Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,885

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102183 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response is a RED HERRING,,,look up it's meaning.
You and many others say that you want evidence of God's existence,
and God has provided you a way by which you can attain that evidence, if you really want to know him
When you really want something,you make every effort possible to get it....
You need ask yourselves,When have you ever made an honest effort to seek God?
Your response is,in no way,relevant to whai I posted.
I never said I wanted eviidence of Zeus Existence,I never said I wanted evidence of Allah Or Mohammed.
Since I did not ask,nor am I interested in,therefore there is no need for me to DILIGENTLY seek an answer
It is you hypocritical Atheists,who say,that you want evidence,and when told how that evidence can be attained,refuse to do so
In other words,you will not accept any answer,unless it is the one you want.
That is why you are hypocrites and illogical
You should look up red herring yourself.

If I'm not mistaken, the other poster was basically asking how much effort you put into investigating the existence of other gods besides the one you choose to believe in. That is not a red herring since it directly addresses the question at hand: does god exist and how do you know it.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102184 May 3, 2013
Sunny Day wrote:
<quoted text>Take the challenge! Beg the non existing God to take back the breath he breathed into your body. I'm being very rational. It is just time for you people to realize what thin ice you are standing on. That's the only defense you people have is our offense. I have never prayed for anyone to die. That is your words not mine. I just simply said if you people don't want anything to do with God then tell Him to take His breath of life back. See how long you make it. You cannot have it both ways. You're either thankful for life or not. God gives life. I'm not saying anything because of those who disagree with me, I'm telling you that you cannot live without God. Life and death are in His hands. Neither is it attitude, it is fact. You people don't like strong defenders of the Faith do you? You want a weak and meek natured person to spit on. You want a door mat to wipe your nasty feet on. It makes it easier to spew your venom and feel all superior in your ignorance.. I wear snake guards at all times and carry anti-venom in my pocket. You love those people that you can call "Bible thumpers" and "fundies" and they crumble when you speak. Right? FYI, God will judge me harsher if I fail to stand against the likes of these people.
That is the dumbest thing I've read all week.

You just asked a bunch of atheists to ask God to do something. It's a funny notion, actually. The idea that we would assume God gave us "breath of life" in the first place, then stopped believing in him, then, at your behest, suddenly we accept him again and ask him to kill us.

The funniest part of this is that you actually think this is a zinger. lol

"Hey thing I don't believe in, can you come over here and do something that isn't real?"
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102185 May 3, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
"To do what we want..."
You are an idiot.
Hahaha...
No, no I am not!
This whole thing is choices!
Makes you wonder...
Why would one think it's ok to kill a baby, but
not kill people in a marathon?
If you have a glass of water with 1% dog poop in it...
It's still BAD for you!
Yet people will drink it up to 99%
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102186 May 3, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
You know what... this is just stupid. Completely stupid. I think it's time to clarify positions here. So, please, tell me which of these matches you:
1. Believes there is sufficient evidence to prove God's existence.
2. Does not believe that there is (or does not know if there is) sufficient evidence to prove God's existence, but has absolute faith in God's existence regardless.
3. Does not believe that there is (or does not know if there is) sufficient evidence to prove God's existence.
4. Believes that there is sufficient evidence to disprove God's existence.
These are all encompassing, so there is no need for discussion yet. Please, just give a number.
I am 3.
(1) The Heavens declare God's Glory!
Irreducible complexity of the smallest cell, the information in DNA, You name it!
Then God spoke, and told me things in my life that I never thought about!
God is real... He saved me!
A LOT of people will tell you the same!
Hope you become a Number one!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102187 May 3, 2013
gary wrote:
<quoted text>
No im Gary I still have not found god
If you are truly looking... you will!
He saved me!
God Bless with the knowledge of Him!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102188 May 3, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because he uses Real Tree camo....
Ha ha ha...
But even in the cells of a tree... God's handiwork points to Him!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102189 May 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If we were in Iran you would be telling me that Allah loves me. Should I then have become a Muslim?
(actually I'd be arrested by now, but the point remains)
NO!
Big difference...
Jesus = Love...
MoHamMud = Cut yer head off, and blow up the pieces!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102190 May 3, 2013
Sunny Day wrote:
<quoted text>Stealing company time huh? That's nice.
Do you go around making accusations of everyone? Or are you just mad that your god didn't strike me down when I challenged it?

Because I am physically at work when I post to Topix at times doesn't mean that I'm charging for that time. A concept that is probably too complex for the fundamentalist mind.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102191 May 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you said you read the Bible?
Read Psalm 22
Proverbs 14:32
Isaiah 53
Those quickly come to mind
The OT also predicted His life and resurrection.
Isaiah also prophesied of Joseph Smith and the restoration as a side note.
Ok, I will give you that one, good job. So then why do the Jews not believe in the Jesus as a deity? Is the holy ghost not answering them?

From what the old testament says, I can see why the claims of the new testament are what they are. Does this mean any of the things happened as claimed? No. Maybe this is why the Jews do not believe in the Jesus?

Location hidden

#102192 May 3, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Say Whut? Vitriol, Me? Never.. Have you looked into getting evaluation for T.S.T.K.H.S.T.A. disorder? You seem to be showing the early symptoms... If caught earlier it can be treated but if you wait until it metastasizes into Late Stage it's considered terminal....
To be fair curious said "vitrol" which I think may be a word he just made up. I'm not sure what the definition of "vitrol" is, especially since he's known for redefining existing words too.

Location hidden

#102193 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not say that you were the one praying for any one to die.
In your statement,you said
"You are such a idiot filled with wishing those that disagree with you to die that God doesn't want anything to do with you either ,Thereby,implying that there is someone else He does not want anything to do with,other than,SD.
The other,would have to mean,those who disagree with SD, those being non believers or Atheists.
My understanding of what you posted,suggests to me that,you do not believe it is God's will to take the life of those who do not believe in him and that is why you believe God does not want anything to do with SD either,due to SD"S wish that they should die.
The either part,I understand to mean that,you believe that,although God doesn't want anything to do with Unbelievers or SD either,he does not believe unbelievers should be punished by death due to their disagreement with SD"s beliefs.
If I understood you correctly,then, what is the basis for your stating that God does not want anything to do with SD either.....and does your statement mean that God wants nothing to do with Atheists either.
Apparently you are new to the concept of sarcasm.

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102194 May 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say I "do not understand" what you mean is I don't believe. I understand very well.
"Genesis 48:14
But Israel reached out his right hand and put it on Ephraim’s head, though he was the younger, and crossing his arms, he put his left hand on Manasseh’s head, even though Manasseh was the firstborn."
Here we see that God, through Jacob, is using his right hand to bless the child of Jacob who would be greatest. This is reflected in the fact that Michael Jackson wears a glove on his right hand.
The Book of Mormon also supports the idea that Michael Jackson was foretold in prophesy:
1 Nephi 11:13 (Mary) "... she was exceedingly fair and white."
1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) "... became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations."
1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) "... they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people [Nephites] before they were slain."
2 Nephi 5:21 "... a sore cursing ... as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."
Clearly Jackson's lightening of skin color over the years demonstrates his divine nature, as supported by the Mormon text.
"Deuteronomy 8:6
Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him."
Jackson's iconic moonwalk is directly foretold in Deuteronomy. As Jackson moonwalked, so did a generation of followers, just as commanded in the Bible.
"Deuteronomy 33:14
with the best the sun brings forth and the finest the moon can yield;"
Again, a reference to moonwalking here in Deuteronomy. Michael Jackson was the “best son” of his father Joseph Walter "Joe" Jackson. His moonwalk was a symbol of his divine origins and a fulfillment of this passage.
"Ezekiel 5:2
When the days of your siege come to an end, burn a third of the hair inside the city. Take a third and strike it with the sword all around the city. And scatter a third to the wind. For I will pursue them with drawn sword."
This is an altogether sad portent of the Prince of Pop for it describes the maladies and trials he faced from an eraly time in his career. The siege refers to the time before Jackson became known to the world as a holy man of his own right. The burnt hair clearly and unmistakably refers to the incident when he burned his hair in a Pepsi commercial. The striking of the sword refers to the way people used to make terrible jokes about Jackson being gay or being a p*ssy. The third scattered to the wind reflects the tireless life of a performer, jetting from place to place to spread his gospel even as these terrible afflictions pursue him.
"Genesis 37:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made an ornate[a] robe for him."
This refers to the famous “coat of many colors”. Again we see a direct reflection of Jackson's future when we consider that he too donned an ornate jacket, replete with shiny zippers and red as fire.
I don't know how I can make it any clearer. Michael Jackson was foretold in the Bible, and even the Book of Mormon. Just like Jesus, but with better dance moves.
All hail the Michael, for it is written.

Location hidden

#102195 May 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say I "do not understand" what you mean is I don't believe. I understand very well.
But Israel reached out his right hand and put it on Ephraim’s head, though he was the younger, and crossing his arms, he put his left hand on Manasseh’s head, even though Manasseh was the firstborn."
Here we see that God, through Jacob, is using his right hand to bless the child of Jacob who would be greatest. This is reflected in the fact that Michael Jackson wears a glove on his right hand.
The Book of Mormon also supports the idea that Michael Jackson was foretold in prophesy:
1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) "... became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations."
1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) "... they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people [Nephites] before they were slain."
2 Nephi 5:21 "... a sore cursing ... as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."
Clearly Jackson's lightening of skin color over the years demonstrates his divine nature, as supported by the Mormon text.
Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him."
Jackson's iconic moonwalk is directly foretold in Deuteronomy. As Jackson moonwalked, so did a generation of followers, just as commanded in the Bible.
Again, a reference to moonwalking here in Deuteronomy. Michael Jackson was the “best son” of his father Joseph Walter "Joe" Jackson. His moonwalk was a symbol of his divine origins and a fulfillment of this passage.
When the days of your siege come to an end, burn a third of the hair inside the city. Take a third and strike it with the sword all around the city. And scatter a third to the wind. For I will pursue them with drawn sword."
This is an altogether sad portent of the Prince of Pop for it describes the maladies and trials he faced from an eraly time in his career. The siege refers to the time before Jackson became known to the world as a holy man of his own right. The burnt hair clearly and unmistakably refers to the incident when he burned his hair in a Pepsi commercial. The striking of the sword refers to the way people used to make terrible jokes about Jackson being gay or being a p*ssy. The third scattered to the wind reflects the tireless life of a performer, jetting from place to place to spread his gospel even as these terrible afflictions pursue him.
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made an ornate[a] robe for him."
This refers to the famous “coat of many colors”. Again we see a direct reflection of Jackson's future when we consider that he too donned an ornate jacket, replete with shiny zippers and red as fire.
I don't know how I can make it any clearer. Michael Jackson was foretold in the Bible, and even the Book of Mormon. Just like Jesus, but with better dance moves.
A tip of the hat to you sir, well done.

Location hidden

#102196 May 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>All hail the Michael, for it is written.
Crap, now we've provided more "evidence" to curious's insane conspiracy theory.

By the way, every time I read one of your posts I hear Metallica's Master of Puppets in my head.

Location hidden

#102197 May 3, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Hahaha...
No, no I am not!
This whole thing is choices!
Makes you wonder...
Why would one think it's ok to kill a baby, but
not kill people in a marathon?
If you have a glass of water with 1% dog poop in it...
It's still BAD for you!
Yet people will drink it up to 99%

I retract my earlier statement and replace it with:
You are an insane idiot.
I have no idea what point your deranged mind is trying to make with those statements above.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102198 May 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
What you have proved,is what I've suspected,YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT you
are talking about and your brain needs to be overhauled.
Your response,will no doubt,make it into the NONSENSE HALL OF FAME.
It is well established that the 3 Stooges and Abbott and Costello
performed some of the most nonsensical comedy in the entertainment isndustry.
You make them look like Amateurs
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102199 May 3, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
FFS idiot, I know exactly what you were trying to do. Why do you
<quoted text>
What? Look at the topic title, mouth breather. If there weren't a bunch of illiterate monkeys trying to shove disgusting lies down the throats of children and completely destroy their ability to think, NOBODY WOULD CARE. Unfortunately for our entire species, though, that is exactly what is happening. And I feel obligated in some way to stop the spread of this stupidity until, at some point, it stops trying to spread itself.
And to be clear, I'm not speaking of your God, your religion, your whatever. I'm talking about how and where you're shoving it.
Those who believe in Evolution can lay claim to the title of Illiterate Monkeys and you are right,Those illiterate monkeys are trying to shove disgusting lies down our chidrens throat.
I have looked at the topic title and at no time have I seen where you discussed those issues.
You have DISCUSSED,TIME AND AGAIN,the topic of God,that you do not believe he exists,that you want evidence that he exists,then you refuse to take the steps necessary to acquire that evidence,and you keep coming back to the subject of God,time and again...
Ant it is not just you.
So,I go back to what I stated earlier.
For someone whose mind is convinced God doea not exist,yet,their mind keeps drawing them back to that which they do not believe in,
seems odd.
Therefore my question,,,,What is your mind trying to tell you?
What is it you and your mind are searching for?
You are certainly not looking for the answer as to whether the bible should be taught in Public Schools,because that is not the issue you have been addressing.
That there is a conflict going on in your mind And it is troubling you,is reflected in the anger conveyed in your responses.
You have never asked my opinion on whether the bible should or should not be taught in public schools.
That I can recollect,no one here has.
The discussions have always revolved around the existence or non existence of GOD....Why is that?

Location hidden

#102201 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
This is what you sound like to me:

“pervinco per logica”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102202 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! Still don't know how to use a comma, I see. That's OK. I'll admit that most people won't notice the punctuation abuse when they are stared in the face by the remainder of the things you write.

Do you somehow not realize that you are making comparisons to a couple of highly successful vaudeville comedy acts in an attempt to insult somebody who was trying and succeeding at being funny? Why don't I write a long post on game theory. Then you can try to insult me by telling me how superior I am to John Nash. Man... you are stupid.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who believe in Evolution can lay claim to the title of Illiterate Monkeys and you are right,Those illiterate monkeys are trying to shove disgusting lies down our chidrens throat.
I have looked at the topic title and at no time have I seen where you discussed those issues.
"I know you are, but what am I?"
Petulant crybaby. You don't get to throw my insults back at me. They do not apply. I have evidence on my side, you have demonstrated nothing except for the power of a book over a weak human mind.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You have DISCUSSED,TIME AND AGAIN,the topic of God,that you do not believe he exists,that you want evidence that he exists,then you refuse to take the steps necessary to acquire that evidence,and you keep coming back to the subject of God,time and again...
Ant it is not just you.
You may be literally retarded. How do you not get it? I discuss it time and time again because YOU, moron, keep acting as though their is proof of existence. And if that is true, then there is certainly only right to teach your garbage at school. Do you get it yet? Even a little bit? This is an exceedingly simple concept.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
So,I go back to what I stated earlier.
For someone whose mind is convinced God doea not exist,yet,their mind keeps drawing them back to that which they do not believe in,
seems odd.
Therefore my question,,,,What is your mind trying to tell you?
What is it you and your mind are searching for?
You are certainly not looking for the answer as to whether the bible should be taught in Public Schools,because that is not the issue you have been addressing.
That there is a conflict going on in your mind And it is troubling you,is reflected in the anger conveyed in your responses.
You have never asked my opinion on whether the bible should or should not be taught in public schools.
The discussions have always revolved around the existence or non existence of GOD....Why is that?
Oh, wait... I see it now. God is totally guiding my thoughts to him. There is a great conflict in my mind and God is just using the Holy Ghost to push me towards realization that HE is REAL!!!!

Thank you! I finally understand! Thank you so much for pointing my poor logical brain to the Lord! I shall throw down my books and science and evidence and reason and take up the Bible! I've been a fool for so long! I can't believe I didn't want people to teach God's word in school! I was hardly even American. I can't believe that I was trying to oppress the freedom of speech and freedom of religion of God's people by keeping the Bible out of school. I am ashamed.

Really, moron? Really? Is that the kind of response you want? Do you think that a couple of sentences about the doubt and confusion and conflict you imagine me having in my mind is going to flip some switch and make me abandon everything that makes me a better part of the human race than you?

No. How stupid are you?

Location hidden

#102203 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh whaaaa, "no one wants my opinion...whaaaa whaaaa".
I'll tell you why...there are two reasons:
1) the topic of this thread isn't really up for debate. The SCOTUS decided this a long time ago.
2) Your opinion isn't valued because you're a hateful, idiotic loon.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
matt abott no longer at alton blakley mazda (Nov '08) 1 hr John 131
Christmas Dinner & gifts for kids 3 hr Living Bread Soup... 3
medical office employee laws... 4 hr curious606 2
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 5 hr Trouser Cough 22,675
KY Senator Vows to End Somerset Gas Sales 5 hr robert 27
What does the Apostolic faith preach? (Aug '10) 9 hr Antonio Brisco D Min 14
Weapons of Mass Destruction Special Unit (Jul '11) 10 hr vet 20
Somerset Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web