Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

supergirl wrote:
yeah , is it too late go college after you hit past 40 and little education
why would you say that, that is ignorance. Lots of people go back to school after they have their kids raised.
No Way

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

It's never too late to further you education. My Grandfather was in his 60's and Mayor of Ferguson and he took courses at the community college. I'm not sure if he finishes and received his degree but I remember how exited he was about it.
quidnunc

Sheridan, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

supergirl wrote:
yeah , is it too late go college after you hit past 40 and little education
If one has "little education," what does that mean? If you mean that "funnelled into the head" public school system, if a person has little of that, then, it might prove too large an undertaking to try to attend college.

If you are referring to the learning process of constantly studying to try to improve oneself and one's understanding of what is taking place in the affairs of mankind, then college could help in this.

Many people have their careers boosted with an associate degree, and some become professional people after 40. Senator Robert Byrd from West Va became a lawyer at about age 50.

College is not for everyone, in my opinion, but improving understanding and learning new skills should be a lifelong pursuit, when we assume we have reached the "pinnacle" there is no way to go, after awhile, except downward. We commence to atrophy.

If one wishes to be consumed by dementia, stick the head in the sand and cook in and drink from aluminum containers. This will about guarantee a fast track.
Just my opinion

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

I went to college after I raised my children and yes , I was older than 40. I was not quite ready for the nursing home yet !
hellfercertain

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

NEVER too late to go to college.

Rule of thumb: 4 years invested in school = a lot bigger paycheck. Guess what? In 4 years you are going to be 4 years older anyhow...the choice is do you want to be working for $15-20,000 a year or $30,000 + a year?

“Im not bad just drawn that way”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

I for one certainly hope not! As soon as mine are out and on there own two feet Iím going to school as fast as I can. My youngest is a freshman in college and Iím 41. Give me 3-4 years (Lord willing) and Iíll be in class.

Thereís a certain point in life where age is a frame of mind.

“Im not bad just drawn that way”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Oops, It should be as soon as my kids are on their own two feet.
super girl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

yeah, i was asking that as question for me. i forgot put question mark on my first comment so i see how few got offended , i hope its not.
super girl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

dontbestupid wrote:
<quoted text>
why would you say that, that is ignorance. Lots of people go back to school after they have their kids raised.
i wasnt saying, yeah its too late i some time talk and start with a yeah and i wrote it in , like i talk as in person.....
supergirl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

yeah let me get it straight one more time. i was asking opion if its too late go college after rasing family and little education. i wasnt trying be smart, im sorry, i wrote it wrong
super girl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

J_Rabbit wrote:
Oops, It should be as soon as my kids are on their own two feet.
thanxs, i was thinking strong on going but i never was good at my grades. but i always like go back finsh where i left off. thanks again for the support...
super girl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

what do u do. go get ur ged. then apply or what?
supergirl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Nope wrote:
No, it's never too late.
thanks
supergirl

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

No Way wrote:
It's never too late to further you education. My Grandfather was in his 60's and Mayor of Ferguson and he took courses at the community college. I'm not sure if he finishes and received his degree but I remember how exited he was about it.
thanks 4 the comment...
Content

Covington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

In many ways, you are better off going to school at a later age. Most teenagers tremendously waste their time in high school and college. They have other priorities : figuring out who they are, finding a partner, getting drunk or high, pursuing sex, worrying about a thousand things that have nothing to do with their education. Older students are beyond all that. Their focus is SO much better, they LISTEN to what the professor says, they take the classes seriously. And don't worry about being too old to get a good job. In the next 10 years half of the entire work force will retire and we will face a serious, serious shortage of replacements. If you have the credentials, they will not only hire you, but pay you signing bonuses and treat you a lot better than workers have been treated because they will desperately need you. And the idea that people retire at 58 or 63 is obsolete. You will probably work until 80. This means you have time for an entire 40 year career still ahead of you.
But don't wait. Start NOW. Take a course by correspondence or online, from UK or Phoenix or one of a hundred colleges. Start gearing up. You may need to shake off a little rust in your reading or writing or math, so taking a course now allows you to gradually get back in the groove.
Do it. Start. Now.
Italian Bird

Brownsville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

My mom started nursing college when she was in her late 30's early 40's and she has made a good life for herself.
sassysopinion

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

It's never too late!
mama

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2009

Judged:

I graduated from college 30 yrs.(to the day) after graduating high school. After three and a half yrs of college I tripled my income and after 10 years my income has quadrupled. It's worth it! The older people usually take classes more seriously and on average do very well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Somerset Forum right now

Search the Somerset Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Check this link out 29 min What 1
your invited to our church!!! 38 min What 5
Coach Dale Anderson (Oct '11) 43 min What 808
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 52 min Trouser Cough 20,474
Help with job! 1 hr Bengalboy 1
Uh Oh- bad news for the global warming crowd. 2 hr JumperJuice 7
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr spaceship 130,171
•••
•••