Tourist Commission in city

Tourist Commission in city

Posted in the Somerset Forum

Tourism

London, KY

#1 Apr 26, 2013
What does Somerset have to offer with a 4@ tax for hotels and probably restaurants.

A lake...no
Beautiful country side...no

I guess just a small sports park, water park and what?
dewayne

Louisville, KY

#2 Apr 26, 2013
Alcohol?
Bentley Pirates

London, KY

#3 Apr 29, 2013
rural development center

“smiling on a cloudy day”

Level 7

Since: Jan 09

Shakedown Street

#4 Apr 29, 2013
Tourism wrote:
What does Somerset have to offer with a 4@ tax for hotels and probably restaurants.
A lake...no
Beautiful country side...no
I guess just a small sports park, water park and what?
The actual hotels that are being taxed?

Let the county collect their 3%, already in place, on hotels outside the incorporated cities.

What I don't understand, why do you think the county deserves 3x more tax off hotel rooms compared to the city? Especially considering the fact that the county collects more tax yet pisses it away and can't pay their own bills, having to come to the city begging loans?
Westwood

London, KY

#5 Apr 30, 2013
Why do you think Somerset is just now doing this considering the fact that the county set this up years ago? Sometimes you seem to forget that Somerset is in the county.

“smiling on a cloudy day”

Level 7

Since: Jan 09

Shakedown Street

#6 Apr 30, 2013
Westwood wrote:
Why do you think Somerset is just now doing this considering the fact that the county set this up years ago? Sometimes you seem to forget that Somerset is in the county.
Somerset wants more tax revenue. They want the tourism tax; they want the occupational tax.

What has the county done to attract tourists or jobs? They opposed alcohol sales, which brings in both.

So now that Ohio boaters are more likely to stay in Somerset hotels and eat in Somerset restaurants, why should the anti-progress county receive 75% of the tourism hotel tax?
gonzo

London, KY

#7 Apr 30, 2013
Westwood wrote:
I believe one of the reasons that the city has decided to form their own tourism board is that they have no representation or input at the Somerset-Pulaski County Tourism Commission. There needs to be representatives on the present commission/board that are appointed by both the Fiscal court and the City of Somerset. That could go a long way to eliminating the proposed duplications of services. Just another one of those deals where there must be communication, cooperation and most important compromise between the city and county governments. Let us hope we see this happen.
wake up

North Vernon, IN

#8 Apr 30, 2013
gonzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe one of the reasons that the city has decided to form their own tourism board is that they have no representation or input at the Somerset-Pulaski County Tourism Commission. There needs to be representatives on the present commission/board that are appointed by both the Fiscal court and the City of Somerset. That could go a long way to eliminating the proposed duplications of services. Just another one of those deals where there must be communication, cooperation and most important compromise between the city and county governments. Let us hope we see this happen.
The current tourist commission was formed years ago and only fiscal court has the ability to appoint anyone to the board. It has never been an issue until now. Don't believe the statements from city hall. This is all political. They do not want a seat at the table, they want the table. Just use the actions of the city in situations where they had equal representation on the board. Industrial foundation, Ems, Drug task force, etc. They do not compromise and they do not play well with others this is a fact. They pulled out of the chamber. Who does this?
Bob

Tucker, GA

#9 May 1, 2013
What tourist. You have a few hundred dumbasses from southern Ohio. That's it. The who do come already gas up in mt Vernon because the gas is cheaper there. We have a lake that's it. Down south there's a lake Cumberland. Every 50 miles
tourismschmurism

United States

#10 May 1, 2013
One of Kim Jong's cronies needs a job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min ChromiuMan 156,535
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr Junket 34,066
any vegans in somerset? (Apr '10) 4 hr Gomer-ez 44
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 10 hr Princess Hey 15,461
Best place for Gymnastics in Somerset? (Nov '08) 11 hr Mee 41
R.I.P. Christen Tucker 12 hr saddened 15
joesph hibbert is looking for a few good men 12 hr ur mean 8

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages