Pulaski Co. Animal Shelter- Friend or...
Homer Branscum

Somerset, KY

#21 Sep 18, 2008
Yes, save the kids!!!!

Torture and Kill Cats and Dogs!!!!!!
Grow a set

London, KY

#22 Sep 18, 2008
Do you all not realize that people who torture and abuse animals are more likely to do the same to children and other family members? If someone can take care of their animal properly then more than likely they are doing the same with their family.
One of the first warning signs that a person needs serious help is killing or torturing animals.
Homer Branscum

Somerset, KY

#23 Sep 18, 2008
as a matter of fact i do need help killing animals. I would love to organize a group of people who would like to help me in going around and killing animals, especially the young kittens and pups.
Animal Advocate

Richmond, KY

#24 Sep 18, 2008
Dog Lover wrote:
We need to get a petition to Barty Bullock for the Humane Society to take over that place. who's with me?
This past Fall, the Humane Society presented a petition to the fiscal court - Barty and the 5 magistrates. The petition was asking for the Humane Society to be given the opportunity to opoerate the animal shelter. There were more than 3,000 Pulaski County resident signatures on the petition. This was accompanied by a presentation, describing all of the benefits that would accrue to the county under such an arrangement (with no additional cost to the county). This effort was totally ignored by the entire fiscal court. Not one member would even make a motion about it, so that it could be discussed in an open meeting.

It's all about the good-old-boys system that puts the dog warden's job above the interests of the community or the welfare of the animals. We can't have our huntin' buddy losing his job, or being transferred to another department. The hell with the lives of the 5,000+ animals that have been cruelly exterminated at our shelter since this fiscal court gang took over last year.

We are paying Bullock more than $80,000 this year, and each magistrate more than $30,000 (for what is just a part-time job for most of them). What a waste of taxpayers' money!

mad

London, KY

#25 Sep 18, 2008
It is a shame that you nuts want all this money for these dogs and cats when we have kids here that dont get nothing to eat untill they get to school.That makes me mad that you put animals before our kids.
UsedToLIveThere

Springdale, AR

#26 Sep 18, 2008
Okay, folks, first of all you need to recognize that *some* changes have been made in the shelter. Not nearly enough, but the hours have been extended, the dogs are not routinely put to sleep on Friday afternoon, etc. But I agree, a volunteer program, spay neuter programs, rescue programs would all go a very long way to help the situation.
But PLEASE take responsiblity for what is YOUR RESPONSIBLITY. Why wasn't that dog neutered?? why wasn't the neighbours dog spayed? Why was that dog loose at all?
I used to live in Somerset and have spent a great deal of time worrying about this. The commonn thread is to let your dog run loose all over the county and then complain about the lack of shelter staff and help. If *YOU* had your dog spayed or neutered,*YOU* would prevent thousands of other dogs being houses and subsequently killed in the shelter in pulasky county.
TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ANIMALS AND THEY WON'T BE FOUND DEAD ON THE ROAD!!
go Somerset

AOL

#27 Sep 18, 2008
It is not about putting animals before children.This is a post about animals. Evil is just that-evil. anyone with the mentality to hurt an animal probably will hurt a person. Why not educate people to love every other person and animal also? What a different world. Love and feed every breathing thing, Be kind people.
POCO

London, KY

#28 Sep 18, 2008
Ok but us start with people first,then after we feed all the people and housed then we will all worry about the animals.WE have a bunch of people in the county who dont have 3 meals a day very poor living conditions,and you worry about the dog truck haveing A.C.THAT IS A SHAME.
fact teller

Frankfort, KY

#29 Sep 18, 2008
We have many programs in place to help the children that have been mentioned and the people that don't have enough food. That was not the subject of this topic, but are very important issues in our world. Please feel free to start a new thread. Animals don't have a voice, we are the ones that are to project them and care for them. There is currently nothing or very little being done for the animals in Pulaski County. Our wonderful elected officials are useless and refuse to accept the responsibility to change this. Our esteemed judge won the election over this very issue and what a shame to see so many unkept promises on his part. How many times did we read about this very subject in the newspaper before the election? We are all guilty of letting these animals down. Don't sit back and do nothing, make some progress happen. If you can't offer anything but critism regarding this, then keep your opinion to yourself, I don't want to hear another idiot make a fool of himself on here. That doesn't help anyone.
POCO

London, KY

#30 Sep 18, 2008
I am sure that is not why he won the election if that was the case Bert Menton would be the judge.
Strict Constructionalis t

Lexington, KY

#31 Sep 18, 2008
Grieving wrote:
There is not a leash law in Pulaski County, please feel free and contact the animal shelter as they will tell you the same thing. I don't live on a busy road but in the country. I am saying that the employees at the Animal Shelter are not doing their job so well. I do accept part of the blame, but when you pick up a dog and take it 25 miles away and then mishandle him so that he could escape and be in worse danger, and then you had traps to put out, but did nothing to try to get him, then his death is on their hands!!! I hope this never happens to you!
Actually there is a state law requiring confinement of dogs and also a county one. Also the dogs are required to wear a current rabies tag and a county dog tag at all times. Also there is a law against bitches in heat being loose also.
Strict Constructionalis t

Lexington, KY

#32 Sep 18, 2008
i care wrote:
i thank alot of us will signa petition , the judge made promises to get elected, then just didnt do a thing, go figure.
Those of you ready to do petitions and complain...when did you last donate to the shelter? Offer to volunteer? Drop off a bag of cat litter? Adopt a pet? You're real eager for someone to do something...try doing something yourself. I've worked with shelters and humane societies for >30 years....it's a royal pain but those who do so are forced to make decisions that many folks would run screaming from if they had to make them. When you only have a few bucks to try to provide for dozens of animals...you have to figure out what will get the best results. Many broken hearted folks work at these places but have to keep on to do some good for the most they can.
are you serious

Frankfort, KY

#33 Sep 18, 2008
Strict Constructionalist wrote:
<quoted text>
Also there is a law against bitches in heat being loose also.
Well now, wouldn't all of our lives be easier if this law was followed?
btdt

Springdale, AR

#35 Sep 18, 2008
Yeah, I offered to volunteer, four years ago and was told they didn't have volunteers (that was by Steve), so I offered, since I was unemployed and at the time unemployable, to get a volunteer program up and running, at no cost to the shelter, and was told that they didn't want or need a volunteer program (again by Steve). since that time I have become extremelly active in the dog community in somerset, including rescuing, rehabilitating dogs and rehoming them. And while I'm on the subject let's talk about a little black & tan spaniel that we rescued from the pulaski county shelter. She had 27 ticks on the top of her little head, stoppedc ounting after we'd gotten them off. We had to shave her because the matts were so bad we couldn't find her skin. She is permanently scarred from the ticks we had to remove from her skin all over her body and that doesn't count the fleas and other medicatable problems that little girl had.
A year later, she is healthy and living a princess life out of state with an older couple. It doesn't take a fortune or a lot of knowledge to help these dogs... it just takes a little caring!!!
Our SHELTER DOES NOT CARE, at least the people who work there do not care. Prove me wrong.
And Barty Bullock was elected on his promises to the dog community and he has not lived up to his promises. He put together a "committee" from the dog community inthe county and then didn't support their findings or recommendations.

Since: Aug 08

Paducah, KY

#36 Sep 18, 2008
i care wrote:
yes it is so sad when you lose a pet, those promises were from barty bullock to change things at pcas, he hasnt done a thing, he might as well hang it up, and not ever run again , the humane society is still trying to get control of the shelter , lets pray that happens soon
I agree with you. Barty Bullock has really disappointed me. They had a dog there we wanted to adopt and they told us it was a court case and until it was resolved nobody could adopt this dog but then a week later we check on the dog and they let someone adopt it and wouldn't even let us put a deposit on it. We even offered more mone that was needed to adopt the dog. It's all in who you are and who you know and I will never go to those liars again.
to btdt

London, KY

#37 Sep 18, 2008
Do you work with a rescue agency that is local to Somerset? I am interested in working or volunteering with one.
btdt

Springdale, AR

#38 Sep 18, 2008
No, I am in Somerset the but the agency is not local registered. You might want to look into the Humane Society... there's a phone number listed on the petfinder.com website for them.
POCO

London, KY

#39 Sep 18, 2008
Lets replace Steve with Homer.We will save a lot of money.
Think about it

Richmond, KY

#40 Sep 18, 2008
The decision makers are the magistrates and the only way to make changes at the shelter is to force the magistrates to do what they are supposed to do...FOLLOW THE RULES THEY ADOPTED REGARDING THE ANIMAL SHELTER....there needs to be cameras installed out there to protect not only the animals, but to also protect the county from a bad reputation. Also, why does the shelter take in animals from outside of Pulaski County? Don't we have enough around here? Another question, why are cats killed on the very day they are taken into the shelter?
Are the animals that are adopted from the shelter spayed or neutered BEFORE they are allowed to leave with the new people? I don't think so, even though they are supposed to be, I think they are given a voucher to take them themselves and sometimes, especially when it is a pure breed dog, they are never spayed or neutered. I think that is illegal and at the very least immoral.
btdt

Springdale, AR

#41 Sep 18, 2008
No, the shelter does not require that animals are spayed/neutered before they go to their new home, but then neither does the humane society. Ithink it's only us small rescue type people who have that kind of morals to spay/neuter before the animal is rehomed.
the shelter does provide a certificate, for the spay and rabies shot for the last dog I rescued from there, however, the vets office made sure I paid an extra $120 before were out the door... my vet (not the one we had to take this dog to) charges less than $120 to get a bitch spayed to begin with!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Global warming 5 min Gomer-ez 11
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Post troll 171,856
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 38,530
Last Post Loses (Aug '12) 2 hr Concerned_American 1,042
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 2 hr Concerned_American 15,761
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 4 hr Alain Vain 14,150
Unfair Judge David Tapp 4 hr Eww 3

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages