Are you being persecuted because of y...

Are you being persecuted because of your faith?

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rev Gantry

London, KY

#1 Jun 10, 2013
Many Christians are reporting, they feel persecuted because of their belief. It's happening right here in our own community.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 10, 2013
And has been the case since time began , and will continue -
pore old rodney king

Jamestown, KY

#3 Jun 10, 2013
Rev Gantry wrote:
Many Christians are reporting, they feel persecuted because of their belief. It's happening right here in our own community.
I don't know what would be the cause for persecution. How's it happening right here? Give some examples, not a generality. "Feeling" is not the same thing as fact.
the ironic man

Lexington, KY

#4 Jun 11, 2013
as a straight, caucasian, employed/employable, patriotic, Christian male, i am a target for many groups.

isn't it ironic that the people demanding understanding and tolerance don't practice it?
pore old rodney king

Jamestown, KY

#5 Jun 11, 2013
the ironic man wrote:
as a straight, caucasian, employed/employable, patriotic, Christian male, i am a target for many groups.
isn't it ironic that the people demanding understanding and tolerance don't practice it?
Some people are obnoxious donkeys concerning their "faith" and come across as being self-righteous bigots. Could that be part of your problem?

Quietly living your faith is one thing and boisterously proclaiming it is another. The first doesn't generate much persecution, yet, in this current climate, but the second thing kind of turns the stomach, in even a believer.
Believer

Somerset, KY

#6 Jun 11, 2013
Just because you aren't allowed to impose your personal religious beliefs on others doesn't mean you are persecuted; nor does it make you a target. It's an even tougher argument to make when every Wednesday the CJ lists close to 300 Christian churches in the area that conduct services.
runner

London, KY

#7 Jun 11, 2013
Christian persecution? Around here? Get serious. Try professing a minority belief and see how you feel.
the ironic man

Lexington, KY

#8 Jun 11, 2013
as i said, it seems to be ok for YOU to disagree with ME, but NOT for ME to disagree with YOU!

y'all pretty funny
Believer

Somerset, KY

#9 Jun 11, 2013
the ironic man wrote:
as i said, it seems to be ok for YOU to disagree with ME, but NOT for ME to disagree with YOU!
y'all pretty funny
Disagreement does not equal persecution or discrimination. Perhaps you could provide some examples of how your right to religious freedom has been abrogated in this community.

Level 8

Location hidden

#10 Jun 11, 2013
Believer wrote:
Just because you aren't allowed to impose your personal religious beliefs on others doesn't mean you are persecuted; nor does it make you a target. It's an even tougher argument to make when every Wednesday the CJ lists close to 300 Christian churches in the area that conduct services.
Maybe 300 churches , but not all are Christian - Would be nice if they all were -
Believer

Somerset, KY

#11 Jun 11, 2013
Knowitall9 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe 300 churches , but not all are Christian - Would be nice if they all were -
If memory serves they are all Christian churches. Other than the Mosque, I don't believe any other non-Christian religions are represented locally. I'll do a count from tomorrow's paper to clarify.
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#12 Jun 11, 2013
Knowitall9 wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe 300 churches , but not all are Christian - Would be nice if they all were -
Why do you believe it "would be nice" if there were only Christian churches in Somerset? Just curious.
Stealth ninja

Hodgenville, KY

#13 Jun 11, 2013
The church seems to be ones doing the persecuting these days.ive had more disagreements with church members and with preachers than with my neighbors and acquaintances.i apologize for offending anyone,but I was basically put out of church recently after I became sick and lost my job.i had been there two years.every service.i wasn't putting enough in the plate on Sunday ,so out I went.

Level 8

Location hidden

#14 Jun 11, 2013
Tough Love wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you believe it "would be nice" if there were only Christian churches in Somerset? Just curious.
All churches , following the original intent , would make for a much calmer society -(original intent)- Keeping in mind , God nor Jesus wrote the bible - It was written by mortal men -

Level 8

Location hidden

#15 Jun 11, 2013
Believer wrote:
<quoted text>
If memory serves they are all Christian churches. Other than the Mosque, I don't believe any other non-Christian religions are represented locally. I'll do a count from tomorrow's paper to clarify.
Big names . fancy titles , nor well known preachers do not a church make -
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#16 Jun 11, 2013
Knowitall9 wrote:
<quoted text>All churches , following the original intent , would make for a much calmer society -(original intent)- Keeping in mind , God nor Jesus wrote the bible - It was written by mortal men -
You still didn’t answer my question. Why would having only Christian churches in town make things “nice?” Are you inferring that the presence of non-Christian houses of worship would some how make our community less “nice” or that those who adhere to other faiths are by extension “not nice” simply because they are not Christian?

Under the category of “for what it’s worth and which might help to frame my question: Prior to living in Somerset, I had the benefit of growing-up within a multi-religious tradition. My mother was Anglican, my father was Lutheran and my extended family was Catholic. My best friend was Jewish and I lived next door to a Presbyterian church that I attended on occasion, in an area that was 99% Polish Catholic.(I suspect were the only people in town who’s last name didn’t end in “ski.”) So by the time I went off to college I already had a very broad exposure to a number of religious belief, traditions and practices. As an adult I lived overseas much of the time, primarily in countries where Islam, Buddhism and Confucianism were the dominant belief systems. Due to this broad exposure not only have I developed what some might call an eclectic belief system, and long the way have gained some important insights. First of all, no one religion if better or worse than any other and just because you adhere to a specific tradition, that doesn’t automatically make you a better or worse person than someone who is not of your faith. Second, morality cannot be equated with one specific religious tradition and in fact some of the most moral people I have met over the years are agnostics. Third, and probably most important, is that the similarities between the various religious traditions are far more significant than the differences. At the end of the day, I believe that how we live our lives and how we treat each other is far more important than the denomination of the church we attended or the religious tradition we followed.
runner

Chicago, IL

#17 Jun 11, 2013
I'm still waiting for the original poster to give a single example of Christian persecution. I suspect he is just trying to stir up stuff. Sounds ludicrous to me.
mike

Chicago, IL

#19 Jun 11, 2013
Rev Gantry wrote:
why do you say that because im sure jews ,muslims and atheist feel the same way
Tough Love

Somerset, KY

#20 Jun 12, 2013
Knowitall9 wrote:
I did my own head count from today's paper: 237 Christian churches advertised services, 116 of which are Baptist. No Mosques, no Synagogs, no Temples.

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#22 Jun 12, 2013
Somerset Kentucky Christians have turned me against people and their god.Before I came back to Somerset.I half way believed in a higher deity. Now I believe God was an astronaut, truly.
I'm glad we moved back here.I have seen the light.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 54 min CCzar 166,491
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr Doobie Time 36,893
word (Dec '11) 1 hr Doobie Time 47
Word Association (Feb '09) 2 hr Doobie Time 12,412
Ken Whitman aka whit whitman 2 hr dwayne elias 5
Untitled 5 hr Fake fake 1
little caesars (Feb '14) 9 hr Little Caesar 8

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages