First Prev
of 3
Next Last
just asking

Somerset, KY

#2 Sep 3, 2008
whats going on around that place
pleasedontstarta gain

London, KY

#3 Sep 3, 2008
I heard there were a whole bunch of medics and Emts that took care of sick and injured people for very little pay. Nice bunch of guys and gals if you ask me.
yup

Somerset, KY

#4 Sep 4, 2008
pleasedontstartagain wrote:
I heard there were a whole bunch of medics and Emts that took care of sick and injured people for very little pay. Nice bunch of guys and gals if you ask me.
thank you
but

Lexington, KY

#5 Sep 4, 2008
pleasedontstartagain wrote:
I heard there were a whole bunch of medics and Emts that took care of sick and injured people for very little pay. Nice bunch of guys and gals if you ask me.
yeah but hows the emt's doing with firefighting, thier getting paid to why aren't they out there doing it?

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Somerset, KY

#6 Sep 4, 2008
You might as well just back the hell off of this until you have the nerve to go do what those guys do every day.
pleasedontstarta gain

London, KY

#7 Sep 4, 2008
but wrote:
<quoted text>yeah but hows the emt's doing with firefighting, thier getting paid to why aren't they out there doing it?
I'd say they probably weren't called out to help the paid department on any of the very few fires that occur in somerset. I bet you if they were called they would be there and do a fine job.And they are already at the wrecks assisting the fire dept. which does more of that than fighting fires.Most of them are on volunteer departments and fight a hell of a lot more fires there than the City of Somerset does. Why does it have to be a contest? I never hear the medics/emts making fun of the fire department but I frequently hear the fire side putting down EMS side. It's a team effort not a contest! Both sides have great guys and fire and ems has great guys and gals.
but

Lexington, KY

#8 Sep 4, 2008
the emt;s have important jobs that not everyone can do, i'm not putting them down at all, but i disagree with the departments being put together they way they were just so the ems could get the roughly 3k a year that the fire department gets, however if they are not working over with the fire department they don't deserve that extra money and the firefighters have a right to be a little ticked, did they get a raise for having to become EMTs? no especially not the 3k the emt's got, where's the fairness in that.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Somerset, KY

#9 Sep 4, 2008
Those poor guys (on either side) had nothing to do with being put together or how little money they make, it is the city who made that decision. I am not sure where you are getting your info from on the 3k a year that you say the EMS side gets now because they are merged, but that is not WHY they were merged, again, the city made that decision. The guys are cross trained as firefighters AND EMT's/Medics, so if they are needed, they can help. The fire trucks have medical supplies on them and the buggy's have turnout gear on them. If and when there are 2 or 3 alarm fires, both the fire side and EMS will respond. All parties involved have to stay current on their fire side training and medical training hours.

A lot of people disagree with the merger and for what ever reason, a lot of people agree with it. If you disagree, why not talk to your city rep's and try to make a change?

For my own personal information...does anyone know what are the city's benefits of the fire/EMS merger?
but

Lexington, KY

#10 Sep 4, 2008
The reason the city merged the two was for the 3k "raise" the emt's would get. The money is money from the state which is paid to firefighters, almost like hazard duty ( but not really), anyway by merging the two the emt's were able to make money the state sets aside for firefighters, when the city realized they messed up, they tried to reverse it, but could not because if they reversed it they would have to had paid the state back all the money which they paid the emt's and the city did not want to do that, the merger was because the city didn't want to give the emt's a raise in the first place. So yes this was a major F up on JP's end, and since it can not be reversed they should at least require the emts to actually earn the fire money.
This is all public knowledge and with enough research and google you can verify this.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Somerset, KY

#11 Sep 4, 2008
Mind if I blow that back by you to make sure I understand? You are saying the city merged, gave the EMT's a 3K$ raise that the state provides (because the city is too tight to give them a raise) that is paid to firefighters for something like hazard duty pay? Is that correct?

If the 3K$ is a state benefit for something almost like hazard duty pay, do you not think that EMS deserves it? Shouldn't they deserve hazard duty pay for the diseases they are exposed to and potentally expose their spouses and children to? Does EMS getting that benefit affect our firefighters in anyway since it is state money?

Hum...so I am guessing if the EMT's got a 3K$ raise, they have to be full-time to get it?:(

You have to forgive me, the merger had already taken place before it truly affected my life :) so I wasn't completley informed...plus I get worked up pretty quickly because I am sooo sick of people on here who choose to remain nameless and personally bash on the people who work at fire/EMS.
tiredofit

Hazard, KY

#12 Sep 4, 2008
but wrote:
The reason the city merged the two was for the 3k "raise" the emt's would get. The money is money from the state which is paid to firefighters, almost like hazard duty ( but not really), anyway by merging the two the emt's were able to make money the state sets aside for firefighters, when the city realized they messed up, they tried to reverse it, but could not because if they reversed it they would have to had paid the state back all the money which they paid the emt's and the city did not want to do that, the merger was because the city didn't want to give the emt's a raise in the first place. So yes this was a major F up on JP's end, and since it can not be reversed they should at least require the emts to actually earn the fire money.
This is all public knowledge and with enough research and google you can verify this.
They do earn it. They have to get hundreds of training hours same at the fire department. Yes it's true they dont fight many fires, but then again neither does the fire department. There just arent that many structure fires in somerset. But if needed, they are able to. And the fire department has benefitted from the merger too. That million dollar tower truck they have was bought with funds made by ambulance runs.(ambulance runs made by crosstrained medics/emts.) I would bet most of the ems side fire training hours weren't obtained sitting in a plush recliner in front of a tv either.
but

Lexington, KY

#13 Sep 4, 2008
amy_beth wrote:
Mind if I blow that back by you to make sure I understand? You are saying the city merged, gave the EMT's a 3K$ raise that the state provides (because the city is too tight to give them a raise) that is paid to firefighters for something like hazard duty pay? Is that correct?
If the 3K$ is a state benefit for something almost like hazard duty pay, do you not think that EMS deserves it? Shouldn't they deserve hazard duty pay for the diseases they are exposed to and potentally expose their spouses and children to? Does EMS getting that benefit affect our firefighters in anyway since it is state money?
Hum...so I am guessing if the EMT's got a 3K$ raise, they have to be full-time to get it?:(
You have to forgive me, the merger had already taken place before it truly affected my life :) so I wasn't completley informed...plus I get worked up pretty quickly because I am sooo sick of people on here who choose to remain nameless and personally bash on the people who work at fire/EMS.
If the state sets pays money to firefighters, that is set aside for firefighters then no it is not fair that an other organization get it, and no EMT work is not as hazardous as firefighting period. You have PPE to keep dieseases away from them and thier families, and I am not bashing fire/ems only the unfairness of it's merger but I will never agree that ems is more hazardous the firefighting, even in this small of a town where there aren't that many runs.
unknown

Lexington, KY

#14 Sep 4, 2008
tiredofit wrote:
<quoted text>
I would bet most of the ems side fire training hours weren't obtained sitting in a plush recliner in front of a tv either.
So you are going to bash firefighters, watch who you talk crap about because Karma is a b!tch and one day you may need them.

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Somerset, KY

#15 Sep 4, 2008
tiredofit wrote:
<quoted text>
They do earn it. They have to get hundreds of training hours same at the fire department. Yes it's true they dont fight many fires, but then again neither does the fire department. There just arent that many structure fires in somerset. But if needed, they are able to. And the fire department has benefitted from the merger too. That million dollar tower truck they have was bought with funds made by ambulance runs.(ambulance runs made by crosstrained medics/emts.) I would bet most of the ems side fire training hours weren't obtained sitting in a plush recliner in front of a tv either.
LOL! I wasn't going to mention the truck, but I am glad you did.:D It makes more sense *to me* that a couple of those old, broken down ambulances (WITH NO A/C) need to be replaced/fixed before anyone gets new toys...like a tower truck...but must be driven to calls it is not needed for so the city can see what they spent money on. Don't get me wrong, I like firetrucks and the tower truck is a very cool truck, but it sucks when my sweetheart has to go to work, knowing he will be driving an ambualance all day with no a/c in our wonderful heat/humitity.:(

Level 1

Since: Aug 08

Somerset, KY

#16 Sep 4, 2008
but wrote:
<quoted text>
If the state sets pays money to firefighters, that is set aside for firefighters then no it is not fair that an other organization get it, and no EMT work is not as hazardous as firefighting period. You have PPE to keep dieseases away from them and thier families, and I am not bashing fire/ems only the unfairness of it's merger but I will never agree that ems is more hazardous the firefighting, even in this small of a town where there aren't that many runs.
I am not saying one job is more hazardous than the other. I am saying they are *both* hazardous. I believe EMS deserves what they get because they are trained to respond to fires and will do so when needed.

Food for thought...you say "If the state sets pays money to firefighters, that is set aside for firefighters then no it is not fair that an other organization get it"

My question is if tones drop to a 2 alarm fire and the fire side and EMS respond, doesn't that mean EMS deserves what fire fighters get? They are responding as the trained firefighters that they are.

BTW, PPE helps reduce the risk of the diseases spreading, but it will in no shape or form prevent diseases from spreading.
tiredofit

Hazard, KY

#17 Sep 4, 2008
unknown wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are going to bash firefighters, watch who you talk crap about because Karma is a b!tch and one day you may need them.
Wouldnt bash firefighters at any time and I wasnt here. But everyone knows that a lot of the firetraining hours are gotten watching videos. Time consuming yes, strenuous or dangerous, hardly. If you look at Ems quarters and fire side quarters, i'm sure you will notice the difference. How much mold is growing over at fire side? Do you see all the work out equipment and weights etc over at ems that fire has? What about officers on both sides with the same rank and same experience but the ones on fire side make more. Is that fair? I'm not bashing anyone, just pointing out that there are differences and perceived unfairness on both sides.
And that million dollar flag hanger, enuff said!
Hopefully I will never need them, but if I do, I know both sides will be there fully trained if needed.
low down

Corbin, KY

#18 Sep 4, 2008
I don't see why they didn't make the city fire dept a volunteer fire dept like the county. It works in the county and would save the city a fortune. Does anyone have statistics on how many fires a year that they actually fight. I am not talking about the number of calls coming in. I am asking how many fires are fought in a year by the SFD.
PROUD WIFE

Somerset, KY

#19 Sep 4, 2008
but wrote:
<quoted text>yeah but hows the emt's doing with firefighting, thier getting paid to why aren't they out there doing it?
they are doing it!!! they can get to a scene and assist until ems gets there!!! my husband is a fireman and a paramedic they do every thing they can to save lives whether it is cpr of pulling someone out of a burning building he is my hero an should be respected!!!!! but the only people who seem to get that is people who are his friends and family or people who he has helped in an emergency. GOD BLESS ALL OF OUR HEROES!!! FIRE/EMS AND ALL EMERGENCY PERSONNEL YOU DESERVE OUR LOVE AND SUPPORT.
EMT

Somerset, KY

#20 Sep 4, 2008
but wrote:
<quoted text>
If the state sets pays money to firefighters, that is set aside for firefighters then no it is not fair that an other organization get it, and no EMT work is not as hazardous as firefighting period. You have PPE to keep dieseases away from them and thier families, and I am not bashing fire/ems only the unfairness of it's merger but I will never agree that ems is more hazardous the firefighting, even in this small of a town where there aren't that many runs.
Anyone who says "EMT work is not as hazardous as firefighting period" has obviously either never done it or is one of those firefighters who can't stand the fact that his EMS counterparts across the city are making the same incentive pay he is. I am an EMT AND a firefighter and I can tell you right now that EMS is at least as hazardous if not more so than firefighting. We have to run anywhere from 5-10 calls a night per crew and lots of times we don't even have the slightest idea what we're headed into. A chest pain complaint can quickly turn into shots fired or any number of other hazardous things. An accidental needle stick can result in months of waiting to find out if you have been infected with something.

Firefighters, on the other hand, even though you are busy through your shifts, it is not the constant running and there are actually very few "structure fires" which are one of the more hazardous scenes you have to respond to.
EMT

Somerset, KY

#21 Sep 4, 2008
low down wrote:
I don't see why they didn't make the city fire dept a volunteer fire dept like the county. It works in the county and would save the city a fortune. Does anyone have statistics on how many fires a year that they actually fight. I am not talking about the number of calls coming in. I am asking how many fires are fought in a year by the SFD.
I know a couple of years ago, they had i think 11 actual structure fires. It will average between 10 and 20 a year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 3 min mr goodwrench 25,637
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Yiago 136,112
4 word game (Jan '09) 4 hr Trouser Cough 2,123
Somerset is wet, where are the new Restaurants? 6 hr BeefStewie 121
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 10 hr Knowitall9 14,927
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 10 hr Doug77 11,054
3 word comment - (Oct '09) 10 hr Hatti_Hollerand 6,153
More from around the web

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]