Restaurants that take EBT cards "foodstamps"

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 48
Next Last
No EBT

Somerset, KY

#1 Feb 1, 2011
How is this possible I was at a local Chineese Restaurant and the guy that had a table of 6 paid with a EBT card. The worst thing is the little girl that waited on his whole family received no tip. I walked out right behind them and they had a good laugh about it. How is this legal. Is the system that screwed up.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
SLM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#2 Feb 1, 2011
Why is it people think they are owed anything. I can not believe that a restaurant is able to accept an EBT card. The system is being taken advantage of and there is no end in sight.
knowing

Somerset, KY

#3 Feb 1, 2011
some people get government cash on ebt cards as well as just cash for food. b/c with just "food stamps" you cant buy meals at resturaunts. period.
Huh

East Bernstadt, KY

#4 Feb 1, 2011
No restaurant is able to accept EBT cards. It's not possible. Some people do receive money (not welfare checks) on EBT cards. Oh, and of course one of the credit cards, I'm not sure which one, has a flag background that resembles the food stamp card. I don't know why you find it your business to look so hard at someone elses credit card though. I have heard of some of the stores ran by foreigners ringing up gas and cigarettes as grocery and charging it to EBT card.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
nacg

Russell Springs, KY

#6 Feb 1, 2011
More job`s Not more handout`s..
Emu

Somerset, KY

#7 Feb 2, 2011
I have heard that honey baked and heavenly hams take the EBT. I knew a couple that would get a ham every month. Dam, I can only afford one at Christmas. Those things start off at are about $50.00.
justme

London, KY

#8 Feb 2, 2011
This isn't in Somerset but I know of a pizza place that lets ppl buy unbaked pizzas with foodstamps. You go in and order just like you would any pizza place and they put it all together, they just don't bake it. So yep some how restaurants can work around those rules. I know in the stores you can't buy hot food out of the deli with fs but you can cold stuff..so maybe that's it. And I've also heard of stores in somerset that let some people buy cigs and gas with foodstamps, not the cash on it. They just ring the amount up as food.
meeeee

United States

#9 Feb 2, 2011
nacg wrote:
<quoted text> Because WE as working Tax paying True AMERICAN fought for this COUNTRY people have had it with a bunch of I`LL not do nothing but you give me everything .. You all show shame on yourself .. your family .. and your country.. God Bless The USA..
he asked why someone would look so hard at someone else's card to see what it was and this is your answer? Well when someone looks really hard at yours and gets the number off it, remind yourself thats ok because this is America.
hmmm

Barbourville, KY

#10 Feb 2, 2011
I have to question why cash is EVER put on a food stamp card. Personally, I think they should do food stamps like they do WIC....You get x amount of veggies, x amounts of fruits, etc. But, I have a friend (in another state) who was telling me how her neighbor used food stamps to buy stuff from Schwans. I'm sorry but, if I am at a point where I need food stamps, I would stretch them as much as possible. Especially stocking up on non-perishables while I had the benefits.
Diesel Tech

Brownsville, TN

#11 Feb 2, 2011
The EBT card stands for Elctronic Benefits Transaction card, cash and foodstamps alike are put on the card. And yes in KY you can buy food from Schwans on the EBT, and some pizzas from the stores.
To me, I don't care what food people buy with their card, their children deserve nice food and snacks as well as other children in my mind.
I do have to bite my "thoughts" when I see someone buy three cartfulls of soda and junk food(saw that at Save-a-Lot)but what they do with their stamps is their business and not mine.
I know that in VA a person is only allwed to receive benefits for five years over their lifetime. I agree with that, five years is plenty enough time to get back on your feet and get back to work earning a living.
hmmm

Big Creek, KY

#13 Feb 2, 2011
you people that seem to have attitudes about people that get help from the state are judgmental and ungreatful for what u have. i seem to have a prob with people getting something for free. u seem to think they are getting over on u. do u really think ur better than they are? maybe some day ull find urself in the same place unable to work. then ull think twice. and ur oppinion that they can work is bs. do u really think anybody wants to live like that. u need to be more accepting of people who have problems and realize god is in control of everything and not YOU! take care of urside of the street and stop worrying about what others are doing, maybe then ull realize u been doing something wrong as well! nobody's perfect, who the heck put u in the position of judgement anyway?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

The land of harmony and peace

#14 Feb 2, 2011
When someone is on govt assistance, I have no problem with why they are on it. What I DO have a problem with is seeing, as someone else said, carts full of junk food and expensive cuts of meat, seafood, things that I as a non govt supported citizen can't even afford sometimes. Many times you see them getting into brand new cars. Some wearing more gold jewelry than I even own altogether. Of course, you can't tell if the car is theirs or not, but chances are...

That's the problem I have and we all know that it's a huge problem. I saw a kid of around 18, purchase a cell phone a few months back at one of the Dollar General stores. Then he paid for two %20.00 prepaid phone cards, cash mind you.(I think they were $20.00 ones, it's been a while back now) Anyway, he THEN proceeded to pull out an EBT card to buy two bags of powdered donuts, four candy bars, and some soda pops.

I don't "spy" on what people use to pay for their purchases with on a normal day, but the cashier was having trouble ringing up his order and I was stuck directly behind this kid. I couldn't help but notice...

I've hit hard times and had to sell things to get by. I know how to survive without an EBT card. I'd like to think that if I needed it, they would grant one to me for a short period of time, but I'd probably have too many assets. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to live responsibly, does it??
custody

United States

#15 Feb 2, 2011
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
When someone is on govt assistance, I have no problem with why they are on it. What I DO have a problem with is seeing, as someone else said, carts full of junk food and expensive cuts of meat, seafood, things that I as a non govt supported citizen can't even afford sometimes. Many times you see them getting into brand new cars. Some wearing more gold jewelry than I even own altogether. Of course, you can't tell if the car is theirs or not, but chances are...

That's the problem I have and we all know that it's a huge problem. I saw a kid of around 18, purchase a cell phone a few months back at one of the Dollar General stores. Then he paid for two %20.00 prepaid phone cards, cash mind you.(I think they were $20.00 ones, it's been a while back now) Anyway, he THEN proceeded to pull out an EBT card to buy two bags of powdered donuts, four candy bars, and some soda pops.

I don't "spy" on what people use to pay for their purchases with on a normal day, but the cashier was having trouble ringing up his order and I was stuck directly behind this kid. I couldn't help but notice...

I've hit hard times and had to sell things to get by. I know how to survive without an EBT card. I'd like to think that if I needed it, they would grant one to me for a short period of time, but I'd probably have too many assets. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to live responsibly, does it??
We have custody of a family members child and we are paid kinship care
Which comes on a ebt card and we can use like a debit card it has a pin number and we can use it to get cash off of.
Daughter

Corbin, KY

#16 Feb 2, 2011
I had my father with me a few weeks before he went into a nursing home and he had an EBT card that my brother got for him by telling half truths. I tried giving the card back and they said I had to use it for him. When he was with me I bought things for him with it and then I bought my own groceries with my own money. I really had a tough time using it the first time but after they told me I had to use it it was easier to use. When he was in the nursing home I bought him pop And yes, I used it and went out to get into rather new car after I bought groceries. So sometimes things aren't what they seem to be at times. These people buying groceries and getting into new cars might be buying things for someone else to help them out. You might give helping someone else out it might give you a different perspective on life and what people have to do to just eat.
Bald One

Corbin, KY

#17 Feb 2, 2011
I had my father with me a few weeks before he went into a nursing home and he had an EBT card that my brother got for him by telling half truths. I tried giving the card back and they said I had to use it for him. When he was with me I bought things for him with it and then I bought my own groceries with my own money. I really had a tough time using it the first time but after they told me I had to use it it was more comfortable for me to use it. When he was in the nursing home I bought him pop and goodies for his use. And yes, I used it and went out to get into rather new car after I bought groceries. So sometimes things aren't what they seem to be at times. These people buying groceries and getting into new cars might be buying things for someone else to help them out. You might give helping someone else out it might give you a different perspective on life and what people have to do to just eat.
Bald One

Corbin, KY

#18 Feb 2, 2011
Now I know why I've stopped posting on here. Stupid thing is crazy. It never said it was posted and I hadn't even put the right numbers in. I'm stopping again.
Old Tea Bag

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Feb 2, 2011
I think I read that EBT can't be used in restaurants or for deli food because tax is charged on prepared food? I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.

Maybe it wasn't an EBT card used at the restaurant but a debit card?
Bada Bada Boom

Corbin, KY

#20 Feb 2, 2011
I have actually seen credit and debit cards that look like an EBT so sometimes it might be different than we think it was. I guess the EBT still has the flag on it. I've seen some like that. Glad I don't need it but have no problem with the ones that DO need it.
lucy

London, KY

#21 Feb 2, 2011
Old Tea Bag wrote:
I think I read that EBT can't be used in restaurants or for deli food because tax is charged on prepared food? I can't remember and am too lazy to look it up.
Maybe it wasn't an EBT card used at the restaurant but a debit card?
At walmart you can buy stuff from the deli with foodstamps as long as it's not hot. Idk anything about the taxes, you may be right.
no one

Pittsburgh, PA

#22 Feb 2, 2011
when you use an EBT card on food you do not get charged taxes on your purchase... otherwise the government would be taxing themselves.... if you buy a bottle of soda that is .99 with cash you get charged $1.06?$1.05? but with EBT food benefits it is only .99 ..... and no you cannot buy a baked ham or fried chicken from a deli but you can buy lunch meat... and if someone is drawing K-tap from the government (child support when the other parent refuses to pay or cant be found) you do get the cash benifits on your EBT card just like a debit card...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 48
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 4 min Red_Forman 10,861
Word Association (Feb '09) 4 min Red_Forman 11,938
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 7 min gladthelakeisback 24,527
A-------Z names of places (Sep '12) 24 min OnTheRoad 102
This or That? (May '11) 33 min OnTheRoad 1,348
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 47 min OnTheRoad 14,839
wasabi any good? 1 hr OnTheRoad 4

Winter Storm Warning for Pulaski County was issued at March 04 at 4:10AM EST

Somerset Dating
Find my Match