Lesson Learned 1

Science Hill, KY

#43 Feb 5, 2012
Old Tea Bag wrote:
<quoted text>
Having something given to you makes you the RECIPIENT of charity. It doesn't mean you ARE one.
As for whether or not I would say what I've said here "in front of" that father? Sure I would. I'm honest and that's my take on things.
There must be a lot more people than I thought who enjoy getting a blank stare when you ask an employee a question, or who, when your question is finally answered you can't understand it because the person has such an extreme speech impediment.(Granted one runs into that stuff from "normal" people too sometimes.)
Shall I bother to bring up the one female Goodwill employee who would randomly hug people she didn't know? It sounds all cute I'm sure, but some of us really DO NOT want to be pawed while we shop...nah.
Some mentally ill people have the innocence of a child and are loving and some are slow to comprehend things. Still this doesn't mean that they should be in hiding and taught to be ashamed for being made the way they are. "Ole Tea Bag" you better take all the hugging you can get, a person would have to be mentally challenged [much worse than I am] to want to hug or PAW the likes of you. I would rather hug a cactus. I do respect you wanting your space, but there is no need to talk about people with severe mental illness and if they make you nervous, don't go to goodwill. Or go the other direction when you see them coming your way, but there is no excuse for constantly insulting them. They are ill, not by choice, it could happen to you and you could be the one groping at people. We never know what is in store for us. Life handed me things I would have never expected, the same could happen to you.
someone

Brownsville, TN

#44 Feb 27, 2012
i dont donate to goodwill i give my stuff to gods helping hands
poppy

Chicago, IL

#45 Feb 28, 2012
I have found alot of name brand clothing at good will.I have found. Lothing other wise I couldn't afford.as,with anything people are in controled will be,greedy and miss handled but I will give my stuff to them befote i will alot of oyher places.
Paul

Cottage Grove, MN

#46 Apr 22, 2012
Goodwill is one of the most profitable non-profit organizations in the US. Basically Goodwill is a scheme and an oil well of making money. They auction donated items on EBAY putting struggling small entrepreneurs out of business . Find some other places do donate your goods.
Goodwill is a-SCAM

Cape Coral, FL

#48 Aug 30, 2012
They make millions and it is "profit" not "non profit" you pay taxes at Goodwill so there must be profit on the sale, if you go to a thrift store i.e salvation army which is a NONPROFIT you dont pay taxe's. This is the only way you know from a non profit and a profit thrift/store. Goodwill should be sued "AGAIN" yes they have been sued before because they are freudulent! Another thing that pee's me off is that they make out they train workes how to run the store, it only takes a week! And then the workers only get minimum wage and if you ask for a pay rise you probably will get fired! Only way to stop Badwill is to stop donating and donate to proper cause's i.e cancer, heart, disabled, vetrans and people that need the money and dont pocket it like the BADWILL CEO'S

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#49 Aug 31, 2012
Goodwill in Somerset has gotten outrageous with their pricing in the last few years. Maybe a year or more ago, I found a small cast iron skillet there that I was interested in. It wasn't even an American made brand, plus it was in bad need of some sanding and a good seasoning. They wanted WAY too much for it and wouldn't budge on the price. I could have bought a brand new, American made skillet for what they were asking.

The Burnside Goodwill is a bit better, but I think their pricing is pretty much the same across the board... Burnside just rebuilt theirs within the last year, so it's cleaner and more organized.

STILL, I'm cautious about picking up bedbugs.... Everything that comes home here is either put into the dryer on high heat first, or it's put into a black garbage bag to bake outside in the sun for a day to kill off any hitch hikers... Just to be on the safe side, even leaving the store we'll tie the top of the plastic shopping bag TIGHT so nothing can get out into the car.

You never know if something will hitch a ride home with you, and that's not Goodwills fault. Not with the outbreak of bedbugs in the nation.
(Ewwww).
Makes you wonder if it's worth it, seriously.. That goes for yard sales as well..
what

Somerset, KY

#50 Aug 31, 2012
give your stuff to people directly, not to profit making groups that pay large salaries to upper management.

“oh heyy”

Level 3

Since: Jun 12

dayton

#51 Sep 4, 2012
i donated to gots helping hands they have chrismas gift thing for people who cant aford gifts for their kids iv donated expensive cloths iv got as gifts that just wont fit no more and they do do good iv goten a good matress from them.
Keenanv

Big Creek, KY

#52 Sep 4, 2012
The Clothing Center behind St Mildred's Church in Somerset is open mon/tues/thur's from 9:30 thru 11:30 a.m. They take in donated clothes. You can come once in a 60 day period and fill a 13 gallon plastic bag with clothes. Those wanting to donate clothes can if they wish list cloths on a sheet of paper with a price value so you can use this as a tax deduction when you file your taxes!
Anne

Lancaster, PA

#53 Sep 6, 2012
I have stopped donating 2 Goodwill an share what I know with everyone I can. Remember what goes around comes around. Those making a profit at expense of others will eventually get what's coming to them. KARMA's a &%#ге.
thrift store shopper

London, KY

#55 Jan 16, 2013
lingling wrote:
<quoted text>
A FEW ppl with disabilities...they get very minimal wage too, because they are already on SSD or SSI.
The ceo and other higher ups make in the six figures a year , they set their own salaries and call it non profit.I rather shop other thrift stores where u can find name brands without paying a new price for them .Last time i was in there they had a aeropostale hoodie and wanted over 12 dollars for it heck i can go down the road to burnside just past the goodwill store there
in the white building by shoppers paradise flea market and get brand new hollister , american eagle , aeropostale hoodies for 15 to 20 dollars some with 74.00 tags on them and all there jeans are just $5.00
curious

London, KY

#56 Jan 16, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Goodwill in Somerset has gotten outrageous with their pricing in the last few years. Maybe a year or more ago, I found a small cast iron skillet there that I was interested in. It wasn't even an American made brand, plus it was in bad need of some sanding and a good seasoning. They wanted WAY too much for it and wouldn't budge on the price. I could have bought a brand new, American made skillet for what they were asking.
The Burnside Goodwill is a bit better, but I think their pricing is pretty much the same across the board... Burnside just rebuilt theirs within the last year, so it's cleaner and more organized.
STILL, I'm cautious about picking up bedbugs.... Everything that comes home here is either put into the dryer on high heat first, or it's put into a black garbage bag to bake outside in the sun for a day to kill off any hitch hikers... Just to be on the safe side, even leaving the store we'll tie the top of the plastic shopping bag TIGHT so nothing can get out into the car.
You never know if something will hitch a ride home with you, and that's not Goodwills fault. Not with the outbreak of bedbugs in the nation.
(Ewwww).
Makes you wonder if it's worth it, seriously.. That goes for yard sales as well..
just curious if u Have u been to the new thrift store that opened up just past the Burnside Goodwill? it is well worth the drive going there they have awesome clothes and good prices for the quality clothes it is just open 3 or 4 days a week i think fri sat and sun for sure
my2cents

Somerset, KY

#57 Jan 20, 2013
Goodwill is a business for profit. They have never stated anywhere that they give items to people in need. They are a business, and if you don't want to donate to a business then don't. But I do wish people would understand the difference between a business and a charity. I wouldn't bother with the new store in front of the flea market. They do not honor what they posted. Said they would be open 8:30 Wednesday morning and they were not. I have been there several times and nobody is there. So I guess I will take my business elsewhere.
He Who Pees

Whitesburg, KY

#58 Jan 21, 2013
I think it's pretty stupid to donate to anything that makes a profit from your donations. Donate to a church or school.
gomer-ez

Somerset, KY

#59 Jan 22, 2013
I don't know which goodwill you went to.I went in the other to check the prices,and coats were $5.00 and shirts were $2.00.
I did not see any real junk.
As for the CEO remarks,He must be doing a pretty good job,by keeping the prices down.
gomer-ez

Somerset, KY

#60 Jan 22, 2013
He Who Pees wrote:
I think it's pretty stupid to donate to anything that makes a profit from your donations. Donate to a church or school.
And churches don't make a profit?
Big Earl

Whitesburg, KY

#61 Jan 22, 2013
gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
Not the ones I know, but if you see one making a profit off of donated goods, I'd say don't donate to them either
KELLERMAN

Huntsville, OH

#62 Jan 22, 2013
gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
In this economy the churches are the only ones making a profit. If one wishes to become wealthy this is the avenue to the riches. All one has to do is review the religious shows and see who's getting rich if you can handle the outrageous content.
gomer-ez

Somerset, KY

#63 Jan 22, 2013
KELLERMAN wrote:
<quoted text>In this economy the churches are the only ones making a profit. If one wishes to become wealthy this is the avenue to the riches. All one has to do is review the religious shows and see who's getting rich if you can handle the outrageous content.
What I wrote was a question,note the question mark.
Big Earl

Whitesburg, KY

#64 Jan 22, 2013
gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
What I wrote was a question,note the question mark.
Pretty sure he was just agreeing with you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 7 min Grimes works for ... 6,037
anyone know Michelle Roberts 1 hr noway 1
Islam- religion of peace? 2 hr Sur 13 Beat 38
kids in bars 3 hr soccer mom 2
2 BR house/trailer 3 hr working woman 1
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr SistaNoneYa 131,084
History of Marijuana in 4 .29 minutes 3 hr unhigh 4
•••
Somerset Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Somerset Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE