Lincoln County Cancels Prayer.
carson

Fishers, IN

#26 May 4, 2013
James Madison wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress makes our laws. However, they are rarely known for following them.
Good response. My issue with this whole thing is more about the fact that I absolutely hate censorship of anybody.

I don't like that they delete posts on topix that trash preachers.

Level 5

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#27 May 4, 2013
The majority should rule in this situation.

“smiling on a cloudy day”

Level 7

Since: Jan 09

Shakedown Street

#28 May 4, 2013
Awww, comedy was too much for someone.

Anytime someone is in the news, first thing the paper or television station does is find their Facebook/Myspace/Twitter. Why is it so wrong in this instance?

Not like they even had the profiles set to private!
James Madison

Somerset, KY

#29 May 4, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
The majority should rule in this situation.
Not if it's a violation of US law. In fact the reason we have a constitution in the first place is to protect the rights of all Americans, not just those in the majority.
carson

Charlestown, IN

#30 May 4, 2013
This as it is in alot of situations is the perception of a right.
Is there a constitutional right to not be offended?

A public acknowledgement of God is not even close to a state sponsered religion.

You have alot of people in this country finding out that there is power in "being offended". Not because of any constitutional right but because of an intellectually skewed sense of political correctness.

I doubt that the kids making a big deal about this really care about it at all. They, like so many others, have seen the opportunity to make waves and show off by playing the victims.
The end result is a form of censorship that the majority isn't in favor of. We find ourselves, once again catering to the cry babies.
Tyler

London, KY

#31 May 4, 2013
Check your supreme court ruling: the only reason that Congressional prayer or in God we trust is allowed is they are recognized as Ceremonial Deity!

Which means those phrase don't have any substantive meaning, which is why they are legal?

I know it's confusing, but if the court ruled that we were praying to 'GOD' it would be illegal, but god as ceremony is just fine.

So, the God that Lincoln county students are praying to is 'legally' only ceremony, not to be taken literally or as if an actual god exists! Even though individuals may regard their God as real...
oh my goodness

Hillview, KY

#32 May 4, 2013
Blah blah blah all you want. In the end you will all know the truth. Believe as you will for now but there will come a day when "EVERY" knee will bow. That, you can guarantee.

Level 5

Location hidden

#33 May 5, 2013
oh my goodness wrote:
Blah blah blah all you want. In the end you will all know the truth. Believe as you will for now but there will come a day when "EVERY" knee will bow. That, you can guarantee.
Why don't you go ahead of us,and report back the truth.
Because we all know God was an astronaut.
Frankly speaking

Elizabethtown, KY

#34 May 5, 2013
Bronston Man wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly, let 'em all get up there and speak on praise their god during a graduation.
Little Hindu kids can go talk about Krishna or 4-armed Vishnu, witchy kids can lead the assembly in praising the Earth Mother, sure somebody could even lead a prayer to Satan. Come on, we're not weak we can hear it right?
Personally I'd like to thank Odin for my diploma. Or maybe Zeus.
i want to thank the goddess,ezz Aphrodiety and Athena in person for mine.
Ben There

Somerset, KY

#35 May 5, 2013
Back in the early '90s, just before my high school graduation, our principal pulled the exact same stunt. He said that a public, communal prayer would not be allowed in order to avoid offending just a few non-believers.

But did we listen to him? Nope. All of us graduating just brought our rattlesnakes, anyway.
manfromthewest

Somerset, KY

#38 May 6, 2013
spontanious prayer can happen.. the Godly students just get together and decide who will do it.. i have a feeling the prayer will be answered with thunderous applause for those standing up for their faith and american traditions. and yes, the houses of congress both have chaplins and open with prayer
Tired

Esperance, NY

#39 May 6, 2013
carson wrote:
Public acknowledgement of God is not practicing religion..
The supreme court says otherwise and since the school does receive funds from the federal government they have to follow the fed rules which do represent the views of the majority in the nation.

Why don't they just have a prayer AFTER the diplomas are handed out and after a short recess. That way people who don't want to stay for that part can leave?
Kentucky Proud

Somerset, KY

#40 May 6, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>The supreme court says otherwise and since the school does receive funds from the federal government they have to follow the fed rules which do represent the views of the majority in the nation.
Why don't they just have a prayer AFTER the diplomas are handed out and after a short recess. That way people who don't want to stay for that part can leave?
Or better yet, how bout they obey the law instead of using kids to make a political statement. Leave it to the religious wakadoodles to spoil the graduation just so they can force their beliefs on others.

Level 5

Location hidden

#41 May 6, 2013
Nope wrote:
Jesus never gave a public prayer. He always said to pray in private. Some people just want others to think they are better than everyone and have a direct line to God. They just love to hear themselves talk.
The last thing he did on the cross was, pray in public.

Level 5

Location hidden

#42 May 6, 2013
Tired wrote:
<quoted text>The supreme court says otherwise and since the school does receive funds from the federal government they have to follow the fed rules which do represent the views of the majority in the nation.
The law does not represent the majority of the people.It represents what the aclu wants.
Old

Esperance, NY

#43 May 6, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
The last thing he did on the cross was, pray in public.
That's irrelevent since not everyone believes in Jesus. If you don't want Sharia law 75 years from now, you have to defend that religion is optional and not to be sponsored by the state. That includes not trying to make this a "Legally," Christian country. Personally I think it should also mean revoking tax exempt status for churches, but that's a different topic.

Level 5

Location hidden

#44 May 6, 2013
Old wrote:
<quoted text>That's irrelevent since not everyone believes in Jesus. If you don't want Sharia law 75 years from now, you have to defend that religion is optional and not to be sponsored by the state. That includes not trying to make this a "Legally," Christian country. Personally I think it should also mean revoking tax exempt status for churches, but that's a different topic.
Churches should pay taxes.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#49 May 7, 2013
Gomer-ez wrote:
<quoted text>
The law does not represent the majority of the people.It represents what the aclu wants.
the LAW of ONE represents balance. justice is the ultimate form of righteousness.

laodicea = "justice of the people"

no one, or nothing, can be above the law.

Deuteronomy 25:13
Thou shalt not have in thy bag divers weights, a great and a small.

Proverbs 20:10
Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to the Lord.

Proverbs 20:23
Divers weights are an abomination unto the Lord; and a false balance is not good.

Proverbs 21:3
To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

John 14:26
But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

comforter = advocate

http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/l...
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#50 May 7, 2013
Revelation 19:11
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Grady

London, KY

#51 May 7, 2013
Nope wrote:
Jesus never gave a public prayer. He always said to pray in private. Some people just want others to think they are better than everyone and have a direct line to God. They just love to hear themselves talk.
Jesus did pray in public...feeding of the 5,000...after Lazuraus was raised from the dead and while he was on the cross even. What he did say is don't pray in public for show like the religious leaders who stand on the corner and pray to the crowds. He was instructing people to go off by themselves to be more intimate with God in your prayers that way rather than in public. But certainly Jesus gave thanks to God in public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Somerset Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hey Hatti. (Jan '12) 2 min Hatti_Hollerand 32,711
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 17 min ChromiuMan 151,661
al the girls 2 hr patty 18
Eric Jenkins where are you? 2 hr Pcgirl 4
Misty broughton (Jul '09) 3 hr Shelley broughton 3
Mona 4 hr hottie 3
what happened at Mcdonalds 8 hr Rusty Nutzs 14

Somerset Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Somerset Mortgages