Should the county go WET?

Should the county go WET?

Created by LOL on Oct 21, 2013

509 votes

Click on an option to vote

YES, it makes sense

NO!!!

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LOL

Pineville, KY

#1 Oct 21, 2013
With the amount of tax money the county will lose to the city, should they explore alcohol sales as a way to shore up their faltering finances?

Would they even consider it?
MommaG

Somerset, KY

#2 Oct 21, 2013
I dont know if they WILL consider it but they definitely should. There's no reason not to. People coming from up north would stop in Eubank or Science Hill before they made it to Somerset. I think I seen the ABCs report on the amount the city made from the last year. Its a lot and the county would definitely put a dent in it. Sounds like to me the city is getting greedy.
shell layley

Scottsburg, IN

#3 Oct 21, 2013
Absolutey yes yes yes it should

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#4 Oct 21, 2013
Yep !!-
shell layley

Scottsburg, IN

#5 Oct 21, 2013
Should county declare war against city?
lol

Pineville, KY

#6 Oct 25, 2013
You know, I could certainly get behind a mayoral candidate that came out in support of countywide sales.

Girdler really disappointed me when he was so wishy-washy about this issue when Somerset voted. "It's up to the voters, whatever they decide." Bull.

Jones really impressed with his certainty about supporting Burnside's package vote.

Will other candidates do the same? Or will they even take a stand one way or the other?

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 25, 2013
LOL wrote:
With the amount of tax money the county will lose to the city, should they explore alcohol sales as a way to shore up their faltering finances?
Would they even consider it?
I think you know my answer to that question.
cannonball

Somerset, KY

#8 Oct 25, 2013
It might as well.

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#10 Oct 25, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
They'd take a lot of tax money from the city if they did.
So?

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#12 Oct 26, 2013
Let's just try to keep Somerset and Burnside wet for now, folks, LOL!!! Allow THEM to reap all of the rewards that come from finally progressing forward.....

_-_Nope_-_

“Crossing the road”

Level 9

Since: Jun 12

I hope I make it!

#13 Oct 26, 2013
Yes it should!
USA Freedom

London, KY

#14 Oct 27, 2013
Whole state should be wet, Prohibition ended 80 years ago.
Falana

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 27, 2013
USA Freedom wrote:
Whole state should be wet, Prohibition ended 80 years ago.
The last time you were sober?
lol

Pineville, KY

#16 Oct 27, 2013
Ha!

No just went from 33 to 84.

Yeah, not stacking the ballot box at all, are they?

=D
whoa 1

Cecilia, KY

#17 Oct 27, 2013
somerset is greedy as they charge a alcohol tax for each drink you buy in a resturant. that does not seem fair at all. is it double taxation?
lol

Pineville, KY

#18 Oct 27, 2013
whoa 1 wrote:
somerset is greedy as they charge a alcohol tax for each drink you buy in a resturant. that does not seem fair at all. is it double taxation?
Most towns that are wet do that. I think state law prohibits class 1 and 2 cities from doing that, but class 3 and under certainly can.

Somerset is class 3.
crazy crazy

Somerset, KY

#20 Oct 28, 2013
The county can't handle what they've already got when it comes to law enforcement. I wouldn't vote for it unless they hired more law enforcement and changed some of what they have. I would also be concerned about who fiscal court would appoint their abc administrator. Would it be another family member?
dagassman

Greenbrier, AR

#21 Oct 28, 2013
crazy crazy wrote:
The county can't handle what they've already got when it comes to law enforcement. I wouldn't vote for it unless they hired more law enforcement and changed some of what they have. I would also be concerned about who fiscal court would appoint their abc administrator. Would it be another family member?
Frankly its ignorant of the county to not follow through and go wet. They are already going to have the same problems that being wet causes but they don't have any of the rewards.
To the poster above your right about class 3 and above cities being able to charge stiffer tax amounts because they are small cities. Thats why I am also for having the county/city merge so we would be a 1st rate city. The city/county would be funded much better than it is now because of it being in a better class and the individuals would be as well. The city would also get better rates on all the loans they take out and Somerset would be marked as the third largest city in KY. Sounds good to me...
lol

Somerset, KY

#22 Oct 28, 2013
dagassman wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankly its ignorant of the county to not follow through and go wet. They are already going to have the same problems that being wet causes but they don't have any of the rewards.
To the poster above your right about class 3 and above cities being able to charge stiffer tax amounts because they are small cities. Thats why I am also for having the county/city merge so we would be a 1st rate city. The city/county would be funded much better than it is now because of it being in a better class and the individuals would be as well. The city would also get better rates on all the loans they take out and Somerset would be marked as the third largest city in KY. Sounds good to me...
It would be a class 2 city, possibly. There is absolutely no guarantee the state legislature would promote Somerset to a class 2 city, especially given the fact that the city didn't actually grow any, they just used a law to count the population differently.

City classes in Kentucky are set by the legislature's prerogative, not by any hard numbers. That is why Burnside was able to get class 4 status even though they fail the population test by 2400, and the reason Elizabethtown is only a class 4 city even though they have close to 30,000 people, way more than class 3 Somerset's.
dalio

Greenbrier, AR

#23 Oct 28, 2013
The reason Elizabethtowns only a class 4 city is because thats what they wanted it to be and asked the legislature to be (from my understanding). So they can be rewarded with more money to finance their city due to the increased tax they can charge. Your point about Burnside basically proves what I am saying. Burnside asked for their class and they got it.

And if Somerset did grow by 50 thousand people I am fairly certain the legislature would at the very least let us be class 2 if we asked to do so.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Can you DESPISE someone you once LOVED? (Jun '09) 56 min Bite 95
Name this Somerset resident - user name is crim... 1 hr Dummy 4
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr another viewer 171,877
Tucker McAlpin all American boy or complete scu... 2 hr whiterymes 6
easy does it 2 hr Curious george 15
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 3 hr Alain Vain 14,167
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 4 hr Hatti_Hollerand 38,551

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages