Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
96,121 - 96,140 of 130,467 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#100629 Apr 23, 2013
More proof that prayer does nothing

http://news.yahoo.com/2nd-child-pa-couple-die...

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#100630 Apr 23, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
="ChromiuMan"]<qu oted text>
Revelation has no place in the New Testament and shouldn't have been included.
A fool is wise,in his own eyes.Now,we have the Atheists claiming that they are eminently qualified to determine what books should be contained in The New Testament.
You must be a comedy writer for Jay Leno,that's why they fired him.
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do think Revelations has no place in the New Testament? Where else would such a chapter be placed chroniLogically?
A reasonable question. There isn't any evidence that John of Patmos was John the Apostle. Revelation bears no resemblance to the Gospel of John. There isn't any reasonable expectation that Rev. was divinely inspired or that John of Patmos even laid eyes on Jesus. There were many other writings in circulation by the third century that were actually held to be eyewitness accounts, and yet not only were those not included in the canonized Bible, many were deemed by the Councils to be false, irrelevant or sacrilegious and were ordered to be systematically destroyed. Revelation, on the other hand was a terrific tool to reinforce the punishment/reward doctrine of the church and as such has become indispensable. That is the only "chroniLogical" reason for its inclusion and longevity.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100631 Apr 23, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would you think it should?
I don't.

Location hidden

#100632 Apr 23, 2013
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Here we are, America, deficited to the hilt, laughable if they weren't so patheTic, at the LACK of any manageable "budgets", people with no healthcare, and not enough means to afford ridiculous free market prices, added to that now, a backwards, Tax, Fine and ROB the Honest working class people some more bullchit bill- worthy at this point, only of lining birdcages with, and this is what has been focus "issues" in DC.
Set up an auto-marry-whatever site out of Vegas-$39.95, on-screen confetti and randuhm weddink muzac provided. Spawrkul spawrkul, gwiiter, gwitter.
Maybe THEN, this nation can grow some NON-dysfunctional braincells again, and get on with the business it's SUPPOSED to be tending to, rather than being mired in the gutter level idiocracy that's been mired in for the past few years.
Is there a relevant point in there somewhere?

“There is no god.”

Level 2

Since: Jan 12

USA

#100633 Apr 23, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Not from the self proclaimed sozi, just stupidity.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#100634 Apr 23, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a problem with a third electorial party?
Too bad...get used to it-they've (third parties)have been around a LONG, long time.
And as for the rest-I don't believe in ABUSES of the system.
And these days, there are many and that's why it's BROKE(N).
I do realize however, those statements are defining of my OWN perspective in that NOT everyone is a jackboot political party licker, and NOT everyone abuses the system(s) and that type of ideology of thinking for ones self based upon actual characteristics of expected repreesentations via MERITOCRACY, rather than mindless bobbleheadness, is offensive, to jack bootlickers!
Too bad for you again.
You'll get used to it, or not. Either way, NOT my problem, stumpy!
Actually, I'd like to vote for whoever I want in every election, but the 2 party system has it rigged for its own purposes.
I would welcome an honest and straightforward "common sense" third party that is not surreptitiously vested in special interests and the top 3%.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100635 Apr 23, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Tea parties are for little girls
And keep your paws away from the fine cutlery and vestabules of!
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100636 Apr 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
A reasonable question. There isn't any evidence that John of Patmos was John the Apostle. Revelation bears no resemblance to the Gospel of John. There isn't any reasonable expectation that Rev. was divinely inspired or that John of Patmos even laid eyes on Jesus. There were many other writings in circulation by the third century that were actually held to be eyewitness accounts, and yet not only were those not included in the canonized Bible, many were deemed by the Councils to be false, irrelevant or sacrilegious and were ordered to be systematically destroyed. Revelation, on the other hand was a terrific tool to reinforce the punishment/reward doctrine of the church and as such has become indispensable. That is the only "chroniLogical" reason for its inclusion and longevity.
Yeah well, it's still interesting stuff-especially when archeology keeps unearthing oh..umm..."related incidentals".

(and it would've been unscholarly to have placed it anywhere else within the pages of!)
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100637 Apr 23, 2013
<quoted text>
I don't.
Glad to hear that, it's encouraging that the plague of ignorance has spread to all parts of duh tread!!!
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100638 Apr 23, 2013
edit _has NOT spread to all parts....
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100639 Apr 23, 2013
<quoted text>
Yeah, we need to stomp on some of rampant the stupid so the ones with some actual intelligence and braincell activity with ideas... worthy of thought and time, can move this nation FORWARD again-rather than failing backwards-thirty years behind the times and stuff.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100640 Apr 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I'd like to vote for whoever I want in every election, but the 2 party system has it rigged for its own purposes.
I would welcome an honest and straightforward "common sense" third party that is not surreptitiously vested in special interests and the top 3%.
Really-all states should have that inclusion in all elections-INCLUDING preliminaries!

“pervinco per logica”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100641 Apr 23, 2013
I will be as polite as possible as I explain the truth of this matter.
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Why some of us even find the BS that it has to be "either" the BB or Creationism, utterly contemptible, severely lacking and devoid of much of any logic at all.
That's because you have an agenda or simply don't understand what logic is. And these are facts, not insults.

Literal interpretations of Genesis (AKA "creationism") are simply as wrong as you can get. There is a universe of contradiction. You literally cannot look ANYWHERE without finding evidence that disproves it. People who believe the literal interpretation is correct and that science is wrong are brainwashed.

That said, Christians who believe that Genesis is simply an allegory that was intended to tell a primitive people about what created them (more so than how) at least aren't contradicting reality. So they are respectable in that way. But they are still illogical. They have no justification for their beliefs (which is why it's called "faith" instead of "science"). If there are simple processes that have been theorized that are compatible with the laws of nature and require no supernatural contribution, science does not allow the addition of some supernatural contributing factor.

Further, even if we DON'T know what caused a certain thing in the past, that does not allow a logical conclusion that "God did it", because that would be a logical fallacy (argument from ignorance). The only conclusion one can logically draw is "we don't know" and then seek out new information.

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#100642 Apr 23, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah well, it's still interesting stuff-especially when archeology keeps unearthing oh..umm..."related incidentals".
(and it would've been unscholarly to have placed it anywhere else within the pages of!)
It was "unscholarly" to have placed it anywhere. It could easily be the visions and ramblings of a schizophrenic.

“pervinco per logica”

Level 1

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100643 Apr 23, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Something that liars of all sort figured out long ago. Fortune tellers, astrologers, preachers, etc. etc.:

Vagueness + a little bit of educated guesswork = tricking the gullible.

If you think anything is "related", that's because your presupposition got in the way of a true evaluation of the information. Vague texts can seem to be "related" to a great many things if you want them to be. It's easy to convince a fool of something that he already wanted to hear.

Location hidden

#100644 Apr 23, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think anything is "related", that's because your presupposition got in the way of a true evaluation of the information. Vague texts can seem to be "related" to a great many things if you want them to be. It's easy to convince a fool of something that he already wanted to hear.
True words. I would add to this our (human) ability for pattern recognition contributes immensely to "magical" thinking. We're hard-wired to categorize everything we sense and to make connections with the data. Effective pattern detection was essential for our survival in the pre-modern world (and to some degree still is today). Unfortunately, it also fuels post hoc reasoning.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100645 Apr 23, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Quote,chromiuman wrote" There isn't any reasonable expectation that Rev. was divinely inspired or that John of Patmos even laid eyes on Jesus
Let me see if I understand you correctly.In order for a book to be included in the New Testament,It has to meet the following criteria.
1)That the Authors" had either known Jesus personally or were closely affiliated with somebody who had, and were considered trustworthy by that person(apostolic authority). For example, Matthew, Peter, and John were disciples, Paul had an encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus, Mark worked closely with Peter, and Luke traveled with Paul..
2)That the message contained the book were ones that accurately portrayed Jesus and presented Christianity in the form practiced by the church that sprung out of Jesus.
.3)And that they had to be Divinely Inspired,meaning,Guided by the hand of God.
In your view,Revelation does not meet that criteria,therefore,in your judgement,it should not have been included,in
Whereas,the other books in the New Testament,because,in your judgement they met that criteria, were legitimately included.
When I made my comments about your being acomedy writer for Jay leno and that is why he was fired,I was not aware that you subscribed to the abovementioned criteria.
Accept my apologies,I had misjudged you and based on your explanation, I was wrong.
Although, I do not necessarily agree,that Revelation does not belong in the old testament

“See how you are?”

Level 5

Earth

#100646 Apr 23, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote,chromiuman wrote" There isn't any reasonable expectation that Rev. was divinely inspired or that John of Patmos even laid eyes on Jesus
Let me see if I understand you correctly.In order for a book to be included in the New Testament,It has to meet the following criteria.
1)That the Authors" had either known Jesus personally or were closely affiliated with somebody who had, and were considered trustworthy by that person(apostolic authority). For example, Matthew, Peter, and John were disciples, Paul had an encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus, Mark worked closely with Peter, and Luke traveled with Paul..
2)That the message contained the book were ones that accurately portrayed Jesus and presented Christianity in the form practiced by the church that sprung out of Jesus.
.3)And that they had to be Divinely Inspired,meaning,Guided by the hand of God.
In your view,Revelation does not meet that criteria,therefore,in your judgement,it should not have been included,in
Whereas,the other books in the New Testament,because,in your judgement they met that criteria, were legitimately included.
When I made my comments about your being acomedy writer for Jay leno and that is why he was fired,I was not aware that you subscribed to the abovementioned criteria.
Accept my apologies,I had misjudged you and based on your explanation, I was wrong.
Although, I do not necessarily agree,that Revelation does not belong in the old testament
Do not presume that someone who literally grew up in a church is devoid of knowledge of scripture simply because they choose not to dissect and debate line and verse. I find such to be tedious and futile, as faith is never bound to the same rules of engagement as rationality.
The author of Revelation has no credentials aside from having been exiled by the Romans to the island of Patmos along with other heretics.
I believe you meant New Testament, not old.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100647 Apr 23, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
keep on reading....lol u will learn the ones that cant be counted are not goin to heaven. they will be living on the jesus controlled earth while the jewish 144k go on to heaven to be with the main god. u actually need to learn your bible a little better. dont make a statement that is wrong unless u read the whole thing. there are many many scriptures that tell u that no man will enter the gates of heaven but i guess u just ignore those as u go huh? lol this is one case that u dont know what u are talkin about but still had the arrogance about u to point out that u know more about it than me and for that i thank u, just proves more and more that the followers follow blind cuz they dont know what really is in the book.
I was reading what you posted and suddenly,a thought occurred to me.
Atheists believe that God does not exist, if one believes something does not exist,it does not make much sense to debate whether it exists or not.
Although Atheists do not believe in God,they are unable to get that which they don't believe in,off their minds.
Somehow,this entity they claim does not exist( God) has crept into their minds and they can not stop thinking about him.
As a result,they read the Bible,probably more frequently,than many of those who claim to be Christians.
And I asked myself,Why is it that God is on their minds and why do they read the Bible?
Then I read the Bible, where it states;
1 Timothy 2:3-4
3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth

Matthew 19:25-26
25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished, saying,“Who then can be saved?” 26 But Jesus looked at them and said,“With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

and my question was answered.

Thanks for responding to what I posted.It helped answer a question for which I did not have an answer

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#100648 Apr 23, 2013
Guardian Angel wrote:
You all need to shut up,none of you have a clue.Read the bible.As for prove do you breath air?There is no big bang theory.
"There's no fixing stupid" - Ron White

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min Ali the great one 1,218
Cheddars 22 min Pug lover 20
Republican 2 hr Woodman 1
Dr Veligandla is leaving Somerset. 2 hr No comment 4
dr 2 hr Culligan 1
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 3 hr Knowitall9 14,724
4 word game (Jan '09) 3 hr Knowitall9 1,855
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 20,637
•••
•••

Somerset Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000