pool rooms that was down town somerset? inside of them or outside of them? would love to have a couple of photos of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 187
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is Tony B. IRVINE? 54 min FormerFlame 2
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr North Mountain 156,445
Tina was a Broyles 3 hr Reality 2
Need to find new Dr was patients of Dr grimble 3 hr Katniss 13
Casey from keno 3 hr Keno boy 2
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 3 hr Princess Hey 12,900
Best place for Gymnastics in Somerset? (Nov '08) 4 hr OTG homo 40

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages