Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,232

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
curious

Ocoee, FL

#109173 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Does the study claim atheism causes these problems? Nope, so why lie about it repeatedly?
Does the study claim atheism cannot solve these problems? Nope, likely because that is just a nonsensical claim to start with. But that certainly does not prevent you from lying about it.
Does the study say why some atheist attend church? Yes, but not for the reasons you just claimed, so why keep lying about it?
Their are many non religious ways to solve the issues you cite. I get that you believe religion is the only answer, but that is clearly just bias and closed minded ignorance speaking, not facts.
I get that you are not burdened with guilt when you lie, as the other study you posted showed the religious are often not stressed with guilt when doing bad things. So sad your religion has blocked your natural moral compass.
Stop spinning things and answer the question.
Wouldn't it be a more effective use of your time to try and help those Atheists "Unbelievers" who are afflicted by drug and alcohol addiction,who havwe mental problems and a higher suicide rate than the average,as opposed to worrying about my grammar?
It is a simple question..
Several studies have shown this to be true,then,you tell me why you believe this is occuring in your community.
Why are Atheists attending religious services on a regular basis? What is religion providind them that Atheism is not?
Why is there a higher rate of mental issues,suicides and alcohol and drug addiction?

And please,don't tell me they go to church because they like the music,the rituals or the architecture.
Or,to please theier friends and relatives....

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#109174 Jul 29, 2013
De Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You do know that America was created behind the belief in God right?
Ever heard of the Declaration of Independence?
Who is talking about teaching ALL religions?
America's laws are currently based on the 10 commandments.
You might want to check up on your history a bit. I understand the public schools have been taking God out of the schools for quite some time now, so it is understandable they don't want the young to understand the truth. Example....why did Hitler put Sodium Fluoride in the water for the public? And America says that fluoride is good for your teeth, yet if you read the back of your toothpaste, it clearly states to call poison control if you accidentally swallow what you normally put on the brush. I wonder why they put it in the water here in America???? I can tell you why Hitler put it in the water and why they are doing it here if you want to know.
Once you know the truth, the truth will set you free.
Peace.
TIJ
Most of the commandments are not American law. Likely because they are contradictory to freedom, and more specifically, religious freedom.

"You do know that America was created behind the belief in God right?"
First, what do you mean by "behind"? The majority of people have always believed in some god or another, so if believers started a country, does that mean it was "behind" a god? And if so, what does it matter? If you cannot show the relevancy of the claim, you are really showing nothing.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#109176 Jul 29, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop spinning things and answer the question.
Wouldn't it be a more effective use of your time to try and help those Atheists "Unbelievers" who are afflicted by drug and alcohol addiction,who havwe mental problems and a higher suicide rate than the average,as opposed to worrying about my grammar?
It is a simple question..
Several studies have shown this to be true,then,you tell me why you believe this is occuring in your community.
Why are Atheists attending religious services on a regular basis? What is religion providind them that Atheism is not?
Why is there a higher rate of mental issues,suicides and alcohol and drug addiction?
And please,don't tell me they go to church because they like the music,the rituals or the architecture.
Or,to please theier friends and relatives....
Well the study you posted answered some of these questions, but evidently your closed mind cannot process those answers. BTW, I was not focusing on your grammar. I focus on your hypocrisy, and denial.

I certainly have not claimed one should not try to help people with the problems cited, so why would you make such an accusation? Likely for a diversion from the substance as per usual with you.

I often try to help those addicted to alcohol or other substances. I was once an alcoholic and I have not had a drink in over fifteen years. My example helps teach. I needed no god to stop drinking. I used the power of my own will. I used the reasoning of the problems over-consumption can cause to determine why I should stop drinking altogether.

The study you cited told of why many atheists go to church. The main reason seems to be due to others in the family being members and thus they go due to family cohesiveness.

The suicide issue was with very elderly persons on the brink of death and likely in pain, as the study cited. I have shown reasons why this is logical, but ignored them. I guess I will have to repeat this until you can focus enough to respond to it.
Many might just reason that artificially prolonging life is a futile effort that is a burden to the surviving family members. Some of these reasons are financial. Some might not wish to endure the extreme pain of the body breaking down to death.

I fail to understand why a theist who believes in an afterlife tries so hard to prolong natural death if he or she has lived a long life. Seems to me the person might just be doubting that whole afterlife story.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#109177 Jul 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Conspiracy theories? Tin foil hat much?
Yeah, so the Declaration of Independence...let's see...I'm reading it now and all I can find is this mention of "nature's god". Upon looking up that term you know what I find? Discussions about Enlightenment philosophy and deism. You know what does not contain either of those ideas? Christianity.
You know what contains no Christianity? The Constitution of the United States of America.
You know what isn't based on the Ten Commandments? Virtually every law in the books.
Just to be clear, it is well documented that stealing and murder were laws in most lands long before the ten commandments were presented, so those laws were not "based" upon the commandments. They are based upon common moral reasoning.

To bad Moses could not even follow his own rules.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#109178 Jul 29, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>The problem that you have is the ability to understand is... God is real, and He saved me!
I know it sounds like a broken record, but when God said "Let there be...." It happened! I do not want you separated from our Creator, but remember... it is your choice, not His!
So you divert from addressing a single point of Q's post and diverted. Guess that is what it takes to stay in denial and keep the faith. Play that broken record over and over, and keep that mind shut tight.

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
You really need some class time,,,,
Amino acids can indeed generate in an oxygen rich environment, they can generate in a oxygen poor environment, they can generate in a methane rich or poor environ, They can generate in a UV saturated, electrically charged environment and can have phosphorus replaced with arsenic in structure....
We have no idea of the variations of the construct of what is called Life because we and all we observe evolved to fit the chemical makeup of the environments Here on earth and we Know that Life can exist from below freezing to above boiling temps, live happens in acid baths and alkaline conditions, at pressures a million times greater than you are able to handle and extreme low pressures.... Life can live and thrive in the water around the core of a nuclear reactor and in Every Case amino acids are at the base of their existence....
The problem that you have is the ability to understand the basic principles involved... the environment drives what life will be, you see life as requiring a specific environment to exist.. Earth today would be thriving with life even is there was no oxygen in the atmospheric gasses, it would be thriving if the environment was completely different as long as a few basic element were within limits... At least life as we are just starting to understand here on earth.... We have no idea what might constitute Life on other worlds....

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#109179 Jul 29, 2013
De Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, aliens are demons, and Satan did alter the DNA back before the days of Noah, there were giants and all kinds of freaky hybrids. Just go on youtube and look up giant skeletons.(the real media) That's why God destroyed the earth with the flood. You can find that in all kinds of ancient history from different parts of the world.
And of course you can find the answers in the Bible. Its whether you believe it or not, and you obviously don't believe it because you don't know the truth. You probably think we came from aliens like that show Ancient Aliens says. Stop watching the tv. Ever wonder why they call it TV PROGRAMMING??? You are being programmed. Hello? Don't get mad, I was asleep too not to long ago.
The schools only teach you what they want you to learn. The news only shows you what they want you to see. Start questioning all of it and you will find out the truth. It's like the matrix movie except you aren't hooked up to wires and fed through tubes and inside a shell.
Ever wonder why all those wealthy guys like Bill Gates drop out of College? Because they can't learn anything there. They program the kids to follow the rule established, not to think outside of the box.
Yes, if it is on Youtube, it must be real. Wait, but you can watch ancient aliens on Youtube. Wait, you can watch debunking ancient aliens on youtube. Wait, you can watch 9/11 conspiracy shows on youtube. Wait, you can watch debunking 9/11 conspiracy shows on youtube.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#109180 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well the study you posted answered some of these questions, but evidently your closed mind cannot process those answers. BTW, I was not focusing on your grammar. I focus on your hypocrisy, and denial.
I certainly have not claimed one should not try to help people with the problems cited, so why would you make such an accusation? Likely for a diversion from the substance as per usual with you.
I often try to help those addicted to alcohol or other substances. I was once an alcoholic and I have not had a drink in over fifteen years. My example helps teach. I needed no god to stop drinking. I used the power of my own will. I used the reasoning of the problems over-consumption can cause to determine why I should stop drinking altogether.
The study you cited told of why many atheists go to church. The main reason seems to be due to others in the family being members and thus they go due to family cohesiveness.
The suicide issue was with very elderly persons on the brink of death and likely in pain, as the study cited. I have shown reasons why this is logical, but ignored them. I guess I will have to repeat this until you can focus enough to respond to it.
Many might just reason that artificially prolonging life is a futile effort that is a burden to the surviving family members. Some of these reasons are financial. Some might not wish to endure the extreme pain of the body breaking down to death.
I fail to understand why a theist who believes in an afterlife tries so hard to prolong natural death if he or she has lived a long life. Seems to me the person might just be doubting that whole afterlife story.
RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder.
CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.
It is amazing how a study showing that Unbelievers have a higher rate of mental and addiction problems than the norm,will suddenly and conveniently remind Atheists that they used to have a drinking problem when they were believers ,or, as in the case of The Witch,he/she now confesses to have had Emotional problems before he converted to Atheism,,, Whoda thunk it
Another idiotic line used by the feebleminded"I became an Ahteist after I read the Bible"
HealthyMindAndSo ul

London, KY

#109181 Jul 29, 2013
uuummm wrote:
<quoted text>
"I have yet to hear anyone testify that by converting to Atheism they were able to combat their addictions or deal effectively with their mental or social problems."
Well, you just have not looked. There are lots of message boards and websites with the stories of people that have left religion and the benefits it has given them.
Unfortunately those sites are also full of people that have, or would like to come out as atheist and the rejection and pure hate they receive from people that are supposed to love and accept them. Yeah, that causes some emotional distress. But most have decided that the freedom they feel inside is worth it. They do have to work through losing their whole support system and that can be quite a challenge.
Here is one story. There are thousands of others out there:
http://www.thinkatheist.com/group/yourstory/f...
"And what's more, letting go of God helped me psychologically. I've dealt with depression most of my life, and I think a lot of it was due to guilt I felt from my religion. Getting rid of superstition helped me realize that I wasn't a bad person at all and I had nothing to feel guilty about. I could be a good person without God, and that realization was so freeing to me. Now I feel normal, and I couldn't ask for anything better than that."
What a load of crap.

Religion or no religion, guilt is usually a pretty good indicative that something isn't right.

And people that try and torture others via manipulation with it, are SICK (SICK, Sick) in the head.
HealthyMindAndSo ul

London, KY

#109182 Jul 29, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is because of what emanates from an atheists mind and what comes out of their mouth that they have a need for toilet paper
As wel as Jails and people in white coats with straight jackets!!
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#109183 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then why did you bother posting about it? Of course it is not realistic, and that was my entire point. So when religious believers claim heaven is a Utopia, I point out it is not realistic.
I wouldn't go that far...simply because realistically, anyone TRULY honest and decent, would have to say they "do NOT know".

ANYthing else would just be a Big, Old, LIE. LIE-LIE-LIE.

And as far as the darkrer side of that LIE would go (because the ligher side is harmelss)...
I cannot ever imagine LYING to a little child, or anyone who might think differently-- just for the reason earthly clinicalness.

EVER. As that would just be CRUELITY.

And that type of cruel rhetoric takes a low down dirt bag scum and/or a cold hearted psychopath.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#109184 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The bible claims on the day Jesus was executed, the dead rose from the graves all over Jerusalem. Funny, not a word of this event was ever recorded in that day or even decade. It was not claimed in Mark. It was claimed several decades latter. Clearly not very many people believed the claim until centuries latter after Constantine made it the official religion of the Roman empire.
I would expect if Jesus came back from the dead and proved the doubters wrong, their would be a huge movement to embrace his claims immediately. But the slow growth of Christianity shows the story is more likely pure myth.
Christianity ITSELF however is hardly anything "fictitious".
Sometimes right IS just right and WRONG IS just wrong.
Why deny it (and try to lie, twist and distort such, just to demean it, when ir's as real as any other organized group(s) found throughout history? Just because the tenets of it might not be to your suitabibilty?
Too bad for people like that huh?
In any case-Wonder if nations will ever allow archeological excavations under the Temple Mount?
----------
This article will stress two primary themes. The first is the basic continuity of the evolutionary trend. This begins with the Israelitic and Greek cultural backgrounds of Christianity, each of which laid certain decisive foundations of the movement. It then continues through the establishment and survival of the early church, the establishment of the Western church and its differentiation from the Eastern, the very gradual institutionalization of the Christian society of the High Middle Ages, the transition into the Renaissance, and then the Reformation and the developments that led to modern society. I will place special emphasis on the Protestant branch in what follows, because I believe the major turning point in the development of modern society was not, as has so often been held, the industrial revolution of the late eighteenth century but rather the developments of the seventeenth century, which centered in Holland and England and, in a special way, in France, which, although profoundly involved in the Reformation, ended up as a Catholic power.

The second primary theme is the analytical complexity of the explanation of what has occurred and what may be projected. This article does not assert that Christianity as a religious movement “produced” modern society; rather it holds that Christianity contributed a crucial complex of factors, which, because of its own internal trends of “transformative” development and because of the great diversity of nonreligious conditions at various stages of the process and in various areas, operated very differently at different points in the developmental process.

Incorporating and synthesizing elements from both of its two main cultural forebears, the Israelitic and the Greek, and developing a new religious pattern of its own, the Christian movement crystallized a new pattern of values not only for the salvation of human souls but also for the nature of the societies in which men should live on earth. This pattern, the conception of a “kingdom” or, in Augustine’s term, a “city” of men living according to the divine mandate on earth, became increasingly institutionalized through a long series of stages, which this article will attempt to sketch. Later it became the appropriate framework of societal values for the modern type of society...

"Christianity." International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences. 1968. Encyclopedia.com . 29 Jul. 2013 < http://www.encyclopedia.com >.
SistaNoneyaBiz

London, KY

#109185 Jul 29, 2013
Glad to be foreign wrote:
<quoted text>
Your theory on "christians" recovering more quickly from illness, or have a less stressful outlook on thinks in general is because they live in a state of fictional bliss and don't have a grasp of or refuse to accept life's realities. Another decscription is that Americans believe in this religion garbage because they are gullible and stupid.
DO you always impose hateful judgements on collective groups, so bigotedly and broad brushedly.

That type of ignorance is rather stupid itself.
GodIsAnEyball

London, KY

#109186 Jul 29, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
There is no god.
Ask that question of any decent, kind, loving person, with a decent, kind loving soul and an actual conscience (as in not cruel, self centered, self serving, evil, hateful OR sickly dependent on others in unhealthy ways) and they might tell you otherwise.
SisterNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#109187 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, I looked it up and it does have mention of it. I am man enough to admit a wrong.
Now if you truly believe the claims, then are you going to test the claims? Do you drink poison and heal the sick daily? If not, why?
Mark 16:14-18
English Standard Version (ESV)
The Great Commission
14 Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at table, and he rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15 And he said to them,“Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover.”
I always did have a strong favor for reading Corinthians-so many beautiful verses.

1 Corinthians 10:13

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
SisterNoneYaBiz

London, KY

#109188 Jul 29, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly the holyhatebible is a work of fiction.
and you are proof that hate in in the eye of the reader of.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#109189 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did you read a poll that showed "most" people believe Washington was a Christian? Not that it matters the percentage of what side believes what. My claim and point stands, their is a large dispute of what Washington believed in a religious sense, even to the point of him being a Christian or not.
Their is a debate of whether Hitler was a Christian also. Again, no matter the percentage of believers, the dispute is still a dispute.

The evidence for Hitler being a Christian is about the same for Washington being a Christian.
Both said some pretty contradictory things that can lead one to think they were not true believers of the story. Maybe they believed parts of the story. Maybe they believed some of the passages just had some good messages. So citing the reading the bible is not really conclusive in my opinion. I have been known to read the bible, would you call me a Christian?
I hope you know Christians are not the only people who pray. So citing this seems really strange.
I hope you know citing god does not make one a Christian. Most religions have gods.
If this is what you call conclusive evidence, I can see why you are a believer.
Do you even know what a deist is?

Oh, and I hope you know politicians will say a lot of things that are on the side of team-majority to win votes. So when a politician says something placating the believers, I would not put full trust his words are really what they believe. Washington was a politician. Hitler was politician.
No, I did not read polls. I read history books, and encyclopedias when younger. I did book reports and things like that in school. Remember those? Why do you people think polls prove anything?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#109190 Jul 29, 2013
HealthyMindAndSoul wrote:
<quoted text>
As wel as Jails and people in white coats with straight jackets!!
Except that there are far more Christians in jails and mental institutions than there are atheists. Oops?

Location hidden

#109191 Jul 29, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So "widely accepted" proves what? Islam is widely accepted, Hinduism is widely accepted. Need I continue?
Being widely accepted by people who are mostly ignorant of many of the things Washington said about religion certainly does not impress me.

Did you miss my post about Providence? Did you not comprehend my post about providence? I do not agree with you at all. If you think I agreed with you, go back and read my post again more carefully and thoughtfully.
Ignorant? Lets see you write some history books. Must anyone that disagrees with you be ignorant?

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#109192 Jul 29, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
RESULTS: Religiously unaffiliated subjects had significantly more lifetime suicide attempts and more first-degree relatives who committed suicide than subjects who endorsed a religious affiliation. Unaffiliated subjects were younger, less often married, less often had children, and had less contact with family members. Furthermore, subjects with no religious affiliation perceived fewer reasons for living, particularly fewer moral objections to suicide. In terms of clinical characteristics, religiously unaffiliated subjects had more lifetime impulsivity, aggression, and past substance use disorder.
CONCLUSIONS: Religious affiliation is associated with less suicidal behavior in depressed inpatients. After other factors were controlled, it was found that greater moral objections to suicide and lower aggression level in religiously affiliated subjects may function as protective factors against suicide attempts. Further study about the influence of religious affiliation on aggressive behavior and how moral objections can reduce the probability of acting on suicidal thoughts may offer new therapeutic strategies in suicide prevention.
It is amazing how a study showing that Unbelievers have a higher rate of mental and addiction problems than the norm,will suddenly and conveniently remind Atheists that they used to have a drinking problem when they were believers ,or, as in the case of The Witch,he/she now confesses to have had Emotional problems before he converted to Atheism,,, Whoda thunk it
Another idiotic line used by the feebleminded"I became an Ahteist after I read the Bible"
Of course it might be that there are more crazy people who find that religion is a workable crutch than sane atheists who don't need it...

Location hidden

#109193 Jul 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>What's the difference? A bunch of people coming back from the dead would be HUGE NEWS. It would have lasting repercussions in history. The absence of even the scantest evidence strongly suggests it is a fiction.
In the resurrection we will not be left to walk the earth. That's the difference.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 2 hr Breezy _Soul 10,517
Word Association (Feb '09) 2 hr Breezy _Soul 11,692
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 22,806
pipeline work 4 hr crace mcafee 2
Anyone know pay rate for cns at highlands assis... 7 hr Wondering 2
Cnas pay rate at highlands assistant living 7 hr Wondering 1
KY Senator Vows to End Somerset Gas Sales 7 hr you know who 54
Somerset Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web