First Prev
of 3
Next Last
MMXII

Manchester, KY

#1 Aug 24, 2012
The one time famous Holsomback Restaurant is back. The restaurant opens this Friday evening and all day Saturday for the Cruise.
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#2 Aug 24, 2012
For those of us who may not know of this "once famous" restaurant, any additional information would be welcome. Particularly, location, type of food served, previous reputation and why they closed. I for one welcome all new or reinvented restaurants -- if the food is good, that is.
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#3 Aug 24, 2012
holsombacks is not new. just absent for a while. welcome back to somerset tradition
agatha

Somerset, KY

#4 Aug 24, 2012
Served little burgers and chille. There use to be a thread on topix about holsombacks.
Ehh

Versailles, KY

#5 Aug 24, 2012
Never cared for the food there much at all... Was my understanding it was some depression era recipe for burgers.... something like a 5 pound roll of hamburger + a giant box of instant mashed spuds. Wish them luck though.

Level 4

Since: Jun 12

Brownsville, TN

#6 Aug 24, 2012
At one time that place had decent enough food. Was known locally for having really good small sized hamburgers that were made with hamburger meat and crackers or something as a filler. They tasted a little different than a white castle for example and people around here loved them because of the unique taste and the cheap price.

The last time I ate there it was fairly expensive and to be honest a little nasty. The place looked run down and very dirty. The entire preperation area looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while. The food was overcooked and not up to what I remembered it to be when I was a kid.

If they are committed to good food & decent prices I am all for it and wish them well. If not let them close and be done with it, even if a bit of Somerset's history has to die with it.

I will give them another chance either way, hope they are good again. Cheers!
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#7 Aug 24, 2012
is it opeing tonight?? what time?? i went there today and didnt look like it was close to opening

“Enjoying Life's Mishaps”

Level 7

Since: Dec 09

Lost in Time

#8 Aug 24, 2012
Is it in the same location it has always been?
Old timer

Manchester, KY

#9 Aug 24, 2012
Are they going to serve beer?

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#10 Aug 24, 2012
I'll have 6 with everything , a cold RC , and some Rolaids - Love them thangs , iffen they still got the '70's prices -

“Kiss me I'm Irish”

Level 8

Since: Jan 09

KY Pineywoods

#11 Aug 24, 2012
manfromthewest wrote:
is it opeing tonight?? what time?? i went there today and didnt look like it was close to opening
Bring me 2 or 3 mftw and a couple of tums.lol
helping

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2012
Where are they located?

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#13 Aug 25, 2012
helping wrote:
Where are they located?
Original place , on S.Maple , between Mt. Vernon & Market -Next to the Co. Attorneys office -
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#14 Aug 25, 2012
gonna do lunch there monday.. yummy
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Aug 25, 2012
I've been there. It used to be one of my dad's favorite restaurants long ago, but he said that it had changed a lot since.

The burgers smell like white castles, but they're tasteless and overcooked. Filling, but not worth it in my opinion.
fyi

Harrison, AR

#16 Aug 25, 2012
Lynn's Lunchbox?
Get real

Foster City, CA

#17 Aug 25, 2012
Anyone remember Handy Andy's burgers? Always thought they were much better than Holsombacks.
Westwood

London, KY

#18 Aug 25, 2012
Get real wrote:
Anyone remember Handy Andy's burgers? Always thought they were much better than Holsombacks.
Handy Andy's, Crystal Kitchen, Upper and lower pool rooms. That was good eatin'.
Der Schreiber

Manchester, KY

#19 Aug 25, 2012
This is the 6Th or 7Th resurrection of this Depression era greasy spoon. Hope Dough Holsomeback does well with this ôLast Hurrah."
TherealBob

Big Creek, KY

#20 Aug 25, 2012
Jewels was far superior.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 7 min The Apostle 5,091
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 13 min Hatti_Hollerand 21,007
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 22 min Mike Duquette 131,046
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 35 min BIG_STEVIE 26,276
Word Association (Feb '09) 3 hr Jennifer Renee 11,554
Beards... beards everywhere! 4 hr reeper 15
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 7 hr Trouser Cough 10,320
Mr.Moore Principal At Ferguson School (Sep '08) Sep 15 Knowitall9 6,134
•••
•••

Somerset Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE