What do you think of the Tumbleweed R...

What do you think of the Tumbleweed Restaurant?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Madisonville, KY

#1 Apr 10, 2008
I've been there several times...but... it seems like if you go there through the week and not on the weekend you're getting poor service and, eww the food was, well... to be nice, I brought it home as dog food.(shutters) Finally, the majority of the servers that work there look like they all need haircuts, need to learn to dress and ummm... should keep their sexual orientation private and not broadcasts it to the entire restaurant.(I couldn't believe what one of the employees said to his "friends" at the table next to us!) I was really disappointed in my last visit. Was this an isolated event, or has anyone else experienced anything negative there?

“Gettin Better All The Time!”

Somerset, KY

#2 Apr 10, 2008
I think the food is average.

By Sexual orientation, Do you mean being "Gay"?

If so should only "Gay" people keep their Orientation "under the Table"? Maybe some of us should keep their Religion private as well.

We do not live in Cuba, you should not be racist about ones sexual orientation, Religion, Race and other things but I think we have alot of that going on in Somerset. If you dont like a place just don't go back and give them your money that is the best way to say what you have to say.

In Somerset because of the prohibition we cannot get decent places to come here so we get second rate palaces that cannot make it in the cities that have achohol. Learn to live with it until it goes wet.

“Quid Pro Quo”

Since: Apr 08

North of Lexington KY

#3 Apr 10, 2008
Hmmmmmm...Tumbleweed was unremarkable. This may describe most franchised restaurants in Somerset.

Madisonville, KY

#4 Apr 10, 2008
JerryMcquire wrote:
If so should only "Gay" people keep their Orientation "under the Table"? Maybe some of us should keep their Religion private as well.
We do not live in Cuba, you should not be racist about ones sexual orientation, Religion, Race and other things but I think we have alot of that going on in Somerset. If you dont like a place just don't go back and give them your money that is the best way to say what you have to say.
In Somerset because of the prohibition we cannot get decent places to come here so we get second rate palaces that cannot make it in the cities that have achohol. Learn to live with it until it goes wet.
No, when I said "sexual orientation, I meant "I preferred to NOT hear who the server gave a bj to." Thats what they were talking about. You know how they have the little "rooms" over to the right away from the open dining areas? Thats where I was. There was only us and one other group of people in there. The waiter was talking about his great sexual experience of giving and getting a bj. I had no desire to hear that. I wouldn't have wanted to hear that if it were a female talking about giving one. Thats totally inappropriate. You jumped the gun on that one. Secondly, I do not intend to go back... I only started this because as I said before I was just curious if it might have been a "bad night." I do not require a "drink" to find a good restaurant. I have been to several restaurants in town that have very good service and food- and obviously dont serve liquor. I prefer it that way- especially since most of the time I dine out I have my family with me. I just think the staff at Tumbleweed the other day was way out of line. I never even saw a manager until I was walking out the door- even though I requested one. Oh well.

Madisonville, KY

#5 Apr 10, 2008
JerryMcquire wrote:
Forgot to add... I wasn't being racists at all... perhaps you meant sexists, but even with that... I wasn't. I just felt the subject was a private one that should not have been discussed their. I don't openly talk about my sexual experiences in earshot of others, and feel that others should respect others and live by the same standards.
the man from uncle

Brownsville, TN

#6 Apr 10, 2008
I have gotten good food there before but the hired help looks like a freak show. They all dressed up for haloween and I think all they did was trade outfits and went as one another.
jim

Norfolk, VA

#7 Apr 10, 2008
the man from uncle wrote:
I have gotten good food there before but the hired help looks like a freak show. They all dressed up for haloween and I think all they did was trade outfits and went as one another.
LOL hillbilly goths.

“Gettin Better All The Time!”

Somerset, KY

#8 Apr 10, 2008
I am sorry. When someone says Sexual Orientation it most of them time means what they prefer. Males, Females, Both,None or other things.

I do agree he should not have been taking about his conquests like that in public. I just thought you were picking on him because he liked boys.
the man from uncle

Brownsville, TN

#9 Apr 10, 2008
I am sure it has hurt business there. I dont care if you want to be out of the mainstream but be prepared to suffer the consequences for you actions.

Out in the public you have to be held accountable to the court of popular opinion.

poor crazy people are just that>>>>>crazy
if you have money and crazy you are eccentric.

Madisonville, KY

#10 Apr 10, 2008
The way the help presents themselves seems like they are working in a tattoo shop. Im not prejudice at all... AND I'm not picking on tattoo shop employees. Its just the way these people dress and present themselves would be more acceptable somewhere like that. I think about places like the Golden Corral or Bob Evans. Now, Im not saying those restaurants are "hoity toity" :) places, but they are somewhat comparable in price. You would NEVER see servers dressing or acting like that in there. I just think it is an inappropriate way to be in a food establishment. The people working fast food dont even look like that. When I went there the other day my families meal was almost $70... I would have been more satisfied if we had went to Burger King. We wont be going back.
InNowhere

London, KY

#12 Apr 10, 2008
Tumbleweed HAS taken a noseward dive in the past year or so. It used to be that there were actual ADULTS that were serving there, and the managers were mostly older adults. Here recently they have hired assistant managers who aren't even of legal age to buy a drink if they wanted to, and most lack maturity and that shows. Then they get their younger frinds in there to work and it turns into a big party for the most part. Most of them seem too concerned about getting out of there in time to make it to the next big party going on that night. From what I hear though, most of the tumbleweeds are going out of bussiness anyway, so it may be a sinking ship if the higher ups don't see any point in enforcing the rules or making an impression. I refuse to eat there because the price doesn't compare to the quality of service and food there.

Madisonville, KY

#13 Apr 10, 2008
Here here! Thats exactly what Im talking about. The steak I ordered the other day LITERALLY tasted like it had ruined. Then...it had so much salt to disguise the "ruined taste" was much too overpowering. Heres the best part, my server came to the table and ever-so-enthusiastically said "Hey guys how is everything?" I very bluntly said, "This steak isnt fit to eat." I then told him EXACTLY what I said above. He looked at me like I had ask him to recite the Gettysburg Address. Then he clapped his hands together, and I swear he said, "Ummm, well, I guess... umm enjoy your other food." I was stunned that he acted so stupid. When he came back out later I asked for a manager. He said he would get her. After 20 minutes, she never arrived and I got ticked off, paid and left. I will never go back and I wouldnt suggest it to anyone. This is the exact way that restaurants lose business- simple word of mouth by other patrons. Restaurants need to put more emphasis on making the customer happy and not making a dollar.
InNowhere

London, KY

#14 Apr 10, 2008
I was a server many years ago when I was in school, and I know how demanding it can be, but there is NO excuse for what is goin on over there! It seems like no matter when you go service and food is bad. A few years ago it wasn't too bad, but a while back I went when it was busy and it wasn't up to par, so I thought I would try it on a slow night, no such luck then either, then I tried lunch...nope. I really try to be understanding when it comes to the food industry, but this is going too far, so IMO, 3 strikes and you're out. It's a shame too, being that Somerset is limited on "nice" places to go for dinner.
As far as managment goes, the time i went for dinner, the table next to me ordered a steak that wasn't cooked to their preference and the couple asked for it to just be refunded because they were going to a movie, the manager threw a hissy fit and refused to take it off their check because the lady had taken a bite from her steak! HELLO? How is someone supposed to know if it is cooked right if they don't cut it up? Maybe she thought she could just eat it and deal with it, but changed her mind. I know I like my steaks a nice medium and I can't chew them up if it is leathery, and I can think of a couple of times I have tried, only because I didn't want to bother with sending it back!
InNowhere

London, KY

#15 Apr 10, 2008
OOpps, sorry...I don't know why that posted twice.
vonnegutgirl

Somerset, KY

#16 Apr 27, 2008
While many of you make valid points as per the food quality and lack of service, one point has been made that i feel lacks validity.
In an establishment that requires a uniform, how exactly does one look like they belong in a 'freakshow'? I've worked in tattoo shops and restaurants. Tumbleweed employees do not dress like they work in a tattoo shop. Is someone trying to imply that tattooed people shouldn't have serving jobs? Or that tattooed people should have to wear long sleeves in summer heat (so that people can in turn go and say they're only wearing them to cover track marks)?
What is it exactly, in regards to appearances, that ruins a dining experience? Men having long hair? Girls with bright eyeshadow? A non-black belt?
I cannot think of a single dining experience I have had that has been ruined just because I didn't like my server's hairstyle or shoes.

Think back to when you worked a menial job, one where you had to wear the same thing day after day, where you had to suffer the indignities of having empty glasses shaken at you when you've got 15 pounds of empty plates in your arms, where you've been talked to like a dog over forgetting (like humans do from time to time) someone's third container of ranch dressing, where you've not been given the luxury of getting sick because you can't afford health insurance on $2.13 an hour, you've had to constantly watch out for children running willy-nilly because their parents are too busy talking about what they bought at wal-mart while you try to navigate your way to a table with hot plates, the cooks are yelling at you because you've brought food back that they didn't cook right in the first place.
Think back on a job you've had like that and cut them some slack on the uniform issue.
Playgirl

London, KY

#17 Apr 27, 2008
vonnegutgirl wrote:
While many of you make valid points as per the food quality and lack of service, one point has been made that i feel lacks validity.
In an establishment that requires a uniform, how exactly does one look like they belong in a 'freakshow'? I've worked in tattoo shops and restaurants. Tumbleweed employees do not dress like they work in a tattoo shop. Is someone trying to imply that tattooed people shouldn't have serving jobs? Or that tattooed people should have
to wear long sleeves in summer heat (so that people can in turn go and say they're only wearing them to cover track marks)?
What is it exactly, in regards to appearances, that ruins a dining experience? Men having long hair? Girls with bright eyeshadow? A non-black belt?
I cannot think of a single dining experience I have had that has been ruined just because I didn't like my server's hairstyle or shoes.
Think back to when you worked a menial job, one where you had to wear the same thing day after day, where you had to suffer the indignities of having empty glasses shaken at you when you've got 15 pounds of empty plates in your arms, where you've been talked to like a dog over forgetting (like humans do from time to time) someone's third container of ranch dressing, where you've not been given the luxury of getting sick because you can't afford health insurance on $2.13 an hour, you've had to constantly watch out for children running willy-nilly because their parents are too busy talking about what they bought at wal-mart while you try to navigate your way to a table with hot plates, the cooks are yelling at you because you've brought food back that they didn't cook right in the first place.
Think back on a job you've had like that and cut them some slack on the uniform issue.
Hmmmm....sounds like you, at one time, were a server at Frische's of Somerset.
vonnegutgirl

Somerset, KY

#18 Apr 27, 2008
Playgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmmm....sounds like you, at one time, were a server at Frische's of Somerset.
No, not at Frischs. The bulk of my restaurant experience comes from outside of Somerset. But these things are universal in the restaurant world.

Big Creek, KY

#19 Apr 27, 2008
I agree they should have a dress code, hair cut and business training on the job teach them how to act when in a business instead of talking about sexual stuff to friend on the job.
Grim Reaper

Somerset, KY

#20 Apr 27, 2008
I like the freak show! Very entertaining and I love the costumes they wear. Not many places that upscale in Somerset.
Krystals is best**** just stop and go, and it always taste the same. You can eat it now, and then again a couple of hours later.lol
TWISTA QUEEN

Toccoa, GA

#21 Apr 28, 2008
KyGirlyGirl wrote:
The way the help presents themselves seems like they are working in a tattoo shop. Im not prejudice at all... AND I'm not picking on tattoo shop employees. Its just the way these people dress and present themselves would be more acceptable somewhere like that. I think about places like the Golden Corral or Bob Evans. Now, Im not saying those restaurants are "hoity toity" :) places, but they are somewhat comparable in price. You would NEVER see servers dressing or acting like that in there. I just think it is an inappropriate way to be in a food establishment. The people working fast food dont even look like that. When I went there the other day my families meal was almost $70... I would have been more satisfied if we had went to Burger King. We wont be going back.
THE PRICES WERE PLAINLY POSTED ON THE MENU! IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT, DONT EAT THERE. NO ONE MADE YOU ORDER WHAT YOU DID DUMBASS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min Namu Myoho Renge Kyo 143,217
What's average pay for housecleaning? (Aug '11) 1 hr MamaB 40
Justice system corruption 2 hr maxpain78 2
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 6 hr Princess Hey 11,625
This or That? (May '11) 7 hr Princess Hey 1,591
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 8 hr Trouser Cough 28,034
News City moves forward with lawsuit against state a... 9 hr Martin 29
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages