Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 159576 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#112194 Sep 2, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes when it comes to other nations I have a far less aggressive stance... You see I am an American and not a Citizen of the World... We have, or suppose to have, Constitutional based laws... The other countries and cultures have their own and it is Not up the the US to be their protectors... I care deeply that others in other nations kill each other as much as I care that so many in my country have so little regard for for human life.
But at the same time there are millions of people on the planet that want to kill me and my family and are willing to fly planes into buildings, use WMD's and strap explosives on their own children to kill me and I don't see where I, or the US, should spend our treasure and blood to protect a culture of death from itself... And Islam is absolutely a death cult...
I seriously doubt there are millions of people who want to kill you and your family. If that was the case then acts of terror on a larger scale would be far more common. Instead we see isolated, small events. Failed attempts. And lots of infighting.

Extremists are the minority in all cultures. Here in the USA we have our own extremists. We have some very mouthy Christian pastors who like to talk publicly about killing gays or beating children. In most Islamic countries you have more extreme voices and general attitude is shifted right of center regarding traditionally conservative ideas like family values, religion, and patriarchy.

But "millions" of them don't want you dead. Or else you'd be dead.

Level 6

Location hidden

#112195 Sep 2, 2013
Being Logical wrote:
As a Christian, I would love for the Bible to be taught in every school. As a human, I can see the pitfalls of this, the number #1 being you would be forcing one religion on the entire US population; and while I don't think that is a bad thing spiritually, I do not think God wants a people forced to believe in him or worship him without a choice.
We've seen where our children have gone since they took the Bible (or any religious teachings) out of the school. Our children are taught they evolved from fish and animals, so they are reverting back to behaving like unprincipled, cornered animals. I feel if you teach evolution, then you should also teach creationism.
Once a child has a sense of "forever" he may make better decisions in this life instead of saying, "What does it matter. I'm just gonna die and that's it." People have to have hope in order to strive to make tomorrow better for themselves and others. Without hope, life is going to continue that downward slide.
Perhaps we could compile and only teach the good principals combining ALL religions that teach peace and love of fellow man? I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that. Unless you are one who likes kids killing kids and even taking their own lives because they're being taught they are nothing but inconsequential specks of evoluation that just happened; no purpose, no reason and no future.
We see what this teaching has done since Madeline O'Hara. Why can't we make decisions based on giving hope back to our children.
Thank you.
As Mike pointed out, you cannot assign blame to one factor for all the ills you perceive today. The fact is schools were never given a mandate to proselytize to children. The Constitution kinda frowns on that.

We should teach kids the best we know. Critical thinking skills, mainstream science, language and mathematics. Teaching religion should be in the mix, but as a comparative/critical exercise, NEVER in a devotional manner. A class on mythology and religion would be good as an elective.

I find it disturbing that you think it would be OK to force kids to be basically preached to. As you said "...you would be forcing one religion on the entire US population; and while I don't think that is a bad thing spiritually, I do not think God wants a people forced to believe in him or worship him without a choice."

Consider what you are saying here. You seem to recognize it as a mostly negative thing but not because it would violate the idea of the liberty of conscious and not because it would be a cheap and dirty move to woo the minds of people who are too young to know better...you find a problem with it because something in your Book says not to do it.

And that is why it is NEVER a good idea to let religion have ANY power in government. It is not based on reason, it is based on faith and it depends on the willingness to surrender autonomy to a system of authoritarian control. And that control comes from a book that was written before we knew what germs were.

Not a good idea.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112196 Sep 2, 2013
but then wrote:
<quoted text>
There is such a thing as killing in self defense. If someone is endangering your life you can kill them and not even be charged in some cases.
I am sure you agree that a woman should have the right to save her own life by having an abortion, at any stage, if it comes down to it.
I have a Hang-nail... I have to Abort!
<1% has EVER been because of the Mother's health!
56,000,000 reported Babies have died, and we are not blameless!
That's why the Lord gave us Obama!
LOL

Level 6

Location hidden

#112197 Sep 2, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I have a Hang-nail... I have to Abort!
<1% has EVER been because of the Mother's health!
56,000,000 reported Babies have died, and we are not blameless!
That's why the Lord gave us Obama!
LOL
There's a 13-yo girl I know who now has a baby. She had the baby because, thanks to her Christian upbringing, the idea of an abortion is the same as murder. Now whatever future she might have had is forever altered and her chances of achieving a high level of education, employment, and happiness are diminished.

All because people like you believe in magic.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112198 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like what any blind partisan might say. I have no faith in your perceptions.
Then grow a pair of "perceptions" yourself!
Maybe you are too close to the crap your swimming in to see it?
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112199 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I believe their might be a man named Jesus. I believe, belief causes actions.
"might be a man named Jesus"... I don't think that's strong enough!
Even the demons believe stronger than that, and they tremble!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112200 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I know this is what fox news is telling you. Now please tell me why you have blind faith to fox news?
Maybe a republican could have come told us what you wish to say about the good things black persons are doing.
BTW, that fist sentence was an extremely racist thing to say.
Fox has people like Juan Williams, and Bob Beckle on it
to represent the Liberal/Democratic view...
Sometimes, they say really profound things!
They both talk about the racism of people like Sharpton, n Jackson!
Juan even wrote a book about the collapse of the black families,
and the effect of un-wed mothers (70% today) on the anger, and poverty in the black community!
But... they still think Obama is a GOOD Leader, a Good role model for people...
Blacks do have it way better today, than yesterday, and
NONE of us alive today, had a damn thing to do with slavery!
The race-baiter industry ought to get over it!
No... too much money in it keeping things stirred up!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112201 Sep 2, 2013
GOATSEE wrote:
Nasty!
Do NOT look at this!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112202 Sep 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a 13-yo girl I know who now has a baby. She had the baby because, thanks to her Christian upbringing, the idea of an abortion is the same as murder. Now whatever future she might have had is forever altered and her chances of achieving a high level of education, employment, and happiness are diminished.
No!
Because you people promote sex to children!
Killing a Baby because she fell for your lies...
You wish!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#112203 Sep 2, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I might add...
Many young pregnant/Mothers still go to school, get Jobs, and live!
The father has the blame too!
SistaNoneYaBiz

United States

#112204 Sep 2, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't see the hypocrisy in calling me a name aimed directly at me that I may considered an insult, uncouth, non-cultured but want me to give a rats ass that god dammit might bother your self assumed fanaticism....
potty mouth
SistaNoneYaBiz

United States

#112205 Sep 2, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
Q: you know damn well Y is not arguing that point. so why are you pretending to be so patois.
"Q wrote"
By your reasoning then maybe we should let the woman choose to retroactively kill her 12 year old or her 10 kids by 8 baby daddies... Since "there are a host of other arguments in support of the right to choose, such as the reduction of poverty and crime."
And heck that woman didn't really understand the suffering she and her kids would be going through 12 years down the line when the father up and splits and leaves them on the street...
That ol' "babies are like puppies" an duh givvernment will provides, so'z we kin just breeds like dogs---entitleMENTALity case mentality.

Sick in the head. Sick, sick, sick.
And disgusting.
SistaNoneYaBiz

United States

#112206 Sep 2, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>I might add...
Many young pregnant/Mothers still go to school, get Jobs, and live!
The father has the blame too!
And many more (especially these days) give absolutely NO thought to CONTRIBUTING to the raising of such THEMSELVES--withOUT givvernment intervention.

It's a huge problem these days.

Twenty hours a week of FREE community service ought to be required for those living off the givverment-for either NON employed party, to pay for what they Consume.

That'd wean a whole lot of that mindless, clueless NONsense.
Brewster

Ranger, GA

#112207 Sep 2, 2013
they should bring the prayer back to schools in the morning first thing be fore school starts, plus the ten commandments, and paddling's if we had the same stuff in school taht was in place 30 years ago then we wouldnt have teen pregnancy's on the rise , not have kids murdering their parents like we hear about and you never heard about kids goin to school and shooting the place up. so yea bring it to the schools, because we need help in america and obama is not it.
SistaNoneYaBiz

United States

#112208 Sep 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If I am lying about something, tell me specifically. Otherwise, you are just making up shit.
First, you have no as yet said whether you support the invasion of Iraq yet. Likely because you do not wish to be caught in a contradiction.
Keep in mind, I have no defended a single military action by Obama here. So you seem to be jumping to some conclusions about me.
On the other hand, you defended the invasion of Iraq, but stopped short of claiming the invasion is something you supported.
Your statements seem wishy washy.
I think we would actually agree on a few things on this subject.
And how can we ever handle it on our own country when Christian fundamentalists here cannot understand the good of secularism.
This is the part I am trying to handle, and you are on the wrong side of it.
You are NOT paying attention, because I ALREADY answered the question on Iraq. As well as even gave reason WHY.
And I am NOT going to say(post) it againn-because ones like you need to learn to pay attention and listen the FIRST time.

When you decided to pull your head out of the arses of History, and would rather discuss more CURRENT events, pay attention the First time when people respond in dialogues with you, rather than just jumping on the CONdescending bandwagon of IgnoRants, as it might malke for better discussions.
SistaNoneYaBiz

United States

#112209 Sep 2, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text> It never ceases to amaze me that some people think a child must be introduced and raised in a Christian Environment in order to have morals and do the right thing. Your argument has as much stability as a tri-pod missing a leg! Show me anyone who likes kids killing kids, or anyone else for that matter! I have children in school, and not once has my child came home and informed me they were once a fish (because that's what the teacher is telling me)
Possibly coral even. Rocks tooo!

All kinds of theories :-)
Oren Rementer

Ashburn, VA

#112210 Sep 2, 2013
the best fr ee online dating website! video chat, send and receive messages, and flirts all free!! check it out! http://tinyurl.com/luzac49
Bradford Byfield

Ashburn, VA

#112213 Sep 2, 2013
never thought i would find one that was totally free, they all usually ask you for a credit card, but this one didnt! i was able to chat and use every feature of the site for free, send and receive messages, check my flirts and even free video chat. you guy and girls should really check this one out! its definitely worth a look http://tinyurl.com/kh3jx58

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#112214 Sep 2, 2013
Nephilim wrote:
<quoted text>I always wondered about the golden calf story. Seems like after watching the ten plagues, splitting the sea and everything else, they wouldn't have built a false God and started worshiping it the first time Moses took off for a minute. Kind of makes me think that either they really didn't see those "miracles" or the didn't switch Gods right in the middle of everything.

Now if neither ever happened and it's just a story, that makes a lot of sense. If you saw God part the sea would you worship a golden calf?
Never understood that either. Those were people with very weak faith. Their ambition and hope was completely broken down by the Egyptians while enslaved, but I would think their miraculous deliverance would have brought excitement and renewed faith. But they ended up in the desert thinking they were going to starve to death. If you consider Maslo's hierarchy of needs, their physical needs were not being met so it was probably hard to think about much else. And Moses was away so long they thought he died on the mountain.
Abrahammmmm

Somerset, KY

#112215 Sep 2, 2013
Being Logical wrote:
As a Christian, I would love for the Bible to be taught in every school. As a human, I can see the pitfalls of this, the number #1 being you would be forcing one religion on the entire US population; and while I don't think that is a bad thing spiritually, I do not think God wants a people forced to believe in him or worship him without a choice.
We've seen where our children have gone since they took the Bible (or any religious teachings) out of the school. Our children are taught they evolved from fish and animals, so they are reverting back to behaving like unprincipled, cornered animals. I feel if you teach evolution, then you should also teach creationism.
Once a child has a sense of "forever" he may make better decisions in this life instead of saying, "What does it matter. I'm just gonna die and that's it." People have to have hope in order to strive to make tomorrow better for themselves and others. Without hope, life is going to continue that downward slide.
Perhaps we could compile and only teach the good principals combining ALL religions that teach peace and love of fellow man? I don't see why anyone should have a problem with that. Unless you are one who likes kids killing kids and even taking their own lives because they're being taught they are nothing but inconsequential specks of evoluation that just happened; no purpose, no reason and no future.
We see what this teaching has done since Madeline O'Hara. Why can't we make decisions based on giving hope back to our children.
Thank you.
Wasn't segregation of schools going on around the same time the bible was taken out of schools? Couldn't you make the same argument the reason the schools are in the shape they are is because of segregation and not the removal of religion from schools? Seeing how school shootings happen to Christians and in Christian schools, I don't think you can blame the removal of the bible.

As far as not having a future to look forward to in the after life, aren't most people going to hell? Doesn't the bible say the path to life is narrow and only a few make it? Telling kids they will burn in hell doesn't sound like a nice after life. Seems like kids would do better knowing that they need to make the most out of their life instead of telling them they have a 'do over' after they die.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TeeVee said local JCPenney may close. 36 min shopper 3
Ashley Powers 1 hr Harry biggin 5
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 2 hr Princess Hey 13,150
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 3 hr Common-Senses 35,196
Mexicans 6 hr Funny 9
Jennifer Neal 7 hr FiddleDeeDee 8
Does anyone know how painful a skin graft is? (Nov '09) 8 hr Ethansibert 26

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance