Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 147290 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#106732 Jun 11, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<
<quoted text>you obviously don't know the definition of dogma. it's synonym is philosophy.
http://etymonline.com/index.php...
<quoted text>and until that time a scientist; whether esoteric/exoteric, or hard/soft scientist, believes what he/she knows is true. it's a human condition when one doesn't know better.
<quoted text>i never mentioned a god. i don't believe in a personal deity. nature doesn't play favorites
Science always stays open to new information and can change, thus what is believed is not immovable. Thus it never rests upon its own dogma.

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The beauty of science is, it never rests on dogma.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#106733 Jun 11, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>and until that time a scientist; whether esoteric/exoteric, or hard/soft scientist, believes what he/she knows is true. it's a human condition when one doesn't know better.
s
Knows or believes? Religion claims to know what cannot be known.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#106734 Jun 11, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<.
<quoted text>i never mentioned a god. i don't believe in a personal deity. nature doesn't play favorites
Great, but I will point out the differences of religion and what I believe.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#106735 Jun 11, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>i i'm dissing people who believe that science is only science when there is absolutes. there are no absolutes; otherwise people stop questioning and believe they know it all.
Religion is all about absolutes. I think they are few, but I cannot say their is absolutely no absolutes.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#106736 Jun 11, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Since opinions are like, well you know...I'm sure I certainly couldn't agree all the time either.
The physics thing was in response to your statement on peoples hair "raising" due to instinctive evolutionary fur bearing stuff.
I challenged that theory (only in part because yes, I agree, that type of instinctive reaction is a valid theory a ttimes), but not Always the case, as based on other elements pertaining to PHYSICS.
All movement involves physics.
The hair standing up might not be an evolutionary hand me down, but if it is not, the coincidences are extraordinary.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#106737 Jun 11, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
What do you think a homeless street person would say to that, should you ask them, while they're standing in the daily soup kitchen line, as provided by one of those "terrible, awful buildings, filled with all those terrible, awful people" that contribute to such humanities, EVERY day, through out the USA?
I think there's another side to stuff like that-as there often is to LOTS of things...and then somewhere in between, usually resides the speck of actual TRUTH.
I generally agree, but religion has been known to help the poor in order to recruit new members to the team.
I think the religious are attempting to be good and often times, selfless, but the religion tends to have various motives, many times, self-serving.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#106738 Jun 11, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
What do you think a homeless street person would say to that, should you ask them, while they're standing in the daily soup kitchen line, as provided by one of those "terrible, awful buildings, filled with all those terrible, awful people" that contribute to such humanities, EVERY day, through out the USA?
I think there's another side to stuff like that-as there often is to LOTS of things...and then somewhere in between, usually resides the speck of actual TRUTH.
Wow I find myself somewhat agreeung with this post, but it could possibly be gas and will pass. lol
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#106739 Jun 11, 2013
Science is constantly growing and improving because knowledge is constantly growing and improving.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#106740 Jun 11, 2013
stuck in a lodi wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow I find myself somewhat agreeung with this post, but it could possibly be gas and will pass. lol
Before you get all teary eyed about the good religion does, chew on a Rolaid and consider the point that no one does anything except for selfish reasons.
Read Mark Twain's "What is Man?"
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#106741 Jun 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you get all teary eyed about the good religion does, chew on a Rolaid and consider the point that no one does anything except for selfish reasons.
On the most part, I would agree that most church/religions have an ulterior motive when doing such works. But I cannot with 100% certainty say they all do. That's why I agreed *somewhat* with that statement.
stuck in a lodi

Elkhorn City, KY

#106742 Jun 11, 2013
ProvenScience wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Just because I *somewhat agree* doesn't give you a thumbs ^, I still think your mind is like concrete...well mixed up and permanently set.
fight it

La Fayette, KY

#106743 Jun 12, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree this isn't right. When was this? Was it a time when the country was still employing segregation? I know it isn't doctrinal.
I misunderstood the woman asked to cover up, and I can't find the original post now. What happened again?
every time i read yout posts its in joe dirt's voice...

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#106744 Jun 12, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
What seems like pure altruism usually has some ulterior motives, even if the individual has no conscious thought of it. We do good deeds in part due to the instinct that was developed due to these ulterior motives.
If we do good deeds, the mind knows this often leads to reciprocation. Of course ever act does not receive reward, but it increases the chances and thus increases our chances of survival due to having help from the team.

A religion that helps others is likely to get help themselves when needed.
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#106745 Jun 12, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No no, we revere the New Testament and Old as scripture. They were not apostate.
We do not believe we will "fly off to Kolob". The book of Abraham tells us it is the planet closest to His throne. I personally don't see the relevance of that info.
I do believe strongly in Christ. I always have. I also do not censor Him. If He chooses to give us more information and doctrine, I test it with then Holy Ghost and then fully accept it once confirmed.
Don't you think further revelation is necessary to eliminate the questions and different interpretations? To conclude there is only one correct doctrine, not thousands that take different meanings from the same book? I am certain this confusion was not God's way.
My Bible does not have "The book of Abraham"!
"Don't you think further revelation is necessary", NO!
Since Christ saved me, without knowing a thing about Mormonism,
I'd say that all this "Confusion" is from the evil one!
To Eve; Did God really say....?
Yes, yes He did!
Another Gospel of Christ? Keep it if you want, but I tell you
the Truth... You don't need anything other than Christ!
God is a Spirit, He don't live on a planet!
THINK about it!
Otherwise... SCRIPTURE means nothing!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#106746 Jun 12, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet ... your bible did not help cure Polio. That's not much of a "cure for ignorance."
Type this in your search engine, and read something that will squelch your ignorance!
"miracle stories Christian"
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#106747 Jun 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't help all that much during one of the most Biblically ran periods in human history either... The Dark Ages was a period where biblical control of Europe was absolute... A period where filth and ignorance lead to the deaths of 1 out of 4 people.... While during the same period those Heathens in China and the far east thrived, studied the sciences, cured diseases, mapped the stars.....
Do you know why it was called the dark ages?
The word of God was only dispelled by the clergy, they held the truth of God's word from the lay person!
It was IN God's word for cleanliness, and it was in God's word they found the cure for the spreading of the plague!
Thank God for the reformation!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#106748 Jun 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
All Religions are a form of mind control... Even the New Religions such as AGW and the churches of the environment....
LOL...
Christ's church is not mind control!
It's repairing the Heart of man, and from that change comes
righteousness!
To KNOW right from wrong, and Wanting only to do right!

Level 1

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#106749 Jun 12, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>What seems like pure altruism usually has some ulterior motives, even if the individual has no conscious thought of it. We do good deeds in part due to the instinct that was developed due to these ulterior motives.
If we do good deeds, the mind knows this often leads to reciprocation. Of course ever act does not receive reward, but it increases the chances and thus increases our chances of survival due to having help from the team.
A religion that helps others is likely to get help themselves when needed.
Have you perchance studied Plato's Republic? The end of Book 1 and the beginning of Book 2 examines this concept of Justice/Injustice.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#106750 Jun 12, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know why it was called the dark ages?
The word of God was only dispelled by the clergy, they held the truth of God's word from the lay person!
It was IN God's word for cleanliness, and it was in God's word they found the cure for the spreading of the plague!
You're kidding right? I know you're not, but oh how I wish you were. When I hear comments like these, I start to lose hope for humanity again.

Level 1

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#106751 Jun 12, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know why it was called the dark ages?
It was called the Dark Ages because of the loss of a great deal of knowledge that had been collected up to that point. Due to the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, many libraries were torched along with the cites by the barbarian hordes. However, monks saved all they could and took it to various monasteries. Be thankful for the Renaissance.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dancing with dogs 8 min puppylove 27
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 44 min _Zoey_ 12,346
Best vet for dogs ? 1 hr puppylove 2
Absent Moderators 2 hr John Doe anyone k... 12
free somerset clinic 4 hr captain syphilis 2
corey halberg 9 hr coreys retard 3
3 word comment - (Oct '09) 9 hr Red_Forman 6,371
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages