dont donate to goodwill
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Jun 9, 2011
You stupid redneck wrote:
<quoted text>
As a father of a mentally handicapped teenager I hope he never has to deal with idiots like you. Because you are not worth me
going to prison for. But if you ever made a comment about him or one of these other poor souls I would probably break your neck. They cannot help the way they are what is your excuse?
How sweet. Threats of violence. Makes us all feel warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't it?

I don't care that a person IS handicapped, I just don't want to have to deal with anyone who isn't qualified for the job they're doing.
i know

Chicago, IL

#24 Jun 9, 2011
Old Tea Bag wrote:
Here are a few thoughts about Goodwill and the people who complain about it. Be warned, I haven't had much sleep and I'm feeling bitchy.
For one, Goodwill is a STORE. It is not a charity. You can't ask them to "come down" on a price and expect them to do it any more than you would try that crap in JC Penny or Sears.
For another, Goodwill does hire disabled people and honestly I sometimes wish they wouldn't. I hate hate HATE trying to interact with a store employee who is very obviously mentally disabled and unable to help me. Those folks should work in the back, not up front with the customers.
Which brings me to my next gripe, that not all handicaps are physical and able to be noticed at a glance. Don't assume that the normal looking Goodwill employee doesn't have something wrong with them.
Stay away from the auctions. It's a rip-off and a scam. Period.
I'm going to repeat myself here, but this is something that needs to be said over and over for some people to get it---GOODWILL IS A STORE. IT IS NOT A CHARITY. If you have stuff to donate, by all means give to Goodwill but DO NOT expect to walk in there and just pocket whatever you want.
I hope this made sense.
you sure do have the right user name,goodwill sucks i used to donate to them never again,the main ones will take the good stuff for theirselves.they only sell the junk and way to high on that.and yes it is suppose to BE A CHARITY THEY GET THE THINGS GIVEN TO THEM.i dont think anyone wants to go in theare and pocket anything.you sound like one of the ones that is over it,if that is the case you have most likely already pocketed anything worth anything.and how dare you speak of the mentally handicapped that way.i would love to see you say something in front of that father.you are a mean ugly person.
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Jun 10, 2011
i know wrote:
<quoted text>...and yes it is suppose to BE A CHARITY THEY GET THE THINGS GIVEN TO THEM....and how dare you speak of the mentally handicapped that way.i would love to see you say something in front of that father.you are a mean ugly person.
Having something given to you makes you the RECIPIENT of charity. It doesn't mean you ARE one.

As for whether or not I would say what I've said here "in front of" that father? Sure I would. I'm honest and that's my take on things.

There must be a lot more people than I thought who enjoy getting a blank stare when you ask an employee a question, or who, when your question is finally answered you can't understand it because the person has such an extreme speech impediment.(Granted one runs into that stuff from "normal" people too sometimes.)

Shall I bother to bring up the one female Goodwill employee who would randomly hug people she didn't know? It sounds all cute I'm sure, but some of us really DO NOT want to be pawed while we shop...nah.
uncomfortable

Somerset, KY

#26 Jun 10, 2011
old tea bag it sounds to me like disabled people make you uncomfortable. and that is really sad. they cant help it if they are not like every one else. why be uncomfortable around any one who is a little different. that isnt a kind hearted way to be is it. would you want some one to turn away from your child if he had a mental handicap? i dont think so. it would hurt your feelings and break your heart. it would probly piss you off to. look at it that way and maybe you will change your mind huh?
Sara

London, KY

#27 Jun 10, 2011
have never had problem with them. got to give a warning though, wash every item of clothing you get because, believe me, my cousin, who is handicapped, works in one out of state and she says they do not wash the bundles at donation points, they only spray them sometimes.
Thats right

Somerset, KY

#28 Jun 11, 2011
Old Tea Bag wrote:
<quoted text>

Shall I bother to bring up the one female Goodwill employee who would randomly hug people she didn't know? It sounds all cute I'm sure, but some of us really DO NOT want to be pawed while we shop...nah.
You could be in an accident today and end up in the same condition she is in. Or, you could have been born that way. It certainly isn't her fault. Have a little compassion.
looking

Vicco, KY

#29 Jun 11, 2011
if it weren't for Goodwill, my daughter would not have had a beautiful prom dress. Yes I work, but at a job that pays not much above minimum wage and we are barely making it.

So while you idiots might be downing Goodwill, I'm thanking them. We brought the dress home which still had David's Bridal tags(($400+ dollar dress)) attached to it and it was spotless. She was complimented so many times that night and looked like a princess.
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#30 Jun 11, 2011
Again, I like to interract with people who know what they are doing. If they don't, they shouldn't be in that line of work. That goes for your average doofus as much as anyone else.

For what it's worth I like shopping at Goodwill. If something seems overpriced to me? I don't buy it.
You stupid redneck

Clarkson, KY

#31 Jun 11, 2011
Still I hope to have what you call a honest conversation with you one day.;) God has blessed you with though somewhat warped average I.Q. You seem to have no patience with those less able. Please inform me when you would like to have this honest talk about people like my son and how you should not be bothered by them and maybe just maybe I can TALK you into a more compassionate type of OLD TEA BAG. I will be waiting. To talk.
Randy

Wartburg, TN

#32 Jun 11, 2011
I buy all my clothes at
goodwill.

“Narcissistic misanthrope...”

Level 4

Since: May 11

Trollville

#33 Jun 13, 2011
I remember the prices going up around the time people like me started shopping there for vintage clothes to collect or alter. Call me hipster or whatever, but I wasn't the only one. I think they realized people with money were doing that, and they jacked up some prices.
Richmond's Goodwill isn't really like that. I think I bought four or five good tye-dyed shirts there for just a couple of bucks and most of the colthes were in really good shape as well...but who can afford to drive to Richmond?
Alex

Somerset, KY

#34 Jun 13, 2011
I had to do community service at goodwill when I was in high school, I worked there for nearly a month and I KNOW that a lot of the bad things that are being said about it on this thread are all lies...For one, they dont just help employ handicapped people they also help employ people who are struggling to live b/c they cant find jobs...

They DO NOT throw things in a landfill, the only things they throw away are things that are in very bad shape and cannot be sold...If you ever looked in the back room of that place you would know that!

You have to keep in mind that Goodwill is not a non profit organization, they do not take donations to keep their company running, they have to sell things to pay their bill and employees
mike

Carencro, LA

#35 Feb 4, 2012
goodwill is all about profit, not people. they wouldn't do anything unless there is something in it for them. one hell of a scam. the mafia of non-profit. the ceo's love it
Jungle

United States

#36 Feb 4, 2012
i know wrote:
<quoted text>you sure do have the right user name,goodwill sucks i used to donate to them never again,the main ones will take the good stuff for theirselves.they only sell the junk and way to high on that.and yes it is suppose to BE A CHARITY THEY GET THE THINGS GIVEN TO THEM.i dont think anyone wants to go in theare and pocket anything.you sound like one of the ones that is over it,if that is the case you have most likely already pocketed anything worth anything.and how dare you speak of the mentally handicapped that way.i would love to see you say something in front of that father.you are a mean ugly person.
They do take higher end items and they never get sold at the store. I had a first hand experience that ended up with me talking to the director. Some how all of a sudden they found the items the next day. I think one of the employees took the items home and was forced to bring them back.
Lesson Learned 1

Hazard, KY

#37 Feb 4, 2012
I donate to Goodwill, somebody is benefiting from it. If nobody else, the crowds of people that are coming and going in and out of it daily. The prices may seam too high but they have helped me clothe my two of my nephews since they were babies. That has been a great help to me knowing that they have clothes they need and to their parents who couldn't afford to buy for them.

I also buy for myself and my family. They employ the disabled who would otherwise have no chance to work and be exiled from working society. This is a great opportunity for them and I am glad there are businesses like this.

You should donate to a place you feel good about donating to. But if I didn't feel good about donating to Goodwill, I couldn't go into the stores and purchase things and come out complaining about the organization.
yeeeeeep

Barbourville, KY

#38 Feb 5, 2012
<quoted text>
As a father of a mentally handicapped teenager I hope he never has to deal with idiots like you. Because you are not worth me
going to prison for. But if you ever made a comment about him or one of these other poor souls I would probably break your neck. They cannot help the way they are what is your excuse?
Around here we gots disabled minds in government, ain't none left to wonder around smelly cloths.
beside they git a check already. livin off you kids check ain't ya
Lesson Learned 1

Hazard, KY

#39 Feb 5, 2012
<quoted text>

I am sorry to hear about your son, I know how they get labeled and treated. I was hospitalized for my bi-polar illness once and there was a person standing off from me that was in much worse shape that I was. I wasn't paying attention to the distance between us until she looked at me and said, "Don't worry, it's not catching." Thank goodness ignorance isn't either.

“laugh more”

Level 3

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#40 Feb 5, 2012
Old Tea Bag wrote:
Again, I like to interract with people who know what they are doing. If they don't, they shouldn't be in that line of work. That goes for your average doofus as much as anyone else.
For what it's worth I like shopping at Goodwill. If something seems overpriced to me? I don't buy it.
Goodwill is noted for hiring handicapped people. You are aware of this if you don't wish to interact with them why go to Goodwill? Goodwill serves a purpose maybe everyone don't believe in it. If that's the case then don't donate there. There are plenty of other good places to donate. There is no charity that can give back 100% of what is given. I too have in the past heard what the CEO of Goodwill makes and have looked it up on watchdog groups sites. I don't wish to look for it right now but his wage is comparable to CEOs of other charities of that size.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#41 Feb 5, 2012
Donate to the mission store down by the 1st bridge toward Burnside -
Lesson Learned 1

Hazard, KY

#42 Feb 5, 2012
Knowitall9 wrote:
Donate to the mission store down by the 1st bridge toward Burnside -

I have had a bad experience with them too. Not the store, but the pole in front of it. It refused to move when I was backing up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 min CCR 165,617
Big boobs are gross, who agrees? (Apr '09) 45 min Donnie 131
North 27 cigarettes 1 hr Wondering 8
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr Rickster-- 36,548
Pilgrim John whang 2 hr Brian v 14
Restaurants that take EBT cards "foodstamps" (Feb '11) 5 hr usuk 1,052
best lay at beecher house? 5 hr Forsure 4

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance