Somerset High School
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
concerned city guy

Knoxville, IA

#1 Jul 29, 2011
My family and I recently relocated to Somerset. We live in town, so I had planned for my children to attend Somerset High School. However, in talking with a neighbor, I found out that the school has had some serious issues over the past couple of years. Is it true that the principal, assistant principal, and superintendant all quit? Also, are their test scores really as bad as I hear? What is going on?? I really am thinking about looking into a different school.
Citizen of somerset

United States

#2 Jul 29, 2011
Yes!! All of that is true. The only thing they care about is upholding the traditions. They see people as expendable. They get rid of good people, and keep teachers that are having sex with students and don't care about the poor students. Mrs. white the previous interim superintendent was nothing more than a figure head hired to do exactly what the board wanted done. The board controls the schools. There are some fine teachers ay the high school, but it's just a matter of time until they leave. It's a negative, lazy environment.
lisa

Vilonia, AR

#3 Jul 29, 2011
Somerset....small town nepotism at its worst, and yes, the school has sucked for decades
everywhere

Grayson, KY

#5 Jul 29, 2011
lisa wrote:
Somerset....small town nepotism at its worst, and yes, the school has sucked for decades
Yes the neoptism goes on everywhere in Somerset; as well as the county school system too, actually is much worse there. But that said, that has nothing to do with the original question. Somerset High School has some wonderful teachers, hopefully, the issues they have had the past couple of years will be resolved this year with some new administrators in place.
lisa

Vilonia, AR

#7 Jul 29, 2011
Somerset may not be good....but they sure aren't alone. Public Ed, in general has been deteriorating for a long time. As far as the school...it starts at the top with the Super., and School board. As far as the student....it starts at home and parents have mirrored the schools in raising their children (POORLY) but we cant legislate parents so we'll come down on teachers.....
Hmmm

Green Forest, AR

#8 Jul 31, 2011
Somerset isn't great. And it has gotten worse over the past few years. Most of the kids are parents before they graduate. Seems To be a spreading trend but it's sad to say that's its possibly the better high school in the area.
Hmmmm

London, KY

#9 Jul 31, 2011
I went to Somerset, My Child went to Somerset i even payed Tuition So My Child could go there! Because we live in the County!.. Somerset High School is no worse nor any Better than any other School! It has the same things going on that every other School in this Country have! It is up to the parents to raise Their children Not the School! Yes there is nepotism going on But it is going on in Every School! I do know for a fact that a Child that graduated from Somerset has a better chance of going to college! And no I am not making this up its true! If You have just moved here and live in the city then Your child will go to School at Somerset unless You either pay Tuition or send them to one of the Religious Academies But if They go to one of them watch it because My nephews and nieces had to take the GED after graduating from one of them because They were not an accredited School and was accepted by a college! I sent My daughter to SHS not because of the School per say But She had always went there We moved and I didnt want her to have to change! And I am So Happy I didnt make her change Schools :)
Matt

Vilonia, AR

#10 Jul 31, 2011
Somerset is better academically than the county schools simply because of the number of days attended (largely due to weather)......I dont know if all schools have the same problems (they I doubt that very much)...I agree that they all have problems.
knifewaltz

Brownsville, TN

#11 Jul 31, 2011
Currently have a child in SHS and Somerset Christian School(SCS)which by the way is accredited and all the teachers have Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorates in education. Alumni from SHS have been accepted to top schools such as the Air Force Academy, Transylvania, Furman, etc. SCS has had students accepted to the Center for Gifted Studies at Western KY University, Rogers Scholars, and qualified for scholarships at many great
colleges, chistian and secular, while completing mandatory 30 hrs of community service for graduation. If your kid is driven academically, a poor school system where the kids practice a high tech social darwinism won't mean much if parents are involved and let the school know they will make some noise if problems arise. but that was just my experience, and I'm noisy to begin with. Good Luck!
oasis

Knoxville, IA

#13 Aug 2, 2011
everywhere wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the neoptism goes on everywhere in Somerset; as well as the county school system too, actually is much worse there. But that said, that has nothing to do with the original question. Somerset High School has some wonderful teachers, hopefully, the issues they have had the past couple of years will be resolved this year with some new administrators in place.
LOL Good luck with that!
LOOKING

Somerset, KY

#14 Aug 2, 2011
Try Rockcastle. Good test scores and AWESOME girls basketball team!
MommyOf2

Middlesboro, KY

#15 Aug 2, 2011
As someone who went to all 3 of the high schools in this town, Southwestern, Somerset and Pulaski, I would suggest Southwestern. From my experiences it had the best and most caring teachers.
everywhere

Grayson, KY

#16 Aug 3, 2011
Hmmmm wrote:
I went to Somerset, My Child went to Somerset i even payed Tuition So My Child could go there! Because we live in the County!.. Somerset High School is no worse nor any Better than any other School! I do know for a fact that a Child that graduated from Somerset has a better chance of going to college! And no I am not making this up its true! If You have just moved here and live in the city then Your child will go to School at Somerset unless You either pay Tuition or send them to one of the Religious Academies I didnt want her to have to change! And I am So Happy I didnt make her change Schools :)
Unless this has changed in the last couple of years that is not so, if you live in the city, your child can go to which ever school you choose without paying tuition. City residents pay county and city school taxes.
Hmmmm

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Aug 3, 2011
everywhere wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless this has changed in the last couple of years that is not so, if you live in the city, your child can go to which ever school you choose without paying tuition. City residents pay county and city school taxes.
It may very well have changed All I know is When my Daughter went I Had to Pay Tuition for her to attend Somerset! The good part of it being since She was attending when They made the Tuition Higher She was Grandfathered in and I got to pay the smaller amount instead of the higher amount. Because if i would have had to pay the higher amount I could not have paid it. There may not be one now But I would check it out to be sure!
Somerset Student

Ashburn, VA

#19 Aug 3, 2011
Your all idiots. I attend Somerset High and the crap you hear about our school falling apart is ridiculous. We can't defend ourselves from this kind of talk because you biased jerks at Pulaski and Southwestern outnumber us 5 to 1.
We have never had to have drug dogs fill our hallways Southwestern.
We don't have the highest teen pregnancy rate in KY Pulaski.
We excel in sports and in academics. All you have left is rumors. What a shame.
another student

Maysville, KY

#20 Aug 3, 2011
Somerset Student wrote:
Your all idiots. I attend Somerset High and the crap you hear about our school falling apart is ridiculous. We can't defend ourselves from this kind of talk because you biased jerks at Pulaski and Southwestern outnumber us 5 to 1.
We have never had to have drug dogs fill our hallways Southwestern.
We don't have the highest teen pregnancy rate in KY Pulaski.
We excel in sports and in academics. All you have left is rumors. What a shame.
yes and shs is known that last year, drugs and weapons were brought into the school by athletes, so tell us another bs line. And don't forget teacher /student sex. yep it is a perfect school.
SHS student

Murray, KY

#21 Aug 3, 2011
GOOD GOD. 5 idiots brought in some weed and were arrested for it. They are not 'athletes', they're losers with no future. So now your going to judge the entire school for it? You can't do that. We are a great school and you just have to experience it first. We have a sense of love and pride that cant be taken away. We respect our school and our classmates.
I love Somerset
sophie

Grayson, KY

#22 Aug 4, 2011
Hmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
It may very well have changed All I know is When my Daughter went I Had to Pay Tuition for her to attend Somerset! The good part of it being since She was attending when They made the Tuition Higher She was Grandfathered in and I got to pay the smaller amount instead of the higher amount. Because if i would have had to pay the higher amount I could not have paid it. There may not be one now But I would check it out to be sure!
You live in the county so you paid tuition to attend the city school......the post was saying if you live in the city you can attend either school system without paying tuition.....

“Just a man with a dream”

Since: Aug 11

Ashburn, VA

#23 Aug 4, 2011
Jumper pride on 3!
interesting

Somerset, KY

#24 Aug 5, 2011
Matt wrote:
Somerset is better academically than the county schools simply because of the number of days attended (largely due to weather)......I dont know if all schools have the same problems (they I doubt that very much)...I agree that they all have problems.
I find it interesting that you say Somerset is better academically. Have you seen the test scores? Somerset High School failed to meet its goals in both math and reading! That's not all that surprising if you look at the math teachers - couldn't cut it in other districts. Their graduation rate is VERY low compared to the other high schools. Is 85% good enough for you? I'm sure there are good people in that school system, but it's NOT better. In fact, I wouldn't send my child there if they paid ME.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 7 min ChromiuMan 149,552
~~*last post wins*~~ (Mar '11) 10 min Dickens1 15,256
Raw milk 34 min Gail 1
Stay out of fountain. 50 min Hey 3
ttai 54 min bub 27
biggest cheaters in burnside (Feb '11) 1 hr Jim 9
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr Trouser Cough 32,226

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages