Somerset Gas Protest
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Think about it

Lake Geneva, WI

#1 Nov 26, 2012
Any ideas? Sometimes shedding a little outside light on something likes this helps. I remember one time Somerset had the highest gas in the country.
Kentucky has a stigma nationally of being backwards. Maybe because other towns don't take crap like this. They hit the streets and make some noise until they get some satisfaction.
But not Somerset folks. No, we sit and take it and then naysay anybody that trys to make a difference.
"Why, I wouldn't go down there and hold a sign, somebody might see me". Worrying about what people might think and being overly self consceious is the definition of backwards. And being backwards is why we're getting taken advantage of on gas prices.

Cool Hand Clem

“One day at a time”

Level 6

Since: Oct 12

----<>-----<>----<>-----<>---

#2 Nov 26, 2012
You can march till the cows come home but its not gonna affect gas prices.

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#3 Nov 26, 2012
Only when the retailers get tired of watchin' everybody suffer - Hope their kids take after their mommas -
interesting

Harrison, AR

#4 Nov 26, 2012
Through an executive order, Governor Steve Beshear has activated the state's anti-price gouging consumer protection law.

You can call in price gouging complaints in Kentucky to the Attorney-General's office at (888)432-9257 or email complaints to [email protected]
Think

United States

#5 Nov 26, 2012
interesting wrote:
Through an executive order, Governor Steve Beshear has activated the state's anti-price gouging consumer protection law.
You can call in price gouging complaints in Kentucky to the Attorney-General's office at (888)432-9257 or email complaints to [email protected]
Thanks for the info. I'm going to follow through on this.
I'm guessing that we are in more of a situation of unfair pricing than price gouging, but it may be a start.

On 15 gallons of gas you will pay $9.30 more in Somerset than you will in Knoxville. If you filled up 4 times in a month you'd be paying an extra $37.20 in Somerset
rise against

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Nov 26, 2012
Take short drive up hwy27 to the great city of danville. 30 cents a gallon difference
Think

United States

#8 Nov 26, 2012
Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info. I'm going to follow through on this.
I'm guessing that we are in more of a situation of unfair pricing than price gouging, but it may be a start.
On 15 gallons of gas you will pay $9.30 more in Somerset than you will in Knoxville. If you filled up 4 times in a month you'd be paying an extra $37.20 in Somerset
In a year you pay $446.40 extra in Somerset. That is if you have a high MPG car like me. If you drive a pick-up then you're probably paying even more.

Those are todays prices. Sometimes throughout the year we may be paying a higher ratio compared to surrounding cities.

Somerset is some what isolated in that it doesn't really pay to drive out of town for gas. We are just unfortunate enough to have been taken advantage of because of our geography.
interesting

Harrison, AR

#9 Nov 26, 2012
Well whatever it is..it needs to be sent to the Attorney General. Technically I guess the price gouging is raising prices after a disaster but we were 3.23 here one day and 3.59 the day before the Thanksgiving rush. He cant ignore hundreds of e-mails. Or then again maybe he could. Try anyway.
Think

United States

#10 Nov 26, 2012
interesting wrote:
E-mail sent. Will call tomorrow.
Old

Esperance, NY

#12 Nov 28, 2012
Think wrote:
<quoted text>
. We are just unfortunate enough to have been taken advantage of because of our geography.
It's people taking advantage of us, not geography
taylor

Whitley City, KY

#13 Nov 28, 2012
Somerset is being gouged. Gas in Winfield, TN just across the state line is 3.13 gal. That's about 35 miles from Somerset. Corbin is also ALWAYS cheaper than Somerset.
wildone

Nicholasville, KY

#14 Nov 29, 2012
https://customer.kroger.com/comments/comments...

Keep sending comments to kroger about gas prices compared to surrounding towns.

http://www.kentuckygasprices.com/

Cool Hand Clem

“One day at a time”

Level 6

#15 Nov 29, 2012
Stop patronizing the gougers and they will cease to gouge.
mr wrong

Pineville, KY

#16 Nov 29, 2012
We are getting gouged by distributors locally for sure, but i would also like to know why natural gas is so high here? On tv its 2 or 3 bucks a unit, when i get my bill its 7 or 8 bucks a unit, that seems like gouging too by the city of Somerset, councilmen should be able to find out that answer very easy.
ball boy

Lexington, KY

#18 Dec 1, 2012
Cool Hand Clem wrote:
Stop patronizing the gougers and they will cease to gouge.
however, we all need gasoline it would not last too long to make a difference. best thing is to get the AG to investigate...unless he too is in the gasoline suppliers pockets.

most of Ky has had no sudden gas price jumps, there is a site that shows gas prices state wide, it has a color coded map showing who is getting Royally Screwed.

http://www.kentuckygasprices.com/Price_By_Cou...
Starbright

London, KY

#25 Dec 2, 2012
ball boy wrote:
<quoted text>
however, we all need gasoline it would not last too long to make a difference. best thing is to get the AG to investigate...unless he too is in the gasoline suppliers pockets.
most of Ky has had no sudden gas price jumps, there is a site that shows gas prices state wide, it has a color coded map showing who is getting Royally Screwed.
http://www.kentuckygasprices.com/Price_By_Cou...
The AG is in their pockets, look at the money that comes from Pulaski County to get these guys elected, they will turn a blind eye when it comes to standing up against anyone who fills their pockets to get re-elected, there should be a limit on what they could raise when they run for office. I don't see how the price in any state could vary over 5 cents per gallon, here we are 50 cents higher than some of the other cities, when election time rolls around, Pulaski County should keep this in mind, if this AG don't care about us, then why should we vote for him. JMO

Cool Hand Clem

“One day at a time”

Level 6

#26 Dec 2, 2012
You get a large enough group together and make enough noise the AG will have to COME OUT of their pocket or risk not being reelected.

Cool Hand Clem

“One day at a time”

Level 6

#27 Dec 2, 2012
You have to think like a politician if you want anything from them.Most would sell their mother for a vote.Just keeping it real folks.
Snowman

Mount Vernon, KY

#28 Dec 2, 2012
Everyone concerned about gas prices be at city hall in somerset at 7:00 monday night on the 10th of Dec. There are a couple council members trying to do something about high prices.
ball boy

Lexington, KY

#29 Dec 2, 2012
its funny that people can mobilize and make Somerset wet or dry, but comes to something that affects us all, where are they??

the 10th rally is a start providing it gets flooded with folk. but since this is also a county wide problem their meetings should also get notice too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug test 5 hr District attorney 2
Missy Poo 6 hr Famdamily 10
Grace Marie martin 6 hr John whang 7
I am a bisexual man looking for another man 6 hr John whang 12
What do you think about John whan ? 6 hr John whang 42
Live Fish 6 hr John whang 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 8 hr Just an observer 169,982

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages