TOK

Brownsville, TN

#143 Jan 29, 2013
Old wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple: It's not all about you (or people in general)
What are you talking about? What isn't about me?
Old

Beattyville, KY

#144 Jan 29, 2013
TOK wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you talking about? What isn't about me?
Nightshade, the universe, anything
ummno

Eubank, KY

#146 Jan 29, 2013
Yes.Because the writers of the Bible didnt even know Jesus and had no idea that years later ALL information would be easily accessible and we could see what a myth it all is. Watch this from Zeitgeist. Its very interesting

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#147 Jan 29, 2013
ummno wrote:
Yes.Because the writers of the Bible didnt even know Jesus and had no idea that years later ALL information would be easily accessible and we could see what a myth it all is. Watch this from Zeitgeist. Its very interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8nwB7kofgkEXX
I agree with your point, but I'd be careful using Zeitgeist as a reference. It has been debunked pretty thoroughly by atheists and theists alike. Cool movie, just not very accurate.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#148 Jan 29, 2013
Old wrote:
<quoted text>You thinking that is the summation is merely your opinion and a wrong one at that.
Are you telling me that you belong to a Christian sect that does not hold Christ as it's most important characteristic? Heck, even Mormons claim Jesus as their main guy.

Christianity is about Christ. I never thought I'd have to argue that point with a Christian. What world is this anyway?

lol
TOK

Versailles, KY

#149 Jan 29, 2013
Old wrote:
<quoted text>Nightshade, the universe, anything
Oh, so you're saying that the bad stuff isn't all about us, but the good stuff is? That's the epitome of arrogant.
Old

Beattyville, KY

#151 Jan 30, 2013
TOK wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so you're saying that the bad stuff isn't all about us, but the good stuff is? That's the epitome of arrogant.
Never said that strawman
Old

Beattyville, KY

#152 Jan 30, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you telling me that you belong to a Christian sect that does not hold Christ as it's most important characteristic?
Yes
Yiago wrote:
Heck, even Mormons claim Jesus as their main guy.
Christianity is about Christ.
No, it's about the ideals that he talked about. It's about the ideals that he lived for. It;s about the ideals that he died for. Jesus was humble. He didn't want to be worshipped.
Yiago wrote:
I never thought I'd have to argue that point with a Christian. What world is this anyway?
lol
TOK

Brownsville, TN

#153 Jan 30, 2013
Old wrote:
<quoted text>Never said that strawman
Look here...

Somebody else said this, "Everything that mankind needs to survive and remain healthy is supplied on this planet, what a coincidence huh?"

And then I said, what about all the other stuff that's very harmful to mankind.

You say it's not all about us.

So why put it at all?
Old

Beattyville, KY

#154 Jan 30, 2013
TOK wrote:
<quoted text>
Look here...
Somebody else said this, "Everything that mankind needs to survive and remain healthy is supplied on this planet, what a coincidence huh?"
And then I said, what about all the other stuff that's very harmful to mankind.
You say it's not all about us.
So why put it at all?
That's unintelligible. Try English

Level 2

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#155 Jan 30, 2013
Religion itself is killing religion.. More people are walking away from organized religious groups these days than in recent history. More people are agnostic or atheists as proof of this. Where is the proof that some guy like Walt disney didn't write the scriptures? Our world is a rough place to survive and only the strong survive. Just having faith in something doesn't pay the bills!
KELLERMAN

Huntsville, OH

#156 Jan 30, 2013
I don't think the internet will have any effect on religion. I think the highly priced evangelists on television and their contribution to politics have done more damage to religion than the internet could ever do. If you wish to become rich in this country start a ministry that carters to the less intelligent of the flock. These ministers certainly live better than the ones who are giving their hard earned monies to them.
TOK

Somerset, KY

#157 Feb 1, 2013
http://www.sciencecodex.com/u_of_minn_researc...

Now, one more time... tell me that evolution is not true.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#158 Feb 1, 2013
KELLERMAN wrote:
I don't think the internet will have any effect on religion. I think the highly priced evangelists on television and their contribution to politics have done more damage to religion than the internet could ever do. If you wish to become rich in this country start a ministry that carters to the less intelligent of the flock. These ministers certainly live better than the ones who are giving their hard earned monies to them.
I totally agree that megachurches and TV ministries do damage to religion. Totally agree!

But the internet has, in a matter of a decade, eroded religiosity by an order of magnitude. If I remember correctly the percentage of non-religious people prior to the 90s was less than 4%. Today it is about 15%. And remember that in the 80s we had a ton of the big names in "Televangelism" showing their collective asses. Yet it was really the internet and access to information that has pulled the rug out from under these clowns.

But yeah, asshats that live in mansions and preach about Jesus are doing a pretty good job of destroying the whole shebang too.
Buddah

Somerset, KY

#159 Feb 1, 2013
This whole thread derailed itself from the first post: the concept that the Internet represents truth.

There's a reason deep thinkers throughout history have sought silence.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Level 6

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#160 Feb 2, 2013
Buddah wrote:
This whole thread derailed itself from the first post: the concept that the Internet represents truth.
There's a reason deep thinkers throughout history have sought silence.
The internet is the biggest depository of information - good and bad - in history. Nobody said it represents "truth", just that it bulldozes the playing field of ideas so you are forced to parse out what it is true and what is not true.

And that's a good thing. Everyone should always question things and use their reason to navigate this world. We know that our brains are great at picking out patterns but not so great at figuring out which are meaningful. Being able to filter information is a way of training your mind to find the patterns that matter. That is the point and it is why the internet has, in point of fact, impacted the religiosity of Americans significantly in the past 10-15 years.

http://commons.trincoll.edu/aris/

“Kickapoo Joy Juice”

Level 6

Since: May 12

Dogpatch, KY

#161 Feb 2, 2013
Without Electricity:

No internet,
No Computers,
No cell phones,
No water,
No Gasoline,
No Battery Charging,..

Time will cease as we now know it!

GOD will still be here for me.
Level 5

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#162 Feb 2, 2013
The last time I tried rubbing two sticks together to start a fire to keep warm, all I accomplished was splinters in both hands.

Thank the Lord for matches.
Yeah

United States

#163 Feb 2, 2013
KELLERMAN wrote:
I don't think the internet will have any effect on religion. I think the highly priced evangelists on television and their contribution to politics have done more damage to religion than the internet could ever do. If you wish to become rich in this country start a ministry that carters to the less intelligent of the flock. These ministers certainly live better than the ones who are giving their hard earned monies to them.
You are correct on the point that big religious organizations damage the religion. Large institutions are corrupt. It is inevitable because of human nature.
big government
big churches
big business
big banks
big education

It's cliche', but power corrupts.

Most of what people blame on religion is actuallty the actions of large political religious institutions.

In the early days of the church it was scattered in order to keep it from becoming a mega-church. It was always meant to be small local bodies of believers that associated with other small local bodies of believers. The Bible never outlines an institution larger than a local church in the New Testament model.

Also, every website that contains .edu doesn't mean it's pure truth.
walt

Whitley City, KY

#164 Feb 2, 2013
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct on the point that big religious organizations damage the religion. Large institutions are corrupt. It is inevitable because of human nature.
big government
big churches
big business
big banks
big education
It's cliche', but power corrupts.
Most of what people blame on religion is actuallty the actions of large political religious institutions.
In the early days of the church it was scattered in order to keep it from becoming a mega-church. It was always meant to be small local bodies of believers that associated with other small local bodies of believers. The Bible never outlines an institution larger than a local church in the New Testament model.
Also, every website that contains .edu doesn't mean it's pure truth.
I agree with what you say but how can a small church spread the gospel to the world? Wouldn't it take a large organization to take on the world ministry? Could small churches eventually spread to all the world given enough time?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 17 min hollerrat 7,188
Congrats to the Black Pistons MC! U R now a gang! (Sep '09) 3 hr Smack-em 213
latenight hookup 4 hr Ready4U 1
Rodney Stevens for Jailer in November 5 hr voter 6
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 5 hr Trouser Cough 21,192
County Judge-Exec 5 hr Marine 135
Somerset mayor, Keck or Girdler? 5 hr Ronaldus Magnus 32
Sully's 7 hr soccer marm 17

Somerset Jobs

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Somerset News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Somerset

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]