Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,067

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98804 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
<quoted text>
What book are you getting your information on evolution from that is over a billion or even a million years old? Answer none. So for scientist to determine that something is a billion years old is preposterous.Evidence -there is nothing to compare it with. Just saying something is that old is not a scientific fact,where is the actual fossil,or etc. to compare the actual age with. The Bible actually tells of things happening thousands & thousands of years ago.(not just 2 thousand ,that was the time of which our lord Jesus came ). You are misinformed and confused,but no surprise,evolution has only been around a few hundred years or less. Evolution gives comfort to the feeble minded who fear death-thinking if they rule out god,they rule out hell . Some christians do not believe in hell either,but believe that the grave is hell,since they are forever separated from God.
Young Earth Creationists believe the Earth is 6000 years old, give or take. They arrived at this number by adding up the "begats" in the Jewish Bible.

Science comes up with dates from thousands or billions of years ago by a whole series of dating techniques. They measure the decay rates of radioactive isotopes, check the composition of a rock or fossil, then do the math on how long ago that rock or fossil must have come into being. Here's a link to a page that explains a lot of dating methods.

http://darwiniana.org/datingmethods.htm

And here's a list of various methods used:

Superposition
Stratigraphy
Dendrochronology
Radiocarbon C14
Radiometric Dating Methods
Obsidian Hydration Dating
Paleomagnetic/Archaeomagnetic
Luminescence Dating Methods
Amino Acid Racemization
Fission-track Dating
Ice Cores
Varves
Pollens
Corals
Cation Ratio
Fluorine Dating
Patination
Oxidizable Carbon Ratio
Electron Spin Resonance
Cosmic-ray Exposure Dating

And if you cross check these different lines of evidence they tend to confirm each other. In other words, using one method might get you a date of 1.2 billion years. Another method might get you 1.4. Another might get you 1.25. See the pattern? So when it comes to these really ancient dates the best you can do is get relatively close.

I mean seriously. If this isn't enough evidence for the accuracy of scientific dating methods then you are not a person who is capable of accepting evidence.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#98805 Apr 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Religious beliefs disprove each other using the same book. Why is that, if you are so sure you have the truth of mans existence?
You want eternal life and not be tortured by God. I understand that. If that helps you be a good law abiding citizen that's a good thing. You may never become a great scientist or great at anything but you can still try.
Science would like to prove if a God exists yet they cannot, you cannot prove it either. I do understand your fear of losing your belief. I'm still waiting for some christian to raise a dead person from the grave so scientist can witness, test and verify if God exists.
No, God cannot grow limbs on amputees, science will one day and you will say God did it.
Well,you have said a mouthful,based on your feelings and emotions.
I have given my reasons for my faith,which you automatically discarded and without any basis in fact,you claim that my faith is based on fear of being tortured by God and wanting eternal life.
I never said that I could prove the exitence of God,What I said is that GOD proved his existence to me by answering specific prayers that only he and I knew about.
Now,there is natural evidence that God exists,the Universe,stars,our planet,inhabited by the most sophisticated machine( life form known to man....the human species,among others.
But,many reject this evidence and attribute this immense creation
to some accidental explosion that they can not explain based on facts and then theorize how life came into existence through an evolutionary proces. The problem with that is that,they cannot EXPLAIN how life came into being,because they don't know it occurred
They can not explain how nonliving nonintelligent matter was able to spontaneously come to lihe and create the human species,amomg others.
Does science try to prove the existence of God?Science will never prove the existence of God by using man constructed criteria.
The natural can not prove the supernatural.
Not to be repetitve,God has clearly stated how one may come to know him; If you seek me diligently,you will find me.
To unbelievers that is foolishness,but not to those who believe,have tested his word and found it to be true
What is wisdom to God ,is foolishness to the Godless
What is wisdom to the Godless,is foolishness to GOD
Therefore, Intheir search for widom and knowledge,the Godless have attained unto foolishness.
I don't know that man will someday,be able to grow limbs on amputees,could it happen,yes.This would come about as the result of an intelligent being figuring out the process on how this could be achieved...
It would not come about as a result of nonliving nonintelligent matter spontaneously creating that limb.Or would you believe that is possible? and if so,explain how.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#98806 Apr 6, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No doubt we agree on this. Science is the *best* tool we have to navigate this universe. I'd argue it is the only one that can do the trick. And I'd argue that science is the inevitable toolkit that comes out of the application of reason.
Here's something interesting, Q. You and I have some pretty big disagreements on certain ideas, such as the value of scientific consensus. Right? Now, we can discuss this disagreement rationally and make excellent points about it. We can have a reasoned debate and offer evidence to support our positions.
But if we were Christians of different faiths what would we argue about? The nature of sin? Once saved, always saved? Meaningless mental masturbation. I could just make up my own church, interpret the Bible how I wanted to, and I'd be on pretty much the same intellectual ground as anyone else when it comes down to pure faith.
I mean, what evidence can you possibly provide to support the argument that you are going to live forever when you die?
Open and intense debate is the basis of science and yes we have disagreed on the issue of consensus on the whole global warming thing but here is a little dig to show why consensus on issues are the bane of good science.... https://plus.google.com/photos/11043992667178...

And must I add... told ya so, told ya so, told ya so.....
little women

Morehead, KY

#98807 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
This in the King James bible Jeremiah chapter 7 veres 21 -23 - God did NOT tell them to sacrifice animals 22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:
23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.
24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
Why judge as clueless ,when this what the bible says Read it-or do you prefer that god likes sacrifices ?
little women

Morehead, KY

#98808 Apr 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, the threats of hell. Kind of hard to scare someone who thinks your god is not even real. Are you scared of Thor?
So if your god visible and just where is he? If not in the sky, why do Christians point up when refering to him? If you wish us not to say he lives up there, maybe stop pointing up there.
If you wish us to stop saying he is invisible, show us what his physical presence looks like?
JESUS
right

Morehead, KY

#98809 Apr 6, 2013
PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you for REAL?
No of course not-I am being silly. Sorry. Just trying to show how stupid it is to believe in evolution and coming from Apes. Yet none of the posters who uphold evolution will say that their ancestors were apes. Wonder WHY NOT ? I believe I was made in the image of God(which is my faith,though I do not go to church as much as I should ) Their faith says they came from apes ,so why not agree that their family tree has indeed apes .

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#98810 Apr 6, 2013
right wrote:
<quoted text>
No of course not-I am being silly. Sorry. Just trying to show how stupid it is to believe in evolution and coming from Apes. Yet none of the posters who uphold evolution will say that their ancestors were apes. Wonder WHY NOT ? I believe I was made in the image of God(which is my faith,though I do not go to church as much as I should ) Their faith says they came from apes ,so why not agree that their family tree has indeed apes .
Um... because the theory of evolution does not state man evolved from apes.... The Only people that say that don't know what the theory says and only know what religious idiots say it says....

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#98811 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
<quoted text>
god never had humans sacrificed ,though Abraham offered issac,god would not let him take Issac's lif,He provided a sheep. we,humans kill or (buy animals that are already slaughtered ) to eat. We love the smell of a fine pork roast cooking ,a the smell of a steak on the grill. God like the "sweet savory smell of the sacrifice " the bible says. And read on,the meat did not go to waste,it was eaten by the priests. Man ,having nothing better to offer God,killed the same animal that he would eat himself and offered it as a gift.
If you think it is wrong to kill an animal,why do you eat fried chicken ? steaks ? hamburgers ? roasts & etc. Why on Hoildays do we fix turkey on Thanksgivinng ? Ham for easter ? Reason man always celebrates with food. If god is wrong,than so are we.
Sidestep questions much? Killing to survive is different than a god demanding you kill for pleasure. But the question is why would your god need man to kill animals for blood ritual sacrifice???

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98812 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Be that,as it may; The fact is that,neither of you is able to explain how,through evolution,the following process took place
So,let me try again
explain how the male species was able to create itself,or how the female species was able to create itself and then,independently and without prior knowledge of how one or the other is constructed,somehow,were able to develop a process by which they'the male and female"would be able to insure the continuation of the human species,which occurs when the chromosoms (sperm of the male fertilizes the chrosomes"egg'' of the female
You keep trying to throw the word "create" around. Let us say how did the male and female evolve. Asexual reproduction was on a single cell level so as life evolved in to more complex organisms a male and female where needed to combine the DNA to form more complex life.
Q has explained this to you many times but you just can not grasp the idea's and concepts.
Oh, you got me, I misspelled a word WOW and blow me

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98813 Apr 6, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Sure thing, glad you asked.

So if you are asking me literally what I now about God the answer is nothing. I don't believe in God, never seen a God, and since there is no record of anyone else ever seeing a God I can't really answer the question. If God exists then he either only shares information about himself with people privately and never allows himself to be observed or verified or he is absolutely outside of our reality.

Now, if you are asking me about my personal experience and knowledge about religion I do have some. I got saved when I was a lad and it was a terrifying experience. I spent a few years worrying about Hell then went through a short Jesus phase. Then all of that stuff quickly started to fall away and by the time I was 35 I was calling myself an atheist. I don't think I ever really believed. Some atheists did believe very strongly before losing their faith. I never did. I could never get past certain problems with religion.

For example, I could not accept that God is good and that he sends people to Hell. It made no sense to me even as a teenager. As I got older I started to expand that thought and I realized that a world in which kids can suffer painfully and die is not a world in which a loving God exists.

End of story for me.

But I have a really strong interest in religious beliefs, skepticism, and science. So I am fairly well versed in the various religions. Particularly the Christian sects since that is my heritage.

Now, if I was going to look for God I really have no idea how I'd go about doing that. I'm a naturalist. I don't do the whole praying thing and I don't do faith. If God doesn't have the common decency to leave me some overt and unambiguous evidence that he in fact does exist then I have no real way to ever find him. And it strikes me as a little dubious that he would create me with a rational mind that he knows will seek evidence, then provide me with no evidence.

Test of faith? Without some kind of firm evidence which faith am I to accept as the true one? Billions of people accept faiths other than Christianity with just as much passion and sincerity. How do I know they aren't the true ones?

There is no way to test for God. It is a magical idea that is not in the domain of nature and therefore outside of science. It is purely a matter of faith, not reason.

And that is why ideas such as Creationism are always rejected by science. They are also based on faith, not reason. Science is a product of reason. Faith is not in the recipe.
If you truly seek out God, you will find Him. The first step is admitting that there could be a creator. The second step is reaching out to Him while sincerely believing that if there is a God, you will receive some response that you know was outside yourself. Keep trying until your skepticism turns to hope. Then you will find God.
And if you aggressively search for what church you should join, you will be led to it.
Nothing will be handed to you on a silver platter. You will have to work for it. That's the point. He wants you to put forth all of your effort, and then He takes it from there.
Try this and you will surely find God.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98814 Apr 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Sidestep questions much? Killing to survive is different than a god demanding you kill for pleasure. But the question is why would your god need man to kill animals for blood ritual sacrifice???
He asked that they give Him their best sheep (or whatever animal) in similitude of the sacrifice that He would make with His own Son.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98815 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
GWB,My point is that,the theory of Evolution has been refuted.
To me,it is not valid,My belief in God,based on my Personal experiences,has convinced me that GOD DOES EXIST.,as I stated in a posting to SPECTACLES...Which,if you are interested in reading,should be about 4 or 5 posts before this one...
You have a blessed day
You lie like a christian. Evolution has not been refuted.
So your brain chemistry gives you a "high" when you get a religious fever now that is proof of your god ROTFLMFAO at you. You are a special kind of stupid arn't you. Here, let me misspell a word to make you feel better, dog
little women

Morehead, KY

#98816 Apr 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Sidestep questions much? Killing to survive is different than a god demanding you kill for pleasure. But the question is why would your god need man to kill animals for blood ritual sacrifice???
This in the King James bible Jeremiah chapter 7 veres 21 -23 - God did NOT tell them to sacrifice animals 22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98817 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
Hebrews 9:22
22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and fwithout the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98818 Apr 6, 2013
right wrote:
<quoted text>
This coming from a man who thinks his family-tree consists of a bunch of Apes !
Since it has been stated many times that we did not come from apes, rather we share a common ancestor with apes the fact that you keep trying to twist it around after you have been corrected so many times says more about you that us.
Your religion is so weak that you have to lie and keep coming back to non sense after you have been corrected.
Proof that you do not really believe in your god

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98819 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question,What do YOU know about GOD?
And,if you wanted to know if he existed or not,
How would you go about it?
And whatever method you chose,Why would you choose that particular method?
When you answer those questions,then I will be glad to have that discussion with you. That way .it will be a 2 sided discussion
Fair Enough?
I know that the god you are speaking of (one of over 2000 Gods ) was created by the Jewish people to elevate themselves above others and to justify their stealing, murder, perversion, hate.
I know that modern day christians have created another god that is totally different from their former god.
I know everything that I need to know and that is your god does not exist.
No one can KNOW about something that is not real.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98820 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
<quoted text>
What book are you getting your information on evolution from that is over a billion or even a million years old? Answer none. So for scientist to determine that something is a billion years old is preposterous.Evidence -there is nothing to compare it with. Just saying something is that old is not a scientific fact,where is the actual fossil,or etc. to compare the actual age with. The Bible actually tells of things happening thousands & thousands of years ago.(not just 2 thousand ,that was the time of which our lord Jesus came ). You are misinformed and confused,but no surprise,evolution has only been around a few hundred years or less. Evolution gives comfort to the feeble minded who fear death-thinking if they rule out god,they rule out hell . Some christians do not believe in hell either,but believe that the grave is hell,since they are forever separated from God.
Marval comics. Hey it is just as legitimate as your book

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98821 Apr 6, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
He asked that they give Him their best sheep (or whatever animal) in similitude of the sacrifice that He would make with His own Son.
Best answer so far and you did not try to twist things around. YOU may be the only christian here that truly believes in your god.
While we disagree I do respect that.
little women

Morehead, KY

#98822 Apr 6, 2013
Hosea-C 5 v 6: For I desired mercy ,and not sacrifice;and the knowledge of god more than burnt offerings .
sin

Sheridan, AR

#98823 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
Hosea-C 5 v 6: For I desired mercy.
...I think my grandmaw drove one of those too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Rogan - FOOL of the Week! (Mar '11) 3 min professional 18
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 4 min Jobs Lost 5,334
Alison Grimes, Not No, But Hell No! 4 hr Guru 132
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 4 hr Trouser Cough 21,049
Georgia Guidestones (Jan '13) 10 hr Son of God 2
Is Target really coming (Aug '08) 10 hr Buddah 44
Derek or Derrick he traveled building water tow... 10 hr smarterthanyou 1
•••
•••

Somerset Jobs