briar patch

Middlesboro, KY

#24 Mar 28, 2013
CON (certificate of need) which is needed to operate a EMS , which the county doesn't have. Its very possible to cut the staff in half and just cover the city. Also the equipment was bought thru the city , so the city owns it, county has nothing, you do not think it would take longer than a few days to get EMS up and running? It took 25 years to get it where it is now, only to be destroyed by a tyrant and dumb councilman and magistrates and a clueless county judge, Girdler will follow thru on his threat, he has nothing to lose and do to the lack of laziness these local leaders will sit back and let this happen all over a buck or two.
pulaski gal

Sheridan, AR

#25 Mar 28, 2013
Does this include the rescue squads certificate for an ambulance?

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Somerset, KY

#26 Mar 28, 2013
You are going to go from a full time ALS service to BLS coverage only with a volunteer rescue squad and you are ok with this?

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Somerset, KY

#27 Mar 28, 2013
Besides the fact they only have a CON for 2 ambulances where SPCEMS runs 6 ALS trucks and 1 BLS a day. That's 6 trucks from 7am till 11pm, with their BLS truck coming in from 9am to 5pm, then going to 3 trucks from 11pm until 7am. Lets say 50% of them are in the county for the sake of argument, you're wanting 2 trucks to do that? To contrast McCreary County runs 3 trucks a day for roughly 3000 runs.
pulaski gal

Sheridan, AR

#28 Mar 28, 2013
Thank you for the information. I did not know what level the rescue squad or ems had. People just call 911 and expect ems to show up.

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Somerset, KY

#29 Mar 28, 2013
Which is exactly why I am concerned. I don't think the people of the county understand the gravity of the situation. It may be an idle threat from the mayor, but it is not a chance I think any of us should be willing to take. The fact of the matter remains the county does not have the resources needed to open, staff, equip, and operate the level of service that is currently being provided by Somerset-Pulaski County EMS. Mayor Girdler knows this, which is why he and Judge Executive Bullock pin pointed this issue as the means to acquire the money to fund whatever little project they have cooked up.
Westwood

London, KY

#30 Mar 29, 2013
TitanPrometheus wrote:
----he and Judge Executive Bullock pin pointed this issue as the means to acquire the money to fund whatever little project they have cooked up.
I'm protected, I'm wearing a tin foil hat.

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Somerset, KY

#31 Mar 29, 2013
No need in being a dick. Several people really don't know the truth. Since you are so enlightened there Westwood why don't you share? Tell me why I am wrong? You've done nothing since joining in the conversation except shout I'm wrong and it won't happen. Give your view? Break down what's really going on with the issue for me, how is it truly going to play out?
briar patch

Middlesboro, KY

#32 Mar 29, 2013
Girdler is saying in the paper all the time how much money the city has and how great everything is, he is willing to borrow 8.5 million for a energy hub, which is nothing more than a different name for new city hall, but not willing to keep our EMS going till this is figured out in a fair way, First it was the drug task force , now its EMS , whats next folks? He is looking for money , why is that when the city is so wealthy and he has mentioned it a zillion times in the local rag?
gonzo

London, KY

#33 Mar 29, 2013
briar patch wrote:
Girdler is saying in the paper all the time how much money the city has and how great everything is, he is willing to borrow 8.5 million for a energy hub, which is nothing more than a different name for new city hall, but not willing to keep our EMS going till this is figured out in a fair way, First it was the drug task force , now its EMS , whats next folks? He is looking for money , why is that when the city is so wealthy and he has mentioned it a zillion times in the local rag?
Don't know,you tell us why....It would be sesible if each governing body would get to a table and discuss and come up with a solution to the ems problem...but they want even do that..so briar why not?
Understood

United States

#34 Mar 29, 2013
I completely understand why people don't speak up. We live in a town where the good ole boy network prospers amongst its own.

We can only look at some of our more recent issues and see that people are "quieted" when they speak up and speak the truth.
Tired of the BS

London, KY

#35 Mar 29, 2013
The Fire Dept has been understaffed for years and the problem has recently gotten worse. The City has been unwilling to fill open postions there for several years and another postion opens everytime someone retires. The amount of on duty personell has already been reduced from what it was a couple of years ago and now when someone calls in sick or takes a vaction we are forced to take a truck out of service. So if you or your loved ones need the services of ems or fire and no one comes or only one or two people do and your house burns down or some one dies, contact city hall to ask why.
just me

Somerset, KY

#36 Mar 29, 2013
Mayor girdler is great!!!! and does a very fine job with running the city, I look forward to city of somerset going "METRO" and take over county.
gonzo

London, KY

#37 Mar 29, 2013
Understood wrote:
I completely understand why people don't speak up. We live in a town where the good ole boy network prospers amongst its own.
We can only look at some of our more recent issues and see that people are "quieted" when they speak up and speak the truth.
Really the voters and taxpayers should not have to prod these useless politicians into doing something about the EMS situation...
all are tremendously overpaid for what they accomplish or attempt to, and as far as I am concerned both the Somerset Council and members of the Pulaski County fiscal court both have a political and moral obligation to address the problem like big boys and not like a bunch of kids playing gotcha....time has come for some truth and action.
Westwood

London, KY

#38 Mar 29, 2013
TitanPrometheus wrote:
No need in being a dick. Several people really don't know the truth. Since you are so enlightened there Westwood why don't you share? Tell me why I am wrong? You've done nothing since joining in the conversation except shout I'm wrong and it won't happen. Give your view? Break down what's really going on with the issue for me, how is it truly going to play out?
I'll say it one more time:
There is no way in h e double hockeysticks that the county will lose ambulance and/or EMS service. I also said there was no way the library would close. Talk and give your views all you want, it won't happen.
MMXXIII

Hazard, KY

#39 Mar 29, 2013
Mayor Girdler will continue to do what is in the best interest of the City and it's citizens.
ToCanSam

East Bernstadt, KY

#40 Mar 30, 2013
TRUE

Level 1

Since: Mar 13

Somerset, KY

#41 Mar 30, 2013
That's just it He wants a metro system a system that personally I agree with and voted for when it was brought up, but causing the bankruptcy of the county government is not the way it should happen. Westwood just because you say there is no way it will happen doesn't make it true, I asked you to give me reason. Tell me why it won't happen. As far as he will do what is right for the people of Somerset, you are correct, but that's only if they fall in line with his agendas. Not having a police chief, reducing the fire department coverage, which he did on Thursday because he refuses to hire employees full time which he wouldn't have to have done should he have left fire and ems merged, totally different argument I understand however, still can't argue that it's not true when they were all in fact trained to do each others jobs... How exactly is that what's best for the city? How is what's best for the city a new city hall and not doing your damnedest to bring in new employment, culture, a place other that school out kids can go and expand their minds?
ToCanSam

East Bernstadt, KY

#42 Mar 30, 2013
The reason they want a new City Hall is, nothing is never good enough for the group that is up there now.
Westwood

London, KY

#43 Mar 30, 2013
TitanPrometheus wrote:
----- Westwood just because you say there is no way it will happen doesn't make it true, I asked you to give me reason. Tell me why it won't happen.---
Once a taxpayer based service to the needy is funded, it never goes away. Someone WILL find a way to fund it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Steak and shake workers 1 hr angel 5
Somerset mayor, Keck or Girdler? 1 hr contact him 136
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 3 hr Tipsy the Bartender 10,346
Kinsley Huff 4 hr Dude 1
slmc 7 hr oldleather 12
kingsford hiring 9 hr Mitch 2
Todd Wood - Why the Hate? (Jan '14) 9 hr bob 117
County Judge-Exec 20 hr Bobby bouche 165
Somerset Dating
Find my Match

Somerset Jobs

Somerset People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Somerset News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Somerset

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]