#56 Jun 28, 2013
Keeper wrote:
That sounds like Stevie
What does?
Sue

Somerset, KY

#57 Jun 28, 2013
broke wrote:
I am not disputing your claim that the city is broke, but how do you know that? Where can a citizen get unbiased facts regarding our financial state? The mayor says we are in better shape than ever.
<quoted text>
It's the last day of the month and the cities budget year. I do believe it is broke because the water park has been broke since day one and no one is working up there to fix. The mayor said people were working day and night and it was the contractor who was late. Just look at the web cam on their site. I have watched it since the park was open and it's dark up there at night and during the day I see maybe one guy screwing around but not every day. The mayor just announced that it will be open in time for Somerblast on July 6. The city gets a new bunch of money on July 1. Just look and see they will be working their butts off to get this open now that they have money.
ToCanSam

London, KY

#58 Jun 28, 2013
As long as it is open it shouldn't matter, if money was the issue, you can't spend what you don't have, people can't go to the store if they don't have cash, so the city operates the same way, new budget, more money to work with
ChickenHauler

Corbin, KY

#61 Jun 28, 2013
broke wrote:
I am not disputing your claim that the city is broke, but how do you know that? Where can a citizen get unbiased facts regarding our financial state? The mayor says we are in better shape than ever.
<quoted text>
just examine the annual audit. Notice the the amount of money outstanding and the amount of general funds available. Also remember that nearly 9 million of the available funds cannot be spent because that money is obligated as match money. That leaves the city about 14 million less than what it had 6 years ago. Also the city debt was less than 6million now it is over 100 million. Pay close attention to adjustments that have been done to accommodate earning shortages. In a nut shell the city is spending more than it is bringing in. Its in the audit. Compare the recent city audits to previous audits and you will see. These people think everyone is stupid. This council needs to be replaced before anyone in my opinion. All of them. They pass the budgets and have no idea of what they are doing. Think about this, the city council passes a new tax on transients (hotel tax) to provide funding for a tourist commission they don't need. Instead of hiring a tourism director they appoint a board of volunteers to run city tourism. They make the tax ordinance to where the money doesn't go directly to tourism or the commission but it goes into the general fund. And they say the commission will have to ask for money from the general fund. It tells me that the money will not be spent on tourism. If I was a hotel owner I would request a specific audit of the funds collected vs the investment in local tourism.
ChickenHauler

Corbin, KY

#62 Jun 28, 2013
I would like to see some new faces in all the office's. It seems like non of our elected people even like each other. To much hate. And nobody really knows what is going on.
Fubar

Somerset, KY

#63 Jun 29, 2013
You also have to clean up the department heads. The city buying gas from the head of the water department. Making an ex reporter a department head of the cemetery. Do we need a department head of the city cemetery. It seams like parks department head could take care of this, it's mostly cutting grass. Almost 35k a year saved there. Oh but you might fall out of good grace with the CJ.
sunshine

Somerset, KY

#64 Jun 29, 2013
Fubar wrote:
You also have to clean up the department heads. The city buying gas from the head of the water department. Making an ex reporter a department head of the cemetery. Do we need a department head of the city cemetery. It seams like parks department head could take care of this, it's mostly cutting grass. Almost 35k a year saved there. Oh but you might fall out of good grace with the CJ.
What about that guy at the waterpark? Only half the water park has been open this year. Poor planing if you ask me. Don't they test these thins out. "Kentucky's Best Water Park" my ass!
county

Middlesboro, KY

#65 Jun 29, 2013
The city has no money, none but this council is too afraid or dumb to ask questions or dig into it, they just hired a CPA paying 60 or 70 grand a year, how come no one in the public has seen or heard from her. CITY IS BROKE!! People don't realize is the auditors that come in every year and does audits, it is their job to make city finances look good or they loose that 150 grand a year they are paid. If the city had money they would fix those fire trucks. Get the waterpark fixed. I see cuts n the future big time, Girdler when he was deputy judge state had to come in and take over finances and that was just a few hundred thousand, imagine having 20 million to go thru? This all the council fault for not doing their job, they are more worried about the favors they receive and not what is in the best interest of the city voters
gonzo

Manchester, KY

#66 Jun 29, 2013
county wrote:
The city has no money, none but this council is too afraid or dumb to ask questions or dig into it, they just hired a CPA paying 60 or 70 grand a year, how come no one in the public has seen or heard from her. CITY IS BROKE!! People don't realize is the auditors that come in every year and does audits, it is their job to make city finances look good or they loose that 150 grand a year they are paid. If the city had money they would fix those fire trucks. Get the waterpark fixed. I see cuts n the future big time, Girdler when he was deputy judge state had to come in and take over finances and that was just a few hundred thousand, imagine having 20 million to go thru? This all the council fault for not doing their job, they are more worried about the favors they receive and not what is in the best interest of the city voters
Good point...
somerset

Middlesboro, KY

#67 Jun 29, 2013
so far i have heard rumors of Jim Rutherford , Steve Kelley, Pat Bourne, Eddie Girdler all running for mayor, Kelley and Bourne more for the unified group, Girdler so he can continue what he does, Rutherford cause he is tired of the crap that goes on, can't stand to be on the council anymore with Girdler at the helm. Could be a interesting race if they are all running. If you want a merge government vote for Kelley, i have heard him say it himself how much is is for this. Bourne's daughter in law (works for Barty) is one of the main people behind this group.So if you want the county to take over the city then vote for one of these boys. Heard this group was putting a lot of money into Kelley if he decides to run for mayor instead of judge. I will support Kelley for judge but not for mayor, i do not want the county running the city and most city residents want no part of it.
TRash

Somerset, KY

#68 Jun 29, 2013
Fubar wrote:
You are right, is that why the CJ does not run any bad stories about the City? Where is the story about the City annexing that whole street and one house of a council person? Was that done to get the Police vote passed? What happened to the two council people that were not there. We're these part of the folks that tried to get the now police chief fired some years back. Did the mayor wait for these folks to go on vacation before the vote? You have to hand it to the mayor, he is slick, but rather slimy.
somerset

Middlesboro, KY

#69 Jun 29, 2013
The CJ will never investigate or print any of this, they will not dig into it never. They can't and even if they could it wouldn't get to print everyone knows why it wouldn't get printed, even the new publisher, he just seems to not care about news, just ads.
crazycrazy

Middlesboro, KY

#71 Jun 29, 2013
Girdler has hired so many people he thinks will be able to get votes out of them, when he reality he has lost a ton of votes from other employees that work at the city, he has hired a guy that pumps gas for about 40 or 45 a year, 2 others that just hang out and no ones knows what they do at about 40 or 45 a year, he has department managers that may work 3 to 4 hours a day, this could be verified if he just went and talked to the lowly employees. Its just gotten ridiculous and the council sits there like its all ok and no issues, man they got a a lot coming soon when some of this stuff is dragged out before the next election which i am sure it will be, the city can't have any money they have spent it all on salaries and benefits and its not the taxpayers getting the benefit because the people he has hired are not working for it, so they are cheating us.
ToCanSam

London, KY

#72 Jun 29, 2013
somerset wrote:
so far i have heard rumors of Jim Rutherford , Steve Kelley, Pat Bourne, Eddie Girdler all running for mayor, Kelley and Bourne more for the unified group, Girdler so he can continue what he does, Rutherford cause he is tired of the crap that goes on, can't stand to be on the council anymore with Girdler at the helm. Could be a interesting race if they are all running. If you want a merge government vote for Kelley, i have heard him say it himself how much is is for this. Bourne's daughter in law (works for Barty) is one of the main people behind this group.So if you want the county to take over the city then vote for one of these boys. Heard this group was putting a lot of money into Kelley if he decides to run for mayor instead of judge. I will support Kelley for judge but not for mayor, i do not want the county running the city and most city residents want no part of it.
I think I would vote for Jim Rutherford, he seems to vote his mind no matter what anyone else thinks, Bourne has don't nothing at all while on council and I mean nothing at all, Kelly is to much in with the Managers at City hall and things would go from bad to worse, Eddie has let to many run wild without any control and he doesn't run City Hall, his managers and the ones in his Inner circle run it, he has promoted and given big raises to people because of who they are not what they do or know, City hall is a complete mess, they work when they want, most make it in two or three days a week if hey want to, so Jim will getmy vote if he runs
gonzo

Manchester, KY

#73 Jun 29, 2013
Fubar wrote:
Good point...really overpaid position and without a job description to match the $$$$$$
ToCanSam

London, KY

#74 Jun 29, 2013
Fubar wrote:
There's more than the water dept. manager working for the city and also doing business with them, there are a few people that work there,have their own business and do business with the city.
Clickin Chicken

Somerset, KY

#76 Jun 30, 2013
Is it true they anexed some property way out toward shopville? It was just one street and only one house owned by a Council woman. If this is true what was the payout and how can yet do that? It's like giving free water park passes out for votes. How come this was not in the local paper. Is this not news?
Realistic Thinker

Somerset, KY

#77 Jun 30, 2013
How many new jobs have been created in Somerset since Girdler became mayor? Zilch! None! He thinks that Somerset's new ability to buy booze will boost the job count. I think he needs to drink less or stop smoking whatever he's smoking. We have a mayor with no vision for the future, no business experience and no morals and ethics. We've a county judge who is a good man but bless his heart, he is a moron. If Girdler gets another term as Mayor you would be well advised to pack it in and move your family the hell out of here. He is taking the city to hell in a hand basket. The only ones benefiting from his administration are the thugs, thieves and slugs he surrounds himself with. Girdler and Carol Estes are two people who would have starved to death long ago had it not been for corrupt politics and the public teet. I don't think either of them has ever held a job in the private sector. Hey, hey! Ho ho! Girdler's got to go!
gonzo

Manchester, KY

#78 Jun 30, 2013
Clickin Chicken wrote:
Is it true they anexed some property way out toward shopville? It was just one street and only one house owned by a Council woman. If this is true what was the payout and how can yet do that? It's like giving free water park passes out for votes. How come this was not in the local paper. Is this not news?
Not according to the Comic Journal News editor....
crazycrazy

Middlesboro, KY

#79 Jun 30, 2013
gonzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not according to the Comic Journal News editor....
Amazingly this same house is also conveniently going to be in her ward also, how convenient huh? The other council members that voted for this need to come out and say why they voted for this. This will cost the city money, by police protection garbage pickup , road cleanup, fire protection, it what other world would this be ok? I will not vote for one council person that voted for this, they used their position as council member to keep this council member on there. Not fair to others that have run against her in the past, also didn't she put a big ad against person running against her in the paper last time and how sorry he was, this tops anything he ever did. He never pushed for a annexing that benefited him directly anyhow. This is so wrong on every level and the council that voted for this should be ashamed and disgraced that they have forgotten what is right and what is wrong.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
explosions???? 14 min UncleSherbert 5
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 37 min SNYB 131,425
Somerset mayor, Keck or Girdler? 51 min TruthHurts 223
Word Association (Feb '09) 1 hr Sweepyface 11,610
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr gladthelakeisback 21,672
Armstrong 1 hr chick a dee 2
Is Target really coming (Aug '08) 2 hr shell layley 48
Mike Harris Steve Kelley chief deputy judge 2 hr Knowitall9 21

Freeze Watch for Pulaski County was issued at October 31 at 7:08PM EDT

Somerset Dating