Walmart on Strike
Vote Gary Johnson

Esperance, NY

#1 Oct 12, 2012
It will be crushed

Atlanta, GA

#2 Oct 12, 2012
Any form of dissent at Walmart will be met with swift measures. That I will assure you. End of discussion!
well

Nicholasville, KY

#4 Oct 12, 2012
Corporate Headquarters need to train their Managers and Associate Managers the Respect to NOT engage in Retaliation techniques, NOT engage in Conversation that is negative, derogatory or personal opinion agianst any employee, nor engage in discrimination to personal preference of one employee over another. Managers are into retail for the paycheck just the same, and with that Bonuses to Managers is part of Cost Saving on Employee Sceduling and Payroll. The option Keep pay down, hire part time over full time, and scedule less hours yet keep the capability of job performance and duties being fullfilled. As a Retail Manager for years before retirement, I had the opportunity to Not only Hire and Train Staff, but to Hire Managers and Associate as well. The hardest part of the experiences was Training Managers and Associate Mangers to keep personal opinion and retaliation out of the workplace when dealing with Employees and Customers. As well as to Respect that Employees are who makes the Manager successful and the Company Profitable. To Put Employees above the "BONUS" rewards for being a Manager. Respect ALL Employees EQUALLY, and not play on discrimnation by personal opinion and action differences between employees. Walmart as well as all Retailer needs to take these steps to be a FAIR LABOR WORKPLACE.
It will be crushed

Atlanta, GA

#5 Oct 12, 2012
"Well" you sound more like a former employee who could not make it to the management level. If the movement gains strength; it will be crushed as there is no room for such foolish meaningless protests. Strikers will simply be replaced. You will all see.
zipyourlip

London, KY

#6 Oct 12, 2012
It will be crushed wrote:
"Well" you sound more like a former employee who could not make it to the management level. If the movement gains strength; it will be crushed as there is no room for such foolish meaningless protests. Strikers will simply be replaced. You will all see.
....maybe so, but it doesn't make it right. It's time for Walmart to pay their associates a living wage, and not expect the tax paying public to subsidize their workforce.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#7 Oct 12, 2012
They better not mess with my loafin' bench -
Grady

London, KY

#8 Oct 12, 2012
zipyourlip wrote:
<quoted text>....maybe so, but it doesn't make it right. It's time for Walmart to pay their associates a living wage, and not expect the tax paying public to subsidize their workforce.
Yeah because it is Wal-Mart's fault they are being subsidized.
Paul Revere

Somerset, KY

#9 Oct 12, 2012
zipyourlip wrote:
<quoted text>....maybe so, but it doesn't make it right. It's time for Walmart to pay their associates a living wage, and not expect the tax paying public to subsidize their workforce.
Says you.
Does Walmart have a right to run their company the way THEY see fit? Or should they be forced to conform to your Marxist vision of the way you think they should?
If you are hired as a part-time employee, why should you expect the same benefits as a full-time employee?
In the end, no one is forced to work anywhere, including at Walmart. You don't like the pay or hours or management, then move onto another position where you can be happier.
Why should the company change???
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#10 Oct 12, 2012
zipyourlip wrote:
Zip, I have mixed feelings about your comment. I do believe that everyone should have the opportunity to earn a living wage. but I don’t believe it should be a guarantee. There are far too many people in this country who don’t have the skills to do anything more than minimum wage jobs and are unwilling to make themselves more competitive in the job market. There are a lot of complaints from people who work for companies like Walmart, but lets face it, many of these people aren’t qualified to do other things. Personally, I don’t believe that someone who stocks shelves, bags groceries or spends their day saying “Welcome to Walmart” should receive the same salary as someone who does a skilled job. One of the great things about this country is that everyone has the same opportunity to succeed. They also, have the same opportunity to fail.

Level 8

Location hidden

#11 Oct 12, 2012
That's one picket line that I just gotta cross -Life without Wal-Mart would be rough -
well

Nicholasville, KY

#12 Oct 12, 2012
I started at the bottom and worked my way to the Corporate level, not Walmart. I am not saying that a strike is necessary, or that people should walk out before making every effort to "FIX" the problem. What I seen in many aspects of Retail on the local level of the Corporation was mangement/ employee clashes that was "not" to the best interest of the Business as a whole. People have a hard time "getting along" so to speak. I set up locations and construction sites for NEW RETAIL STORES for Shopko, Corporation (look them up and what they own). That job was to make the decisions of Location, Construction,Buyers and Vendor Communication, Management Hire and Training, Staff/Employee Hire and Training. And while at the Corporate Level there is much not known as for how a Local chain does business on a daily bases and the discrepancies that take place where as the Corporation does not agree to such policies...one being discrimination and favortism between Managers and employees. Pay scales are decided by the demographics of the area being compariable to the employability of an area, that being comparing pay scales to other local business.
Not all of Walmart Stores are having issues, this points to the assumption that Stores/Warehouse Operations on a local level is having Management/ Employee Issues that are not being addressed. What will Walmart Corporation do? They will send Corporate Level Human Resources to those areas, they will openly discuss those issues and a reasonable productive solution will occur...this being Management/ Employees work out the solution. Many times the Management will be relocated/ replaced to ensure that the success at a local level moves forward. I have seen many times that Corporations have to make choices as to whether leave the Store/Warehouse in question Open or Close it due to the issues being out of control or reachable to agreement.

Hope this helps you to know the term "disgruntled employee" doesn't happen unless there is a problem within the business, be it management or employee indifference.
well

Nicholasville, KY

#13 Oct 12, 2012
On a Corporate Level, the decision most likely will be that the Management will be replaced/ relocated. At times there is a RE-Training Process that Managers will be subject due to the efforts to work out a solution. It is easier for Managers to be relocated as to the problems that face the Corporation as a whole. Employees have thier jobs and during the "working on a solution", Walmart will not fire those employees but rather the employee as an individual will have a choice to return to work or they quit on their own terms. Walmart will let the individual employee make the choice.

Level 8

Location hidden

#14 Oct 12, 2012
On a busy day , there's 10 self serve checkouts and only 2 regular lanes open , so , how would one know iffen a Work Stoppage was actually takin' place ?-
It will be crushed

Atlanta, GA

#15 Oct 12, 2012
The numbers are in. The facts are what they are. The workers are going back to work as they were expected. Occupy Wallstreet low life need not mess with one of the most powerful machines in history2656. In the end, its not always about one's wants but rather the needs of those who have the authority to make decisions effectively.

Cool Hand Clem

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#16 Oct 12, 2012
You gotta point there.
zipyourlip

London, KY

#17 Oct 12, 2012
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
Says you.
Does Walmart have a right to run their company the way THEY see fit? Or should they be forced to conform to your Marxist vision of the way you think they should?
If you are hired as a part-time employee, why should you expect the same benefits as a full-time employee?
In the end, no one is forced to work anywhere, including at Walmart. You don't like the pay or hours or management, then move onto another position where you can be happier.
Why should the company change???
Walmart can run their company anyway they like, but should not expect taxpayers to subsidize their employees with EIC. Do you find it wise for Americans to receive more of a tax refund than they have paid into the Treasury in payroll taxes? How do you expect our government to ever balance budgets when people, who are low paid take more from the system than they are putting in? Sounds like a path to a right wing scam to make rich folks richer, and let middle class folks pay the tax subsidy. Stick your low prices where the sun doesn't shine, I'll take my business to a union shop, where it's work force is paid a living wage, and those workers contribute to the country, not take!....and the Walton heirs laugh all the way to the bank :)
Paul Revere

Somerset, KY

#18 Oct 13, 2012
Zippy, you seem to be obssessed by the whole "Walmart employees on EIC" thing. How many different ways do I have to explain part-time employment before it sticks? If you are trying to earn a living working a part-time job, you will most definately need assistance. When Walmart makes a job offer, they clearly explain that you will only work part time hours for $x.xx per hour. You can either accept the job or continue looking. Walmart is not REQUIRED to provide anyone a job.
And why the fascination with Walmart only? Are you saying only Walmart employees enrole in the EIC program? Surely there are other employers who offer part-time employment at minimum wage?

Personally, I find all of this quite ironic. Because according to the way the govt figures employment numbers...part time jobs are the SAME as fulltime jobs. This is why the real unemployment rate in the US is closer to 11%.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
eclipse glasses 1 hr Solar one 4
Grace Marie Martin has Warts 1 hr That_crazy 5
Big boobs are gross, who agrees? (Apr '09) 1 hr heckyea 261
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr so true 166,386
Question about UGN. (Nov '11) 2 hr left 7
Virgin Wanted 6 hr kitty kat slap 3
Sick of you John whang! 9 hr Timothy 5

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages