dont donate to goodwill

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
exemployee

London, KY

#1 Jun 5, 2011
Don't donate to Goodwill. They say they help people who are disabled get jobs. When you visit the store, look around, how many disabled individuals do you see? If you look at how upper management lives, you will see who is reaping the benefits from your generosity. Check out the I-9 on Goodwill's website, which is mandatory public knowledge. Check out what the CEO makes, as well as several other positions that are posted. I think you might get a little pissed.

There are some very good charities out there, Salvation Army or your local churches. Goodwill sounds good, but it's all a smoke screen!
I saw first hand what it's about.

“Narcissistic misanthrope...”

Level 4

Since: May 11

Trollville

#2 Jun 5, 2011
Already figured that one out! i'm not donating to a place that sells old clothes for the same prices you can find new ones on sale.

“Back in "Black"”

Since: Jul 10

Unknown

#3 Jun 6, 2011
Oreeallly wrote:
Already figured that one out! i'm not donating to a place that sells old clothes for the same prices you can find new ones on sale.
And they are given money by the government also
justme

Irvine, KY

#4 Jun 6, 2011
i agree, ppl should donate to the churches instead. goodwill wants too much for their junk, they had crap in there for $50 that i wouldn't give $5 for lol...and some goodwills actually do help disabled ppl get jobs, i have been in a few north of somerset and they was a woman in a wheelchair with t-rex arms working the register..and then at another one the guy putting stuff away was obviously mental, and the girl working the register at that one was slow..
imatrader

United States

#5 Jun 6, 2011
I agree,goodwill is a joke. Has any of you ever ask them if they will take less for a pair of jeans or shirt? let me tell you they wont take a nickel less on anything. Did you know the people that work the stores get first pick? also i knew a preacher that worked at goodwill he had 30 pair of cowboy boots at his home said they all came from goodwill. i asked him if he could spare a pair he said no i collect them.. now honestly this is overboard but true donate to churches or just ask a friend if they know a really needy family . or watch out in the news for victims of fire or flood losses. god bless
who wants to know

Sikeston, MO

#6 Jun 7, 2011
There are other consignment shops you could donate to, the one by big lots, or the one near eagle heights, both shops help support local churches/causes. Also Bethany house is a good place for anything women and children related.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#7 Jun 7, 2011
Google "Goodwill complaints". You might be surprised at what you find. Personally, I'd donate someplace where I was certain about where the proceeds where going to end up.. I'd try to make reasonably sure that the profit wasn't going into someones greedy hands.
Thats right

Somerset, KY

#8 Jun 7, 2011
exemployee wrote:
Don't donate to Goodwill. They say they help people who are disabled get jobs. When you visit the store, look around, how many disabled individuals do you see? If you look at how upper management lives, you will see who is reaping the benefits from your generosity. Check out the I-9 on Goodwill's website, which is mandatory public knowledge. Check out what the CEO makes, as well as several other positions that are posted. I think you might get a little pissed.
There are some very good charities out there, Salvation Army or your local churches. Goodwill sounds good, but it's all a smoke screen!
I saw first hand what it's about.
I don't know who gets paid what, or anything about upper management, but I personally know quite a few people with disabilities who work there.

“What's left to defend?”

Level 6

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#9 Jun 7, 2011
Most of what you leave at goodwill goes to the landfill, and i would bet that the government pays for that to happen.
i know

Saint Augustine, IL

#10 Jun 7, 2011
i donate to sister marty,ppl in need get to pick out clothes for free.
lingling

London, KY

#11 Jun 7, 2011
Thats right wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know who gets paid what, or anything about upper management, but I personally know quite a few people with disabilities who work there.
A FEW ppl with disabilities...they get very minimal wage too, because they are already on SSD or SSI.
lingling

London, KY

#12 Jun 7, 2011
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
Google "Goodwill complaints". You might be surprised at what you find. Personally, I'd donate someplace where I was certain about where the proceeds where going to end up.. I'd try to make reasonably sure that the profit wasn't going into someones greedy hands.
Yes...check out their auction site...all the 'good' things go there, and usually the high-priced stuff in the store, is leftover junk, or something that wouldn't sell on the auction site!
A family, from the Somerset area, donated a lot of stuff about 2 years ago, when moving...a very few months later, they lost everything in a fire...yep...Goodwill helped them with NOTHING!!

“If brains were dynamite you ”

Level 3

Since: May 11

couldnt blow your nose

#13 Jun 7, 2011
There are complaints about the other nonprofits in town as well. Its so hard to find a place that is honest any more.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

#15 Jun 8, 2011

“SINNER”

Level 8

Since: Mar 11

Iron Sharpeneth Iron

#16 Jun 8, 2011
GodSmacked wrote:
http://video.google.com/videop lay?docid=8797525979024486145 &q=Michael+C.+Ruppert& hl=en
Hello!

How has your day been in sunny FL.?

Visit our thread again sometime!

WAAT
i know

Griffith, IN

#17 Jun 8, 2011
the donation center she started is still open,or it was about 4 months ago.do you know were sister marty went?she is a very good lady.
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Jun 8, 2011
Here are a few thoughts about Goodwill and the people who complain about it. Be warned, I haven't had much sleep and I'm feeling bitchy.

For one, Goodwill is a STORE. It is not a charity. You can't ask them to "come down" on a price and expect them to do it any more than you would try that crap in JC Penny or Sears.

For another, Goodwill does hire disabled people and honestly I sometimes wish they wouldn't. I hate hate HATE trying to interact with a store employee who is very obviously mentally disabled and unable to help me. Those folks should work in the back, not up front with the customers.

Which brings me to my next gripe, that not all handicaps are physical and able to be noticed at a glance. Don't assume that the normal looking Goodwill employee doesn't have something wrong with them.

Stay away from the auctions. It's a rip-off and a scam. Period.

I'm going to repeat myself here, but this is something that needs to be said over and over for some people to get it---GOODWILL IS A STORE. IT IS NOT A CHARITY. If you have stuff to donate, by all means give to Goodwill but DO NOT expect to walk in there and just pocket whatever you want.

I hope this made sense.

Level 1

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#19 Jun 9, 2011
<snip.GOODWILL IS A STORE. IT IS NOT A CHARITY,</snip>

This is the number one thing to bare in mind. Some charities have bigger organizations than others. And people have to administer them. Ever look at the March of Dimes hierarchy? Many charities are not really different than any business. They strive to run at a profit then use said profit to help fund the charity.

Now I'm not saying that it's a bad thing to disagree with this practice and there are charities that use more of the donated funds to directly fund the charity. It's your right to be in control of how your money is spent after all. And it is a very good thing to know how a given charity uses their donation money. Some are pretty close to a scam in my opinion.

Goodwill industries is just that, an industry. They have many people working for them in many capacities. So they have to generate more than yard sale prices on their goods. Is it too much? That's for you to decide. Nothing, even at Goodwill is worth more than you are willing to spend for it. But bare in mind. That ...Whatever you buy is more than a donation. It helps fund an organization that does more than just take your stuff and sell it. Trucks, fuel, and people working at all levels of the organization. need paid too. It's a non profit business, but a business still the samne

There's always the Salvation army too. Though they run in much the same way.

“The Topix Legend of "GS8"!”

Since: Sep 10

Yunited States, North America

#20 Jun 9, 2011
We Are Almost There wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello!
How has your day been in sunny FL.?
Visit our thread again sometime!
WAAT
Very hot. How are you?
You stupid redneck

Manchester, KY

#21 Jun 9, 2011
Old Tea Bag wrote:
Here are a few thoughts about Goodwill and the people who complain about it. Be warned, I haven't had much sleep and I'm feeling bitchy.
For one, Goodwill is a STORE. It is not a charity. You can't ask them to "come down" on a price and expect them to do it any more than you would try that crap in JC Penny or Sears.
For another, Goodwill does hire disabled people and honestly I sometimes wish they wouldn't. I hate hate HATE trying to interact with a store employee who is very obviously mentally disabled and unable to help me. Those folks should work in the back, not up front with the customers.
Which brings me to my next gripe, that not all handicaps are physical and able to be noticed at a glance. Don't assume that the normal looking Goodwill employee doesn't have something wrong with them.
Stay away from the auctions. It's a rip-off and a scam. Period.

I'm going to repeat myself here, but this is something that needs to be said over and over for some people to get it---GOODWILL IS A STORE. IT IS NOT A CHARITY. If you have stuff to donate, by all means give to Goodwill but DO NOT expect to walk in there and just pocket whatever you want.
I hope this made sense.
As a father of a mentally handicapped teenager I hope he never has to deal with idiots like you. Because you are not worth me
going to prison for. But if you ever made a comment about him or one of these other poor souls I would probably break your neck. They cannot help the way they are what is your excuse?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 1 hr Honest Babe 11,614
4 word game (Jan '09) 1 hr Honest Babe 2,256
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Mickey402 143,165
somerset karate academy (Mar '10) 3 hr Willow 35
adoption in Pulaski ky 4 hr Been there 3
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 6 hr positronium 28,014
Dead beat Renters 6 hr jonathan 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages