Old Schools of Pulaski Co.

Posted in the Somerset Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Sep 08

United States

#1 Sep 15, 2008
Im doing some research on the old 1 & 2 room school in the county. If anyone can help with pictures, details, locations, names, etc.. I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks
trixie

London, KY

#2 Sep 15, 2008
I went to Shafter - (a one room schoolhouse). I believe it is lived in now as a private residence. It's on Slate Branch Road.
LexingtonLady

Alliance, OH

#3 Sep 15, 2008
I just lived in Somerset in the 90s, as an adult so I can be on no help. I do think it is a great idea and wish you the best of luck.

Lexy

Since: Aug 08

United States

#4 Sep 16, 2008
My husband went to Garner school. It is on Old 80. If you cross 80 at the end of the 914 by pass it sits on your right at the top of the hill. I'll see if he can go to his mom's and find any pictures.

His aunt taught in a couple of the old schools and her daughter may have some pictures too.
Ghost Hunter

Sikeston, MO

#5 Sep 16, 2008
The old Woodstock elementry still stands, its a barn now. Its very clost to the present school on hwy 39. I think it was a 2 room school.
ooohmygosh

London, KY

#6 Sep 24, 2008
rushbranch is just off 914 bypass at bottom of hill up top of the bank owned by bobby loveless on rushbranch road
ooohmygosh

London, KY

#7 Sep 24, 2008
strawberry scool house just 3 miles past rushbranch scool on strawberry road at 44 strawberry ln.i lived at 155 strawberry ln. i wished to god icould go back home i have so many memories their
ooohmygosh

London, KY

#8 Sep 24, 2008
i remender at the rushbranch scool all the kids would swing on a grapevine over the bank i woudn't do it again for no amount of money the teachers were mr wright and mr bolton
ooohmygosh

London, KY

#9 Sep 24, 2008
i remember at the rushbranch mr hughes had a big black bull in his paster and to save a lot of walking i would run threw it but the bull was at the seat of my britches when i got to the other side but i made it to polecat hollow rd.every body wasn;t as brave as i was but it was time to ride my pony
book

Lexington, KY

#10 Sep 24, 2008
About 10 years ago the local historical group put out a book with most of the schools in it. Had location, pic, ect. You could probable find it at the library.

London, KY

#11 Sep 29, 2008
book wrote:
About 10 years ago the local historical group put out a book with most of the schools in it. Had location, pic, ect. You could probable find it at the library.
Hey thanks for replying to my topix. I have a book like you're talking about, it just has pictures in it, no locations or years. It was made by May Barlow I think. Let me know if there is another book. Im looking for specific locations to pinpoint schools on a huge map I made.
hesmyheart

London, KY

#12 Sep 29, 2008
Cumberland wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey thanks for replying to my topix. I have a book like you're talking about, it just has pictures in it, no locations or years. It was made by May Barlow I think. Let me know if there is another book. Im looking for specific locations to pinpoint schools on a huge map I made.
Old Sloan’s Valley school is on the southern end of Pulaski County. The building is still there. Make a right off 27 just before you go up Alpine hill at the end of that road you make a left the school is on the right at the end of what was once “old” 27. There are a lot of pictures of the school floating around Pulaski County.

London, KY

#13 Sep 29, 2008
thanks for all the info. Still looking for more if anyone can chime in. Thanks
Got A Few

AOL

#14 Sep 29, 2008
Most of these would be located out past the West Science Hill area, such as Mt Zion, Buncomb, Hogue, Wheeldon, Sardis etc.

Nsmes of old one room school houses

Sweet Water
Center post (That was in Hogue)
Wheeldon
Ansel
Fairview
Jacksonville
Buncomb
Norwood
Strawberry
Possum Trot (Ithink thats actually how it is spelled and not like the opossum)
Lizard Lope
Mt. Zion
Clifty
wondering

Somerset, KY

#15 Sep 29, 2008
Are you doing this research for yourself or are you making a book or what? My grandfather is the one that shut down all of the one room schools so I could try to ask him but didn't know how much detail you needed. Is there anything specific?

London, KY

#16 Sep 29, 2008
wondering wrote:
Are you doing this research for yourself or are you making a book or what? My grandfather is the one that shut down all of the one room schools so I could try to ask him but didn't know how much detail you needed. Is there anything specific?
Hi Wandering,
email me at [email protected] and we can talk. Thanks

London, KY

#17 Sep 29, 2008
Thanks everyone who has helped, still looking for specific locations and possible years (1st & last year of classes). Thanks
to inform

London, KY

#18 Sep 29, 2008
Hubble school one room in the welborn community
Plato

London, KY

#19 Sep 29, 2008
to inform wrote:
Hubble school one room in the welborn community
Leroy School oout on 461

Also Plato on Plato Road
Grundy Gundle

Hopkinsville, KY

#20 Sep 29, 2008
There was one my grandmother went to on Grundy Road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Things You Love Game!! (Aug '10) 1 hr jingle 4,649
News City moves forward with lawsuit against state a... 1 hr Time to Change 24
Is The Mayor A Crook 3 hr Malcom 1
seeking guitar lessons 4 hr jayhawkjames 3
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 4 hr positronium 27,938
Mellow Mushrom 4 hr Fred 11
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 6 hr Trunketeer 11,577
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages