Harbor Restaurant
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
George Appleby

Corbin, KY

#2 May 12, 2008
I eat there often and most of these problems are news to me. They have had a lot of turnover in the waiters staff this year. Maybe you have caught the bad ones before they got weeded out.

The part about it taking an hour and 15 minutes to eat is probably about right. I have been eating there for going on 20 years and it has always been slow. I never minded it being slow myself and now that they serve drinks, I mind it even less.

The place stays packed in the evening and usually there is wait for a table. they must be doing something right. You could always try Renos if you like redneck joints, Tumbleweeds if you like a tatoo show with dinner, or go to the Golden corral and wait on yourself.

Level 1

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#3 May 12, 2008
OH THIS IS GONNA GET NASTY!
well hell

Somerset, KY

#4 May 13, 2008
What about River House ...what has been going on there?
momma duck

Wilmore, KY

#5 May 13, 2008
That place has the worst service I have ever seen. We ate there for my boyfriends birthday and the waitress was a snot!!!!!
Mamma

Corbin, KY

#6 May 13, 2008
The Harbor has had its share of problems, (especially in the past year), but things are looking up for JD and the Harbor family. I hope that you all will give us another chance. Things are really improving.
The Water Boy

Corbin, KY

#7 May 13, 2008
"This is our grilled chicken sandwich, it is a grilled breaded sandwich." What the hell. I've eaten the grilled chicken sandwich at the Harbor before. It has never came fried, comes with bbq sause, bacon, and swiss cheese. How long ago was this visit? That's the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Steve

Corbin, KY

#9 May 14, 2008
Mamma, and Water Boy are rite, the Harbor is a great restaurant. The staff, and new menue is better now than a long time. I go there all most every night, to eat, drink, and be merry
JHE

United States

#10 May 15, 2008
Steve wrote:
Mamma, and Water Boy are rite, the Harbor is a great restaurant. The staff, and new menue is better now than a long time. I go there all most every night, to eat, drink, and be merry
steve, i presume you have never eaten at a resaurant outside of somerset. while the harbor is one of the better places to eat in somerset, it is by no means a "great restaurant". next time you go, spend less time drinking and your taste buds may work a lil better. this is an observation, nothing more, nothing less. do not let this upset you, and please continue to eat, drink, and be merry. peace my brother.
Monitor

Corbin, KY

#11 May 21, 2008
If you get a waitress that is drinking alcohol while working then you can't expect good service. I want the waitress to be sober and let me do the drinkin.
Charlie

Corbin, KY

#12 May 21, 2008
Monitor,
Employees of The Harbor are not alowed to drink on duty. The owners and managers are very strict with the rules out there. They don't tolerate BS of any kind. You must have mistken The Harbor for another resturant in Burnside. Maby(Pizza and Pub?)
Ashley

Hazard, KY

#13 May 21, 2008
My boyfiend took me there they have great food. But the servers r nasty they need to hire new people to work 4 them
Hugawolf

Lexington, KY

#14 May 21, 2008
JHE wrote:
<quoted text>
steve, i presume you have never eaten at a resaurant outside of somerset. while the harbor is one of the better places to eat in somerset, it is by no means a "great restaurant". next time you go, spend less time drinking and your taste buds may work a lil better. this is an observation, nothing more, nothing less. do not let this upset you, and please continue to eat, drink, and be merry. peace my brother.
Here! Here!
Monitor

Corbin, KY

#15 May 21, 2008
I haven't been to the Pizza and Pub yet. I'm glad the owners and managers are strict with the rules. That's the way it should be. How do they enforce it? Smell the employees breath for alcohol?
Charlie

Corbin, KY

#16 May 22, 2008
Im sorry Monitor, I'm not the smartest person, but I can tell you I know when some one is drunk, and I don't have to smell their breath to tell.
toby

Hudson, OH

#17 May 24, 2008
suks
Charlie

Corbin, KY

#18 May 25, 2008
What suks Toby? The fact that they smell it, or the fact that your drunk, or the fact that you have never experinced The Harbor Restaurant.
Charlie

Corbin, KY

#19 May 25, 2008
Ever one knows that that the oringal post was delited?

“Screamingly sentient”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#20 May 25, 2008
To be fair, having been a bartender, when you work around alcohol all night, smell isn't a sign. If you've ever changed a keg in a hurry and had it spray you, trust me, you WILL smell like alcohol. Also if someone drinks on their own time, 10% of the alcohol imbibed is expelled through the skin via sweat. Trust me, a lot of restaurant workers drink on their own time and might sweat it out later. It's not pleasant, it's biology (regardless of hygiene or cologne/perfume).

Even servers spill things on themselves (or their clothes) when bussing a table. It happens, getting a whiskey-sour stain is no less common than getting a ketchup stain.

Unless you know the person (or they are shit-faced), it can be hard to determine intoxication. TIPS and other training deals with this. Some people are more gregarious than others, or louder, or friendlier. That's not, necessarily, an indicator of intoxication.

And, to be truthful, the restaurant industry carries one of the highest rates of drug and alcohol abuse of any profession. Not because the workers are drunks and low-lifes, but because it is a much more highly stressfull job than the onlooker would assume. Restaurant manager ranks only below Air Traffic Controller and above Police Officer for "Most Stressfull Jobs".

I would rather have a friendly server who's had a few, versus a stressed-out potential serial-killer.
thor

Hudson, OH

#21 May 25, 2008
its ok
Charlie

Corbin, KY

#22 May 25, 2008
Well put Spades. I would have never been able to explain it like that. Thank you for your post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 50 min ChromiuMan 166,439
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 1 hr Princess Hey 13,671
Virgin Wanted 1 hr Montezuma XVI 7
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 hr gladthelakeisback 36,854
Question about UGN. (Nov '11) 2 hr John whang 10
Anyone had surgery by Dr. Nadim? (Apr '10) 2 hr John whang 25
Sick of you John whang! 2 hr John whang 6

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages