has the Golden Age of America passed
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22 Nov 30, 2013
Time2Worry wrote:
<quoted text>
China owns most of our external debt.
So? Don't get pissed at China because we owe them money. That would be the politicians decision.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#23 Dec 1, 2013
Vote Libertarian wrote:
The America of my youth is gone and those to blame are in Congress. They take our taxes and give it to megacorporations and call it subsidies. Those corporations in turn give it back to the politicians as campaign contributions in return for legislation that leaves the corporations blameless for destroying the planet with stuff like clear cutting public land and mountain top removal, and blameless for cheating their workers out of promised pensions to keep afloat bankers and investment firms that are supposedly, "too big to fail," and for legislation that hinders the little guy but from which the corporations are exempt, like the National Animal Identification System that McConnell and W steamrolled through the USDA without any public comment.
America of the Golden Years would have let failures fail. It would have protected our parks our national treasures. It would have maintained our infrastructure.
We need to get rid of congress starting with getting rid of Mitch McConnell. He didn't become a millionaire on frugal living. When others were worried about losing their houses he voted himself a pay raise.
Americans however are too lazy to vote him out. They're too lazy to even vote. Only 1/3 of eligible voters show up. They want their cable TV and their glittery movie stars and their beauty products. They sit back and watch their reality TV and say, "The system is rigged, so why even try?" They could make a difference if they just once every 2 years got off the couch and voted for someone from outside the corrupt system
Wow, where have you been? Brilliant post. I couldn't agree more, and I voted Libertarian for the first time this past presidential race. I've never voted for the duopoly, but Gary Johnson was the first Libertarian I ever voted for.

The system is rigged, but if, as you said, people would actually get out and vote third party instead of sitting around complaining, a difference could be made. They have the debates rigged, the media in their pocket, and more money. That said, if the average voter would just educate themselves instead of worrying about American Idol, and got out and voted for REAL change, we might be able to turn the tables....

VOTE THIRD PARTY/INDEPENDENT.
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#24 Dec 1, 2013
JumperJuice wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, where have you been? Brilliant post. I couldn't agree more, and I voted Libertarian for the first time this past presidential race. I've never voted for the duopoly, but Gary Johnson was the first Libertarian I ever voted for.
The system is rigged, but if, as you said, people would actually get out and vote third party instead of sitting around complaining, a difference could be made. They have the debates rigged, the media in their pocket, and more money. That said, if the average voter would just educate themselves instead of worrying about American Idol, and got out and voted for REAL change, we might be able to turn the tables....
VOTE THIRD PARTY/INDEPENDENT.
I don't support or reject a candidate based on his/her party and that includes third party candidates. I vote the person, not the party. Also, I don't believe in spoiler votes which have nothing to do with winning. They are only about bad blood between two people from the same party. Usually because one received the party's nomination over the other. Some people vote along party lines because of tradition. Others because it's too much effort to do the homework so they can make an informed decision. However, that doesn't mean that the system is rigged. It just means we have a lazy/complacent electorate.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#25 Dec 1, 2013
Tough Love wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't support or reject a candidate based on his/her party and that includes third party candidates. I vote the person, not the party. Also, I don't believe in spoiler votes which have nothing to do with winning. They are only about bad blood between two people from the same party. Usually because one received the party's nomination over the other. Some people vote along party lines because of tradition. Others because it's too much effort to do the homework so they can make an informed decision. However, that doesn't mean that the system is rigged. It just means we have a lazy/complacent electorate.
The duopoly offers the same ol same ol.....EVERY YEAR: CORRUPTION.

I DO the homework. As I said, this was my first Libertarian vote. I've voted for independents, the Green and Reform Parties, and written in candidates such as Daffy Duck. I will NEVER vote for ANY "candidates" the duopoly sends, never. I sleep well at night, knowing I'm doing my part to remove the corruption. Democrats and Republicans have had 200+ years in power, look what it's gotten us. It's time to move on to forward, independent, free thinkers. Not lackeys committed to some bull**** partisan line and the incessant bickering. I have my ideas what the bickering is REALLY about, but that's another thread.

As for the system not being rigged, why does the duopoly control the Debate Commission? Why after Perot's successful debate in '92, did the Debate Commission change the rules? Why wouldn't they let Ralph Nader attend in '04, why was Jill Stein arrested tbis past election for trying to attend? Don't talk to me about issues and which candidate best represents me, because I can flat tell ya......NO CANDIDATE from the duopoly represents me. If you're honest with yourself, you'll acknowledge they don't represent you either.

REMOVE THE DUOPOLY.....the corporate lapdogs.
Yes it is

Somerset, KY

#26 Dec 1, 2013
To answer your question, " has the Golden Age of America passed " the answer is a simple YES ! America is now in a constant state of decay and it appears it is going to continue. As for the reason or reasons for this, well everyone has their own thoughts on this issue.
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#27 Dec 2, 2013
JumperJuice wrote:
<quoted text>
The duopoly offers the same ol same ol.....EVERY YEAR: CORRUPTION.
I DO the homework. As I said, this was my first Libertarian vote. I've voted for independents, the Green and Reform Parties, and written in candidates such as Daffy Duck. I will NEVER vote for ANY "candidates" the duopoly sends, never. I sleep well at night, knowing I'm doing my part to remove the corruption. Democrats and Republicans have had 200+ years in power, look what it's gotten us. It's time to move on to forward, independent, free thinkers. Not lackeys committed to some bull**** partisan line and the incessant bickering. I have my ideas what the bickering is REALLY about, but that's another thread.
As for the system not being rigged, why does the duopoly control the Debate Commission? Why after Perot's successful debate in '92, did the Debate Commission change the rules? Why wouldn't they let Ralph Nader attend in '04, why was Jill Stein arrested tbis past election for trying to attend? Don't talk to me about issues and which candidate best represents me, because I can flat tell ya......NO CANDIDATE from the duopoly represents me. If you're honest with yourself, you'll acknowledge they don't represent you either.
REMOVE THE DUOPOLY.....the corporate lapdogs.
You seem to be under the impression that only Democrats and Republicans are “corporate lapdogs” and corrupt. Anyone who is in politics relies on corporate money to get elected and therefore is beholden to them -- and that includes third party/independent candidates. That said, I do believe that the American public would welcome a strong third party candidate. In a recent Gallop poll, 60 % of respondents said that Republicans and Democrats are doing such a poor job of running the country that we need a Third Party. Most interesting was that only 26% of respondents said that the two major parties represented Americas.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/165392/perceived-n...

As for candidates invited to the Presidential debates: I understand that this is something that rankles you, but it’s just not feasible to have every candidate participate. Many of the candidates appear on only a handful of state ballots and some don’t have enough support to be on any. Some of these “candidates” run every year just to get their 15 minutes of fame and some are just home grown wackadoodles. I don’t have a problem with the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD). They aren’t part of the government, and as a private organization financed completely by private funds, they have the right to conduct business as they see fit. Quite frankly if a candidate doesn’t have 15% of national support required by the CPD, they really aren’t in the game. If the Libertarian Party, the Green Party or the Bubba is an Aliens Party want to get their candidate to the debate, they need to first do the ground work so there is national interest in their party and/or candidate. The debates are a culmination of many months of hard work by candidates who have garnered significant support across the country. They should be used as a platform for someone in search of a constituency.
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#28 Dec 2, 2013
Last sentence above should read: They should "not" be used as a platform for someone in search of a constituency. Mea Culpa.

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#29 Dec 2, 2013
Tough Love wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be under the impression that only Democrats and Republicans are “corporate lapdogs” and corrupt. Anyone who is in politics relies on corporate money to get elected and therefore is beholden to them -- and that includes third party/independent candidates. That said, I do believe that the American public would welcome a strong third party candidate. In a recent Gallop poll, 60 % of respondents said that Republicans and Democrats are doing such a poor job of running the country that we need a Third Party. Most ppinteresting was that only 26% of respondents said that the two major parties represented Americas.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/165392/perceived-n...
As for candidates invited to the Presidential debates: I understand that this is something that rankles you, but it’s just not feasible to have every candidate participate. Many of the candidates appear on only a handful of state ballots and some don’t have enough support to be on any. Some of these “candidates” run every year just to get their 15 minutes of fame and some are just home grown wackadoodles. I don’t have a problem with the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD). They aren’t part of the government, and as a private organization financed completely by private funds, they have the right to conduct business as they see fit. Quite frankly if a candidate doesn’t have 15% of national support required by the CPD, they really aren’t in the game. If the Libertarian Party, the Green Party or the Bubba is an Aliens Party want to get their candidate to the debate, they need to first do the ground work so there is national interest in their party and/or candidate. The debates are a culmination of many months of hard work by candidates who have garnered significant support across the country. They should be used as a platform for someone in search of a constituency.
They had perfectly good parameters established before 1992. You needed to be on 49 or 48 ballots, I think it was, and have some showing in the polls leading in. Obviously, "Bubba" isn't going to the trouble to petition 50 states to get on at least 48 ballots if he's not serious or looking for fleeting fame.

Along comes the '92 debates. A guy shows up on enough ballots and polls well enough (around 8% if memory serves me) to make the debate. They let him on the stage and he comes out leading the polls. If not for a mysterious and controversial withdrawal, he may have won. He still polled around 20% after that. They THEN set the bar higher after that, why?

I think you know why, you just aren't admitting it. They don't want the American people to hear these alternative ideas.

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#30 Dec 3, 2013

“Boogie Chill'un”

Level 6

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#31 Dec 3, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
Music is the answer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =7T4BUzzUJNgXX
.....good one.
TRAVEL

Lakeland, FL

#32 Dec 3, 2013
In those words of one democrat "What does it matter "...We will all see someday the real truth about this and how it was designed. And yes folks it's the government that is the problem.

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#33 Dec 9, 2013
TRAVEL wrote:
In those words of one democrat "What does it matter "...We will all see someday the real truth about this and how it was designed. And yes folks it's the government that is the problem.
Youy are right , it is the governments fault.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amanda King 1 hr Ugh 9
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr gladthelakeisback 36,841
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr ChromiuMan 166,396
Chad, Where Art Thou? 8 hr FiddleDeeDee 1
Virgin Wanted 9 hr kitty kat slap 5
Question about UGN. (Nov '11) 12 hr neighbor 8
eclipse glasses 16 hr Solar one 4

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages