Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81692 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Rumors

Winchester, KY

#63191 Jul 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to the club. I see sports much like going to a topless bar. If you are not allowed to participate, why watch? LOL
Hell, that's exactly the way i see it. But i'm sure many bouncers would call some manner of foul if i were in a topless bar, and i'd probably get barred from the... errr game.:O
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63192 Jul 17, 2012
But even if we were not allowed to participate in the game, we should at least be allowd to be the equipment handler. LOL
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63193 Jul 17, 2012
after debating with some girl for some length that I could tell her age by touching her bosom and she continued to resist, she finally gave in and said okay and I did.

Then she pertly said "Okay, when was I born"?

I answered "YESTERDAY".
Rumors

Winchester, KY

#63194 Jul 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
But even if we were not allowed to participate in the game, we should at least be allowd to be the equipment handler. LOL
That's why i'd get ejected from the game, improper equipment handling.:)
Hempburn

Pine Knot, KY

#63195 Jul 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
after debating with some girl for some length that I could tell her age by touching her bosom and she continued to resist, she finally gave in and said okay and I did.
I answered "YESTERDAY".
Careful Wolf, these days you may want to check the bottom before the top, there are some strange mixs out there.

The only sports I watch are the Olympics, UFC once in a while on PPV, and since I used to bike a lot, I like the tour de france.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63197 Jul 17, 2012
Someone's in a competitive mood and they won't like it if they think they've been pipped to the post. In fact, they could turn quite shirty, given half the chance. You've got a lot of energy now and it needs to be put to good use, so consider doing something that will work off any excess voltage. You'll soon feel edgy if you're expected to sit around doing nothing.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

Since: Apr 09

FARTSBURG

#63198 Jul 17, 2012
Hempburn wrote:
<quoted text>
It is just too stupid to use it's mommies keyboard, and it should be used to being kicked around for surely it has had it's smelly fairy dusted arse kicked it's whole miserable life. Sell mommies computer and get it's self some more crack and pills, maybe patch that hole in it's trailer wall. The only truthful word ever posted by it is "sorry" yep, it is a sorry chunk of rabid moosechunks that is true. Back under the bridge little troll.
Not my whole life, Humpaburn. I'm not dead yet. Dumbarse.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#63199 Jul 17, 2012
Ancient Wolf wrote:
I answered "YESTERDAY".
Please Old Scruffy Wolf Nuts, spare us the cornball jokes. The Tarzan thing is so old it's petrified. Scruffy, all this dirty talk. Touching her bosom, simply X-Rated indeed. You vulgar old fart.
Mama bear

Saugus, MA

#63200 Jul 17, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my whole life, Humpaburn. I'm not dead yet. Dumbarse.
You should improve your languange and manners.
Maybe, and I said maybe you'll find a suitable companion and even a husband. That dirty mind and nasty countenence will not take anywhere. And take a shower, preferibly every day. And be respectfull of your elders. Cut your hair and shave your mustache.And use underwear and i specifie: Clean.
Mama bear

Saugus, MA

#63201 Jul 17, 2012
Rumors wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why i'd get ejected from the game, improper equipment handling.:)
Are you listening "Farter"? "Improper equipment."
percy

Somerset, KY

#63202 Jul 17, 2012
Any big brother agents here today? Prove your rank & reply please. ASAP .
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63205 Jul 17, 2012
Sorry Una, just because you can "Sit-N-Bull" does not make you a direct descendant of the Great Lakota Chief Tatanka-Iyotanka.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63206 Jul 17, 2012
And the X-rated vulgar old fart is one who talks about his imaginary dirty exploits in the back of a VW microbus with his alter ego.

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Level 1

FARTSBURG

#63207 Jul 17, 2012
Mama bear wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you listening "Farter"? "Improper equipment."
All of my equippment is in perfect firing order. Would you like to sniff one of my big rippers?
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63209 Jul 17, 2012
I did my chores while you were still trying to rock the VW playing ping pong in the back.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63210 Jul 17, 2012
If you are really Irish, you are not only Scottsville's outcast but an outcast to your own ancestory and heritage with your stance against beer. I bet your favorite drink is a "Shirley- Temple".
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63212 Jul 17, 2012
Birds will have nice weather
Tuesday
tstorms Partly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain showers in the afternoon. High of 91F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Tuesday Night
nt_tstorms Partly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain showers. Low of 73F. Winds from the SW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Wednesday
chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. High of 95F with a heat index of 100F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Wednesday Night
nt_chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain in the evening, then mostly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm and a chance of rain. Low of 72F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Thursday
tstorms Mostly cloudy with thunderstorms and rain showers. High of 91F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
Thursday Night
nt_chancetstorms Overcast with a chance of a thunderstorm and rain in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Fog overnight. Low of 72F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Friday
cloudy Overcast. Fog early. High of 90F. Winds from the NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
Friday Night
nt_mostlycloudy Overcast. Fog overnight. Low of 59F. Winds from the NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday
partlycloudy Mostly cloudy in the morning, then partly cloudy. Fog early. High of 88F. Winds from the NNE at 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night
nt_partlycloudy Clear. Fog overnight. Low of 64F. Winds from the NE at 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday
partlycloudy Partly cloudy. High of 93F. Winds less than 5 mph.
Sunday Night
nt_partlycloudy Clear. Low of 64F. Winds less than 5 mph.
Monday
partlycloudy Partly cloudy. High of 95F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
nt_partlycloudy Partly cloudy. Low of 66F. Winds less than 5 mph.
Tuesday
partlycloudy Partly cloudy. High of 97F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday Night
nt_chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 73F. Winds from the WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Wednesday
chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 91F. Winds from the West at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Wednesday Night
nt_chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 72F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Thursday
chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 91F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Thursday Night
nt_chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 72F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Friday
chancetstorms Partly cloudy with a chance of a thunderstorm. High of 91F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
Friday Night
nt_chancetstorms Clear with a chance of a thunderstorm. Low of 72F. Winds less than 5 mph. Chance of rain 20%.
Ancient Wolf

Lexington, KY

#63213 Jul 17, 2012
It is obvious that you have an obsession with the wrong part of your anatomy. I knew you were distorted.
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63214 Jul 17, 2012
The variety of bird seeds and mixtures on the market is staggering. In most locations, however, the best all-around attractant is black-oil sunflower seed. This seed has a high meat-to-shell ratio; it is high in fat; and its small size and thin shell make it easy for small birds to handle and crack.(Striped sunflower seeds are larger and have thicker seed coats.)

Try starting with sunflower seeds, then experiment with other seeds or mixtures. A table showing the seed preferences of various bird groups can be seen at the bottom of this page. Remember that the table is a generalization, and that some bird species have different preferences in different parts of their ranges.

Read more about different types of seeds.

Suet

Suet is a good choice for attracting insect-eating birds. Most suet is beef kidney fat, which is inexpensive and available at many meat counters. Suet also can be purchased as processed cake that includes seeds, berries, and other ingredients. Be careful if you offer suet in hot weather; it may become rancid if it has not been specially processed.

Bushtits at suet feeder, by Lisa Schwab, Mt. Vernon, Washington

Nectar

To make nectar for hummingbirds, add one part sugar to four parts boiling water and stir. A slightly more diluted mixture can be used for orioles (one part sugar to six parts water). Allow the mixture to cool before filling the feeder.
Store extra sugar water in the refrigerator for up to one week (after that it may become moldy, which is dangerous for birds). Adding red food coloring is unnecessary and possibly harmful to birds. Red portals on the feeder, or even a red ribbon tied on top, will attract the birds just as well.

Hummingbird at nectar feeder, by Thomas Fedewa, Estacada, Oregon

IMPORTANT: Change nectar every three to five days to prevent mold and deadly fermentation. NEVER use honey or artificial sweeteners. Honey readily grows mold that can be harmful to hummingbirds. Do not put any kind of oil around feeding portals to deter bees; you might contaminate the nectar. If bees or wasps become a problem, try moving the feeder.

Other foods

Several species, including jays, nuthatches, and woodpeckers, readily consume peanuts. Be creative and see what you can attract with a variety of foods. Try popped popcorn (without salt or butter), hulled sunflower seeds, peanut hearts, soaked raisins, pieces of fruit (orioles like oranges), fruit seeds (melons, apples), grapes, or mealworms.

Grit

Birds “chew” their food in the muscular part of their stomach, the gizzard. To aid in the grinding, birds swallow small, hard materials such as sand, small pebbles, ground eggshells, and ground oyster shells. Grit, therefore, attracts many birds as a food supplementor even by itself. Oyster and egg shells have the added benefit of being a good source of calcium, something birds need during egg laying. If you decide to provide eggshells, be sure to sterilize them first. You can boil them for 10 minutes or heat them in an oven (20 minutes at 250 degrees). Let the eggshells cool; then crush them into pieces about the size of sunflower seeds. Offer the eggshell in a dish or low platform feeder, separate from your seed feeders.

Water

Since birds need water for drinking and bathing, they are attracted to water just as they are to feeders. You can purchase a bird bath or simply use dishes or shallow pans. Birds seem to prefer baths that are at ground level, but raised baths will attract birds as well. Change the water every day to keep it fresh and clean.

If the bath is on the ground, arrange a few branches or stones in the water so that birds can stand on them and drink without getting wet (this is particularly important in winter).
qwerty

Pine Mountain, GA

#63215 Jul 17, 2012
Birds (class Aves) are feathered, winged, bipedal, endothermic (warm-blooded), egg-laying, vertebrate animals. With around 10,000 living species, they are the most speciose class of tetrapod vertebrates. All present species belong to the subclass Neornithes, and inhabit ecosystems across the globe, from the Arctic to the Antarctic. Extant birds range in size from the 5 cm (2 in) Bee Hummingbird to the 2.75 m (9 ft) Ostrich. The fossil record indicates that birds emerged within theropod dinosaurs during the Jurassic period, around 160 million years (Ma) ago. Paleontologists regard birds as the only clade of dinosaurs to have survived the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event 65.5 Ma ago.

Modern birds are characterised by feathers, a beak with no teeth, the laying of hard-shelled eggs, a high metabolic rate, a four-chambered heart, and a lightweight but strong skeleton. All living species of birds have wings—the now extinct flightless moa of New Zealand were the only exception. Wings are evolved forelimbs, and most bird species can fly. Flightless birds include ratites, penguins, and a number of diverse endemic island species. Birds also have unique digestive and respiratory systems that are highly adapted for flight. Some birds, especially corvids and parrots, are among the most intelligent animal species; a number of bird species have been observed manufacturing and using tools, and many social species exhibit cultural transmission of knowledge across generations.

Many species undertake long distance annual migrations, and many more perform shorter irregular movements. Birds are social; they communicate using visual signals and through calls and songs, and participate in social behaviours, including cooperative breeding and hunting, flocking, and mobbing of predators. The vast majority of bird species are socially monogamous, usually for one breeding season at a time, sometimes for years, but rarely for life. Other species have polygynous ("many females") or, rarely, polyandrous ("many males") breeding systems. Eggs are usually laid in a nest and incubated by the parents. Most birds have an extended period of parental care after hatching.

Many species are of economic importance, mostly as sources of food acquired through hunting or farming. Some species, particularly songbirds and parrots, are popular as pets. Other uses include the harvesting of guano (droppings) for use as a fertiliser. Birds figure prominently in all aspects of human culture from religion to poetry to popular music. About 120–130 species have become extinct as a result of human activity since the 17th century, and hundreds more before then. Currently about 1,200 species of birds are threatened with extinction by human activities, though efforts are underway to protect them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 26 min Athenesword 151,876
Ugn (Aug '12) 4 hr Karen 13
whos the girl in mustang 6 hr tina 10
Dr. Reynolds 7 hr Luludooyou 8
Over Crowded Jail 7 hr Luludooyou 18
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 12 hr _Susan_ 32,748
word (Dec '11) 13 hr Red_Forman 29

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages