Survivors of H1N1
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Somebody

London, KY

#1 Oct 21, 2009
Please tell your story. Tell us what you first felt. What is your suggestion if infected. How long were you sick. Did you get better and then get more sick?
Help those of us to know what we should be looking for.
**Please**
well

London, KY

#2 Oct 21, 2009
I can tell you the details I read about the little 5 year old boy who died in TN from H1N1. He had all the flu symptoms:fever,body aches, etc. Then he seemed to get better. The next day he started getting worse again and died within 24 hours. That's one of the warning signs is when they get better and then suddenly take a turn for the worse. It was also mentioned in the article that doctors said to watch for a purplish color to the skin.
Worried

Brownsville, TN

#3 Oct 21, 2009
My daughter has it now. She first began by just saying she felt bad, dizzy, headache. She had a low grade temp. Within a few hours, she felt worse, slept all day. Went to children's clinic and they said she could return to school the next day. However, by morning her temperature was 102 and she felt worse. Went to after hours the next day (Children's Clinic was full up). By this time she had developed a terrible cough. Her test was negative for flu but they said she did have the flu b/c the CDC told them to consider it Swine Flu if a patient has several of the symptoms for flu. Today she is much much worse . . . and at this point I'm just praying the outcome will be OK.
well

London, KY

#4 Oct 21, 2009
Worried wrote:
My daughter has it now. She first began by just saying she felt bad, dizzy, headache. She had a low grade temp. Within a few hours, she felt worse, slept all day. Went to children's clinic and they said she could return to school the next day. However, by morning her temperature was 102 and she felt worse. Went to after hours the next day (Children's Clinic was full up). By this time she had developed a terrible cough. Her test was negative for flu but they said she did have the flu b/c the CDC told them to consider it Swine Flu if a patient has several of the symptoms for flu. Today she is much much worse ... and at this point I'm just praying the outcome will be OK.
I'm a mother so I can only imagine how worried you must be. Let's pray and leave her in God's hands. He is the best physician. I have already said a prayer for her. God bless you.
It isnt unless it is

Brownsville, TN

#5 Oct 21, 2009
You can't say that it's the swine flu if it isn't. That's like saying you had an almost heart attack. It either is or it isn't. Maybe these doctors around here are most of the reason people are running so scared? It sounds like they don't know what the heck they are saying to people. Too many are giving different information out and it's causing panic in worried parents. I am praying that your daughter doesn't have it. I'm going to claim it. She WILL get better. I claim it! God will heal her.
Betty Boo

Somerset, KY

#6 Oct 21, 2009
If you go to CDC website you will see 1 in 4 are hit hard, some will barely know they have it.I had it and Barely knew what exactly was wrong terrible headache tired lethargic. But i am 50 My daughter 12 has it and she was hit much harder headache high fever dry cough,then after that lots of nasal drainage. It is important that this drainage doesn't get into the lungs, that is when you get in trouble and you haer terrible things, because it turns to a viral pneumonia and affects breathing. Viral Pneumonia can only be treated symptomaticly, There are some antiviral drugs that have not been FDA approved that have been used on patients that helped. But the real scare is not the flu it is if it drains in chest and turns to staph pneumonia or viral pneumonia. I have found that WITH MY child Starting Tamaflue if possible within 48 hrs . if not symptomatic care .Lots of liquids, encourage children and adults to blow the cramp out of their noses consistantly and keep their fever down with motrin and tylenol. I have found with keeping this down she will drink more. I make sure I make her get up and sit and walk while temp down to prevent pneumonia. I hope I dont sound over powering I just know what worked for usa and I had worked with sick children many yrs.
well

London, KY

#7 Oct 22, 2009
Worried wrote:
My daughter has it now. She first began by just saying she felt bad, dizzy, headache. She had a low grade temp. Within a few hours, she felt worse, slept all day. Went to children's clinic and they said she could return to school the next day. However, by morning her temperature was 102 and she felt worse. Went to after hours the next day (Children's Clinic was full up). By this time she had developed a terrible cough. Her test was negative for flu but they said she did have the flu b/c the CDC told them to consider it Swine Flu if a patient has several of the symptoms for flu. Today she is much much worse ... and at this point I'm just praying the outcome will be OK.
How is she today?
voice of reason

Somerset, KY

#8 Oct 22, 2009
One important fact to not overlook is that people do not die simply from the h1n1 virus. It is from complications such as pneumonia, as stated above. However, the media isn't printing headlines saying people are dying from pneumonia complications from the flu. They are printing bold headlines saying H1N1 kills X amount of people. This is giving people a false sense of fear. I realize that H1N1 can be more potent simply because the body has not built up immunities to help fight it off. However, complications from influenza kill a large number of people every year. Only it didn't make the news. Another thing to remember is that this is not the first time the swine flu has made itself known. That being said, I will give an answer to the original posters question. My children have had the flu twice this year. I'm not sure if it was H1N1 or not, because both are treated the same. Both times started with a cough and runny nose followed by fever and then stomach upset. Again, both types of flu have the same symptoms. Another was correct in saying that the CDC (center for disease control, not just our local doctors) are assuming that most positive flu's are H1N1. There have also been several false negatives for the flu. Which is why they are still yet assuming it is the flu if you have all of the symptoms but a negative result on your swab. You shouldn't panic if you think you have it. Just make sure you take care of yourself. Use Tamiflu if you can and get some mucinex to keep the drainage from settling in your chest. I've heard that sudafed works well, too, if you are uninsured and cannot afford the tamiflu. The main thing is to keep the fluids going, not only to keep you hydrated but also to help thin the mucus and to not let chest congestion turn into pneumonia. Ofcourse, sensible caution is the smart thing, but this increasing panic from the public is not a good idea. Bad decisions are made under panic. Do some real research on your own and don't really only on the media for info. They make money off of your reaction to their stories!
voice of reason

Somerset, KY

#9 Oct 22, 2009
haha. Last line should have read don't rely, not don't really.
Somebody

London, KY

#10 Oct 22, 2009
Betty Boo wrote:
If you go to CDC website you will see 1 in 4 are hit hard, some will barely know they have it.I had it and Barely knew what exactly was wrong terrible headache tired lethargic. But i am 50 My daughter 12 has it and she was hit much harder headache high fever dry cough,then after that lots of nasal drainage. It is important that this drainage doesn't get into the lungs, that is when you get in trouble and you haer terrible things, because it turns to a viral pneumonia and affects breathing. Viral Pneumonia can only be treated symptomaticly, There are some antiviral drugs that have not been FDA approved that have been used on patients that helped. But the real scare is not the flu it is if it drains in chest and turns to staph pneumonia or viral pneumonia. I have found that WITH MY child Starting Tamaflue if possible within 48 hrs . if not symptomatic care .Lots of liquids, encourage children and adults to blow the cramp out of their noses consistantly and keep their fever down with motrin and tylenol. I have found with keeping this down she will drink more. I make sure I make her get up and sit and walk while temp down to prevent pneumonia. I hope I dont sound over powering I just know what worked for usa and I had worked with sick children many yrs.
Did you run a fever?
Truth

Brownsville, TN

#11 Oct 22, 2009
My friends grand kids had it, ages 4 and 3. Both had temps that reached 104 and are asthmatics. Children's Tylenol brought the fevers down, but had to be given regularly or the fever returned. One went to the Emergency department and was positive for H1N1 and the one who got sick second didn't go. The other one didn't go the the Emergency room simply because Mom and Dad already were told FACTS when the first one came down ill. One kid took Tamiflu, the other didn't. No antibiotics were prescribed. Both are fine and recovered. No one else in the house has come down with it and it's been 12 days so far since the fevers were brought down to normal. Regular hand washing and keeping things sanitized I'm sure had a lot to do with no one else getting it. Also putting a cap of bleach water in your dishes when you wash them, keeping tissues picked up, etc.

My niece had it. Eight years old and confirmed H1N1 with a temp of 103.5. She has no underlying medical conditions. Her symptoms other than the fever were upset stomach, no appetite, aches, congestion and headache. She was given no Tamiflu or antibiotics. Tylenol and extra fluids only. She was better within four days and was back to school two days after the fever was gone.

Four weeks ago, I had severe congestion and a low grade fever, accompanied with muscle aches, nausea and exhaustion. Couldn't walk across the room without being out of breath.(55 years old and asthmatic) Used an inhaler and nebulizer. Forced fluids and rested as much as I could. Took Tylenol for body aches and fever. Took two full weeks to get my lungs cleared out. I didn't go to the doctor. Didn't see the point in it. What were they going to to that I couldn't do for myself? Nothing.

So you see, none of us died. It's going to be a worse than normal flu season, but everyone is running scared. It's not going to kill every single person who gets it. I hope this helped some of you not to be so frightened. It'll run it's course. If you have symptoms that are really severe, then by all means seek care. You and only you know when you've reached that stage.
thank you

Brownsville, TN

#12 Oct 22, 2009
thank you 'truth' for putting this on here. it did help and its nice to read someone posting on here using there brains for a change. i hope we dont get it but its nice to hear what you told us and it does make me feel better to know what you all went thru. it made me take a deep breath and not worry so much now.
SO true

Brownsville, TN

#13 Oct 22, 2009
thank you wrote:
thank you 'truth' for putting this on here. it did help and its nice to read someone posting on here using there brains for a change. i hope we dont get it but its nice to hear what you told us and it does make me feel better to know what you all went thru. it made me take a deep breath and not worry so much now.
Yes thank you truth. It was helpful to hear what someone has went through for real.
Right

Brownsville, TN

#14 Oct 22, 2009
Good post.
git r done

Brownsville, TN

#15 Oct 22, 2009
Truth wrote:
My friends grand kids had it, ages 4 and 3. Both had temps that reached 104 and are asthmatics. Children's Tylenol brought the fevers down, but had to be given regularly or the fever returned. One went to the Emergency department and was positive for H1N1 and the one who got sick second didn't go. The other one didn't go the the Emergency room simply because Mom and Dad already were told FACTS when the first one came down ill. One kid took Tamiflu, the other didn't. No antibiotics were prescribed. Both are fine and recovered. No one else in the house has come down with it and it's been 12 days so far since the fevers were brought down to normal. Regular hand washing and keeping things sanitized I'm sure had a lot to do with no one else getting it. Also putting a cap of bleach water in your dishes when you wash them, keeping tissues picked up, etc.
My niece had it. Eight years old and confirmed H1N1 with a temp of 103.5. She has no underlying medical conditions. Her symptoms other than the fever were upset stomach, no appetite, aches, congestion and headache. She was given no Tamiflu or antibiotics. Tylenol and extra fluids only. She was better within four days and was back to school two days after the fever was gone.
Four weeks ago, I had severe congestion and a low grade fever, accompanied with muscle aches, nausea and exhaustion. Couldn't walk across the room without being out of breath.(55 years old and asthmatic) Used an inhaler and nebulizer. Forced fluids and rested as much as I could. Took Tylenol for body aches and fever. Took two full weeks to get my lungs cleared out. I didn't go to the doctor. Didn't see the point in it. What were they going to to that I couldn't do for myself? Nothing.
So you see, none of us died. It's going to be a worse than normal flu season, but everyone is running scared. It's not going to kill every single person who gets it. I hope this helped some of you not to be so frightened. It'll run it's course. If you have symptoms that are really severe, then by all means seek care. You and only you know when you've reached that stage.
i like the bleach in the dish water thing. hadnt thought of that.
To Inform

Brownsville, TN

#16 Oct 22, 2009
It isnt unless it is wrote:
You can't say that it's the swine flu if it isn't. That's like saying you had an almost heart attack. It either is or it isn't. Maybe these doctors around here are most of the reason people are running so scared? It sounds like they don't know what the heck they are saying to people. Too many are giving different information out and it's causing panic in worried parents. I am praying that your daughter doesn't have it. I'm going to claim it. She WILL get better. I claim it! God will heal her.
It's not that simple! Yes, you can have Swine Flu and your flu test come back negative. You will not test positive for flu until your body makes antibodies. Therefore, you have had Swine Flu but do not test positive. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) have published a list of symptoms ... you have fever plus 2 or 3 other symptoms ... you have Swine Flu ...even w/negative test. Some people have died w/Swine Flu and the flu test was never "positive".
Worried

Brownsville, TN

#17 Oct 22, 2009
well wrote:
<quoted text>
How is she today?
Today is the first day of no temp. She is feeling much better, still has a cough. Thanks for asking.
Wow

Brownsville, TN

#18 Oct 22, 2009
To Inform wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not that simple! Yes, you can have Swine Flu and your flu test come back negative. You will not test positive for flu until your body makes antibodies. Therefore, you have had Swine Flu but do not test positive. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) have published a list of symptoms ... you have fever plus 2 or 3 other symptoms ... you have Swine Flu ...even w/negative test. Some people have died w/Swine Flu and the flu test was never "positive".
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. how do you people twist all this around so wrong. it must be the air around here. stupid dust all around us.
well

London, KY

#19 Oct 22, 2009
Worried wrote:
<quoted text>
Today is the first day of no temp. She is feeling much better, still has a cough. Thanks for asking.
You're welcome. I'm so glad she's feeling better. Prayer works.
Have Mercy

Brownsville, TN

#20 Oct 22, 2009
You CANNOT have OR be a carrier of swine flu unless you HAVE the H1N1 virus. It is a totally different strain of flu virus. What don't you all understand about that fact? Has it turned into some kind of status elite if you say have swine flu now? Are you all looking for sympathy somewhat? Do you think you have skin cancer because you have a mole? I guess some of you would. Please quit taking things out of context when you read information!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 18 min Searching for him 166,390
eclipse glasses 2 hr Solar one 4
Grace Marie Martin has Warts 3 hr That_crazy 5
Big boobs are gross, who agrees? (Apr '09) 3 hr heckyea 261
Question about UGN. (Nov '11) 3 hr left 7
Virgin Wanted 7 hr kitty kat slap 3
Sick of you John whang! 10 hr Timothy 5

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages