Restaurants that take EBT cards "food...
Signer1

United States

#629 Jan 31, 2013
lucy wrote:
<quoted text> At walmart you can buy stuff from the deli with foodstamps as long as it's not hot. Idk anything about the taxes, you may be right.
. Any grocery store, Publix also. No hot food, but cold from deli is fine. So much for the homeless. Guess they have to build a fire to heat their chicken .
Lynn

United States

#630 Feb 7, 2013
Huh wrote:
No restaurant is able to accept EBT cards. It's not possible. Some people do receive money (not welfare checks) on EBT cards. Oh, and of course one of the credit cards, I'm not sure which one, has a flag background that resembles the food stamp card. I don't know why you find it your business to look so hard at someone elses credit card though. I have heard of some of the stores ran by foreigners ringing up gas and cigarettes as grocery and charging it to EBT card.
Thank you for telling this person to mind their own business. There's almost always more to the story.
never know

Astoria, NY

#631 Feb 7, 2013
I'd always been one to judge ppl on fs thinking most were abusers. Then my husband lost his job, wed exhausted our savings and he couldn't find steady work in construction. Last resort when we'd spent our last quarters to buy milk was to get help. Our car was newer, but seriously behind. Our clothes were nice (inexpensive) but we've always dressed clean-cut...I hated using the card feeling like I didn't "look" like I needed it. But fact was, we did!! A couple months went buy n my hubby went back to work n we no longer needed assistance. Now I try not to judge those on FS because I know there are people who abuse it and don't try their hearts out to go to work...but the fact is, I don't know personal situations and it's hard to know the abusers versus the desperate just by looking:-/
never know

Astoria, NY

#632 Feb 7, 2013
Oh, and yes he'd have worked at mickey D's had there been fast food places in our tiny town...bottom line is there are circumstances to every circumstance and like it has been said before don't judge when u've never been there. And for the idiot talking about single Mom's..1 my husbands probably paid more in taxes is one day than u do all year. 2 ur right, most single moms r dumb cuz their dead beat ex was a dead beat from the get and totally forth coming about the future of not paying CS! Seriously???? I thank God Im not a Single Mom...but even not knowing first hand I have a HUGE respect for single moms ESPECIALLY those going to school to obtain a career to better her and her children's future. Those are the instances govt assistance was created in the first place....the world would be a grim place if our ppl didn't have options/help in desperate situations.....go eat a towel, the rest of us are trying to have an adult conversation!!!
never know

Astoria, NY

#633 Feb 7, 2013
Negative wrote:
My wife stood on line at Walmart behind a woman with 3 carts full of pineapple juice. The woman paid with an EBT card. The cashier then commented to my wife that the woman uses her EBT card to buy stock for the mexican grocery store she owns. My wife followed the woman to the mexican store and watche the.woman restock her shelves with case after case after case of Walmart pineapple juice, which she then resells for PURE profit. The woman even charges sales tax on something she got for free. I wonder if the woman PAYS any taxes.
Wow!!!!!!!!!! That's insane!! Did or wife report her?? If not she should....
never know

Astoria, NY

#634 Feb 7, 2013
hashelp wrote:
I am in a family where only i receive unemployment i have a two year old. I receive snap benefits. I wish oeople would stop making snap judgements on people. Dont get me wrong there are people who milk the system. I am embaressed to use mine sometimes. I have a coach pocketbook an engagement ring and wedding band. People have to realize people have these things before falling on hard times. I lost my job a good one almost a year ago and i thank god i qualify. My husband collects nothing so before u judge walk a mile in someones shoes. Who cares what a person eats? Is everyone going to start policing what they buy? As far as fast food what if u r on the road with a hungry child and have no money on u? Believe me thete are people who take advantage and their time will come.

Took the words right out of my mouth...I drove a decent car, had a decent house, dressed well, by any standards, I didn't look like I needed assistance. However, all of these decent items were obtained BEFORE my husband lost his job and the lil money we did have was going to utilities & nacessaties like utilities, car payment, mortgage,& gas to get my husband to job interviews. Had we not qualified, we'd all have been on the streets with no way of getting the job he was finally blessed with. There are people who are abusers and 'lifers' who have no intention of getting back on their OWN feet.. but there are also people who use it for exactly what it's meant for and would not have "made" it with out!
jwlz

