Restaurants that take EBT cards "food...

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#47 Feb 4, 2011
Well put, Diesel. Very well put.
Oh yeah

United States

#48 Feb 4, 2011
One thing that pissed me off to no end about gov assistance is that I tried to go to the college and I wasn't eligible because I work. I know of people who are "professional students" who go for years and don't work, never get any kind of certification in anything because I guess they get money for going to school. I get to pay for them to make more money if they choose to.
reform now

Mount Vernon, KY

#49 Feb 4, 2011
This tax payer rip off needs serious reform some folk get 800-900+ a month on this program. It is one medicaide is the only system abused more than the ebt system.

No end in sight just more fleecing of the working middle class. with higher prices they have increased these programs but the working person who has paid for this has not had decent increases in pay in proportion to what things cost to maintain the balance. Most of us middle class are moving toward the bottom it is not encouraging folks to go to work.
just my 2

Greenbrier, AR

#51 Feb 4, 2011
i wish they had to turn in food receipts at the end of each period 3 - 6 months whenever they reapply~~the systems sucks .
Dogma

Corbin, KY

#53 Feb 5, 2011
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
When someone is on govt assistance, I have no problem with why they are on it. What I DO have a problem with is seeing, as someone else said, carts full of junk food and expensive cuts of meat, seafood, things that I as a non govt supported citizen can't even afford sometimes. Many times you see them getting into brand new cars. Some wearing more gold jewelry than I even own altogether. Of course, you can't tell if the car is theirs or not, but chances are...
That's the problem I have and we all know that it's a huge problem. I saw a kid of around 18, purchase a cell phone a few months back at one of the Dollar General stores. Then he paid for two %20.00 prepaid phone cards, cash mind you.(I think they were $20.00 ones, it's been a while back now) Anyway, he THEN proceeded to pull out an EBT card to buy two bags of powdered donuts, four candy bars, and some soda pops.
I don't "spy" on what people use to pay for their purchases with on a normal day, but the cashier was having trouble ringing up his order and I was stuck directly behind this kid. I couldn't help but notice...
I've hit hard times and had to sell things to get by. I know how to survive without an EBT card. I'd like to think that if I needed it, they would grant one to me for a short period of time, but I'd probably have too many assets. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to live responsibly, does it??
Wha wha wha

Location hidden

#54 Feb 5, 2011
Dogma wrote:
<quoted text>Wha wha wha
You've apparently got quite an issue with me. Enjoy chasing me around the threads, do you? How pitiful.. LOL!!

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#55 Feb 5, 2011
Iffen they chase me , quite often they step in somethang smelly -

Location hidden

#56 Feb 5, 2011
Knowitall9 wrote:
Iffen they chase me , quite often they step in somethang smelly -
This one's user name is already close on the mark. I have all the time in the world...

Ain't retired life a grand thang??
:)
tifany

Chattanooga, TN

#59 Feb 10, 2011
everybody needs to keep their damn thoughts to theirself. i am a 29 year old single mother of 3 young boys, as well as a full time student in college trying to make my boys lives better. and yes i get ebt food, not cash. i don't work right now because i can't do my boys and full time classes and pass right now. and it is extra hard for me i have learning problems which henders me in learning like some people do. i have been in college for 6 years because of that, as i get futher in my classes the harder it gets. so because of all that i could not feed my kids without food stamps,i have been in the program for about 10 years, i was also on section 8 for 7 years, got off 3 years go. i am a very poor mother and it is hard for me to make it without my education that i am trying to get not only for myself but for my boys. so on that opint ya'll and whoever needs to keep their damn thoughts to theirself.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#60 Feb 10, 2011
tifany wrote:
everybody needs to keep their damn thoughts to theirself. i am a 29 year old single mother of 3 young boys, as well as a full time student in college trying to make my boys lives better. and yes i get ebt food, not cash. i don't work right now because i can't do my boys and full time classes and pass right now. and it is extra hard for me i have learning problems which henders me in learning like some people do. i have been in college for 6 years because of that, as i get futher in my classes the harder it gets. so because of all that i could not feed my kids without food stamps,i have been in the program for about 10 years, i was also on section 8 for 7 years, got off 3 years go. i am a very poor mother and it is hard for me to make it without my education that i am trying to get not only for myself but for my boys. so on that opint ya'll and whoever needs to keep their damn thoughts to theirself.
29 & 3 kids -Single mother - In college for 6 years - Birth control - Put dad in jail for non support - Go back to elementary school and start over - College students should , at the very least , master spelling & punctuation - Sorry , you brought it up -
dontblame

Lexington, KY

#61 Feb 11, 2011
Is Tifany going to pay back the money if she ever gets a job. We have already supported her for ten years.
dontblame

Lexington, KY

#62 Feb 11, 2011
One of the reasons this country is in economic trouble is because there are too many young people that have drained mom and dads money and kept mom and dad from feeding the economy through investing more money and spending, to beat it all the parents let this happen. I know a woman drawing med card, food stamps, etc., says she doesn't want to work when she got laid off, if she worked she would not get her $70.00/week unemployment check.
THis is pothetic!
Diesel Tech

Brownsville, TN

#63 Feb 13, 2011
From what I know of FS is that if you are a college student you must work 20 hours a week to receive them.

Since: Feb 11

Somerset, KY

#64 Feb 13, 2011
No EBT wrote:
How is this possible I was at a local Chineese Restaurant and the guy that had a table of 6 paid with a EBT card. The worst thing is the little girl that waited on his whole family received no tip. I walked out right behind them and they had a good laugh about it. How is this legal. Is the system that screwed up.
You are an idiot! Stop worrying about everyone else an just take Care of you and yours! Just because it's a Foodstamp card doesn't mean they didn't have ebt cash... those cards do that now?! I don't even get them and know this crap it's pretty basic? Ur just another busybody that probably leads a boring life so u figure why not pic on the lower class! Well I used to be thAt lower class and there are still ppl who are lower class and trying to make ends meet. They aren't all druggies with 20 kids, and I had no idea that getting Foodstamps meant you weren't allowed to eat out. Boy, the restaurant and fast food industry would definitely fall?!
fed up

London, KY

#65 Feb 14, 2011
the only thing that bothers me about all this is that when someone works hard for a living and then really needs the help they can't get it. My husband and I both worked full time jobs until Dec 17 when he was laid off from his. I am still working full time. At that time i went to the local office and applied for food stamp benefits. I applied on Dec 27th and as of Today have still not heard anything from them. I have called several times to talk to my worker, always getting the answering machine. She has returned my call twice only to say that i will be getting a letter in the mail to let me know if we were approved or not... well it's been 1 1/2 months since i applied, i'm pretty sure i'm not getting any help , still haven't received any type of letter or anthing! How come when someone really needs the help they can't get it? If my husband and I were to seperate or if I were to quit my job I know we would qualify. It's just not fair that hard working people are not able to get the help when they need it. It's ok though, cause i know that i have Family that will help us through this time in our life. We've been through far worse than this and have always managed to come out on top!
Oh yeah

United States

#66 Feb 20, 2011
tifany wrote:
First of all this is topix. It was made to voice your opinions, concerns, and questions so I won't keep my thoughts to myself. I just think it's ridiculous that because I got a job to support myself when I got out of highschool instead of popping out babies and sitting on my butt I cannot get financial assistance to help make a better life for myself. I know some people can't work but I know a lot of lazy people who just suck the system dry while other people support them.
Think about it

Pineville, KY

#67 Feb 21, 2011
Think about where the money comes from that our government give to these people that abuse the system. "THE WORKING PEOPLE" I agree that for the most part most people need and deserve the EBT card, but it should be used for the purpose intented!
Diesel Tech wrote:
The EBT card stands for Elctronic Benefits Transaction card, cash and foodstamps alike are put on the card. And yes in KY you can buy food from Schwans on the EBT, and some pizzas from the stores.
To me, I don't care what food people buy with their card, their children deserve nice food and snacks as well as other children in my mind.
I do have to bite my "thoughts" when I see someone buy three cartfulls of soda and junk food(saw that at Save-a-Lot)but what they do with their stamps is their business and not mine.
I know that in VA a person is only allwed to receive benefits for five years over their lifetime. I agree with that, five years is plenty enough time to get back on your feet and get back to work earning a living.
Diesel Tech

Brownsville, TN

#68 Feb 22, 2011
@Think about it
Yea, in a later post I stated how upset me about the system being abused. I don't begrudge anyone for needing or using these programs, thats what they are there for, I just like seeing the system abused because it costs us all in the end.
Hmm

Carson, CA

#70 Feb 24, 2011
Everyone likes to complain but no matter how hard you complain you are not changing a thing. I understand your pain but all you can do is look at it from you end cant open your mind to what going on in the outside world? I hope you all have strokes and are unable to work or have triplets instead of one baby and we will see who is abusing. You all make me sick. I live off of my music and i help out the community as much as i can because i understand there are people less fortunate. And i know you guys will say i wont be able to live off music for ever. But i say to you this... I have my degree and my own label i have a few things to fall back on. And even still if i had nothing left id help someone else over me. Not expecting amything in return.
Peter

Manchester, NH

#72 Mar 10, 2011
hmmm wrote:
you people that seem to have attitudes about people that get help from the state are judgmental and ungreatful for what u have. i seem to have a prob with people getting something for free. u seem to think they are getting over on u. do u really think ur better than they are? maybe some day ull find urself in the same place unable to work. then ull think twice. and ur oppinion that they can work is bs. do u really think anybody wants to live like that. u need to be more accepting of people who have problems and realize god is in control of everything and not YOU! take care of urside of the street and stop worrying about what others are doing, maybe then ull realize u been doing something wrong as well! nobody's perfect, who the heck put u in the position of judgement anyway?
I have worked since I was fourteen years old.
I'm 52 now, and my last job really messed me up with post traumatic stress syndrome,(don't ever work for a relative).
Along with taking a thousand pills a day, and practically living at the doctors ,I have not been able to work in three years (it just won't go away). It's a living nightmare.
Without the states help with insurance and yes an EBT card I probably wouldn't have been able to survive.
Imagine doing almost absolutely nothing for three years.
Thank you for your post, it seems that not too many others look at the other persons point of view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min CriminalsForever 149,662
We need a Popeyes Or Lee's chicken Restaurant 45 min OldHarvey 7
No clothes 46 min OldHarvey 4
Stay out of fountain. 47 min OldHarvey 17
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr _Susan_ 32,240
reward::missing dog woodstock area near transmi... 1 hr CHOOD611 1
hillary or Trump and one reason why. 4 hr Question 57

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages