Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 5,129)

Showing posts 102,561 - 102,580 of127,983
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"But satan has caused confusion"...
Yes, yes he has!
"God is a God of order, and so He would want His church to have the same order."
You answered with truth here...
Since Christ's birth to Joseph Smith... 1800 years!
You are saying... God screwed up for 1800 years!
Good luck with that!
... Did God really say....?
Their are over 38,000 different sects of Christianity. Is this what you call order? You do not even think of Catholics as Christians. The history of Christian disputes shows a lot of disorder. It is a testimony to the lack of a holy ghost guiding. It is a testimony to the bible not having consistency.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Oh! I'm sorry... didn't know I was forcing anything on you, as you have the right, not to read a word I post!
Good day!
You use force to keep gay marriage forbidden. These are your superstitious beliefs being forced upon others.
You have the right to not marry your own sex, but that is not good enough for you. You insist others marry as you do.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, that is not accurate. Most religions are actually not spread through indoctrination, look at the ancient ones, particularly those of Greece, Rome, Egypt, Maya, and Inca. They were essentially political parties of those empires for those times, however, they were religions as well. People chose which "god" to follow based entirely on what they agreed with, and the priests of the gods with the most followers had more political power in choosing leaders, dictating policy, and even being the trial judges, depending on the culture in question. They did not use, nor need, indoctrination because it was a very primitive form of Democracy, so to have your voice heard, you had to choose a god in that religion to support.
Most people are in the political party of their parents.
Religion has been tied to politics for as long as religion has been on earth. It is tied to politics in America today.
Reading the bible it is clear to me the so called, prophets, were nothing but politicians using the claim of being able to speak to the gods as a political tool to have authority.

Humans chose based upon what they have been taught.'Indoctrination' is just a description of the teaching.
Political leanings are often of indoctrination.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Help for you wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you go on line to jw.org and at the top of the page click on publications then scroll down to the book "What Does The Bible REALLY Teach?". Then scroll down to chapter 11 "Why does God Allow Suffering?"If you have MP3 you can listen to it being read. Please do that before you make any blatant statements based on your personal opinion.
The fact you could not refute my statement tells me a lot.
I am sure your propaganda is great for indoctrinations.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No! If the EMT's are there... I don't stop!
Whoosh. I bet you hear that sound a lot don't you?
What you do to the English language, not to mention logic, in your average post is akin to a car wreck. And since you flood the thread frequently it's like a multi-car pile up. It's hard for most of us to avoid glancing.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

No help for you wrote:
<quoted text>
By whose authority?
Where you put your name is not supposed to be a heading for your post. Do you know what names are used for in society? When on topix with a smart phone, I cannot see location, so I only know this is the same person as "help for you" because I am on my home PC and can see the location.
Using a name shows you stand by your statements. If you cannot even stand by a single name, you will not hold much authority.

Being consistent helps with authority. Authority is earned. Your god demands authority, and does not earn it. He does not even show himself. He hides the way you refuse to show a consistent name.
He supposedly allows people to suffer unimaginable torture, yet supposedly has the power to help, yet refuses.
Now you wish to use this god to help this guy reduce his suffering? Talk about lacking consistency. By your reasoning, the man should suffer so he will know god better. By your reasoning, the man suffered abuse due to gods divine plan. Sickening.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The fact you could not refute my statement tells me a lot.
I am sure your propaganda is great for indoctrinations.
Yeah, the JW's preferred prey are those in a vulnerable state of mind. I hadn't noticed any spam from "Known Fact" on here for a while until "Shunned" showed up and then boom! We're knee deep in watchtowers.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You never heard of the Eddie's Mississippi leg hound (it's best if you just let him finish Clark)? That could easily be argued as consent by the same twisted minds that want to participate in it.
And no, I do not want public schools teaching children that homosexuality is ok. There is no reason to even touch on the subject to say whether it is ok or not. Leave it to the parents.
We showed you the reason, but you keep ignoring it. It is due to the bullying. Care to address it now or are you going to just keep your head in the sand and pretend you are not part of the problem?

Now you cite comedy shows as evidence?
so true

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Good morning to all..
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

&#8213; Maya Angelou

You know over time, I have found that people dwell on the things you say and do , and most of the time try to use them against you. They often do forget any good you do for them. What is wrong with this world????
Oh well that is my fuse for today , you all have a good one..
uuummm

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I did use the word "Tard"!
The shame would not be on me, as Being a Tard purposely is being ignorant/stupid! That is what it means!
Bible study does go on in our schools, and the proposed rules is what the bill was for!
The Bible has a great history in the US's founding, and growth, and the Lack of it... is our downfall!
Believing otherwise, and denying the evidence of it...
is being a Tard!
You are so offensive and I am not sure you can even understand why. Then again, maybe you just don't care. I can never imagine your Christ using that term.

You see, you don't offend me by calling me that term. I know you are ignorant and refuse to learn. I have read some of your postings over this long thread. Your opinion of me matters not.

But for others out there - using the term 'tard' is offensive. Not to the person you are calling the name but to those (and their families) that have true problems that they are born with. It is like a racial slur or any other offensive name. Please be kind and don't make fun of those unable to take up for themselves. That is what Jesus, or any sensible person that cared for others, would do.

Yes, Bible study goes on. Prayer goes on. And that is fine. I believe students have every right to study their Bibles and pray IF they or their parents so choose. However, the school has no right to lead them in one direction or the other.

We all know what this is about and have discussed it to death. They were not really fighting for a class to learn about the Bible they were fighting for basically a Sunday School class in school. The school has no business telling my child which religion to choose or that the Bible is true or the word of god. That is up to the parent.

Thankfully, the Chuck Norris Sunday School class did not get off the ground here like it did in some states.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Those things have NOT happened yet!
"the heavens will be rolled up as a scroll"
This should tell you....
You will NOT be flying to another Planet to populate it...
Don't you think?
Another thing...
Read Revelation... NOWHERE does it say you'll fly off to another plane... NONE of the Bible says that! Only Joseph Smith...
The Conman!
Read the Bible man... throw away the BOM!
You will be glad you did!
Funny, his religion doesn't sound any more crazy than your religion. I mean "heavens roll up" .... seriously? How do you expect them to roll up like a scroll?

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Any time I have looked it up, I find that there is no conclusive evidence. That's what science says. If there are a few scientists that say one way, and others that say another, then it should not be taught, because they don't know. Either way they taught it would be leaning towards a bias.
I know enough about nature to know that whether we can agree on a creator or not, procreation cannot take place with same gender sexual intercourse. The result is the same as when Kelly Bundy accused her little brother of planning a family with his pillow.
The overwhelming majority of scientists in the relating fields agree it is innate. Just as with evolution, we do not go with the few stray religious fundamentalists who disagree.
Homosexual behavior harms no one anymore so than heterosexual behavior. So condemning it to the point of comparing it to bestiality is causing kids to bully others.
Just because your superstition calls it a sin is not authority for schools to side with you. You need to show other logical reasons it is bad or you got nothing in the eyes of secular Goverment.

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

uuummm wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so offensive and I am not sure you can even understand why. Then again, maybe you just don't care. I can never imagine your Christ using that term.
You see, you don't offend me by calling me that term. I know you are ignorant and refuse to learn. I have read some of your postings over this long thread. Your opinion of me matters not.
But for others out there - using the term 'tard' is offensive. Not to the person you are calling the name but to those (and their families) that have true problems that they are born with. It is like a racial slur or any other offensive name. Please be kind and don't make fun of those unable to take up for themselves. That is what Jesus, or any sensible person that cared for others, would do.
I've tried to explain this to him. I have a friend who words with the mentally disabled and, as you said, such terms as "tard" are terribly hurtful.
He doesn't care. He thinks he made up a word and he is proud of it.
Disgusting.

“I'll think about it.”

Level 4

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>We all do have a desire to worship...
Just some (as I did) worship the wrong things!
Your opinion of the Creator would change, If you got to know
Him personally!
It's amazing how you simply ignore what is written and then answer the question YOU THINK was asked.

I didn't say just "worship."
I said, "Tell me what would change if humankind had been created with a BUILT-IN DESIRE TO WORSHIP YAHWEH?"

Yahweh is the name of your "god" in case you didn't know.

I don't have an opinion of your mythical "creator" (cause you know, he's a myth, duh).
But I do have an opinion of your intentional stupidity.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The overwhelming majority of scientists in the relating fields agree it is innate. Just as with evolution, we do not go with the few stray religious fundamentalists who disagree.
Homosexual behavior harms no one anymore so than heterosexual behavior. So condemning it to the point of comparing it to bestiality is causing kids to bully others.
Just because your superstition calls it a sin is not authority for schools to side with you. You need to show other logical reasons it is bad or you got nothing in the eyes of secular Goverment.
He said that the gay couple was brought into a classroom, so I thought he was talking about public school and it was to address bullying. Then he says it was a college course (and doesn't name the course title), so it wasn't a k-12 school and all who were present were adults.
He said that a man wanted to marry a goat according to a radio news report that he flipped past. A web search reveals it was a spoof - but he thinks it still validates his "slippery slope" idea. So much for the integrity of his "priesthood."

I can just hear the good little LDS kids playing tag on the playground.
"My daddy" <punch> "says that you are" <punch> "Hold him!" "an abomination" <punch> <kick> "in the eyes of God" <kick>

Aww.. aren't they just sooo cute?
uuummm

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried to get through to him about that months ago. He's got no clue and doesn't want one.
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I've tried to explain this to him. I have a friend who words with the mentally disabled and, as you said, such terms as "tard" are terribly hurtful.
He doesn't care. He thinks he made up a word and he is proud of it.
Disgusting.
I think I first commented on this thread the day it started. I still check in now and again and YAA is quite the character.

He has been on here for quite a while under one name or another. I usually just ignore him but sometimes I actually feel sorry for him. I really can't figure out if he is a sincere person who has found something that (he thinks at least) has changed his life or if he is possibly just the most tenacious troll in the internet!

He refuses to admit he is wrong about anything. Even something minor that any normal person would just say, "My bad" about and move on. He makes himself and other Christians look like they either can't or, like you say, just won't learn anything!

I wonder if he is any relation to Paula Deen?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

uuummm wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think I first commented on this thread the day it started. I still check in now and again and YAA is quite the character.
He has been on here for quite a while under one name or another. I usually just ignore him but sometimes I actually feel sorry for him. I really can't figure out if he is a sincere person who has found something that (he thinks at least) has changed his life or if he is possibly just the most tenacious troll in the internet!
He refuses to admit he is wrong about anything. Even something minor that any normal person would just say, "My bad" about and move on. He makes himself and other Christians look like they either can't or, like you say, just won't learn anything!
I wonder if he is any relation to Paula Deen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

uuummm wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
He makes himself and other Christians look like they either can't or, like you say, just won't learn anything!
Oh, no... you give him way more credit for that than he's due. The rest of them seem more than capable of 'won't learn anything' with or without anybody else's help.
uuummm

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
I...I...I,I,I...don't know...my life will never be the same...and not in a good way...

I had to see if this was real...and it is...

It was on Oprah's Next Chapter show

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2013

so true wrote:
Good morning to all..
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
&#8213; Maya Angelou
You know over time, I have found that people dwell on the things you say and do , and most of the time try to use them against you. They often do forget any good you do for them. What is wrong with this world????
Oh well that is my fuse for today , you all have a good one..
Thanks for the contradictory statement.
What you say and do for others makes them feel either good or bad. This is what they remember, so your actions do have consequences.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 102,561 - 102,580 of127,983
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Somerset Forum right now

Search the Somerset Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Baskin Robbins 3 hr Angela 1
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 3 hr Dickens1 19,826
Americans consider Obama worst Pres. ever 4 hr wormwood 40
looking for size zero jeans 7 hr tommyboy 11
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 15 hr Hatti_Hollerand 10,244
"BUGG" breed of dogs for sale!!! Boston Terrier... (Jun '09) 23 hr pitbullie 17
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) Fri LMS 26,171
•••
•••