Santa Rosa, CA

#635 Feb 8, 2013
Me n my husband had to get on cash n welfare assistance for the past couple of mobths because he served n our country n they cut all our benefits including medical cold tutkey. I would have to agree being in both sides being in the hellping and getting help that they do overly give benefits here in california but I try to help my family members with groceries if they need it since I jave enough and I know of many ppl who really don't need it at all because they r just taking advantage of it but in the wrong way so I'm glad they made that law to where u cam only receive help up to four years brcause that it more than enough time to set up a plan n work towards it. You can even relocate if in ur area all u can get is a seasonal job. Thank u tho to those that work hard n help us I am very appreciative n will b there shortly as well. We have set up a plan to where we will b off in our first year or less of cash aid with Gods help. But if its any concolation God blesses those who help the poor n those who aren't going to do anything but try n beat the system thrh end up with nun n the end.
muahhhh

United States

#636 Feb 8, 2013
What is to all you should worry about ur self before others there is worse things going on then people buying food to eat!
muahhhh

United States

#637 Feb 8, 2013
Omgee people now and days dont have anything better to do then follow people talk about stoker u should report ur self while ur at it
Just me

United States

#638 Feb 9, 2013
FYI, unemployment cards look just like EBT cards & can be used anywhere, even online.
thomasyarborough 1

Concord, NC

#639 Feb 15, 2013
Saw two college students recently buy 6 name brand sodas, a huge box of Banquet frozen chicken, 6 bags of name brand chips, and a large box of frozen hot pockets at 10:30pm at Walmart on a Saturday night. They were high and had the munchies. All at tax payer expense. My wife and I budget $400.00 a month for groceries for a family of 4. In North Carolina a family of 4 is allotted $648 a month in food stamps by the government. There are no restrictions on what kind of food can be bought. In fact you can buy all frozen prepared microwave food, steak, ribs, lamb chops.etcTime for the government to restrict what can be purchased like the WICK program.
thomasyarborough 1

Concord, NC

#640 Feb 15, 2013
thank u i totally agree wrote:
<quoted text> thank u i totally agree. There's people out there that would die for the stuff we have. Some people just take advantage of other people
I make a lunch every night before bed. Get up off your fanny and make a sandwich. My tax dollars shouldn't pay for your cook at Subway.
Just me

Sun Prairie, WI

#641 Feb 15, 2013
U can't pay for food at reasturants with ebt food but cash I'd say you can. And if you did pay for food at the reasturant you would probably be cut out bc the government looks at where u spend it, I'm sure no reasturant accepts them on the food.
Ed Speece

United States

#642 Feb 16, 2013
Huh wrote:
No restaurant is able to accept EBT cards. It's not possible. Some people do receive money (not welfare checks) on EBT cards. Oh, and of course one of the credit cards, I'm not sure which one, has a flag background that resembles the food stamp card. I don't know why you find it your business to look so hard at someone elses credit card though. I have heard of some of the stores ran by foreigners ringing up gas and cigarettes as grocery and charging it to EBT card.
That is not true. I watched a woman use a "lone star" ebt card at Taco Bell, when she saw me looking at her with disgust, she started a CAT-5 chimpout, but quickly stopped with the TNB when I pointed to a uniformed policeman eating at a nearby table.

“I been hangin' on every word.”

Level 5

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#643 Feb 17, 2013
Ed Speece wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not true. I watched a woman use a "lone star" ebt card at Taco Bell, when she saw me looking at her with disgust, she started a CAT-5 chimpout, but quickly stopped with the TNB when I pointed to a uniformed policeman eating at a nearby table.
You are in Texas. This is Irvine, Kentucky...a very tiny town with very different laws. I doubt the two overlap quite as much regarding their EBT/foot stamp cards. In Kentucky normally we have pretty strict rules, but people get around them.
hmm

Seattle, WA

#644 Feb 18, 2013
So my husband, who fought for our country and now barely makes enough money while trying to get back on our feet after the army, doesn't deserve the food stamps YOU self-righteous people "work so hard for"? Get off your high-horse and open your minds to the possibility that not everyone on food stamps is on it to waste YOUR money. Many of us have more than EARNED the ASSISTANCE and will use it until we no longer need it. Which hopefully won't be too long. My children deserve a monthly pizza night as well. What is it to you if I use my food stamps to pay for it or not. I never have before and probably never will, but that's besides the point. When I first received my EBT, I was ecstatic to be able to afford fresh fruits, veggies and meat. No more scraping together for unhealthy canned food. I could just as well be loading my shopping cart with Donuts, soda, candy and chips at the grocery store. Pick your battles and complain about something important. DO something about it if it bothers you so much. Don't sit around and offend people you know nothing about because you think their family doesn't deserve the right to buy a darn pizza. You know what? When our monthly EBT runs out, we can't buy any food, just like you can't when your money runs out so If we can find it in our budget to buy a treat for our family, what's it to you? It's not an unlimited resource that gets replenished whenever we "waste" it.

“I been hangin' on every word.”

Level 5

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#645 Feb 18, 2013
hmm wrote:
So my husband, who fought for our country and now barely makes enough money while trying to get back on our feet after the army, doesn't deserve the food stamps YOU self-righteous people "work so hard for"? Get off your high-horse and open your minds to the possibility that not everyone on food stamps is on it to waste YOUR money. Many of us have more than EARNED the ASSISTANCE and will use it until we no longer need it. Which hopefully won't be too long. My children deserve a monthly pizza night as well. What is it to you if I use my food stamps to pay for it or not. I never have before and probably never will, but that's besides the point. When I first received my EBT, I was ecstatic to be able to afford fresh fruits, veggies and meat. No more scraping together for unhealthy canned food. I could just as well be loading my shopping cart with Donuts, soda, candy and chips at the grocery store. Pick your battles and complain about something important. DO something about it if it bothers you so much. Don't sit around and offend people you know nothing about because you think their family doesn't deserve the right to buy a darn pizza. You know what? When our monthly EBT runs out, we can't buy any food, just like you can't when your money runs out so If we can find it in our budget to buy a treat for our family, what's it to you? It's not an unlimited resource that gets replenished whenever we "waste" it.
You could just as easily use your logic to justify going and stealing a hot pizza. Yet the logic of "we DESERVE a hot meal" doesn't hold up. You deserve nothing--none of us do, myself included. We are blessed to live in an amazing country of opportunity, where we have the chance to succeed. Not all of us do, and many of us have bouts of bad luck. However the generosity of others through the welfare system allows people down on their luck to have a chance to survive and get back on their feet.

Your husband's hard work is honorable, but it doesn't give you any right to use his noble sacrifice as an excuse to take as much as you can. The system is there to allow you to get back on your feet or survive if you are unable to do so on your own--it is designed with discomfort in mind as encouragement to find a better solution over time.
you are all stupid

United States

#646 Feb 22, 2013
Tracy- you're a f*cking idiot!!! WIC should be done away with because of "lazy baby making moms" Have you considered the fact that WIC provides formula and baby food to BABIES of families with little to no income!! I've never read such ignorance in my entire life. WIC is not federally funded, it is a locally funded program and without it, I am sure many children would starve. Sometimes a mother attempts breastfeeding mostly because she is unable to afford the outrageous price of formula, but what happens when she is just unable to produce enough to satisfy her newborn? You are saying she shouldn't be allowed to have a means to provide the vital nutrients her baby needs? I'M SO SICK OF SEEING ALL YOU IGNORANT, SELFISH BASTARDS B*TCHING ABOUT SINGLE MOTHERS GETTING ASSISTANCE!!! SOME WOMEN END UP LEAVING AN ABUSIVE HUSBAND AND HAVE NO WAY TO PROVIDE FOR THEIR BABIES BESIDES ASSISTANCE. F*CK ALL YOU RACIST WHITE SUPREMISTS WHO THINK THE WORLD REVOLVES AROUND YOU. If somebody has foodstamps and they buy soda and chips that's their business. You get to buy whatever the hell you want right? So why can't people on assistance provide ice cream or pizza every once in a while for their children? Children are oblivious to real life situations and don't know the difference between ebt ice cream and ice cream paid for with cash.. UGGGH you stuck up people make me sick!!! And yall wonder why people snap out and go on killing sprees

Level 2

Since: Oct 09

#647 Feb 22, 2013
knowing wrote:
some people get government cash on ebt cards as well as just cash for food. b/c with just "food stamps" you cant buy meals at resturaunts. period.
That is WRONG!
Several state allow SNAP/EBT/Foodstamp card holders to buy fast food and pre-cooked food with foodsatmps!
California began by designating illegals as "Victims of Trafficking" because Coyotes brought them across the border!
Then they said they are homeless and have no place to store or cook food so let them have Pizza Hut, KFC, etc.

http://www.ebtproject.ca.gov/CommercialInform...

BTW all the states that do this are also have "sanctuary cities" for illegals (and Democrat strongholds).
Minit

United States

#648 Mar 2, 2013
I used to feel just like the majority of you and food cards are definitely abused. Now I'm on the other side.,unfortunately. Didn't ask for any help til we had no option left. Not fun at all. I'm very appreciative and grateful for temp help. People that stay on this assistance are just lazy and undriven and takers. Thank you to all who pay their taxes. I pray you never have to see this side.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min North Mountain 156,570
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 49 min gladthelakeisback 34,091
What Can We Do to Help? (Jul '15) 2 hr Lordsblessings 9
the music thread (Jan '12) 7 hr _Dumpling_ 565
any vegans in somerset? (Apr '10) 8 hr Gomer-ez 46
R.I.P. Christen Tucker 11 hr saddened 17
Word Association (Feb '09) 11 hr Princess Hey 12,308

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages