Comments
761 - 780 of 884 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 26
Maria

Rock Springs, WY

#822 Nov 11, 2013
hmmm wrote:
you people that seem to have attitudes about people that get help from the state are judgmental and ungreatful for what u have. i seem to have a prob with people getting something for free. u seem to think they are getting over on u. do u really think ur better than they are? maybe some day ull find urself in the same place unable to work. then ull think twice. and ur oppinion that they can work is bs. do u really think anybody wants to live like that. u need to be more accepting of people who have problems and realize god is in control of everything and not YOU! take care of urside of the street and stop worrying about what others are doing, maybe then ull realize u been doing something wrong as well! nobody's perfect, who the heck put u in the position of judgement anyway?
Thank you! I used to have a bad opinion of people on food stamps. In fact my fiancée and I suffered nearly two months refusing to be one of those "lowlifes" that need food stamps. But our situation is really testing and we couldn't do it. We've been applying to MANY jobs, even had a few interviews but we haven't been called back. We are currently homeless with a friend nice enough to let us use her address, but we had to break down and get food stamps because we just WEREN'T making it. I understand there are those who are like "I got such and such amount of kids so i'm entitled to food stamps" and never work a day in their life and that bugs me, but if you're trying to get back on your feet it's alright. here in Wyoming, you can only have ABAWD (able bodied) for 3 months out of 3 years while you search for work.
Maria

Rock Springs, WY

#823 Nov 11, 2013
Old man wrote:
It is true that a person who has never hit a lick of work stands a better chance of getting assistance than one who has a good work history.i recently found out that a girl dropped out in her senior year and applied for ssi and got it in 90 days.i been trying for 3 years.im a high school graduate with 7 years military service with multiple back and knee injuries.i can't even get food stamps or ssi.
Depending on whether or not your injuries were from the military, you should have been medically discharged (I know, I know 2 vets with the same problem) so you should be getting a G.I. bill for the next 5 years or so. So you shouldn't need anything yet.
Maria

Rock Springs, WY

#824 Nov 11, 2013
Bob wrote:
<quoted text>If you draw food stamps, you should only b able to buy meat, potatoes, and veggies, excluding steak, ribs,lobster.... Milk and cheese would b o.k too!!!! No candy,pop,junk food etc.....
I can agree with you to a point, however in my situation I am homeless. We only have a minifridge at our friend's place we can store food and only a microwave to cook it. which equals not much opportunity to cook our own food. We don't want to do it often, but if we can find a place that will allow us to eat PRECOOKED food that would be a HUGE help!
mal

Indianapolis, IN

#825 Nov 15, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
When someone is on govt assistance, I have no problem with why they are on it. What I DO have a problem with is seeing, as someone else said, carts full of junk food and expensive cuts of meat, seafood, things that I as a non govt supported citizen can't even afford sometimes. Many times you see them getting into brand new cars. Some wearing more gold jewelry than I even own altogether. Of course, you can't tell if the car is theirs or not, but chances are...
That's the problem I have and we all know that it's a huge problem. I saw a kid of around 18, purchase a cell phone a few months back at one of the Dollar General stores. Then he paid for two %20.00 prepaid phone cards, cash mind you.(I think they were $20.00 ones, it's been a while back now) Anyway, he THEN proceeded to pull out an EBT card to buy two bags of powdered donuts, four candy bars, and some soda pops.
I don't "spy" on what people use to pay for their purchases with on a normal day, but the cashier was having trouble ringing up his order and I was stuck directly behind this kid. I couldn't help but notice...
I've hit hard times and had to sell things to get by. I know how to survive without an EBT card. I'd like to think that if I needed it, they would grant one to me for a short period of time, but I'd probably have too many assets. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to live responsibly, does it??
So what your saying is becuase someone is recieving food stamps they have to eat cheap food? They cant buy good food they have to eat can food all the time. Just becuase someone has a nice car means nothing. I have a nice car that my dad bought for me and i have a iphone that i bought for myself before i needed assistance. Someone can have a 4bedroom house and a new car....end upin a tough situation where they need help. Instead of them messing up their credit but goin into forclosure or giving their car back theycan get some assistance for other things that ar needed like food. Because if im not mistaking having a car and a place to live are pretty big things that ppl need. Stop judgin. U dont know what they were buying all that pop and candy for. Could have been a bday party for their child. You all make me sick
John

Douglasville, GA

#827 Nov 16, 2013
Wow. I'm amazed at some of the things I'm reading! My wife recently left my son and myself, and I must say the EBT has been great. Yes people take advantage of it, but my son deserves more than I can give him right now. I love seeing the smile on his face after I bring home his favorite foods, and I think it be nice to be able to take him to a nice restaurant even just once every couple months, without taking away from our cash to live on. But I'm fine without going out, because the EBT helps make sure there's food for my boy at home.
RON

London, KY

#828 Nov 16, 2013
People who abuse it should be weeded out, people who need it should be given more. Not talking about 'welfare queens' who milk it. But stuff happens, every situation is different. The problem with any 'system' is its totally black and white. The gray is where the problems are located. Despite the current state of things and looking at it from the Longview, if feeding and protecting our citizen's well being is not the focal point, then why have a government at all?
Old man

Campbellsville, KY

#829 Nov 16, 2013
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Depending on whether or not your injuries were from the military, you should have been medically discharged (I know, I know 2 vets with the same problem) so you should be getting a G.I. bill for the next 5 years or so. So you shouldn't need anything yet.
i been out since 87.i don't get anything.ive tried to go back to work recently,but I've been turned away from two jobs already!mcdonalds was the last place that turned me down.im out there turning in applications and can't get hired.meantime at my house this month the only thing we're having for thanksgiving will be Mac and cheese or beans an cornbread.my last appeal for disability was denied.i got turned down for stamps because my wife draws 9 dollars too much .my kid wants a xbox for Christmas and his birthday is this month.its the middle of the month and what bills could be paid got paid.the rest didn't .no money little food left.dont smoke don't drink don't take drugs.honesty does not pay in this life.
CTT

Somerset, KY

#832 Nov 17, 2013
Old man wrote:
<quoted text>i been out since 87.i don't get anything.ive tried to go back to work recently,but I've been turned away from two jobs already!mcdonalds was the last place that turned me down.im out there turning in applications and can't get hired.meantime at my house this month the only thing we're having for thanksgiving will be Mac and cheese or beans an cornbread.my last appeal for disability was denied.i got turned down for stamps because my wife draws 9 dollars too much .my kid wants a xbox for Christmas and his birthday is this month.its the middle of the month and what bills could be paid got paid.the rest didn't .no money little food left.dont smoke don't drink don't take drugs.honesty does not pay in this life.
Honesty does pay, in fact is the only thing that does long term. But, you can't expect to find work where there isn't any. People have been moving to make a living for tens of thousands of years. It's only recently, since the first government check was handed out, that we've begun to expect it to come to us.
anonymous

Mountain View, CA

#834 Nov 18, 2013
nacg wrote:
More job`s Not more handout`s..
I'm am a full time student, my girlfriend has a job and we have 4 kids. We get ebt because we need assistance. Not everyone getting ebt is lazy. A lot of people take advantage and use it as an excuse to mooch off of the government, but seriously people really do need the extra help or they'd be choosing between paying rent, or feeding their family. Saying that ebt should be ended is the same as promoting starvation and homelessness.
Reality

La Habra, CA

#835 Nov 19, 2013
Just like everyone, I have my opinions too.
But the fact of reality concerning ebt is this...
People do find themselves in places in life where they need help, and thank GOD for a system ( of people) that care enough to provide programs like ebt... But, we are people, nothing is perfect, and there will always be someone that is going to abuse what good intentions that we all have.
thisismee

Jersey City, NJ

#836 Nov 20, 2013
You had said that in VA the lifetime alotted amount is 5 yrs for ebt benefits, but what if someone is disabled and a parent n not married, so therefore they aren't able to "get on their feet" r they still only allowed 5 yrs worth of benefits or is that different.
thisismee

Jersey City, NJ

#837 Nov 20, 2013
hmmm wrote:
you people that seem to have attitudes about people that get help from the state are judgmental and ungreatful for what u have. i seem to have a prob with people getting something for free. u seem to think they are getting over on u. do u really think ur better than they are? maybe some day ull find urself in the same place unable to work. then ull think twice. and ur oppinion that they can work is bs. do u really think anybody wants to live like that. u need to be more accepting of people who have problems and realize god is in control of everything and not YOU! take care of urside of the street and stop worrying about what others are doing, maybe then ull realize u been doing something wrong as well! nobody's perfect, who the heck put u in the position of judgement anyway?
THIS IS PERFECTLY SAID. THANKS HMMM, YOUR COMMENT WAS DEFINITELY NEEDED!!!
CTT

Somerset, KY

#838 Nov 22, 2013
hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
hmmm wrote:
thisismee wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS IS PERFECTLY SAID. THANKS HMMM, YOUR COMMENT WAS DEFINITELY NEEDED!!!
You’re every bit as foolish as ‘hmmm’. That entire statement displayed a monumental lack of thought but to claim God is in control of everything is outrageous nonsense. So you think God is responsible for all the horrible things people do to each other? You think he forces people to lay on the couch and watch TV all day instead of getting out and being productive? It’s your opinion he influences thieves, liars, rapists, murderers etc to commit their heinous acts?

We ARE better than someone who takes advantage of us. Most of us HAVE been unable to find work, but we took the necessary steps to rectify the situation. Most of these slackers DO choose to live like that. We DO get to judge them because they’re spending our money that we should be able to use to support our own families. God is not in control of everything. We can’t afford to take care of our ‘side of the street’ because our money is in your pocket!
Tray

United States

#839 Nov 23, 2013
Not everyone abuses that card !!!! I need it and I work and still can't provide . I clean up after jerks like you ! And don't give me that you should of got a college degree stuff. Someone had to do it and I enjoy what I do cause I'm good at it. But, for me and my children we make that money for food stamps work we go as far as several stores to get the best deal for each product . We buy whole hams and have them sliced and I break it down and fruit cups and 4 bags of chips to four weeks so we can have lunch for the month. I make sure we have at least 30 cans of veg to go with every dinner of the month I buy tea and koolaid and 4 bags of sugar one four each week so we fill are water bottles with it I then try to load the freezer with meats that go a long way. I get 4 boxes of cereal and I box pancake mix I syrup one bacon and a tub of butter bread milk and eggs I leave the rest for things like milk bread eggs that can go bad . So if we have a little extra you damn right I'm going to get my babies some donuts
Wendy

Oaklyn, NJ

#841 Nov 30, 2013
No EBT wrote:
How is this possible I was at a local Chineese Restaurant and the guy that had a table of 6 paid with a EBT card. The worst thing is the little girl that waited on his whole family received no tip. I walked out right behind them and they had a good laugh about it. How is this legal. Is the system that screwed up.
It's NOT legal. Both the family and the restaurant were breaking the law!! You should have taken the license plate number and reported them to the state. I am on EBT and I know you are not permitted to buy hot ready to eat foods with EBT, nor are stores permitted to accept EBT for them. It is the abusers, the scammers, who make the rest of us needing assistance look bad and we don't appreciate being linked to these people. You need to report them so that they can be removed from the system. We have to get rid of the scammers. Most of us getting help have worked and paid taxes for decades. We don't want misuse of tax money any more than you do.
Wendy

Oaklyn, NJ

#842 Nov 30, 2013
thisismee wrote:
You had said that in VA the lifetime alotted amount is 5 yrs for ebt benefits, but what if someone is disabled and a parent n not married, so therefore they aren't able to "get on their feet" r they still only allowed 5 yrs worth of benefits or is that different.
The lifetime limit IS five years, but that doesn't include instances where it is known the situation is not likely to change, such as a disability that prevents working. I disagree with the lifetime limit only because things happen in life that are unexpected. But, I understand why it exists. Still, they have built exceptions into the law for instances like what you mention. And, that lifetime limit ISN'T only Virginia - it's the entire country! Federal law mandates the limit and it was signed into law by Bill Clinton.
Wendy

Oaklyn, NJ

#843 Nov 30, 2013
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
It is also that the income threshold is very low, so it doesn't take much income to disqualify you. If "old man" has a military pension or stipend of some sort, then he may exceed that threshold. SSI is for extremely low income. SSDI is disability income and is based primarily on the type of disability and whether there is current income (and how much). EBT has an income threshold and compares the income to the living expenses - depending on what expenses are being paid out can determine qualificaitons. If he's disabled, he should apply for disability - not SSI which is strictly income based.
Old man

Campbellsville, KY

#844 Dec 1, 2013
I do not get any pay at all from military service.the only income we have is my wife's SS.i am still trying to fight for mine but there is no help from anybody in the meantime.we were told by a worker at the foodstamp office that if we separated she could get help.after twenty years of marriage?with a teenager in the home?my attorney left me high and dry after the hearing,I was told by my brother in law that he had to go to our congressman and he got his quickly after that!
EBT Recipient

Campbellsville, KY

#845 Dec 22, 2013
I currently receive Food Stamp Benefits. I Lost My Job at Ft. Knox when my company's contract expired. I have worked from the day I turned 16. I live in my house with my two young children. I don't receive cash from the government. I am allowed to purchase ONLY RAW FOOD with my EBT card. No cooked hams, Chinese Buffets, Cigarettes nor Gasoline. Me & My children continue to eat Ramen noodles & Bologna. Dont Judge EVERYONE receiving Government assistance. Some of "US" are in fact legit and trying.
2true

Indianapolis, IN

#846 Dec 23, 2013
no one wrote:
when you use an EBT card on food you do not get charged taxes on your purchase... otherwise the government would be taxing themselves.... if you buy a bottle of soda that is .99 with cash you get charged $1.06?$1.05? but with EBT food benefits it is only .99 ..... and no you cannot buy a baked ham or fried chicken from a deli but you can buy lunch meat... and if someone is drawing K-tap from the government (child support when the other parent refuses to pay or cant be found) you do get the cash benifits on your EBT card just like a debit card...
Food is tax free here in IN...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alison Grimes, Not No, But Hell No! 35 min Tough Love 84
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 57 min Khatru 130,549
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 1 hr GoodRiddanceMicha... 1,538
clerks office hours 1 hr Ronnie Reagan 2
anthony sims (May '09) 2 hr Not getting burne... 30
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 4 hr Doug77 10,291
dont donate to goodwill (Jun '11) 4 hr hmmmm 85
•••
•••

Somerset Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Somerset People Search