Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
104,461 - 104,480 of 128,923 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

why not wrote:
Why not let them study whatever they want
Because...
They may see the Light, and
Darkness Hates the Light!
Proven every day on the thread!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

tallyho wrote:
<quoted text>
the bible proves nothing ... it is the faith that one has .. you believe , then in your mind so be it
Faith is great...
You got to have Faith, my faith (That God was real) was turned
into Knowing God is Real when He saved me, and the
study of His Word... I have Faith, that What He Says...
He WILL do it!
He Told Moses that we'd KNOW He is God, by what He was going to do!
He DID it, so even the Atheist would know, and guess what?
They will deny it... Go figure!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it is not a Lie to you for it to be a Lie you would actually have to think there was no god and then say there was.... The Word is Delusional... You have been Deluded into Absolutely Believing in magic therefore you are not Lying... No more than the poor soul that is not lying when he truly Believes Elves and says they are real... No more than the Greeks that Truly Believed in the gods on Olympus when they said their assorted gods were real.... No more than the Billions of long dead ancient peoples around the world the Truly Believed in their 1000's of assorted gods when they stated categorically, They Are Real....
Magic???
You mean like the Magic of and explosion creating order???
How many houses have you seen built WITH Dynamite?(0)

You mean the Magic of Information in DNA to construct the
irreducible complexities of bacterial flagellum?

You mean the Magic of Life coming from Non-Life?

Or...
Do you mean the Magic of a Demonic force causing Millions
of people believing Lucy was your ancestor???

There are MORE lies in your Books, than mine!

Besides... If I was delusional... Don't wake me up,
because My end has a Hope... yours never had!

Still Praying for ya!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
YaA, the clam fossils aren't on Mt. Everest, they're in it. If there is anything that proves the Bible to be more trustworthy than man, it has to be the Christians - and that sure ain't saying much in its defense.
In/on... does it matter? NO!
The waters covered the earth... Fossils were created when
sludge covered the dead!
Christians are Trustworthy...
Trying to stop you guys from KILLING Babies is just one thing!

56,000,000 Babies to date... 1,000's a month die
because your god is sex!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

SisterNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
That's according to who you would be speaking with about it as well.
(customarily and traditionally--like St Nick- IS a CATHOLIC religious thing...while trees are maybe more pagan, representing the more "spring like" weather of warmer months....and in some countries, many "believed that evergreens would keep away witches, ghosts, evil spirits, and illness.")
Christmas is both a sacred religious holiday and a worldwide cultural and commercial phenomenon. For two millennia, people around the world have been observing it with traditions and practices that are both religious and secular in nature.
Christians celebrate Christmas Day as the anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, a spiritual leader whose teachings form the basis of their religion.
Popular customs include exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending church, sharing meals with family and friends and, of course, waiting for Santa Claus to arrive. December 25–Christmas Day–has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1870.
So ummm...atheist are GUILTY of a little "cherry picking" themselves?
(yeah, kinda looks that way lol)
Sure. I'm being hyperbolic, to some degree. Of course some people include religious elements in their Christmas celebrations. But I don't, and virtually all of the commercial Christmas stuff leaves it out.

My point is that the holiday is owned by everyone in Western culture. It is not limited to Christians and doesn't have anything to do with Christ for all practical purposes.

That's how these things evolve. We still call Thursday by a name that honors a god nobody believes in anymore.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I posted about how I stopped drinking(if you wish to call that a drinking problem) when someone claimed (I think YAA)only religion can help alcoholism.
I see you refuted none of my points and simply posted part of one of the studies you posted.
An atheist very well might not see suicide as immoral in certain situations. And if you posted the source of the study, I could show where the study was done on the elderly and thus likely had a situation that would fit the moral dilemma.
But you refuse to have an honest debate so you can stay in denial.
I note the study showed several reasons the atheist subjects might have chose suicide. Care to debate those reasons?
Strangely the study was so careless in not having subjects that had the same situations, such as being married or with children. That is a lack of controls. Of course someone with a spouse or children would have more motive to not commit suicide, so why on earth would the study not use subjects with the same circumstances is beyond me.
The study said the atheists had fewer family members visiting.
So just what are the reasons for this? One could be that the religious family did not approve of the atheist in the family. Who knows, but either way it is but one more lack of controls in the study. Of course and elderly person with health problems in some sort of old folks home that is not being visited by anyone is going to have a higher chance of suicide. Does it take a study to deduce this?
"only religion can help alcoholism"
I claimed NO such thing!
If you cannot tell the truth... just don't speak!

It is a KNOW fact that Religious based programs are FAR more effective than secular programs!
Check it out before you post... IF you want to be Truthful!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

SisterNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the beginning there was light"....
The one sentence, that both Science And the Bible, seem to agree upon.
(See the BB theory and Genesis 1:3)
PHYSICS.
According to Genesis, god doesn't really create the things that make light until after he makes light. And of course the order is different depending on if you're going with creation myth 1 or creation myth 2, both of which are in Genesis.

The Bible is no more scientifically accurate than a first grader's drawings of giant robots fighting sharks.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I will go into this deeper, Not for you because you haven't shown the intellectual honesty to actually consider it... So no a Brontosaurus or Triceratops did not evolve into birds but a few from the Raptor line did...
Science says you are wrong;
Bird-From-Dinosaur Theory of Evolution Challenged::
Feb. 10, 2010 — A new study just published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides yet more evidence that birds did not descend from ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs, experts say, and continues to challenge decades of accepted theories about the evolution of fli
A new analysis was done of an unusual fossil specimen discovered in 2003 called "microraptor," in which three-dimensional models were used to study its possible flight potential, and it concluded this small, feathered species must have been a "glider" that came down from trees. The research is well done and consistent with a string of studies in recent years that pose increasing challenge to the birds-from-dinosaurs theory, said John Ruben, a professor of zoology at Oregon State University who authored a commentary in PNAS on the new research.
The weight of the evidence is now suggesting that not only did birds not descend from dinosaurs, Ruben said, but that some species now believed to be dinosaurs may have descended from birds.
Almost 20 years of research at OSU on the morphology of birds and dinosaurs, along with other studies and the newest PNAS research, Ruben said, are actually much more consistent with a different premise -- that birds may have had an ancient common ancestor with dinosaurs, but they evolved separately on their own path, and after millions of years of separate evolution birds also gave rise to the raptors. Small animals such as velociraptor that have generally been thought to be dinosaurs are more likely flightless birds, he said.
"Raptors look quite a bit like dinosaurs but they have much more in common with birds than they do with other theropod dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus," Ruben said. "We think the evidence is finally showing that these animals which are usually considered dinosaurs were actually descended from birds, not the other way around."
Another study last year from Florida State University raised similar doubts, Ruben said.
In the newest PNAS study, scientists examined a remarkable fossil specimen that had feathers on all four limbs, somewhat resembling a bi-plane. Glide tests based on its structure concluded it would not have been practical for it to have flown from the ground up, but it could have glided from the trees down, somewhat like a modern-day flying squirrel. Many researchers have long believed that gliders such as this were the ancestors of modern birds.
"This model was not consistent with successful flight from the ground up, and that makes it pretty difficult to make a case for a ground-dwelling theropod dinosaur to have developed wings and flown away," Ruben said. "On the other hand, it would have been quite possible for birds to have evolved and then, at some point, have various species lose their flight capabilities and become ground-dwelling, flightless animals -- the raptors. This may be hugely upsetting to a lot of people, but it makes perfect sense."
In their own research, including one study just last year in the Journal of Morphology, OSU scientists found that the position of the thigh bone and muscles in birds is critical to their ability to have adequate lung capacity for sustained long-distance flight, a fundamental aspect of bird biology.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So where in the bible does it say when the flood occurred?
Sea fossils on top of Mt. Everest does show it was once under water, but that alone does not show when it was under water. Are their any human fossils to be found on Mt. Everest to show evidence of a flood in mans time on earth? Nope. So what is your excuse for this? Their are a lot of sea animals and no land animals. Just what one would expect if the science of the day was correct, but not what one would expect if the flood story was true. If the flood story was true, one would expect to find many land animal fossils on Mt Everest.
Let's use your Logic when we ask about transitional fossils... shall we?
(Just because you haven't found any... doesn't mean there aren't any!)
I would say... Everest was under water, and only grew after the waters subsided, all the smaller critters drowned quickly, and mankind fought hard to survive, climbing trees, hills, grabbed boats, and logs, and maybe floated for days!
We've found ruins, with dead peoples bones scattered all over, and artifacts found in coal layers dated by shady means to say they're older than they are!
Genesis 6 is the story of Noah... read it!
We are far worse today... we all deserve punishment!
Thank God for Jesus!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So again your diversion from the question is pointing out I am not an expert on the bible?
None of this changes the fact that King David was about as moral as Saddam Hussein. If this is the sort of men you hold dear, I have no respect for your beliefs. It only makes the story look like the stereo-typical worship of theocratic dictators. Barbaric dictators. Best friend or not, having someone sent to the front lines in order to take his wife is immoral. Funny how the lineage of this wife stealing is the same line Jesus is to be from.
So if this is all meant to be, the wife stealing was meant to be.
Need I pile on about how the first child was killed as some sort of punishment? Talk about an immoral god, this tops the list. You worship an immoral murderer of children.
Well...
at least you believe Jesus was real...
Remember that Name, as it Is the Only Name
by which one can be saved!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Magic???
You mean like the Magic of and explosion creating order???
How many houses have you seen built WITH Dynamite?(0)
You mean the Magic of Information in DNA to construct the
irreducible complexities of bacterial flagellum?
You mean the Magic of Life coming from Non-Life?
Or...
Do you mean the Magic of a Demonic force causing Millions
of people believing Lucy was your ancestor???
There are MORE lies in your Books, than mine!
Besides... If I was delusional... Don't wake me up,
because My end has a Hope... yours never had!
Still Praying for ya!
I understand since you don't understand the science it seems like magic to you... Just like some kid that watches Cris Angel float in the air or slide a quarter under his skin might be amazed and stunned at the magic, but those that study it know their is no Magic involved, all can be explained within the simple laws of ordinary physics and some psychology ....

No I was speaking of actually Magically turning water into an alcoholic beverage without the required sugar, fruit, fermentation process... Actually walking on the surface of water without wires and underwater clear planks, Actually producing food for hundreds from a couple of fish and a loaf of bread without a stash under the false basket bottom... And the dozens of other claims to Magic stated over time... Magic is doing something Super naturally that Actually breaks the laws of Physics ... None of the mentioned scientific theories do that, therefore they are not Magic, just beyond your knowledge base....
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The bible was written by man. Can you say something that does not contradict just once in your life?
Yes I can...
Your books was written by men too!
I might ad... Men that don't like God!
I know God is real....
If He slays me, yet I will follow Him!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>They can study whatever they want. Ever heard of a church? Do you see us wanting them outlawed?
yes... your kind cannot stand righteousness,
and they do whatever they can to squelch the Truth!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Responding in the book The Irrational Atheist to criticisms that religion is harmful, Theodore Beale argues that religious individuals tend to be happier and healthier, more likely to have children, and more sexually satisfied than non-religious individuals.[84] There is substantial research suggesting that religious people are happier and less stressed.[85][86] Surveys by Gallup, the National Opinion Research Center and the Pew Organization conclude that spiritually committed people are twice as likely to report being "very happy" than the least religiously committed people.[87] An analysis of over 200 social studies contends that "high religiousness predicts a rather lower risk of depression and drug abuse and fewer suicide attempts, and more reports of satisfaction with sex life and a sense of well-being,"[88] and a review of 498 studies published in peer-reviewed journals concluded that a large majority of them showed a positive correlation between religious commitment and higher levels of perceived well-being and self-esteem and lower levels of hypertension, depression, and clinical delinquency.[89][vague][90] Studies by Keith Ward show that overall religion is a positive contributor to mental health,[91] and a meta-analysis of 34 recent studies published between 1990 and 2001 also found that religiosity has a salutary relationship with psychological adjustment, being related to less psychological distress, more life satisfaction, and better self-actualization.[92] Andrew E. Clark and Orsolya Lelkes surveyed 90,000 people in 26 European countries and found that "[one's own] religious behaviour is positively correlated with individual life satisfaction.", greater overall "religiosity" in a region also correlates positively with "individual life satisfaction". The reverse was found to be true: a large "atheist" (non-religious) population "has negative spillover effects" for both the religious and non-religious members of the population.[93] Finally, a recent systematic review of 850 research papers on the topic concluded that "the majority of well-conducted studies found that higher levels of religious involvement are positively associated with indicators of psychological well-being (life satisfaction, happiness, positive affect, and higher morale) and with less depression, suicidal thoughts and behavior, drug/alcohol use/abuse."[94]
Great post, so it will go in their "Denial Pile"...
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Seeing as how you cannot articulate a full argument or present evidence, I will just ignore your broad stroke accusation as it would take to many assumptions to debate.
I picture a lil kid with his fingers in his ears
chanting "It ain't so, it ain't so...."
Hahahahahaha

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Science says you are wrong;
Bird-From-Dinosaur Theory of Evolution Challenged::
Feb. 10, 2010 — A new study just published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences provides yet more evidence that birds did not descend from ground-dwelling theropod dinosaurs, experts say, and continues to challenge decades of accepted theories about the evolution of fli
A new analysis was done of an unusual fossil specimen discovered in 2003 called "microraptor," in which three-dimensional models were used to study its possible flight potential, and it concluded this small, feathered species must have been a "glider" that came down from trees. The research is well done and consistent with a string of studies in recent years that pose increasing challenge to the birds-from-dinosaurs theory, said John Ruben, a professor of zoology at Oregon State University who authored a commentary in PNAS on the new research.
The weight of the evidence is now suggesting that not only did birds not descend from dinosaurs, Ruben said, but that some species now believed to be dinosaurs may have descended from birds.
Almost 20 years of research at OSU on the morphology of birds and dinosaurs, along with other studies and the newest PNAS research, Ruben said, are actually much more consistent with a different premise -- that birds may have had an ancient common ancestor with dinosaurs, but they evolved separately on their own path, and after millions of years of separate evolution birds also gave rise to the raptors. Small animals such as velociraptor that have generally been thought to be dinosaurs are more likely flightless birds, he said.
"Raptors look quite a bit like dinosaurs but they have much more in common with birds than they do with other theropod dinosaurs such as Tyrannosaurus," Ruben said. "We think the evidence is finally showing that these animals which are usually considered dinosaurs were actually descended from birds, not the other way around."
Another study last year from Florida State University raised similar doubts, Ruben said.
You might want to read that a few times... As it is flawed on it's face owing that there are even today several Flightless birds... And it also states that Birds would have that birds may have had an ancient common ancestor with dinosaurs... So this one study, which is in disagreement with many other studies, just says that the branch off of the birds was a bit further back that first thought...

It says that Birds and Dinos had a Common Ancestor and evolved in to the raptor line and other along other evolutionary paths ... I say that started happening around 100 million years ago , this study say it may have been 200 million years ago... big Whoop... Exact Same Outcome... Birds today were what we called Dinosaurs in the fossil record before the big rock hit us....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Let's use your Logic when we ask about transitional fossils... shall we?
(Just because you haven't found any... doesn't mean there aren't any!)
I would say... Everest was under water, and only grew after the waters subsided, all the smaller critters drowned quickly, and mankind fought hard to survive, climbing trees, hills, grabbed boats, and logs, and maybe floated for days!
We've found ruins, with dead peoples bones scattered all over, and artifacts found in coal layers dated by shady means to say they're older than they are!
Genesis 6 is the story of Noah... read it!
We are far worse today... we all deserve punishment!
Thank God for Jesus!
We have found millions of transitional fossils... Every Fossil is a transitional fossil.... Just as Every Living Critter is a transitional critter....
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
horsey Puckey Doo Doo... Lizards lay eggs, Turtles lay eggs, Dinosaurs Laid eggs, Birds of all types lay eggs, Humans Have eggs.... Eggs predate Chickens by 100's of millions of years.... It's totally irrational to say chickens came before the egg when we have fossilized eggs that date back 270 million years....
Read it slowly this time!
"Scientists determined that the chicken had to come first,
because only a chicken can lay a chicken egg"
Now... did that chicken have to wait LONG before finding a mate???
No... the was another chicken at the Time of creation...
Go figure!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
To Carry on the thought....
The Chicken evolved from one of the raptor lines of dinosaurs that were laying eggs 65 million years ago and when a big rock smacked this ball of dirt and water.... They continued to evolve into little humming birds and giant Terror Birds of the long past, they evolved into Cardinals and Finches and Road Island Red's... Before they were called Chickens what they were was laying eggs....
So you say, or was it some other hater of God???
We'll blame the OTHER guy, as I suspect you think there is something out there, and you don't want to loose face w/ your friends... LOL
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

SisterNoneYaBiz wrote:
<quoted text>
Self awareness of ones OWN faults and imperfections, can be a wonderful thing eh YaA?:-)
"But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience"
(Luke 8:15).
James 4:8
"Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you
sinners, and PURIFY your HEARTS, you double minded."

Psalm 51:3, 10 & 17
"For I acknowledge my transgressions; and my sin is ever
before me." "Create in me a CLEAN HEART , O God, and renew a right spirit within me." "....a broken and a contrite HEART, O God, you will not despise.
Amen! God Bless you :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

86 Users are viewing the Somerset Forum right now

Search the Somerset Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 18 min Trouser Cough 20,068
Todd Wood gives enormous raises 45 min uhhhhhhhhhm 26
Roses.. Closing Its Doors? 1 hr Tyler 9
Mill Springs 1 hr gladthelakeisback 2
Word Association (Feb '09) 2 hr JANNlE 11,409
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr Flint hill bandit 26,210
Has tipping gone too far? 3 hr Tip 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Somerset Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE