Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,120

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99721 Apr 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You do not seem to understand the meaning of a "claim". The story is a claim. It is a claim without evidence.
And yes, we do not accept this claim on blind faith just as we do not accept the bible or the Koran on blind faith. This is what separates the gullible from the critical thinkers.

Why do you not accept the Koran on this blind faith?
Because the Holy Ghost has witnessed unto me that the Koran possesses some truths but is not the gospel of the Father.

Why is this story a claim?

Location hidden

#99722 Apr 14, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>There were always stories about demon possessions passed around the JWs. There was one about a Surf coming to life and Satanic music albums not burning in a fire. Some people just like to make up stories. I'm not saying your friend is but for them to keep the bloody clothes as proof shows me they are trying to convince people of something.
They kept them for the child so he would always remember what God did for him.
Again, this wasn't for publicity. The only reason I know about it is because we are close friends and rode to work together, hung out, went to church together, etc.

Location hidden

#99723 Apr 14, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. They didn't look closely at the wound (they went into a closet?).
Sounds like they were more afraid of the blood than the child.
Besides, it's a (heheehehee) known fact that head wounds, even minor ones, bleed like crazy.
Hence the miracle

Location hidden

#99724 Apr 14, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>It is also a known fact that christians like to get little boys in closets
Oh wow. Way to go there dude. Really?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99725 Apr 14, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>If you are saying this is why YOU believe that prayer has power than that is your right.
It does not convince me of anything, but than you know that.
Anne Romney has been praying to be cured of MS..........
Well,first of all,I have never said that this event,in and of itself,has caused me to have believe in the power of prayer.
It has taken many other situations,which have caused my faith to grow to the stage that it has.
How you arrived at that conclusion is beyond anything I could imagine.
The reason I gave,for posting this information was to see,if anyone on this website had the integrity to address the specific points that I mentioned,and regardless of their beliefs,could conceivably,demonstrate to me ,that all these coincidences had a logical explanation,
So far,neither you or Iagio has shown those qualities.
Guess i was expecting too much.I should have known better.
I do not imagine that there is someone on this website that will attempt to do so,BUT,I couldvery well be wrong.
That,in no way,will alter my faith.
As a matter of fact,due to some of the questions and issues that I,ve had to deal with,has caused me to do some biblical research,that has further strenghthed my faith.
As a result,this has been a great learning experience,for that,I am grateful to you and others...

Level 1

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#99727 Apr 14, 2013
"Life is not a race - but indeed a journey. Be Honest. Work Hard. Be Choosy. Say "thank you", and "great job" to someone each day. Go to church, take time for prayer.

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh. Let your handshake mean more than pen and paper. Love your life and what you've been given, it is not accidental ~ search for your purpose and do it as best you can.

Dreaming does matter. It allows you to become that which you inspire to be. Laugh often. Appreciate the little things in life and enjoy them Some of the best things really are free.

Do not worry, less wrinkles are more becoming. Forgive, it frees the soul. Take time for yourself ~ Plan for longevity. Recognize the special people you've been blessed to know.

Live for today, enjoy the moment.
Wrong again Sparky

Mount Sterling, KY

#99728 Apr 15, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has ever observed a prayer cause an illness to be cured. People pray constantly for things to be cured. The rate of things being cured or just going away is consistent with chance or with the rate we expect them to go away.
The fact that one time out of a million someone says a prayer and then shortly after they actually get better is NOT evidence that prayer works. It's called a Post Hoc Fallacy. I eat ice cream, then lightning strikes my house. Did the ice cream cause the lightning?
Intercessory prayer (praying for other people) has been studied many times. The biggest and most well controlled studies find no evidence that this type of prayer does anything at all.
Now, just praying to yourself has a slim positive affect on how people feel. This is the placebo affect. It is the same kind of thing you get from a massage, meditation, or taking certain drugs like X or something.
http://epistle.us/answeredpray er.html
you should search a bit before you post...
Wrong again Sparky

Mount Sterling, KY

#99729 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Why not? Because YOU say so? Your god has been proven to be non-existent and your bible has been proven to be false.
YOU are just a troll. If you are not trying to force your beliefs on to any one and are not arguing that the bible should be taught in public schools than you are only here to troll.
And you are a liar.
Wrong...
thanks again!
Wrong again Sparky

Mount Sterling, KY

#99730 Apr 15, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
This is Not a reply to you the OP... This is to all the others reading..... Folks here is a Prime example why our country is on such a downward spiral as this is a product of our educational system and shows that if we do not find away to educate our children we are doomed as a nation....
Teach them that the 18% tax rate for Osama... is NOT the "Fair share" he imposed on people making 450.000 @ 43%....
his followers are to stoooopid to see it...
Nice going Osama!
LOL
Wrong again Sparky

Mount Sterling, KY

#99732 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Changing the name you post under does not fool any one.
And when you post stupid stuff it is not a sign that you got over when no one replies, it is because stupid troll post do not get a reply
I have proof that your god and your bible where made up and are not real, prove that I do not
Hahahahaha!
The Bible speaks about people like you....
Go figure!
Thanks again!

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99733 Apr 15, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Teach them that the 18% tax rate for Osama... is NOT the "Fair share" he imposed on people making 450.000 @ 43%....
Nice going Osama!
LOL
Since the tax rate for people in the highest income bracket is not 43% you are a stupid fool
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99734 Apr 15, 2013
<quoted text>Teach them that the 18% tax rate for Osama... is NOT the "Fair share" he imposed on people making 450.000 @ 43%....
Nice going Osama!
LOL
That "the rich pay most of the taxes" is BULLCHIT too.
GOUJ-UHing the WORKING class some more-- is for Losers!

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99735 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well,first of all,I have never said that this event,in and of itself,has caused me to have believe in the power of prayer.
It has taken many other situations,which have caused my faith to grow to the stage that it has.
How you arrived at that conclusion is beyond anything I could imagine.
The reason I gave,for posting this information was to see,if anyone on this website had the integrity to address the specific points that I mentioned,and regardless of their beliefs,could conceivably,demonstrate to me ,that all these coincidences had a logical explanation,
So far,neither you or Iagio has shown those qualities.
Guess i was expecting too much.I should have known better.
I do not imagine that there is someone on this website that will attempt to do so,BUT,I couldvery well be wrong.
That,in no way,will alter my faith.
As a matter of fact,due to some of the questions and issues that I,ve had to deal with,has caused me to do some biblical research,that has further strenghthed my faith.
As a result,this has been a great learning experience,for that,I am grateful to you and others...
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I say that you have a right to your beliefs even though I do not believe as you do and you go off about some test?
I never agreed to alow you to test me, I am not going to look for your reasons to believe in your god and you sir are full of bull.
Do you always just make stuff up as you go? Do you have difficulty keeping a job?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99736 Apr 15, 2013
<quoted text>Hahahahaha!
The Bible speaks about people like you....
Go figure!
Thanks again!
Yet you can not prove that I DO NOT have proof that your god does not exist
So true

Franklin, KY

#99737 Apr 15, 2013
Good day to you all.. May our paths pass by gently along our journey, no matter where it may lead..

Location hidden

#99738 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Event 1)I am in a church,praying to a God of whose existence,I am highly skeptical. I am asking this God to prove his existence by helping me find my lost dog.Specifically i am asking that,when I walk out the church door,my dog will be standing outside,if that occurs,I will believe in him.
I look at my watch,it is 9;00 am.
I walk out the door,the dog is not there...I concluded that,prayer was not answered,Either God does not exist or he refused to answer.

Event 2)A lady is sitting at home readind the morning paper.
About 2 weeks prior,her neighbor had found a stray dog,brought it home and her girlfriend adopted it.
After neighbor told her she had found a home for the dog,she never gave that event a second thought.
While she is reading the paper,for some unknown reason,she decided to look at thr Lost pets section of the paper,that section contained a ad I had placed with a description of my dog.
She read the ads,and according to her,based on her recollection of the dog,none of the descriptions in the ads,seemed to fit her recollection of the dog,including the description in my ad.
In spite of that,she decided to call me anyway.
Logically,that does not make sense.
She informed me that she called me at home at about 9;am,and that no one answered the phone ,which is just about the time when I was leaving the church,therefore,No one was home
That was it?
I fail to see anything illogical here. Improbable? Maybe, but so are winning $100 scratch lottery tickets and that happens all the time. Given the probabilities of the two, I'd bet on your scenario happening at a higher rate than winning $100 on a scratch ticket anyday.

You say that she read the lost pets section for reasons unknown. No, she read the lost pets section because her friend recently found a dog. Even if she didn't intend to. That's kind of how your subconscious works. You do stuff all the time that you're not consciously thinking about.
The timing of the call? Sure it's coincidence. As Yiago pointed out, most people read the paper in the morning, she called "around" 9am. That doesn't strike me as odd in the slightest. You say your ad didn't match her description of the dog. So, either your ad was horribly written (not likely if you actually wanted the dog back), or her memory was horrible. I think it's very likely that the description matched enough that it triggered the call...again, it could have been enough for her subconscious to make the connection for her. The subconscious works that way, and lucky for us it does. It pulls our butts out of the "fire" all the time.

You make bold assertions like "science can't explain this" or "this is completely illogical". Yet, it can be simply explained. It's not even that coincidental.

I'm sure you'll just say I'm too stupid to understand what really happened though...

“Breaking the spell ”

Level 1

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#99739 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike,If you wish to have a Civil exchange of our different views,I wiil be glad to do so. Unfortunately,on this website,that has proven to be an unattainable goal.
I am guilty of being part of this problem.
When someone mocks my beliefs in God,I tend to respond in kind,which,I shouldn't do.
Let me tell you what I believe about myself.
I DO NOT believe that,as a result of my belief in God,that I am better than someone who does not believe in God,or someone who believes in a different God.
Scripture tells me that,we are ALL sinners and fall short of the glory of God. The word ALL,includes me.
So,in the eyes of the God that I worship,Iam neither better or worse than you are,therefore I have no reason to boast,as Scripture clearly points out to me.
If you wish to continue our debate on that basis,let me know and we can continue analyzing Psalm 14 based on how you interpret it, based on your beliefs and I will do the same ,based on my beliefs,on which we can respectfully disagree,as I am sure we will.
If not,then,there is no point in continuing our discussion.
PS It is not my intention to convert anyone.That would be foolishness on my part. I am merely expressing the reasons by which I came to believe in God,through prayer and putting his teachings into practice.
What I experienced,as a result,has led me to my beliefs.
I am unable to transfer those eexperiences to any one else,
so,therefore,someone else is not going to believe based on MY experiences...
If they are to come to a particular belief,it has to be based on their own experiences.
So when the previous verse specifies those that say their is no god, that part is irrelevant? What was the point in that verse if this is what you believe?

I am not trying to convert you either, I am just pointing out what I see are giant flaws in the bible and in Christianity.

Again, I am told by so many Christians that I am a fool due to this verse.

You have yet to address the point of the claim the bible makes here that no one has done good. Unless the translation is flawed, it clearly means not a single person has ever done a single good deed. Of course this is false.
Godisaneyeball

East Bernstadt, KY

#99740 Apr 15, 2013
So now we see, why perhaps, "religious" (including LACK of any sort of belief in) discussions, beliefs and practices, are best kept amongst those who-
A. Believe the same,
and/or
B. Have the common sense to partake in such, and the maturity enough to realize that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs (providing they are not hurting others in any way of course) and everyone has opinions of their OWN, whether others like them or not..
and/or
C.Possess respect enough for OTHERS opinions to maintain basic human decency in composure, with out having to resort to childish name calling and hatertic type imbecilic behaviors...

... rather than one ideal (or UNideal) being dispersed amongst the masses as any sort of "uniting" theme, because that will Never happen, as people are diverse individuals, NOT stamp molded all the same from some damn stupid mechanical, herd pack producing machine.

As in -Freedom OF (not from) Religion, Just like the Constitution states.

God Bless America.

Location hidden

#99741 Apr 15, 2013
Godisaneyeball wrote:
So now we see, why perhaps, "religious" (including LACK of any sort of belief in) discussions, beliefs and practices, are best kept amongst those who-
A. Believe the same,
and/or
B. Have the common sense to partake in such, and the maturity enough to realize that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs (providing they are not hurting others in any way of course) and everyone has opinions of their OWN, whether others like them or not..
and/or
C.Possess respect enough for OTHERS opinions to maintain basic human decency in composure, with out having to resort to childish name calling and hatertic type imbecilic behaviors...
... rather than one ideal (or UNideal) being dispersed amongst the masses as any sort of "uniting" theme, because that will Never happen, as people are diverse individuals, NOT stamp molded all the same from some damn stupid mechanical, herd pack producing machine.
As in -Freedom OF (not from) Religion, Just like the Constitution states.
God Bless America.
You have something against debate?

And where exactly in the constitution does it say "freedom OF (not from) religion"?
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

#99742 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
let us look at psalm 14 in it's entirety,not just the first verse. Read the 2nd verse,which you conveniently left out along with the subsequent verses,which give a full explanation,
The verses state that they do not seek God,as is the case with Atheists..All have turned away.
The fact that a person made have done one good thing,does not mean that he does or is good.
If that were the case,then we could consider Hitler as being a good man,Charles Manson as being a good man,Bin laden as being a good man,as I am sure that,at some point ,they must have done at least,one good thing..
The list of evil doers,that more than likely,did one good thing in their life,can go on and on.That does not make them good.
Therefore,the validity and truth of the Bible is maintained
Psalm 14
For the director of music. Of David.
1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing?
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord.
5 But there they are, overwhelmed with dread,
for God is present in the company of the righteous.
6 You evildoers frustrate the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is their refuge.
7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores his people,
let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad!
Great point!
Even when they do good... it's for a tax deduction, or status!
Not caring for a person, or his soul, putting animals above
Humans... killing babies for convenience...
None do good, not one!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 21 min Trouser Cough 22,780
Weapons of Mass Destruction Special Unit (Jul '11) 6 hr Paul 24
Cody Smith?.... (Aug '08) 9 hr Stan 25
Somerset is wet, where are the new Restaurants? 9 hr DagasssMan 36
Gas prices 18 hr Disgusted 25
Crickets and Mill worms Tue Vote Libertarian 2
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) Tue whatimeisit 10,502
Somerset Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web