Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,233

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102409 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't assume I know nothing. Your assumptions about my lack of knowledge in science is an excuse to not answer the question apparently.
I am not assuming, I am going by what you post, which you post a clear lack of scientific knowledge.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102410 May 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well then just what is your stance? I assumed it was your stance because you argue against the points for gay marriage and your church is against gay marriage.

I hear the argument from the religious all the time that marriage is the path to monogamy. It is one of the few points I have an agreement with them on. Strange how we disagree on this.

One of my main gripes about religion is, they constantly push for laws based upon religious doctrine that has no basis of logic or other reasons. You have yet to show any reasons homosexuals should be denied the privilege of marriage. But it is no secret your church poured money into a campaign to not allow gay marriage (prop 8).

I like to discuss religion because it is an interesting topic, but what really drives a passion in me to talk about religion is when people try to make law based upon these superstitious beliefs.

So please keep this in mind as you wonder why I keep asking questions about your religion.
I really think most atheists would give you religious people less of a hassle if the religious stopped using the superstitious doctrine as a basis to make law.
I will gladly answer your question once you have answered mine.

“I Am No One Else”

Level 7

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102411 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just pick one
Since others gave adequate answers to some of your questions from that post, meh.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102412 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This might have been a relevant comment if I would have been raised in the LDS Church. I am a convert.
So you are telling me you were not raised as a Christian? Jumping to a different denomination is not a big leap compared to jumping from Islam to Christianity.
If your parents raised you Christian, you are a still in the basic belief system of your parents.
Of course you could be in the twenty percent bracket of those who make dramatic shifts in beliefs.
But really, if you were raised to believe in the god of Abraham, it is not as large of a leap as it would be for a Hindu to convert to Christianity, Islam or Judaism.
The process of convincing a child a god is real is not a hard one to accomplish. Once this is ingrained in the child, it takes quite a lot to convince them a god may not exist at all.
Their is a very high statistical pattern of what one believes. If you were raised in the middle east, of course the chances of you believing in Mohammed is extremely high. If you were born in India, the chances for you to believe in the Hindu gods is extremely high.
Now are you going to honestly address these stats or not? You are not the only subject here.
When you speak of hearing this holy ghost, all I can think of is the statistics here.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102413 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I will gladly answer your question once you have answered mine.
Here is the post in question, and I cannot find a question in it.

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I disagree with is that marriage helps someone stay monogamous. I'm not ignoring your point, I just disagree with it.
Also, I never said to deny gays the same rights. Please don't assume that is my stance.
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102414 May 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry if I am not on point with writing myth.
S'okay, this is America. perfection NOT required to live in it.:-).
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102415 May 4, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I will compare it because it shows to be no different. Now if you can show that I am wrong, go for it, but just claiming I am wrong is pointless in a debate.
Why would I want to waste time at nonsense like that?

Are you telling me my posts are not obvious enough in the fact that I find that level of Mental_ity, imbecilic? Geez ...do ya need I to drawer you a comic-box, with a three word sentence bubble?

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102416 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The scriptures show that if the masses were to all attempt to live righteously, and pray to end suffering, He would grant it. Show me one country that is united in the worship of Him, and I'll show you a country without suffering.
Are you telling me that suffering is based upon the country and some idea that they must all worship the same or correct deity? Do no Mormons suffer?

If your god is withholding help from good people due to the actions of others, he is not a just god.
Again, I do not forgo my logic of justice for anyone or any god. You continue to fail to supply a logical or just reason god would withhold help.
I cannot control what others worship, so why would a god? Why would he punish or withhold help for these reasons? Sorry, but the logic meter is going crazy again.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102417 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The scriptures show that if the masses were to all attempt to live righteously, and pray to end suffering, He would grant it. Show me one country that is united in the worship of Him, and I'll show you a country without suffering.
Are you claiming the masses are not praying to end the suffering? If not, then just what kind of piddly crap are you praying for? Most humans on this planet believe in a god and pray.
I do not withhold help for someone due to some other person not being a good person. Any moral and just person should not withhold help for such reasons. Now why would you have such lowered standards for a god?

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102418 May 4, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would I want to waste time at nonsense like that?
Are you telling me my posts are not obvious enough in the fact that I find that level of Mental_ity, imbecilic? Geez ...do ya need I to drawer you a comic-box, with a three word sentence bubble?
Yes.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102419 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are blaming God for a child being hungry? What about the child's family? They have no responsibility to feed the child?
If the parent has the power to feed the child and he refuses, then yes, of course I would blame that parent. Yet your god supposedly has such powers, and yet does not feed the helpless child. For some strange reason you let god off the hook and put full blame on the parent, regardless if that parent has the food available to feed the child or not.

Again, all I see is your constant double standard for a god.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102420 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just telling you what I believe.
I don't have a disdain for science, but there are areas that science cannot answer.
My belief that a creator created us is no less plausible, and has no less proof than the belief that we all came to be from nothing.
Who said I believe we came from nothing? I do not claim to know how it all came to be, but you do. You claim to know but cannot show an ounce of evidence for the large claim. This is the problem. You are making claims you cannot back up. The claim doesn't have sound logic, as I keep showing. Were did the creator come from, nothing?

You seem to think the belief or none belief in god is based upon some need to know where or how all of the universe came to be. Well if you claim god did it, then show evidence of this claim. If you do not have it, then all you have is a claim. A claim that is no more valid than claiming a tea pot created the universe. It is a claim of magic, not science.

I do not base my life or moral reasoning upon the idea of how the universe came to be.

The bible makes the same sort of claims of how the universe was created, and some want this taught in schools. Some are so arrogant as to want it taught in science class. This shows some have no idea what science even means.
The only class a bible should be discussed in is a mythology class.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102421 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just telling you what I believe.
I don't have a disdain for science, but there are areas that science cannot answer.
My belief that a creator created us is no less plausible, and has no less proof than the belief that we all came to be from nothing.
Definition of DISDAIN
: a feeling of contempt for someone or something regarded as unworthy or inferior : scorn

You have demonstrated such an attitude towards science.

“There is no god.”

Level 2

Since: Jan 12

USA

#102422 May 4, 2013
Yes, myth ology, the same place all gods end up.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102423 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe that we all came to exist from nothing. I look at the complexities in everything and cannot believe this happened by chance, or from nothing.
Who says they came from nothing? When you say "chance" do you consider gravity pulling rocks together over many millions of years to form a planet, "chance"?

Again, if you base the idea of god upon what you cannot know about the earth, life or the universe, I can understand why you must believe in a god. It is called, god of the gaps. You are inserting a god into a gap of knowledge.

Ancient men did not have knowledge of how rain came to be, so they formed a concept of a god making rain. Some called this god, Zeus.

“There is no god.”

Level 2

Since: Jan 12

USA

#102424 May 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not assuming, I am going by what you post, which you post a clear lack of scientific knowledge.
7 days is all a religie cares to understand.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102425 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The New Testament tells us why the Jews don't believe. They were so stuck in their traditions and their understanding of the scriptures that they missed Him.
They were looking for someone to be a king and free them from bondage. They assumed this meant physically and referred to Romans. But Jesus freed us from the bondage of sin by the atonement which allows us to repent and be forgiven for sins. And His kingdom is in Heaven and not on earth. He came and stirred the pot on their deep rooted traditions and made them mad because it was different from the Law of Moses.
Live sacrifice was only instituted in similitude to God's sacrifice of His Son but they missed this correlation and did not accept God's sacrifice.
Again, I suppose the Jews expected as much due to the tradition of King David and Moses doing the same. This is why Jesus supposedly had to have ties of blood relation to King David. As if the blood line held some magical power. As if a god had to impregnate someone that was a descendant of king David. Or was it Joseph that was the descendant? Well the new testament claims they both were, in order to cover that base.

See why this all sounds like a comic book to us?

Maybe if the prophesy was a bit less vague, the Jews would accept your claims. Maybe the holy ghost will not tell them until after they already believe the story?

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102426 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, logic shows that without prayer and revelation from God, the mass will not stay on the same page and have the same desires, so their own desires will coerce them to want different things and then that mass will no longer be united. Then you end up with the type of society we know today.
Well of course majority of humans pray, so it seems the weak link is this revelation from god. So they are on a different page.
This is evidence no real revelations are coming from a god. The only link that shows agreement is the one about how you were raised.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102427 May 4, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>Have to disagree a little either way. Might as well allow them to marry. It would only be civil anyway. They would never be joined as one flesh by God. It would be a three ring circus to have a big Church wedding and married by a preacher as many gays want the right to. God would never be present at this abominable ceremony. People do have the right to live in sin. That is their choice. That in no way makes it right. It is merely fulfilling the lust of the flesh.
Well I suppose I should be happy you at least do not force your superstition upon others.
But it sure does seem like you condemn someone harshly even though homosexuality harms no one.
And if you could only show a god was present at any ceremony, your statement would should a have a tad bit of validity.
As far as I am concerned, every ceremony at a church is a three ring circus.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

of the puppet master

#102428 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did the amino acids come from? What created them?
And how did amino acid turn in to everything we see from a solar system that operates perfectly, to planets, to humans?
A solar system that operates perfectly? So when a natural disaster occurs that is due to how the solar system works, that is perfection in your eyes? Or is the solar system just good enough for us humans to exist for now? Of course we know the universe has been around for more than thirteen billion years longer than have, but this is perfection in your eyes?
Their is a good chance an asteroid could wipe us out any day, yet this is perfection?
Out of a hundred billion solar systems in this galaxy alone, the fact one is conducive to life does not seem to be an out of the ordinary chance to me.
Out of the infinite number of chemical reactions in the universe for billions of years, it does not seem like some unbelievable chance that life arose from this process.

I get it, for someone who disdains science to have a hard time fathoming that this came about without some magic seems likely.
The ancients had virtually no understanding of science so they formed ideas of magical gods to explain the processes of nature around them. You still follow the concepts they formed.
You think if we do not accept these ideas, even though not a single one has a scrap of evidence, we are being unreasonable?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
die cast cars dealer 6 hr die cast hobby 1
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 9 hr Breezy _Soul 10,517
Word Association (Feb '09) 9 hr Breezy _Soul 11,692
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 10 hr Hatti_Hollerand 22,806
pipeline work 10 hr crace mcafee 2
Anyone know pay rate for cns at highlands assis... 13 hr Wondering 2
Cnas pay rate at highlands assistant living 13 hr Wondering 1
KY Senator Vows to End Somerset Gas Sales 13 hr you know who 54
Somerset Dating
Find my Match