incoming freshman football players at...

incoming freshman football players at somerset

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
somerset football

London, KY

#1 Jul 27, 2008
has anyone heard if any of the freshman at somerset had any talent??
The Sports Guy

United States

#2 Jul 27, 2008
They went 9-0 and won their conference Championship. They also beat both County teams, they've got a nice group.
SGT JOES

Brentwood, TN

#3 Jul 27, 2008
BUT SOME OF THEIR PLAYERS LEFT.
somerset football

Brodhead, KY

#4 Jul 27, 2008
okay are there any stand out players?
The Sports Guy

Minonk, IL

#5 Jul 28, 2008
SGT JOES wrote:
BUT SOME OF THEIR PLAYERS LEFT.
Yeah, they won't miss them. Only Cody Boyd and Jimbo Hawkins, on the line left. Jimbo has already quit playing an Cody isn't a great loss with what SHS has coming back on the line. What matters is Trey Slaughter, Storm Wilson, Jarred Price, Alex Lange and Andy Manning are coming back in the skill positions and Taylor Speaks is coming back on the line. Yeah, the line might be kind of thin but Speaks was the only 3 year starter there and they have added some players from PC can have Boyd and Burnett, Tanner didn't even play for the team last season and the 8th grade team won is spite of Boyd, not because of him.
The Sports Guy

Minonk, IL

#6 Jul 28, 2008
They have added some player from Science Hill is what I meant to say.
frustrated

London, KY

#7 Jul 28, 2008
The Sports Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, they won't miss them. Only Cody Boyd and Jimbo Hawkins, on the line left. Jimbo has already quit playing an Cody isn't a great loss with what SHS has coming back on the line. What matters is Trey Slaughter, Storm Wilson, Jarred Price, Alex Lange and Andy Manning are coming back in the skill positions and Taylor Speaks is coming back on the line. Yeah, the line might be kind of thin but Speaks was the only 3 year starter there and they have added some players from PC can have Boyd and Burnett, Tanner didn't even play for the team last season and the 8th grade team won is spite of Boyd, not because of him.
I think you are pushing it. It is sports, no reason to talk about teenage boys. Are you one of those parents trying to live through your kid?
The Sports Guy

United States

#8 Jul 28, 2008
frustrated wrote:
<quoted text> I think you are pushing it. It is sports, no reason to talk about teenage boys. Are you one of those parents trying to live through your kid?
No, I'm just saying that the core of the team is intact. Slaughter, Price, Wilson etc are the ones that we needed to keep. The 2 classes above this year's freshman are very deep on the line and the loss of a couple of linemen won't hurt as bad. DJ Townsend deciding to sit this year out will hurt worse than any transfers.
Mark

AOL

#9 Jul 28, 2008
Why is it that parents feel the need to get on here and try to trash talk about kids who are doing what they love?
1st. As a parent most of you know me and has talked to me in one form or the other. i don't think that i have ever said that Cody would be playing any D-1 ball after high school.
2nd. I have never trashed talked any other child so why is it you feel the need (sports guy) to degrade Cody for the effort he gave during his time at Meece Middle?
3rd3
Mark

AOL

#10 Jul 28, 2008
3rd. The comment about Meece winning inspite of Cody being a player on this team is not very smart either. I personally stood in the locker room and heard coaches tell Cody and Taylor that they could be some of the best linemen at Somerse t if they would only try to inprove on what they had already learned from the middle school program. THAT IS A FACT SPORTS GUT ASK TAYLOR!
4th. I am asking that everyone just leave me and my family out of your issue's. We no longer have anything to do with Somerset Schools!
Mark

AOL

#11 Jul 28, 2008
5th. I would like to put some things to rest right now. Only good things came from Cody's time while playing at Meece Middle. Max is a very good coach and taught Cody many things about the game. Stig, Price, Diesel, and the other coaches taught him most of his knowledge of the game. So if he was that bad of a player then go and tell them they messed up. I personnel think they done an outstanding job coaching him. Also his new coaches can tell he know's what he is doing.
Mark

AOL

#12 Jul 28, 2008
6th. I hope that i have been able to shed some light on the trash that is being said about my son on this forum. Me and my family wish only the best for the Somerset teams and hope that they will suceed in the future.

GO MAROONS!
Mark

AOL

#13 Jul 28, 2008
Sorry about some of my spelling. I really can spell.
Bear Bryant

Brownsville, TN

#14 Jul 28, 2008
You go MARK!!!! Too many people think they have to trash other kids to make their kids seem better. You never hear the kids doing that. Good luck at PC, Cody.
Jason S

Michigan City, IN

#15 Jul 28, 2008
Mark,

You're right about Cody. He was a big part of Meece's success the past 3 seasons. He did what he felt was best by going to Pulaski and we wish him the best and hope he has a good career there. Well except for when they play the Purple and Gold--LOL. He'll definately be missed. It is bad that some people need to trash other kids on here, don't pay it any mind Cody and keep working hard.
Jason S

Michigan City, IN

#16 Jul 28, 2008
As for the incoming freshman at Meece they've still got several talented players. Trey Slaughter and Storm Wilson should see quite a bit of varsity time this season. Jarred Price, Alex Lange, Taylor Speaks and Andy Manning might not see as much but will probably get some playing time in mop up roles and should see the field in JV a bunch. D.J. Townsend, Cody Boyd, Jimbo Hawkins, Taylor Jones and Jacob Vaught all either transferred or decided not to come out this season and that will hurt but the remaining players fit well with the rising sophmores and with hard work should provide a solid nucleus for the future. Good luck to all the local teams and players this season and in the future!
Bert

Brownsville, TN

#17 Jul 28, 2008
Wow, what's going on here. When did it become OK to bash 14 and 15 year old kids, calling them out by name? Mark and Cody I am embarrassed by the post naming Cody above. It came from a very small minded person, I wouldn't give it another thought if I were you. All of our kids have different talent levels, as long as they work hard and give it their all that's all I really care about as far as the kids is concerned. While every team has stars it takes every kid on the team to make a successful football team. Too many times parents of the Stars forget that.

Good Luck except against us.
Jason S

Michigan City, IN

#18 Jul 28, 2008
Bert you are completely correct there is no reason for what was posted and I hope that whoever said it realizes how bad it makes Somerset look. On my earlier post I mentioned several incoming freshmen and I just wanted to make sure that I didn't slight anyone. Curtis Pelston, Carlton Jackson, Brandon Hall, Daniel Carr are all good kids too. I know I'm forgetting some but all of the incoming freshmen have the potential to be good football players, now it is up to them to work hard to reach that potential. Sports Guy if you don't have anything constructive to say please keep your comments to yourself, how would you feel if someone said something that negative about your child and your child read it?
somersetfootball 50

London, KY

#19 Jul 28, 2008
number one i doubt any of the freshman besides wilson and slaughter will see good times also speaks will see time when we are up alot im going to be honest i would like to see him play o tackle instead of center i think he would see much more time and possibly a starting job.... but that is a tough job for a freshman they dont expect what is expected from them well at least i didnt and some of my friends.....but i did play last year and i can tell your from experience its a totally different game much harder your size no longer matters you arent the stud you were in middle school u gotta work hard to succeed expecially as a freshman i feel like they will rise to the challenge though i hope i would feel comfortable going to war with those three but they gotta keep working,......and to the loser who bashed on cody and them you are a JOKE!!! ya thats right first off i think they were the ones who played with me in 8th grade and they were good and held there own because they switch schools means nothing, maybe they are happier there and feel better by getting away from idiots like you thats rediculous you would say that but mark its clayton you know i got your alls back and tell cody to work hard and tell him to try to get on my level...jk but im sure when u read this tomorrow youll prolly give me a call but im out
purple and gold father

Alto, GA

#20 Jul 29, 2008
I have a son that attends Somerset High School. I know Cody Boyd and have seen this kid play football numerous times. This kid played middle school football as a 6th grader as well as for the Lake Cumberland Youth Football League. That year if my memory serves me he started on the O line for the 7th grade, so Sports Guy i think that would make him a 3 year starter as well as the Speaks boy. This kid improved every year that i watched him play. He is an athlete, a great student, and an all around role model for other kids. What is surprising is that we are talking about incoming freshman for Somerset and Cody Boyd is no longer a briar jumper but now a maroon.
Why not leave the kid alone? Fact is he can play the game....he will be a loss for Somerset but a gain for Pulaski. Bottom line was his choice and i wish him luck.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scarest or most haunted places in somerset ? (Sep '08) 36 min RYMs 402
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 46 min Lorilou 158,012
Server jobs 1 hr Lil sis 1
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 hr Hatti_Hollerand 34,731
This or That? (May '11) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,196
Are You a Victim of Misty Cundiff? 6 hr guest 18
Apartments 8 hr Rent 1

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages