Are you being persecuted because of y...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ole Eubanker

Hazard, KY

#23 Jun 12, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
Somerset Kentucky Christians have turned me against people and their god.Before I came back to Somerset.I half way believed in a higher deity. Now I believe God was an astronaut, truly.
I'm glad we moved back here.I have seen the light.
And was there heat and smoke as well:)

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#24 Jun 12, 2013
Ole Eubanker wrote:
<quoted text> And was there heat and smoke as well:)
For all the people who claim to be christians.This should be a crime free city, But due to the poor parenting. This is sin city, drugs,robberies,child abuse. Hey we have it all.Because our little johnnie can do no wrong."POOR PARENTING"
Get a grip,take charge of our children.Make a difference.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#25 Jun 12, 2013
Tough Love wrote:
<quoted text>
You still didn’t answer my question. Why would having only Christian churches in town make things “nice?” Are you inferring that the presence of non-Christian houses of worship would some how make our community less “nice” or that those who adhere to other faiths are by extension “not nice” simply because they are not Christian?
Under the category of “for what it’s worth and which might help to frame my question: Prior to living in Somerset, I had the benefit of growing-up within a multi-religious tradition. My mother was Anglican, my father was Lutheran and my extended family was Catholic. My best friend was Jewish and I lived next door to a Presbyterian church that I attended on occasion, in an area that was 99% Polish Catholic.(I suspect were the only people in town who’s last name didn’t end in “ski.”) So by the time I went off to college I already had a very broad exposure to a number of religious belief, traditions and practices. As an adult I lived overseas much of the time, primarily in countries where Islam, Buddhism and Confucianism were the dominant belief systems. Due to this broad exposure not only have I developed what some might call an eclectic belief system, and long the way have gained some important insights. First of all, no one religion if better or worse than any other and just because you adhere to a specific tradition, that doesn’t automatically make you a better or worse person than someone who is not of your faith. Second, morality cannot be equated with one specific religious tradition and in fact some of the most moral people I have met over the years are agnostics. Third, and probably most important, is that the similarities between the various religious traditions are far more significant than the differences. At the end of the day, I believe that how we live our lives and how we treat each other is far more important than the denomination of the church we attended or the religious tradition we followed.
Your last sentence says it all -
Braxton Vaines

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Jun 12, 2013
I think every Sunday morning there should be a roundup of all people not in church. Workers on the job are excused. The rest should all be incarcerated and debriefed. Give em some of that old fashioned Puritan values. Then our community would be the example for the rest of the country. A true nirvana.
pitbullie

Versailles, KY

#27 Jun 14, 2013
Have you ever read Elmer Gantry? Its a famous novel about a religious con man. He pretends belief to rip people offPeople aren't discriminating because of your religion. Its because of your behavior

They most likely don't like you because you are a jerk who uses his so-called religion to try and feel better than others.
Rev Gantry wrote:
Many Christians are reporting, they feel persecuted because of their belief. It's happening right here in our own community.
pitbullie

Versailles, KY

#28 Jun 14, 2013
Very ironic
the ironic man wrote:
as a straight, caucasian, employed/employable, patriotic, Christian male, i am a target for many groups.
isn't it ironic that the people demanding understanding and tolerance don't practice it?
pitbullie

Versailles, KY

#29 Jun 15, 2013
If you want to get persecuted, go to Iran
Rev Gantry wrote:
Many Christians are reporting, they feel persecuted because of their belief. It's happening right here in our own community.
Tyler

London, KY

#30 Jun 26, 2013
The only groups persecuted in Pulaski are atheists, homosexuals, Muslims, & Democrats!

If you are a Republican Baptist you are loved & adored!
Notabaptist

Versailles, KY

#31 Jun 28, 2013
Know how the Southern Baptists got their start?

Just before the Civil War, the majority of Baptists in the Nation were Abolitionists. Over Slavery, the Baptists split into 2 factions.

The Baptists that believed slavery was a divine right, and that slavery was justified and supported by the Bible split off to form the Southern Baptist Faction.

Not a glorious history there.
Tyler wrote:
The only groups persecuted in Pulaski are atheists, homosexuals, Muslims, & Democrats!
If you are a Republican Baptist you are loved & adored!

“Welcome to the Winds of Change”

Level 5

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#34 Jul 2, 2013
Which faith do you speak of? Are you talking about faith in general regardless of religion or are you speaking on specifics? For some reason the human race always needs an "other" to brow beat or physically beat. Perhaps the better statement is... you know I now know what the other side feels like when I think bad of them or tell them they are not worthy of xyz just because they believe, look, or live different from me.
witchywoman

Versailles, KY

#35 Jul 12, 2013
If you want to see somethin funny, Google John Stewart and Christian persecution. Laughed out loud

I think these right wing fundamentalists are mostly upset because their ability TO persecute has been abridged.

They, who have God himself whispering in their ears, don't get to be in charge of everybody's business anymore. It drives them bonkers

Oh for the so-called good old days when a man could beat his wife and children with impunity and all those pesky minorities were being properly kept in their places.
Rev Gantry wrote:
Paul Revere

London, KY

#38 Jul 12, 2013
the ironic man wrote:
as a straight, caucasian, employed/employable, patriotic, Christian male, i am a target for many groups.
isn't it ironic that the people demanding understanding and tolerance don't practice it?
Haven't you heard? All those things make you privileged and as such you are a threat to the rest of the country.
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#39 Jul 12, 2013
Paul Revere wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't you heard? All those things make you privileged and as such you are a threat to the rest of the country.
Everyone is entitled to their own religious beliefs. However, no one is entitled to force those beliefs on others. And I would argue that history has demonstrated over and over that those who have tried to legislate their own brand of repressive morality, have indeed caused unspeakable damage to countries and people.

Level 6

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#41 Jul 12, 2013
Religious people target people too and in some countries some horrible things are done in the name of religion.

Like stone men and women to death for adultery. Attacking other minority religions or just making life miserable for them because you can't stand the fact they don't believe in Mohammad.

I've heard Christians talk down other religions or about someone for drinking a beer. Thank God you stopped burning people at the stake for witchcraft.

Atheists talk about Christians and put them down as well so your not blameless. We all are being persecuted by someone and many of us do our own persecuting of anyone that we view as different.

Sorry about the rant there's just enough blame to go around for everyone.
Oh the Irony

Somerset, KY

#42 Jul 13, 2013
Everybody is persecuted for their belief or non-belief. Get over it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 23 min so true 141,518
County Judge Exectuive Steve Kelley: Resign 25 min Whitney 32
Politicians refusing to perform Duties. 56 min Snap 35
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr positronium 26,981
Word Association (Feb '09) 1 hr Red_Forman 12,097
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 1 hr Red_Forman 11,342
Confederate flag: Heritage or Hate (May '09) 1 hr Boss Hawg 115
More from around the web

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages