Science Hill School eliminating all s...

Science Hill School eliminating all sports next year?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GoForIt

East Bernstadt, KY

#1 Jan 19, 2013
Word is out that Science Hill will not have any sport teams next year. Walker says insurance does not cover students from other schools so only intramural a will be offered.
lmao

Gary, IN

#2 Jan 19, 2013
about time. who cares about elementary school sports? isn't little league supposed to cover these age groups?
will be ex student

Somerset, KY

#3 Jan 20, 2013
They are also a middle school. Walker has been working toward this for the past three years when he done away with football. Test scores dropping every year may be time for school board to get rid of him.
Nothing amazes me

London, KY

#5 Jan 25, 2013
will be ex student wrote:
They are also a middle school. Walker has been working toward this for the past three years when he done away with football. Test scores dropping every year may be time for school board to get rid of him.
If middle school sports were enhanced, wouldn't have to worry about out of district students. Science Hill loses a lot of in-district students when they become middle school age. He is more interested in carrying a certain student's books to class and allowing her to play with his I-phone in the cafeteria although other students are not allowed electronics.
Sad days

London, KY

#6 Jan 25, 2013
Thats a shame basketball was a bit of a tradition when I went there. I can not believe the test scores are getting bad! It was one of the best schools in the state during my years there.
Megan

Hazard, KY

#7 Jan 25, 2013
Did the school change insurance companies or just opt out of that option? I wonder how Pulaski & Somerset schools are able to play sports in Middle school then.
To be totally honest though - this school has been going downhill since Walker walked through the doors. I can not believe the board has allowed this man to ruin all the wonderful traditions of this school.
Very glad to be done with this school.
Watcher

Harrison, AR

#8 Jan 25, 2013
I must admit education is much more important than sports and Kentucky is failing badly.
Funny

Corbin, KY

#9 Jan 25, 2013
Aside from Walkers lack of leadership, the teachers continue to provide students with excellent academic opportunities. Perhaps, much of his energy is expended in the Burnside area.
No Surprises

Mount Vernon, KY

#10 Jan 25, 2013
It seems like the reoccurring problem here is.....Walker. He is an embarrassment to the community. Surely this will be his last contract. Gotta agree with all of this....the teachers and staff go above and beyond for their students.....he goes above and beyond for "his" student.
user-friendly

Fond Du Lac, WI

#11 Jan 25, 2013
Whatever happend to "no child left behind "? Does it pertain to sports?
Billy the Kidd

Princeton, IN

#12 Jan 26, 2013
Science Hill claims it plans to become a high school in the next few years. To do that they need to develop a loyal following. This won't help that. It is true sports do not replace academics, but the two can coexist very well. Look at Trinity, St. Xavier, Highlands, Beechwood, Sayre, Lex. Christian, Lex. Catholic, Richmond Model, etc. They are the top high schools in the state. They have outstanding sports teams and outstanding academics, not to mention outstanding test scores and college admittance to the top colleges in the country. So Science Hill should be strengthening, not abandoning, its sports program. This is a serious mistake.
missing

Manchester, KY

#13 Jan 27, 2013
Billy the Kidd wrote:
Science Hill claims it plans to become a high school in the next few years. To do that they need to develop a loyal following. This won't help that. It is true sports do not replace academics, but the two can coexist very well. Look at Trinity, St. Xavier, Highlands, Beechwood, Sayre, Lex. Christian, Lex. Catholic, Richmond Model, etc. They are the top high schools in the state. They have outstanding sports teams and outstanding academics, not to mention outstanding test scores and college admittance to the top colleges in the country. So Science Hill should be strengthening, not abandoning, its sports program. This is a serious mistake.
You list all of these high schools but, the are privte schools (Not sure about Beechwood) that have large sources of $$$ besides the high tuition that is charged. If they need $$$ for sports, they get it from donations. Not sure how that system would work around here.
missing

Manchester, KY

#14 Jan 27, 2013
oops...Private :) Also, there is a lot more population around these schools. More of a talent pool for sports.
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#15 Jan 27, 2013
Watcher wrote:
I must admit education is much more important than sports and Kentucky is failing badly.
grades failing in kentucky because of kera. and takeing God out of the schools.. kera failed in california and it has failed here. we are turning out graduates not prepared for college and life. it is a shame
Ridiculous

Somerset, KY

#16 Jan 27, 2013
manfromthewest wrote:
<quoted text>
grades failing in kentucky because of kera. and takeing God out of the schools.. kera failed in california and it has failed here. we are turning out graduates not prepared for college and life. it is a shame
What you really mean is they took christianity out of the schools, which I believe is a good thing. Give equal time to all religions or not at all.
ScienceHillRes

Hazard, KY

#17 Jan 27, 2013
Billy the Kidd wrote:
Thats just something they list in their state planning. A high school in Science Hill is not practical and even if it were, they lack anything resembling leadership to get it done.
ScienceHillRes

Hazard, KY

#18 Jan 27, 2013
No Surprises wrote:
It seems like the reoccurring problem here is.....Walker. He is an embarrassment to the community. Surely this will be his last contract. Gotta agree with all of this....the teachers and staff go above and beyond for their students.....he goes above and beyond for "his" student.
In order to get rid of him,(something that should have been done long ago), you need a board with a spine. We had a perfect chance this last election and the people of Science Hill blew it. Community needs to wake up and see what that joke of a "leader" has done to our school and community.
parent

London, KY

#20 Jan 27, 2013
Science hill should first be worried about the money they will be losing ($83,500) from students that are out of district. Pulaski is getting ready to revoke the contract that allows 172 students from their district to attend Science Hill School. They propose that only 150 be allowed to attend SHS. This would result in the loss of $83, 500 because for each student the state allows $3800/child. The Pulaski board has stated in writing in the Commonwealth Journal that they have not had clear communication with Walker. Where IS THE BOARD??? Should someone not be attending the Pulaski Board Meetings? Walker has been invited and hasn't shown. For the record the meetings are open to the public. I don't always agree with Walkers hand off approach to leadership, but this is definitely not the time to have that approach. Hands off in this instance will cost the district the amount of money that almost supports 2 teachers salaries! Those in district people who thinks they won't be affect are wrong, because the loss of 2 teachers will affect all the students with increased class sizes and mixed classes again. Losing money loses programs that effect all the students...
science hill parent

Mount Vernon, KY

#25 Jan 27, 2013

I believe the test scores have improved during his tenure there. The school was 10th in the state when he took over and has improved rank up to 2nd highest in the state in the last couple of years. The school also has great administration and teachers.
science hill parent

Mount Vernon, KY

#26 Jan 27, 2013
Sad days wrote:
Thats a shame basketball was a bit of a tradition when I went there. I can not believe the test scores are getting bad! It was one of the best schools in the state during my years there.
Basketball is still a big part of the Science Hill culture and tradition! The test scores are not getting bad and it is still one of the best schools in the state!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Harris stole county funds in the years he ... 49 min Experience talks 30
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr know 152,025
did jimmy cook get charged for molesting his so... 6 hr OMG 10
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 6 hr Hatti_Hollerand 32,758
Anyone know Laura Baker/Laura Phelps 7 hr Looking 4
Trying to find Eric Jenkins 9 hr PC girl 33
Chris Daniels cheating on his wife 9 hr Me over here 4

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance