Lincoln County Cancels Prayer.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#76 May 8, 2013
manfromthewest wrote:
<quoted text>america was founded on christian beliefs and settlers..
america was founded on capitalization and a new route to india. that is why the caribean was called the west indies. the puritans didn't pray in public, didn't celebrate christmas, or easter, and didn't shove their beliefs down everyone else's throat.
manfromthewest wrote:
<quoted text>those who followed got to respect this fact...
respect is a two way street. it works both ways. silence is golden.
manfromthewest wrote:
<quoted text>when they took prayer out of school and bibles off teachers desks... that is when we began to have our decline in respect and behavior..
school is for the three 'r's and not promoting christian idolatry.
manfromthewest wrote:
<quoted text>the ACLU is the problem and causeing the decay of our civilization like a apple rots from inside out
life is change. christianity has become a haunt for every unclean and hateful bird.
Paul Revere

Mount Vernon, KY

#77 May 8, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
You said and I quote "america was founded on christian beliefs." If America was founded on great Christians then does that mean God wanted us to kill all the Indians and use slaves as labor?
Google 'Manifest Dynasty' and according to that we thought it was our rights as Christians to take over from "sea to shiny sea" and all those in the way we either killed or enslaved. Do you think God was backing that?
Actually, I didn't say that at all. Some other poster said that. But, the leap from settlement of this country by peoples trying to get away from the Church of England to God wanting them to kill Indians and use slaves is a pretty thin claim.
By the way, slavery in Africa didn't begin with white men.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#78 May 8, 2013
Grady wrote:
<quoted text>
First off giving thanks is a form of prayer. Thanking God for what he has provided. Second you don't know how I pray. My prayer whether it be in public or private is a conversation with God. I don't force anything on anyone. I pray for those in need and for my own forgiveness. I go to church not because I have it all figured out but because I an a sinner in need of a savior. I am not better than any man, the Bible says we are all dirty rags...I am one of them. Jesus may not have done as many public prayers as people think but He did do them....you say I should be more Christ like and quit forcing my opinions on everyone, yet what do you think Christ did? He went around teaching about who He was and who God is. Giving the people the hope and salvation that comes from only God. Yes sometimes people get a little misguided and tell others that they are going to hell in a scare tactic way but that isn't the way all people do it. I certainly don't want to see anyone burn. I can't change anyones mind or heart, God has to. God has asked us to share of our experience and tell of his love. That's what I try to do....what He has commanded and He will do the rest
Acts 7:48
“However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:

Acts 17:24
“God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.

jesus isn't god. idolatry is forbidden. it is the abomination; which causes desolation. it is the christian idolatry of the beast that leads to self-destructive behavior.

mark of the beast

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/l...

idolatrous image

there is no rest(peace) for those who worship the image of the beast. their torment rises for ever and ever.

Deuteronomy 4:15
Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the Lord spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire:

Deuteronomy 4:16
Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female,

stop prostituting your personal relationships in public. sell it somewhere else.

Revelation 17:5
And upon her forehead was a name written, Mystery, Babylon The Great, The Mother Of Harlots And Abominations Of The Earth.

babylon = babel = "the gate"

you thought you would yourself a tower unto heaven and ascend up to the heaven like god.

Genesis 11:4
And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

jezebel is cast down
Paul Revere

Mount Vernon, KY

#79 May 8, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Jesus gave an example on how to pray but it wasn't a prayer he gave in public. If the Lord's prayer is an example on how to pray then him thanking God for some fish isn't a prayer. The Sermon on the Mount wasn't started off with a long prayer or any prayer at all. It was just about the preaching.
These preachers want to get up in front of everyone and ramble on for what seems forever just to make themselves look like they have a direct line to God. You will never read about Jesus forcing anyone to hear his prayers. You will never hear about Jesus giving a prayer in front of crowds, it was something private for him.
If these kids said "thank you God for helping me through this" then you wouldn't hear anyone complaining and that isn't a prayer. It's nothing more than Thank God I graduated. If you feel the need to bring someone up with a religious agenda to pray for everyone then that is promoting their religion. If a kid wants to take a second and let everyone know that religion helped them get where they are then that's fine, they can say Kesha was their motivating force and that's fine. If that's what they think helped them then no one can take that away.
The way I see it is if you don't want to sit around and hear a Muslim or whoever pray then that means your prayers shouldn't be heard either. Save it for church.
How can the Sermon on the Mount NOT be considered a sermon??? You said Jesus didn't get up in front of people and "ranble on for what seems forever" when he obviously did speak at length many times!
And you are telling me that the Son of God never publicly thanked his Father for blessings and his love. You are simply far, far off base on this one.
You obviously have some agenda that would push christians to keep their faith and love for God at home or in church only. That isn't going to happen and you have no basis for trying to force that on anyone.
Paul Revere

Manchester, KY

#84 May 9, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
What I said was Jesus never got up in front of everyone and rambled out a long prayer. Jesus never gave a public prayer like you hear these preachers doing every chance they get. Jesus said to go in your room, shut the door and then pray. Show me one place where Jesus said go out in public and make everyone hear you pray.
You bible humpers want to do whatever you want. You want to force your beliefs on everyone who doesn't want to hear it. I was raised a strict Christian and if a preacher got up to give a prayer that wasn't of the same religion as me then I had to get up and leave the room. I wasn't even allowed to say the pledge at school because we only pledge our allegiance to God, not a flag. That's why it's important to keep religion out of schools so it's fair to every child that goes there.
And yes, it is going to happen, you Christians are going to have to keep it in church or at your home like you should. The Ten Commandments in the court house is a nice example of that. Just like you tried to keep alcohol out of Somerset and it quit working, so will your public ramblings you call prayer.
And now your true agenda comes out. I knew it wouldn't take long. Your lack of knowledge about prayer and what Jesus and God have said on the subject was pretty much the first clue. But, your attitude and tone toward people of faith was the big giveaway.
I will NEVER hide my belief and love for God away in some back room. I will pray to him giving thanks for his love and blessings anywhere and anytime I like. There is literally nothing you can do to keep that from happening.
I am not the only one either. Just this morning I passed by a local business located at probably one of the busiest intersections in Somerset. Prominantly displayed out front on stone or granite were the 10 Commandments. Is that your "keep it in church or at your home like you should"? LOL!
God told those who believe in him to spread his word thruout all the world and many are following a calling to do just that.

Oh, and I didn't try to keep alcohol out of Somerset. I actually promoted its legalization right here on this messageboard and in public. So, you can take that condemnation elsewhere.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#86 May 9, 2013
There's a new Nope in our midst lately? I've only been on a short sabbatical for gosh sakes, and someone steps up to the plate using Nope as their name?
I'm flattered.
I think?
Well, I'm not sure yet.....
I've got a lot of catching up to do before the final verdict here......

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#90 May 9, 2013
You should pick a name like Gomer,no one wants to be a Gomer.
Ben There

Somerset, KY

#92 May 9, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>america was founded on capitalization
LOL ...[A]pparently not.
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#93 May 9, 2013
Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
So God wanted us to kill off all the Indians and force black people to do slave labor?
Catholics are the leading Christian religion so lets teach all the children that contraceptives are bad. Using a condom will make God angry and we all know what God does when he gets upset.
What religion should be taught in schools since there are so many? Let me guess, yours?
that is ridiculous ... God dont make bad things happen. he just gives us strength to deal with things. God made faith.. men made religions.. as far as religion taught in schools. have a class on comparitive religions.. teach them all...students can choose to pick one or not have any at all.. problem solved
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#94 May 9, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>america was founded on capitalization and a new route to india. that is why the caribean was called the west indies. the puritans didn't pray in public, didn't celebrate christmas, or easter, and didn't shove their beliefs down everyone else's throat.
<quoted text>respect is a two way street. it works both ways. silence is golden.
<quoted text>school is for the three 'r's and not promoting christian idolatry.
<quoted text>life is change. christianity has become a haunt for every unclean and hateful bird.
puritans didnt force their religion on others????? those people had public punnishment for sins stocks, and even death .. the witch trials were a product of puritan extreemism. that being said....no one is saying christianity is perfect. as i said in another post. religion was made by men.. God created all things and gave us faith.. God is perfect but mankind is not.
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#95 May 9, 2013
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
There's a new Nope in our midst lately? I've only been on a short sabbatical for gosh sakes, and someone steps up to the plate using Nope as their name?
I'm flattered.
I think?
Well, I'm not sure yet.....
I've got a lot of catching up to do before the final verdict here......
we could tell that wasnt the original nope..

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#96 May 9, 2013
manfromthewest wrote:
<quoted text>
we could tell that wasnt the original nope..
Thanks MFTW.
:)
zzz

Bryan, OH

#98 May 10, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
It was in the paper this morning,that Lincoln county school canceled prayer for the graduating class.6 students objected.I thought majority ruled.
I suggest the rest of the students boycott the commencement.If they want to make an impact at an early age,this would be it.The school can not deny them their diploma.
I respect other peoples rights,they should respect mine.
Walking across that stage is a great moment,in a young persons life,but the impact of not going may make an impact on our country,and our freedoms.
I am not a prayer person,but people have the right to prayer if they wish.
Our freedoms are being eroded by a few,and this is just another freedom taken from us.
Why should the whole group suffer for a few poop disturbers?
If my kid was getting a diploma,he would not be there for the walk of fame.
I would love to hear from the young adults that will be graduating and how they feel about it and if they even care.
Paul Revere

Somerset, KY

#99 May 10, 2013
NOPE wrote:
Religion is dead, some of you just don't know it yet. People and generations are tired of hearing about your God getting ready to destroy the Earth and it never happens. Every generation screams it's the last days and Jesus is coming back but yet they all grow old and die. You can only scream wolf so many times before you look like the idiot that likes to scream wolf.
Just saying.
Yep. There's that agenda I was referring to.
So, religion is dead? What percentage of the world's population identify as either Christian, Muslim, Hindu, etc?
I hope at some point you can get beyond whatever the cause is for your anger toward God. Just because YOU refuse to believe in him doesn't mean he doesn't care for you.
Ole Eubanker

Flower Mound, TX

#101 May 10, 2013
NOPE wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah, religion is dead. Just because you believe it doesn't mean your kids will or their kids. To much information out there to disprove the bible. Religious leaders depend on the ignorant that will believe made up stories. Science is proving them wrong everyday. That's why they always scream faith because without faith a rational person would not believe it.
Add to that all of the church scandals, their history of violence and the massive amount of pedophiles,people are getting tired of it. It won't be to much longer and they will be making movies of Jesus fighting Zeus because Jesus will have joined the ranks of the other dead Gods before him.
So you think Zeus is dead. Beware his thunderbolts!! Old gods don't die, they merely fade away. I'm sure that somewhere, someone keeps the old gods alive

Level 5

Location hidden

#102 May 11, 2013
I don't think religion is dead,it is just evolving.
For centuries the churches condemned homosexuality,now they except it,because it drags in more money.Supposedly God destroyed Sodom,because of homosexuality,and today it is ok.

It is the one of the biggest business in the world today.
If you are a true believer,you have to believe,God was the king of mass murders.He got pissed and destroyed all life by flood,He got pissed and destroyed a whole city,men women and "children".
Newtown ain't got nothin on him.

Have you ever heard a preacher from one of those big churches on tv,being called to a church in Pulaski county,like for instance Bradley chapel,or even Nelson Valley.How come they are being called to a place to make more money.
You have to ask yourself.Would Jesus wear a Rolex on his television show?
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#104 May 11, 2013
NOPE wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read your bible.
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
—Isaiah 45:7
(Amos 3:6)- "Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?"
Yes, God makes bad things happen. He could stop evil at anytime but yet he doesn't. Instead he is the one causing the problems.
If a kid wants to take a college class on religion then more power to him. I did and my final essay was on Jesus never existing. My teacher who was a full blown Christian gave me an A even tho he didn't agree with me. I guess his faith couldn't disprove my facts.
Can I ask you why you are to lazy to teach your child about God and need an unqualified school teacher to do it for you? The churches pay no taxes so why not throw the burden on them to teach your child about God since you seem unable too? I don't understand why people get mad when a school teaches fact and not faith.
i do read my bible and if you read yours , you would know you can prove or disprove anything in religion by reading the parts you want to read.. that is why we have so many religions and ways that people relate to God. turn plows into swords on one side.. thou shall not kill in another place for example.. it is pointless to try to defend faith in God to someone who is determined to not have faith. our nation is in the shape it is because of supreme court attacks on the faith that founded our country. sorry you dont see it that way...opinions are like noses. we all have one
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#105 May 11, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
I don't think religion is dead,it is just evolving.
For centuries the churches condemned homosexuality,now they except it,because it drags in more money.Supposedly God destroyed Sodom,because of homosexuality,and today it is ok.
It is the one of the biggest business in the world today.
If you are a true believer,you have to believe,God was the king of mass murders.He got pissed and destroyed all life by flood,He got pissed and destroyed a whole city,men women and "children".
Newtown ain't got nothin on him.
Have you ever heard a preacher from one of those big churches on tv,being called to a church in Pulaski county,like for instance Bradley chapel,or even Nelson Valley.How come they are being called to a place to make more money.
You have to ask yourself.Would Jesus wear a Rolex on his television show?
sodom and gomorrah had nothing to do with homosexuality.

it was as stated in ezekiel: their apathy toward the poor and acts of injustice.

ezekiel 16:49
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.

http://jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/13827-...

there were women living in sodom:

Genesis 14:16
And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people.

lot's own daughters were married to some of those that were destroyed.

Genesis 19:12
And the men said unto Lot, Hast thou here any besides? son in law, and thy sons, and thy daughters, and whatsoever thou hast in the city, bring them out of this place:

notice that the statement from matthew concurs to what happened to sodom and gomorrah being brought down in the jewish encyclopedia.

Matthew 11:23
And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

Level 5

Location hidden

#106 May 11, 2013
I think you should read the whole text.
Ether way you look at it God was a mass murderer.He far exceeds what anyone else has done.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#109 May 11, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
I think you should read the whole text.
Ether way you look at it God was a mass murderer.He far exceeds what anyone else has done.
you don't believe in the 3rd law of thermodynamics, karma, chaos theory?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 14 min CCzar 166,474
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 1 hr Hatti_Hollerand 36,892
little caesars (Feb '14) 2 hr Little Caesar 8
*keep a word- drop a word* Game (Jul '11) 9 hr Princess Hey 13,673
Ken Whitman aka whit whitman 10 hr John whang 4
wanted-paying cash for 1/24 nascar & nhra dieca... (Jun '12) 10 hr John whang 10
Rick Eggers on Maple grove rd 10 hr John whang 22

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages